All writing published for Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition. See Competition

Published writing

2
2

Quille's Dead Account (United States) published:

An Audience of One

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

"The whole duty of a writer is to please and satisfy himself, and the true writer always plays to an audience of one." ~ William Strunk 

The girl sits on a rock shelf in the creek, pen and notebook in hand, as she quotes the above words. The start of her entry for Write the World's latest contest: Unplugged, What Would Life Be Like Without Social Media? It's an Op-Ed, not her favorite, but she's going to try...

6
2

shreyamap (United States) published:

Rejecting the False Dichotomy Surrounding Social Media

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

My day used to begin not with the sound of my alarm, but with the artificial light of a phone screen and the scroll through notifications that follow it. I’d been known to snore through consecutive alarms, but the influx of information first thing in the morning was the mental espresso shot that kept my eyes open long enough to roll out of bed.

And if this doesn’t sound familiar, you’re either lying, or you’re on the path to enlightenment.
...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

lovely (United States) published:

Silence

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

I seat a family of five in the back.
    In the back, which means the glasses are polished of any residue and the silverware laid out one by one. The napkins, folded into complex waves, adorn the plates and the white, linen tablecloth sits underneath it all. The seating is arranged in a small circle, so that no faces are forsaken in conversation.
    I take their order. I leave.
    When I return to the room in the back, I am...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Writer_By_Heart (Philippines) published:

Cyber Black Hole: Imprisoned by social media and its unrealistic standards

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

“When will my reflection show who I am inside?” This song from the Disney movie Mulan seems to perfectly echo the cries of the billions of people who plummeted to the dark abyss of social media where they are shackled by the iron chains of unrealistic standards, social expectations and public opinion. Based on the 2019 Global Digital Report, there are about 3.48 billion social media users in 2019, and the number of internet users worldwide is growing by an...

3
4

Jenna Matus (United Arab Emirates) published:

Triteness of Being

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

Set down your phone and pick up your wine glass. 

Feel the alcohol stinging your throat as it slips down to ignite your blood and think:

​I feel alive, I feel alive, I feel alive. 

Try to wash away the dreariness of digital debilitation. Those dreams of others could never be yours. Those dreams of others aren't even their own; they are constructed and calculated with precision. No-one can live your life but you. 

Try to find the real moments. Search with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
2

bride124 (United States) published:

Being Medialess Seems Like A Good Idea

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

How much children/adults have been affected by cyber bullying? Wait, don't answer that. Although, I may not be the best person to advocate this issue at hand but I do have something to say. Technology is everywhere. In our houses, at schools, in local businesses, anywhere really. Most likely, you are using technology when you don't even know it. Heck, I am using it right now! It is growing, developing, and increasing beyond imaginable! Although there is no problem...
Seeking Peer Reviews

3

A Certain Type of Decisive (United States) published:

Audience

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

You've been here long enough
to know what it feels like
to shove your opinions at a stranger,
teeth bared,
daring them to hate it.
I,
on "good" days
am able to tear out my own,
bloody,
beating heart
and smear it on a page
to show the world,
hoping it fascinates them for enough time for another
to grow in its place.
Maybe,
a long time ago,
it was out of my comfort zone,
but I can't remember what it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Janani Shiva (United States) published:

Social Media: The generation of Hashtaggers

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

2...6...10...50. As the number of likes we get on a post increases, so does our feeling of satisfaction. We crave virtual attention through social media whether we realize it or not. Scrolling through our feed every morning, every night, and every few hours in between can lead us to feel isolated and depressed. Brian Primack, the director of the Center for Research on Media, Technology, and Health at the University of Pittsburgh believes that we are more likely...

2

queerquotes (United States) published:

Stop Asking Me This Question

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

I am sick of being asked if I could live without social media. Adults spend an absurd amount of time wondering if social media is ruining the world. I’m here to say that it is the least of our problems. Sure, I wouldn’t want to live without social media. I can only speak from personal experience, but I turn off social media when I need to. I like talking to friends online, but there is no real reason I couldn’t...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

EmB (United Kingdom) published:

Online

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

It takes one click and your life is online. You share your hopes dreams and aspirations online and can never take them back. Once you’re online, you are ON line. Living life without an audience is a bizarre thing to think about. It’s saying that you are literally living with people knowing your every move, your personality, your life, your family, everything. Thinking about it like that you have to admit your life is not just yours anymore, that you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
2

WannabeYourEndgame (India) published:

SHAKE IT OFF

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

“It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to”, a wise man named Salinger once said. I agreed with him and decided that I’d write something that nobody can interpret and then people couldn’t help but agree with me in the end. Ha! Sometimes my own genius scares me.
 Anyways, moving on I was supposedto discuss how life without social media would be like. Hmm…..a smarter individual...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

WannabeYourEndgame (India) published:

SHAKE IT OFF

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Bearcat Potato (Canada) published:

The Spider Web of Social Media

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

"Waiting to upload."

