All writing published for Flash Fiction Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Default avatar user icon
1

Jade Stevensen (United States) published:

Gone

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Standing there in the dark ravine, cold, wet, alone. She did not know what to do, where to go. All she knew is she wanted to go home. How she ended up there she does not know. You see she was just sitting there enjoying a show. But before she could know. She was stolen. Gone. 

Now she needed to find her way. Her way back to where it would be day. "I'll be there soon," she said. But from...

1 day ago

Default avatar user icon
1

Squidz2Nuts (United States) published:

Jinx and his girl

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I was awakened, rather abruptly, when my girl flopped onto our bed. Unusually, she still wore her silly back bag and paw warmers. Her hair had been sprawled out and her face was flat on the bed. Annoyed with the nap interruption, I sat on her hair. It was a while before she got up and, once again, interrupted my nap. She never cares about my naps. Curling around me, she began talking about what happened. ¨I curled my hair...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

0c8e74dc 0d8c 41d2 b8c8 ca802e5a78c5
3

parachutes (Canada) published:

What on Earth!

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

“Ummmmmmmmmm, sir we have a problem.Theres a massive horde of people coming towards the front gate laughing maniacally. What should I do?”

”Wait, what?”

”Ummmm theres a massive hoard of people laughing like deranged lunatics? And they’re kinda at the gate? I think they want in.......”

”I have a bad feeling about this Johnny...”

”Sir?”

”People don’t just go around....WHAT ON EARTH?

CRASH

SHUDDER

THUD

”Sir, they’ve breached the gate.”

”Sir? You still there?”

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

”Sir?”
...

1 day ago

Default avatar user icon

Squidz2Nuts (United States) published:

Jinx and his girl

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I was awakened from my nap, rather abruptly, when my girl flopped down on our bed. It was nothing unusual. I’d often been awoken by a good flopping, however, this one didn’t seem usual. She still had on that silly bag she wears on her back and her foot warmers were still on her feet. Her hands were covering her eyes and she made this moaning sound every few seconds. Annoyed with her terrible cat imitations, I stood up and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Owl
8

AJ - Izzy (Canada) published:

Future Pains

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

“Is this... me?"

My hand shook, dropping the ceramic frame coated in flowers. The shatter broke the woman in the picture into a million pieces, yet she still smiled up at me from the ground. I fell to my knees, my ears ringing. The woman's eyes, my eyes, reflected these young eyes full of tears. She had brilliant blue eyes and short hair, white streaked with brown. Wrinkled corners from smiling. Knobby fingers clutching a wooden cane. The worst...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Taballard (United States) published:

The Fight

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The fight was on. During Recess, Rob and Carl got into an argument over picking teams for a football scrimmage. Rob wanted the first pick but so did Carl. The two argued and argued until Rob threw a fist at Carl. Everyone froze. With Carl on the ground and Rob standing above him, the fight was on. Carl jumped back up and kicked Bob causing him to stumble a little but, was able to continue throwing  hands at Carl. The...

23032717 2016325688648515 1822837859209073757 n
8

Tushar Mandhan (India) published:

If Adam marries Steve

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

“If Adam marries Steve, then both of them will go to hell!” she told her 7-year old.
“But why?” he asked.
“Because it’s a sin!” she replied.
“But mommy, last week you told me God has made everyone as it is for a reason.” 
“Yes dear.”She replied.
“So, he made them so that he can punish them!” 
“No, for God, everyone is equal!” 
“But mommy............” 
“It’s time to sleep, dear!” she answered.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screenshot 20180508 221111
8

Lelyanotleyla (Kenya) published:

Boys Will Be Boys

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The first punch sent me reeling, more out of shock than pain. I couldn't tell what hurt more, my throbbing jaw or the look of disgust on his face. I've never seen tenderness morph into shame so fast. A flash of guilt flickered on his face. 

"He deserves more than that for what he just did," his father growled at him.

The uncertainty I had just seen slid off as the second punch came in. This time, the punch hurt...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Tumblr ovh1j5hsee1wqgl3lo3 250
6

literarynonsense (United States) published:

Death of a Neighbor

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Your knocks usually came after a fight with your girlfriend.  One knock for I'm ok, three for I'm not.  I listened through our shared wall, wishing it was me on the other side instead of her.

I attend your funeral through Facebook.  She sits up front, right next to the casket, wearing a ring over satin gloves.  I am jealous of the million ways she knew you, the million ways I didn't.  I wonder if the ring is yours.

There are...

Seeking Peer Reviews

P 20190809 193135
2

yukawuca (United States) published:

Four Walls

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Four walls cage me in. A scatter of distorting echoes. Flickering fluorescent lights, so bright. Whispers only I can hear. I tap on the ground. Flashes of color. A crash of notes. 
Then nothing. Everything fades, all is forgotten. Swallowed by darkness. 
From a  distance, a low vibration crawls closer until…  Sudden, mocking laughter pierces my conscience. A crumbling tower made of ice. Quickly receding, losing my grasp. I am pulled into a tornado of black wings. Sharp talons scratching...

485785210f84c31651f48989a0c871b1

NATBAT (United States) published:

Unicorns and Best Friends

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

My life as a unicorn was always long. It was full of sorrow, and this was the saddest moment. The girl looked up at me with her big brown eyes. She opened her mouth to tell me something, but as she gasped, the light in her beautiful chocolate-colored eyes went out and her gaze turned glassy. If only a unicorn could join her best friend as soon as the friend reached paradise. Alas, I had much longer to wait.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ebz5yyxuyaaj4jd

LeRhythmThief (United States) published:

No Mercy

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The searchlight of the moon could only cast upon so much, unable to uncover the ulterior motives of man. But even if the lunar lamp couldn't illuminate the lacerated lanes of Chicago, none could hide from the sight from this vigilante. A man who watched when the streets went dark... CatBoyNoMercy. With his claws out, he scoured about on the prowl, as stealthy as a silhouette upon a black background. He stalked in the after hours to cut down upon...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Write_the_Write_way (United States) published:

Dino Theory

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I've got a theory on why kids are so fascinated by dinosaurs, boys especially.  Boys like making messes and nothing makes a bigger mess than a huge dinosaur stomping around and knocking down everything in its path.  I can see that impulse in my own little boy, only three years old, when he decided on a whim to climb up a dinosaur statue, smearing priceless replicas with Crayola fingerpaint.  
    'Max, get down!"  I whisper-yell heart rate...

Screenshot 20180508 221111
7
1

Lelyanotleyla (Kenya) published:

Boys Will Be Boys

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The first punch sent me reeling, more out of shock than pain. I couldn't tell what hurt more, my throbbing jaw or the look of disgust on his face. He took a step closer which sent me scrambling backwards. A flash of guilt flickered on his face. 

The uncertainty I had just seen slid off as fast as the second punch came in. This time,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Toulvkfnkz41pq4wlaaj
1
1

wonder on the other side (United States) published:

Praying

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The ground quaked in rumbling waves as the earth yawned open in rigid gashes. Panic settled deep in the bosom of my chest and I turned to run home. Racing thoughts flooded my mind and it was through the trembling that I hastened across the streets. Pushing passed people and crumbling buildings there was nothing I could do to quench the fear inside. Dust burned my nostrils and screams filled my ears, but hope came quickly with the sight of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Download %282%29

Phenguinz_101 (Australia) published:

The Last Fart

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Dark clouds rampage the skies, brewing deadly thunder for the homes in Hoya. Bang! A huge lightning bolt strikes the middle of town, aiming for the homeless cat. “Meow meow-meow meow!” (Translated as “Oof, I just lost my 8th life!”) The meows flooded the streets, neon lights shimmering bright colours outside of the homes of Hoya. The skies looked down upon the streets, dying to the bright florescent lights that killed their dark true colours. “Wow I have magic powers,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screenshot 20190728 172852 1
6

pineapples (United States) published:

To Experience Joy

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

A mother held her baby who then began to cry.
She was terrified. She didn’t know what to do.
She lay the baby on the tabletop and called her husband.
When the baby’s crying reached its loudest, the husband entered with concern in his eyes.
The mother gestured frantically, saying that she had no idea what to do.
“Hold her,” he said. “Sing to her. Rock her body gently. Hug her tightly.”
She picked her up, sang and rocked her,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

HannaAA (United States) published:

I'm Not

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Screaming.
More shrieking than anything, but screaming makes it sound like I’m being chased down by a murderer. 
Gotta keep ‘em on their toes, right?
Ahh, the sense of humor I decided to obtain too little too late. Dead in 2 days, give or take. You’d think I’d be a little more exact with my time of departure. 
But hey, part of doomsday bucket list is skydiving!
Nothing gives you more courage than an expiration date.
But the exaltation, the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Quale feather
4

Alayna Landis (United States) published:

Writers Block

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The leathery notebook lay untouched on her desk as if to taunt her. Long abandoned it held the hopes and dreams of a young writer. A writer who once fought to showcase her world of beautiful imagery and wonderfully put together phrases; but who had instead been swallowed up by her mind of words, details, and grammar. This horrendous trap barricaded her from seeing the merit of what she could do. For as soon as she opened the warn front...

Tumblr ojbu5vugpa1rxx6vdo1 400
1

Eva Chang (United States) published:

She's Fine Art

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Sometimes, she wants to collect mirrors, the ones with gilded edges, the ones with sharp corners, and hoard them in the living room. She’d hang them up to the ceiling, and when there was no space, she’d lean them against the couches.

She wants to disappear into the glass so she can watch herself prance. She wants to see every smile, every crocodile tear. She wants to see nothing but herself—not her mother sauntering the hallways, or her father stalking...

Img 4592

IwillWRITE!13 (United States) published:

Wishes

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

They say She writes her wishes and worries and angers and dreams and hopes and prayers on little slips of paper. They say She writes the angers and worries on red pieces of paper, and buries them and plants flowers over them. They say wishes go on pale yellow slips, hopes on light pink, dreams on light blue, and prayers on pure white. They say She turns on the fans, throws them in the air, and dances in a snowstorm of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
2
1

paigepodesta (United States) published:

the crime

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

this roller rink is a sacred place. in its neon lights, she is quiet and wide eyed and scared. she is an atheist praying for forgiveness to the fluorescent doodles on the dirty carpet. her crime is only attending the church of cheap pizza and bruised knees to see a blonde girl from math class. her crime is practicing for two weeks on her driveway and still crashing into the girl she was trying so desperately to impress. her crime...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Aopa3816

Marcus Kuan (Singapore) published:

Fight For Your Life

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

It was cold. Cigarette lit. Puffs of smoke wafting through his lips. 
"Whadd'ya want." he snarled, showing his black teeth.   
I raised my hands up. 
He followed.
This man, Black Tooth Carl, ruined my life. 
And I'll ruin his jaw.
A quick jab flew towards my face as I swayed just in time. 
A roundhouse kick. 
A hook.
He crumbled to the ground in pain, teeth gone.
With a quick flick on his wrist, he lashed out.
A butterfly knife. ...

Aopa3816

Marcus Kuan (Singapore) published:

Fight For Your Life

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

I raised my hands up. 
He followed.
And I'll ruin his jaw.
A roundhouse kick. 
A hook.
A butterfly knife. ...

Default avatar user icon

RHTQ1 (United States) published:

Awaiting the Gong

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2019

The air and ground were quiet. Still. Awaiting the gong's vibration.

Griffin stared ahead, concentrating on her task. Crouched on the ground in preparation, she became her namesake, a symbol of power over land and air.

The air shifted with a shout from the crowd.

"Serafina, wait!"

Griffin's concentration slipped. Chasting herself, she ignored the outburst. It couldn't be for her. Impossible.

"Sister, you cannot fool me! Why do you run?"

The girl's calm exterior faltered. Her eyes filling with...
Seeking Peer Reviews