All writing published for Flash Fiction Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Arshi Das (United States) published:

adolescence and allergy season

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

head in a daze for days, can’t think straight. blurry visions and red eyes in my reflection, though i can’t be sure because my vision is blurry. clouds in my peripheral, come to think of it- kind of looks like smoke. small tablets feel heavy in my pocket and i’m positive i inhaled something earlier. my skin feels flaky and i’m staring down at my fingers, beginning to wonder if they will shrivel off, when we pass each other in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

grayson123 (United States) published:

Self-proclaimed Artist

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The crunch of the gravel under her feet decreases as the ground gradually solidifies. Up, up, up she climbs, past the bent wire fences and the weeds growing through the cracks on the pavement and the incessant mooing of the cows. Past an abandoned farmhouse with wood planks scattered around dried grass, looking like a scene straight out of a French paysage painting.
She chuckles. That was good; I should write that down.
She silently narrates her journey up,...

Renata Shen (United States) published:

Eliana's

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Her hands wrap around her apron, twisting the soiled cloth. She pauses, unsure how to reason with the coffee grounds collecting on the deluge; flies buzzing around the vinegar; batter crusting on her hands.

Nausea dredges her in heat. It’s kicking her again, the sensation that surrenders her, once again, to misplaced tears and wasted nights. Why? She curses silently at it, the life that sucks out every bit of her own. 

A family of three --sunscreen,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

KaitlynMatthews (Canada) published:

No Point Dreaming When There's No Bread

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Lou had been eyeing the kite since Christmastime, but Mama’s words rung in her ears,
“Don’t be so selfish, Louise. Now for cryin’ out loud, change the baby’s diaper!”
 The sun shone through the window on the kite, welcoming it to lift into the blue sky. A dollar in her pocket, s’posed to be for bread. Some girl in silk pink bought the kite.  She was in Lou’s class, at least when Lou wasn’t too busy as the oldest at...

1

bwaydreams <3 (United States) published:

Wish

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Light periwinkle sky with a trace of wispy white clouds. Dew shimmering on the vivid green grass, glancing over soft-spun spiderwebs. The whisper of crickets in the background. 

A tiny tear trickles down my cheek and finds a home among the folds of my skirt.

A singular white, puffy dandelion.

I pick it up. The dandelion.

Bright white sun, shining in my eyes.

Another tear.

A faint callinin my peripheral, drowning out the crickets' solemn song.

I breathe...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Turquoise (India) published:

Chasing Butterflies

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Butterflies are pretty, Father.

Stay on the path to reach the playground.

I stepped on the dewy grass to chase the butterflies.

Don't you want to play on swings and slides?

I didn't turn back. 

That was years ago. I'm older now.

Think of your future.

I do as he says...

Stay on the path to reach success, money, and fame.

...only to realize I'd rather have butterflies...

Pursue definite goals.

...but I can't.

So I choose the most definite...

1

Mavis G. (Australia) published:

The Broken Scales

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Who holds the scales?

Nobody ever sees them, except for her. There are four white walls and a lady, always. And the scales. Golden, pretty, embroidered things. Justice shouldn't need such paraphernalia, but alas, She rather does. 

Taciturn eyes atop a sewn-shut mouth. On a velvet throne, with golden hair, twirling and twirling. When the paint peels, as the air grows fetid and stale, twirling. When the scales fall and break, always twirling.

Unsettling, isn't it? A deep feeling, a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Turquoise (India) published:

Chasing Butterflies

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Butterflies are pretty, Father.

I didn't turn back. 

That was years ago. I'm older now.

Think of your future.

I do as he says...

...and realize I'd rather have butterflies...

Pursue definite goals.

...but I can't.

So I choose the most definite thing...

2
1

lavenders (United States) published:

To Have A Mother

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I had a wonderful afternoon. We were having a grand time. That day, I had a real mother. We sat in the restaurant; we ate magnificent scoops of dessert. We talked. It was all new; there was hope of a beautiful relationship beginning to stir. We got home. 
“Would you like to watch a film, mom?”
“Sure. Give me a minute.”
Then I watched her walk to her darkened room. She threw back a bottle and took a dozen gulps....

christinexro (United States) published:

Privileged

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

We have the same black hair. Same brown eyes. Even the same tan, as if I hadn't spent my whole life without her, my mother. She said that she wanted to give me a "better" life, an "advantageous life, a "privileged" life, and that was why she - 

My phone pings.

I'm here! So excited to hear how it went! XD

My heart sinks - Oh, Mom - then it thuds. What should I say? Finally, I look at my mother....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Marerider (United States) published:

Bittersweet Endings

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I close the exceptionally, thick book with a satisfying thump and let out a deep sigh. 
"Why are the most intriguing books always so short?" I whisper into the stillness of my bedroom. Glancing at the cover I smile as I remember the scene it depicts. It was a riveting book, packed with adventure, mystery, and just a sprinkling of romance. Running a finger along the spine I trace the silver title. Unfortunately, I'll never be able to read this book...

Seeking Peer Reviews

⋆ katie ⋆ (United States) published:

Desolate

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The flutter of her lashes marked the first time she had opened her eyes in twenty years.

She was locked in her body, a coma, where she was forced to listen to the devils in her mind, singing their tunes. She was only given an occasional oxygen treatment; the world did not have the resources for a constant supply.

She gasped for air as she awoke, now twenty years older. The window which usually framed paintings of nature was now...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Klara Eales (South Africa) published:

Healthy Habits

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

There is not enough oxygen... Those are the words screamed by my lungs as they struggle to drink in air. My lead-like legs no longer belong to a competent athlete but a lackluster mortal. Sinking into a crouching position, with my hands atop my head, I inhale deeply.
I hope this gets easier.
I stand with uneven breaths and my fingers wrap themselves around the familiar friend in my pocket. I inhale deeper this time, nicotine and tar filling my...

1

maddier (United States) published:

Lavender

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

When they met, the scent of lavender was the first thing that he noticed as it wafted through the door behind her. 
Then there was that magical night where he tucked the small sprig behind her ear as he gazed into her eyes. The pale purple flowers stood out against her fiery hair. They kissed goodnight under the winking of the stars.
This time there won’t be a goodnight kiss, he thought as he placed the bunch of lavender on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

FrazzyH (United States) published:

What's In A Drop of Water?

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Along the water's edge, the lake waits like an expectant tiger for its prey--for me--to leap. It's a lake of desires, destined only to kill. My brother had made the journey across, and even he hardly survived the water's whispers. 
Now, the water calls me, taunting me with its hoarse voice. That's how it catches its victims, luring them with empty promises of an ungodly glory, sucking them dry of hopes and dreams.
  It's only in vain that I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Katie Jezard (United Kingdom) published:

Death’s Door

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

He rocked on his chair, the flickering candles casting shadows on his wax-like face, a mad glint in his creased eyes. They stared at the door, patiently, as if waiting for something. But the clock ticked on...

Knock. Knock.

The light vanished. The clock stopped. The room silenced. He wobbled off the chair, his bones grinding against each other as he grasped the handle. In the doorway stood the waited visitor; dressed in a long cloak, a blackened hand emerged...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Saadia (United States) published:

Silence

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

She opens her mouth but only a breath of air escapes her lips. I stare at the floor, thinking how I will wear this mistake like chains forever. Silence fills the room and for some reason this scares me more than her yelling ever could. In silence you don't know what the other person is thinking. You don't know if you should speak or wait for them. We sat in silence for a while, both of us avoiding eye contact,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Wicked! (India) published:

Fallen Angels

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The breeze caresses my face, reminding me of her. I gaze at the stars twinkling against the inky-black sky, resembling faux diamonds she loved wearing in her hair.  

Papa once told me stars were fallen angels, people we'd loved and lost.  

I wonder if it’s true or another white lie adults tell kids, shielding them from Life’s harsh realities.  

It’s fictitious. Obviously. Stars aren’t dead people, but a bunch of gases. Yet I want to believe it—imagining her sparkling comforts me.  

Then I see...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Thomas MacArthur (United States) published:

American Fable: All Blood Matters

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

You are a healthy adult with a normal amount of blood.
Your accidentally stab your friend. He needs a transfusion from you, or he will die.
But you want to keep all of your blood, and have a slight aversion to needles, and are thus unwilling to go through the annoyance of donating.
Your friend tells you, “Help me, I need blood.”
You respond, “Everyone needs blood,” and then you walk away, leaving your friend to bleed out.

Moral: You...

morganstearns (United States) published:

Just a Walk

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

All of a sudden. I hit a solid structure. I look up to see HIM. I feel heat rushing to my cheeks as I start apologizing.

"It's ok, Miles. You seem to be out of it would you like to talk about it?" HE says with his bright blue eyes twinkling.

"Not really. I must resolve it myself but thanks." I say, I start walking

"Well, Can I just walk with you ok?" HE says as he strides catching up...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

ns01 (United States) published:

Only Time Will Tell

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The Northbound A train skidded to a halt. Percy leaned against a column, swinging his rusted pocket watch like a pendulum. 
    “Jeffrey! Hurry inside,” a young woman called out as she nudged the boy forward. Just as she stepped onto the train, she turned suddenly to look at Percy, who was staring at her intently. 
    The resemblance was so remarkable that he could almost smell her vanilla perfume. He remembered how carefully she pressed the pocket watch into...

1
1

christinexro (United States) published:

Privileged

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

We have the same black hair. Same brown eyes. Even the same tan, as if I hadn't spent my whole life without her, my mother.

She said that she wanted to give me a "better" life, an "advantageous life, a "privileged" life, and that was why she - 

My phone pings.

My heart sinks.

Oh, Mom.

My heart thuds.

What should I say?

Finally, I look up at my birth...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

leonardohinnant (United States) published:

A Drafty Night

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

She lowered herself onto the brown wicker chair. The moonlight shone through the open window, her white curtains flowing in the wind. The soft light lit the vanity in front of her, just enough to see her face. She grabbed the detailed metal brush off of her vanity counter. She looked up quickly; in the reflection of the mirror she saw a figure. A man, a man she felt like she recognized. His features sharp, his smile sinister,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

taylorhakimi (United States) published:

A Simple Glance

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The clock struck 12:31 P.M. It was surprising the bathroom was empty this time of day. I ran the cheap brush through my hair and stared at myself. This time was going to be different. I knew it. The bickering of the other children got louder. I treaded down the stairs past the Head-minister's office. It was empty; a wave of fear ran through me. The Head-minister's voice rose as she entered the foyer with two eager adults...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

K-9crazy (United States) published:

More Than a Miner

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Roy crawled from the ground red faced and fuming, as blood dripped from his nose.
“You’ll pay for this you rat!” he yelled, and glaring at my defender, limped away, wiping the blood on his sleeve.
The Miner turned to me, grinning.
“You hurt?”
“Not badly.” I said, struggling to my feet.
“Name’s John.” he said and held out his hand. I grasped it with a hearty shake, for to deny his calloused hand would have been to shun that...

Seeking Peer Reviews