All writing published for Flash Fiction Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

2
1

thoughtfullyclueless (Pakistan) published:

D(R)emi

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I called her Remi. To me, she was perfect. Remi was confident and graceful. She knew what she was doing. 
Remi didn't have a panic attack in public. They didn't laugh at her. They didn't pull her pigtails. Remi didn't have pigtails. Remi was perfect. She didn't feel lonely. Remi didn't break down on the bathroom floor. She didn't hide her troubles. She didn't have any troubles. 
Everyone liked her. 
Remi wasn't me. I was Demi, only half of what...

2
1

Shraddhaa (India) published:

THE BIRTH OF ENDS

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I was dissolved in my heart beat,
  so deep you cannot think,
  so close to the home within me,
   you don't even blink!

​The threads of courage that time had woven on my skin untied themselves and I could hear the story that they spoke up..heavy breaths engulfed me..every buried emotion began to regrow...unspoken words echoed in my head.

A movie tape of the strongest memories seemed to be glued to my pupil. I share a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Katie Jezard (United Kingdom) published:

Death’s Door

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

He rocked on his chair, the flickering candles casting shadows on his wax-like face, a mad glint in his creased eyes. They stared at the door, patiently, as if waiting for something. But the clock ticked on. 10pm. 11pm. 12pm. 

Knock. Knock.

The light vanished. The clock stopped. The room silenced. He wobbled of the chair, his bones grinding against each other as he grasped the rusty handle. In the doorway, stood the waited visitor; dressed in a long cloak...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

PureHeart (United Kingdom) published:

A Gun To The Head

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Betrayal.

Flurries of colour. Shades of red and blue clashing together on a blank canvas. Goosebumps prickling at my skin as I sweat and shiver. Everything flashes before me; the good, the bad, the ugly, and him. His soft chuckle lulling in my ear; his scent of cologne and leather lingering in the air. His kiss I still taste on my chapped, quivering lips. My feelings, a kaleidoscope: heart-wrenching, hands shaking,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Alyssa Josey-Durham (United States) published:

Curiosity

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Natalie has always wondered about the trunk in the corner of her roommate's room. She had only seen it once when her roommate forgot to close her door but when she asked her about it she threatened to kill her. "She can't be serious..." She thought. One day the curiosity got the better of her and she snuck in her roommate's room and picked the lock on the trunk and what she found sent her into a panic. What she didn't...

1
1

Jai (Canada) published:

Little Fireflies Everywhere

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I remember that day as if it was yesterday - the cold grass, her warm embrace. On Mother Nature’s bed we laid for hours, admiring the stars’ twinkles. The night’s cold kiss awakened my tears, though I wasn’t emotional. A light blinked next to me and caught my young eyes. It blinked again just to tease me.

“What’s that?”

She smiled. “It's a firefly. Fireflies are little stars that come to light our way when we find ourselves in darkness.”
...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

cgintz (United States) published:

Maybe a Dream

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I finish my homework around 1:36 am. I turn off my lamp and try to fall asleep. Around 2:15, there is a big boom coming from outside.  I run to the window and look up to see a firey streak in the sky. Suddenly, my phone starts blaring, telling me that a meteor is headed for my city. I run to parents room and hold them tight. 10, 9, 8, 7.... I jolt awake and look at the clock. 2:16...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kingsflame (Sweden) published:

Odyssey of the Windwalker

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Choosing between the two doors in front of him might be the hardest thing he had ever done. One door lead in to the home of the kindest woman he had ever met. He gazed in through the frosty window and saw her sitting by the fireplace, her wrinkled face soft. As if she sensed his presence she looked towards him. Altough it was impossible for her to see him now, she nodded with understanding to his unasked question. With...

Seeking Peer Reviews

t.w00d (United States) published:

Man Gone Mad

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

“Oh my god!” “What just happened?”, he said. His team had been losing every game as if a curse had been put on them. The opposing team scored again, “What’s going on!”, he said. His wife was tired of his yelling. “Shut up!”, she yelled. The game continued and only got worse. His wife had almost had enough of his continuous yelling. The fourth quarter came and his team threw an interception. He grabbed the TV and threw it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Thomaria C (United States) published:

WASTED

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Muting the helpless screams of the infant laying next to her, she continued to light the spoon that held the key to all of her problems. The cool, early morning breeze soothe her skin as the toxins entering her body begin to sting her insides.
"Waahhhh!" the hungry baby cried in agony. Angrily, she snatched the infant up from the old couch, walked to the window and instantly was at peace. 

Seeking Peer Reviews

AndyB (United States) published:

Enter but never leave

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Winter, a time of frigid cold and icy paths is but a simple discomfort for them, as they slide and slink through the dark, dank, soil around them. "Wait!," one of them shouts in a whisper. "What,what is it?," the rest whisper as they turn to her. CRRK! they all hear as they crowd her, the largest but shortest of them all. "It is time!" a guttural voice echoes from above. The ground begins to shake and again they all...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Curiosity

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Natalie has always wandered about the trunk in the corner of her roommates room. She had only seen it once when her roommate forgot to close her door and when she asked her roommate about it she threatened to kill her in her sleep if she kept asking about it because her roommate was from a rough place in New York. One day the curiosity got the better of her and she snuck in her roommates room while she was gone...

maddier (United States) published:

Lavender

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

When they met, the scent of lavender was the first thing that he noticed as it wafted through the door behind her. 
Then there was that magical night where he tucked the small sprig behind her ear as he gazed into her eyes. The pale purple flowers stood out against her fiery hair. They kissed goodnight under the winking of the stars.
This time there won’t be a goodnight kiss, he thought as he placed the bunch of lavender on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

QueenAriana (United States) published:

The Other Side of the Reflection

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Reflections are supposed to work like mirrors, right? And water is reflective? If that’s true, then why is this lake different?

