All writing published for Flash Fiction Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Mary Wall (United States) published:

Haunted

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Rain pattered softly on the leaky roof of the old mansion like the delicate feet of a fairy, dancing across the shingles. Brielle clenched her fists, heart aching. She hated being alone in this drafty house---remembering the days when it was filled with laughter and the voices of her family. Where had the time gone?
    Her eyes ached from unshed tears and she begged her body for the relief of unconsciousness. She hovered just out of reach of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

bazinga! (Canada) published:

Oh, Papa

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

A man with skin like crinkled paper sits on a wooden chair in his living room. Sunlight pours through the windows to his left, drenching half his body in golden light.

The telephone rings. He stands up, bones a weight nearly too heavy to bear, and answers the call. It’s his daughter. Through broken sobs, she informs him his son has been murdered. Stabbed, a hundred times—you couldn’t recognize his face. She says the murderer left plenty of evidence...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Avani S Kashyap (United States) published:

The Unwelcome Echo

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

“Hey Katy, did you do anything interesting?”

“Eh- Not really, just studying, stressing, sleeping...”

2 minutes pass and we’re sitting in awkward silence. I run through the past 3 hours and find my saving grace.

Looking around the room, I lower my voice. “Oh my god, Mary is so fake! Yesterday, she couldn’t stop telling me how annoying Sally was, but this morning they were acting like best friends!” 

Dramatic statements ensue and before we know it, the bell is...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Blobinator1212 (United States) published:

Four of a Kind

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

At last, a beautiful hand has embraced mine, and now it is time to grasp upon this prospect.  I am far down, after much misfortune, and ought to obey the words of my mother – ‘always cut your losses’.  But perhaps I succeed and prove over water, shall I ‘quit while I am ahead’, as said, by my father?  Or rather the result is besides care, and my grandfather’s words must be adhered – ‘never live life without taking risk’. ...

Sage Juanita (Australia) published:

Static Television

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Static television.
Always a distant crackling, but no real sound.
It is unlike a warm fire; quite the opposite in fact.
It is cold, shallow and mind numbing.

Once you’re in it, you’re stuck.
It swallows you whole, engulfs all that you are until suddenly,
you are left an empty shell of what you once were.

There is strength in one trying to find a solution so that they no longer have to live in isolation.
We’re all...

Seeking Peer Reviews

liv.luv.act (United States) published:

Altered State

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Breathing heavily, I speak into the phone. “Three days ago, men in suits took my father. I tried to look for him at his work. I had always thought he worked at a hospital, delivering babies. Hardly! I don't understand it all, but... My society is not what I thought it was, not as natural as I thought it was. I think there’s more to the story, but I'm not sure who I can trust. I-”
    I inhale...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

howareyoudoing (Canada) published:

Growing Pains

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Yesterday, she was twelve, at her first school dance, standing alone in cheap, glittery makeup and a frilly dress. The previous day, eight, towering over a small boy with wide eyes, sneering as best a child can. The day before, four—every hour a blur. She remembers shouting, broken glasses, the piercing slam of the door, never opened again.

And now, at sixteen, as she slumps on her tattered sofa at 11:57p.m., the TV illuminating her face in somber silver, she...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Alyssa Manning (United States) published:

Lonely Old Man

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Alone an old man rises for breakfast, another day gone by.  Glance over in the mirror, see all of his dreams were lies.  He goes about the town, no one knows his name.  Many familiar faces, they turn away in shame.  Living life all alone, he feels like no one cares.  His view of life distorted, he feels all the people stare.  He turns to share a smile, but no one is there. In the darkness he hides his...

1

nonriel (Canada) published:

Pufferfish

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

If you’re in the ocean and notice a floating beach-ball with thin, pointy spikes, resist your curiosity and swim away. Do not go near it; do not touch it. When you discern the beach-ball is actually a pufferfish, do not eat it—no matter the eagerness of your taste buds. Should you fail to heed this advice and cook the pufferfish, your tongue, savoring its subtle flavor, will quickly turn numb, as will your lips. You’ll attempt pushing the plate away,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

WiseAthGeek (United States) published:

Never Again

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Laying in the grass, flowers grazing my cheeks. Stars above illuminated the grin on my face. I gripped dandelions, rejoicing in our shared tie to the earth, a feeling I had missed dearly. I closed my eyes, waiting. 
    Warm summer wind brushed across me, I rested to the sound of crickets in the woods lining the valley. 
    Grass crunched behind me. A steady rhythm. Footsteps grew faster and louder. My name was shouted, and they fell...

Seeking Peer Reviews

wildflower (United States) published:

Midnight Strike of Time

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Near midnight, Kevin and his son quietly waited for Big Ben. Funds were tight making London impulsive, but it was necessary.

For the past three months, Kevin sat in the musty attic sifting through boxes of his late father's keepsakes. Finding the picture of him and his father seeing Big Ben, Kevin knew where to go.

Suddenly, the chime started. Kevin grinned and tugged at Papa's arm. He looked up, but Papa was gone.
Striking again, the timbre jolted a...

14

loveletterstosappho (United States) published:

skinny-dipping

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

You haven't gone swimming since the diagnosis, and maybe you shouldn't, but you feel so alive teetering on the lake's edge where a breeze traces the lines of your limbs and cold water laps at your toes. Above you, cicadas sing so eagerly you're sure they're celebrating your shared freedom, their tiny bodies pulsing. The lake reflects hazy, blurred constellations; you can already anticipate your body slicing through Ursa Major and breaking into the cosmos, thrill and stardust soaking your...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Garrett (United Kingdom) published:

elephants.