My fifteen year old self waited patiently as the bar at the top of the screen gradually began to fill. As it completed, shots of my mom and I grinning beside the walls of the lower antelope canyon and our whole family sweating under the hot sun of Arizona took its spot on my Instagram page. In the next minute, the app was spamming with notifications – five likes, then twenty-five, then the rate dwindled. I sat still,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jessica S. (Canada) published:

Everything in Moderation

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

In today’s world of controversial subjects, a topic of interest is often social media. Like most opinion based questions whether or not social media is harmful is a question that most people only look at one side of. They believe it can only be either good or bad and stick to that side of the argument. Social media has both good and bad aspects and to decide which it is overall to you, all aspects need to be...

AJ Evans (United States) published:

Life Without an Audience

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

"A lot of us hide it very well. It is really true that it is the happiest ones you need to pay attention to. Or at least, you shouldn't ignore them." This is a quote taken from a teenager in today's generation, and it's importance goes beyond an explanation that can fit within this essay. A piece of the quote that should be emphasized is the first part, in which it is stated that teenagers hide it very well. Today,...

Cassie Nguyen (United States) published:

Beneficial or Harmful

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

As a teenager myself, I am found constantly using my phone during class, while doing homework, in the car, and etc. As much as I hate to admit, my life does revolve around my technology. Although this may seem very terrible and time consuming, I would not necessarily categorize phones as a destruction. Many adults in present society view phones as a huge distraction from opportunities in real life, which I can agree to an extent. I do truly believe...

r.r.v_ (United States) published:

Leave it Plugged In

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

When we limit ourselves to the small world of home, we stay ignorant of the bigger picture.

In today's world, news and activism reaches people's radars through social media.  I have seen countless stories on Instagram posting a company's photo in order to plant a hundred trees, posts detailing about the abortion ban in Alabama and other conservative states, captions consisting of paragraphs filled with news about natural disasters worldwide and certified links on where to help and donate to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Aaliyah (United States) published:

Social Media: Advantage or Hindrance?

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

"Catch us at any moment of the day and our eyes are staring at a screen. Interaction has been replaced by scrolling, posting, and liking. Hit ‘like’ to show the world that the person is your friend. Follow a person to say that you’re interested in their daily life. Post to pause your life in the moment, and show everyone that perfected smile.  We are walking through these precious moments with a phone in hand- the very moments which our...

Seeking Peer Reviews

AJ Evans (United States) published:

Life Without an Audience

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

Seeking Peer Reviews

12
3

PalmLeaf (Thailand) published:

Don't Unplug Society: Why Social Media Is Necessary For Our Generation

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

DING!
I have only just picked up my phone when the familiar sound of a notification bell chimes and my screen lights up with a message. 
    DING!
Someone commented on my Facebook post.
    DINGDINGDINGDDDDDINGDDDDDING! DINGDINGDING!
Those are from a group chat.

I confess: as a 16-year-old, I am a frequent user of social media. It has become an integral part of my life, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

EmeliaRichling (United States) published:

The Reality of Our Virtual Handheld Prison

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

Maya Angelou once stated, “If you’re always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.” In our generation, this statement rings true as people assimilate to our digitalized culture. When we open our Instagram feeds, we attempt to mimic the people who stare back at us. With the massive stores of perfect pictures, we shop for what appears idyllic and imitate it, blocking ourselves from reality. In our society, social media has created a...

1

Alfoncina (United Kingdom) published:

Insatiable

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

Social media and the generation of the Insatiable
 l like to thinks that the world we live in is fairly simple, we are all jsut lokkimg for one place in the world where we feel accepted. that can be through our family, friends and loved ones but what happens when we don't thinks that is enought o satisfy our need? Well, once gain the answer oif fairly simple, we look for substitutes  to feed our loneliness, this can be drugs,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

FizzyBaguette (Canada) published:

Opting Out of Social Media

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

As I downloaded Instagram, hesitancy lurked in the back of my mind. Although I knew how easily it could become an addiction, my friends convinced me that it would allow me to keep in touch with them easier. With a few clicks, I opted it, and it became an obsession that sucked away my time. I am not the only one struggling with social media addiction. According to Mediakix, it is estimated that 210 million people suffer from...

Seeking Peer Reviews

carnageinterlude (United Kingdom) published:

Social Media: We Just Can't Win

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

It’s lunchtime at college and my friends are sat opposite me. They exchange newfound jokes and clandestine stories which I’ve not experienced, and the slow but saddening realisation dawns upon me; they’ve been together without me.

“Where did you go?” I ask innocuously, but it’s enough to make their faces harden. They’ve also come to their own revelations. I left the Snapchat group and I’ve not been using social media as of recently. I never got the invite.

“A concert,”...

1

BeTheChange18 (Australia) published:

Swallow

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

SSSSFFFFPH! My jaw reclined back into position as I swallowed my saliva with great satisfaction. It had been sitting in my mouth for ages and was turning lukewarm because I needed to eat. I was waiting for two words. “Let's eat,” he spoke as we grabbed our knife and fork ready to fill our stomachs. I saw what was in front of me and pushed the hatred down, reminding myself of why I was here. I heard cutlery clinking and...
Seeking Peer Reviews