Behind me, there’s a white gazebo draped with fuchsia. To the left, pink and yellow trees buzzed with flitting bluebirds.

I’m looking into the lake, but the picture is distorted.

In the reflection, topiary bushes line the pool. A burgundy tree with dark red and orange leaves was the only one in...

1

mossmachinery (Philippines) published:

Of Moss And Machine

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The machine rose without command, and its smooth, burnished surface reflected chaos. White coats fired shots as the machine brought itself higher still, closer and closer to the concrete that it had once viewed from so far away. 

Metal shattered the ceiling, sending to the ground masses of concrete that landed with a terrible thud. Bullets began to dent the shell that was made to be indestructible, and it could barely hear the birds calling. But the machine saw the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Idk... (United States) published:

Surfer's Wave

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I grabbed my surfboard and headed down to the beach. It felt like a normal cloudy day. I went into the water and giant wave came crashing down on me. As I am swimming in the water I feel like I can breathe. As I swim around “clear tacos” bobbing up and down next to me. Then I see blue blobs torpedo down into a giant group of fish. I see a dolphin with a baby whale, like a...

2
1

jonathan huang (Taiwan) published:

A Window Unlit

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Tristan traced the light droplets of her footstep. Each step nearer, his heart pounding like mad. Her shadow carried a pale perfume through the air, and he caught up.

‘Would you like to go somewhere?’ He did not know her name. 
‘Oh...’ Silence. Blushing. ‘I know a place.’
‘That’d be—’
‘But I’m moving away—somewhere mum says is far away.’ she said as her gaze blended into the distance.

Four days later when Tristan meandered past her house and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

KaitlynBFGHS (Australia) published:

Untitled

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

She sat up tall, her spine following the curve of the chair, fingers hovering over the keyboard, ready to type away. Her brain straining, trying to think of a concept to write about. She slumped down and sighed heavily. Sitting silently, staring apathetically at the blank document. She was on the verge of admitting defeat and slamming the lid of the laptop, when an idea sparked. With wide eyes, her fingers danced across the keys, rendering her thoughts onto the page.

1

Oscar_Locke (Australia) published:

Charlie Pew

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

“Leave that box.”

I turn, hug it to my chest. Mrs Pew smiles at me. In the afternoon sun, the curves of her face are underlined. On her cheeks, tears shimmer, streak. 

“Why?”

“It’s Charlie’s.”

Her voice is light and heavy, her hands gripping his varsity jacket, a size too large. It’s zipper disappears; a flicker between fingers. She watches the sky.

The flashing of his face; the screams to slow down. Flying forwards --

“I’ll take it back...

Confusedsoul (India) published:

TWO FACES

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

TWO FACES
The skies cried. The wind wailed. But the boy sat still . He looked over the floating broken parts of houses, the dead bodies of cattle and people,. An uncomfortable word echoed through the air-"Help". All that was left was him and the unaffected tree on whose tall branch he sat. The beautiful rain which always brought a smile to his face had...
Seeking Peer Reviews

I'm confused (Australia) published:

Stuck

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Bored. She was bored, she was cramped. She couldn't stretch her limbs out enough. It was stuffy, she was sitting next to a window she couldn't open that looked out into an abyss. She was sitting there in between the window that couldn't open and a suitcase so large she couldn't see the person who'd thoughtfully dumped it in between her and them. She was stuck. She was stuck, she couldn't get out into the aisle or the abyss....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Dragonfire (Australia) published:

Young at Heart

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

He loved to run.
Feet pounding the gravel, cold air burning his lungs. He'd spent his childhood running this path. Here the wombat-shaped rock; there, a few metres away, the flowered bench he'd painted with his granddaughter, Alice.
He'd fallen into a rythym now, one he could continue indefinitely.
"Excuse me, d'you need help?" 
He waved his cane angrily at the interrupter.
"I can run by myself!" 
Drat. She'd disrupted his rythym. Shuffling over to the bench he drew out...

5

Artburger (Australia) published:

Gutless

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Inhale… Pick up the knife. Exhale… Walk towards the table.

I put one hand on the smooth flesh and stared into its lifeless eyes, holding my breath to keep from gagging on the smell. Might as well get this over with. I turned the body over and slid the knife into the flesh just below the head and dragged down, blood staining my hands. I dug my fingers in, removing various organs. An impatient knock on the door brought my...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

MP (Australia) published:

On Normality and a Faint Wristwatch

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

My watch stopped this morning. Its tender little hands came to a halt before my eyes, laying in repose at twenty-past six. Only once before, many long years ago, had I not worn it, when I left it alone sitting upon my loveless dressing table. Today was the second time. I wanted to cry all day: I felt naked. I yearned for it so, but its use had expired beyond this mortal world, becoming but an empty shell washing about...

Seeking Peer Reviews

TerenNeret (Malaysia) published:

birthday

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Lucy glared at candles streamed with pink tears. Why do they get to cry when they can’t even feel? Alice had berated her for sobbing before slamming a door as dark as the chocolate frosting she made for today. Lucy’s thundering pulse looped the memory as she scrutinised the wavering flames. They’re like her during Mum and Dad’s gunfights or ‘disagreements’. 
Inhaling deeply, worn but loved leather sofas and fire filled her lungs. The living room suddenly became red- when...

Seeking Peer Reviews