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Mount Everest. Eight thousand metres up. The death zone, it's called. Five elephants died there.
You wonder how they climbed the mountain.
Don't. 
Wonder why they tried.

Because elephants are clever- unusually so. They can sense subtler things than us.
Things that haven't happened yet.
They can feel the seismic sirens of storms, earthquakes, oncoming disasters, at which point they retreat to higher ground.

Mount Everest. Eight thousand metres up. The death zone, it's called.
That's the highest ground there is.
...

Briisme (United States) published:

Our School

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

“Go left! Wait no go right!,” Maria said. “We’re going to be late for our first day in school!”. 
     I flinched as I watched my dear friend attempt to decipher directions.
     “Follow me,” I sighed.
”You excited?,” I asked.
     “More nervous,” Maria said. “I’m not sure if I’ll fit in.”
    I tried to comfort her with a reassuring response. 
     “I’m confident there are others like us,” I replied. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Garrett (United Kingdom) published:

elephants.

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Don't. 
Wonder why they tried.

Things that haven't happened yet.

That's the highest ground there is.
...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Briisme (United States) published:

Our School

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Cover your ears, close your eyes, don’t let it sense you. Hold your breath, stay as still as possible, don’t let it scare you. It’s words will haunt you, it’s tone will intimidate you, it’s stories will bring you to tears. But keep in mind, you must not let it get to you. It’s everywhere, yet discrete. It’s evil, yet necessary. It’s the understatement of the century. It’s script is filled with lies, but also truths. It’s the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Eveona (United States) published:

Moroccan Night

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Unnamed girl. Weaving through the cars forced to a halt by the red light. Our driver rolls up the window when he sees her. She sprays Windex on the glass and holds up a cheap plastic squeegee. The driver waves her away. There is no money for you here. She turns toward another car. Sprays again. The sheet of white foam melts down our window—slowly, inevitably, despairingly—drying into a blurred, shapeless smudge. I steal guilty glimpses of her through the...

Briisme (United States) published:

Our School

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

You wake up, lights and curtains automatically open. The robot prepared you’re breakfast. No need to walk the dog, it’s also robotic. This is common. Everyone wears scarfs that regulate oxygen intake when stepping outside. Smogs everywhere. The recent generation views this as the norm. Who wouldn’t want to live in a society where lazy is the new cool? Who wouldn’t want to have an ever-so soft chunk of metal as a pet? Who wouldn’t want to live...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rome (United States) published:

Mangroves, I Suppose

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I sit across from a line of trees. I see the nearest in a steady breeze, and I see the hanging branches perpetually drooped, forever pushed down by the wind. In those leaves are the seashore rocks, raw boulders, cliffs. But with every fresh current they all shudder like a wave washing itself away. It begins to feel like the waves will always come. There will always be winds...though the tree will not always stand there. The thought is moribund—a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ariana G (United States) published:

When is Fine Not Fine?

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The break is there from the beginning. They cover it with duct tape and tell themselves that it’s fine for now. The break grows and grows and yet- it’s fine for now. They put rocks over it to cover it, but rocks erode. Water is spilled into the break, but the water freezes and widens the break into a gaping hole.  The water disappears and they look at the hole that was once a break.   

“It’s fine for now.”  
...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

SalmaKai (Morocco) published:

Them

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

She eyed him from afar, music pounding in her ears and her hair in the wind.
He looked at her from the window, the sound of emptiness screaming in the void of his existence and the sun blinding him.
Her eyes were red from crying all day, his from smoking all night.
Her heart was aching, his was shattered.
It wasn’t love at first sight, it was love after dark nights and darker days, it was waking up after a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

cynicalettuce (United States) published:

Home

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I stepped into the dim bathroom. I knew I didn’t have much time left. Before long, they’d be standing in my mirror, waiting to take me. Whether I’d let them or not was entirely up to me. I turned on the faucet and let the mirror fog over. I stared at the person looking at me through the mirror.

“Are you ready?” I sighed gruffly and snapped my fingers. I teleported deep into a forest. I cannot go back to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Briisme (United States) published:

Our School

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

It’s 6:00 AM, the sound of thunder rumbling and rain pounding against the windows accompanied by spontaneous flashes of lightning, suddenly awoke me from my glorious sleep. I wanted to go back to sleep, but my photophobia, otherwise known as a fear of loud noises, haunted me awake. I pondered about what I can do to pass time. I turn to my trusty cellphone and scroll through the comical and relatable content. I began to wonder why it...

Poems1212 (United States) published:

Tigress

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I used to be invisible, an eroded heart and peeling skin. I allowed my own happiness to dissolve me into an abyss of nothingness; I should have known people are temporary, promises meaningless. I was alone, but I told myself I would grow back stronger, a tigress. Now I am invincible, a heart of stone and skin of thorns. Snow turned into fresh-cut grass, and I thought I gained confidence. But curled up under a blanket in the darkest hours...

2

AbigailSauble (United States) published:

At Stake

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

There was so much at stake.
   Penny Shaeffer dipped her toes into the ripple-kissed lake and considered her two options.
Sacrifice everything to believe in an unseeable force? 
Or live life as always, and hope for that to be enough?
   Her heart tightened with emptiness. It hurt to think about all that had happened. Summer camp, the shooting, and the funeral. Grief had turned into anger, anger to questions. 
Her best friend's last words still haunted her. 
  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews