All writing published for Food Writing Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

janadeif (Egypt) published:

The Greatest Inspiration of History

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Reasons for explorations and for discovering new land might seem odd to us in this current century. Everything used to be different in the 15th century; our values used to be different and even our objectives in life. One of the very reasons why we were able to discover the continents North America and South America was due to our interest in food. 
Back since the Middle Ages, spices were considered a luxury and was only accessible to people with...

shahdd (Egypt) published:

The Complexity of a Healthy Diet

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

How can someone lead a healthy diet? It’s a question that is commonly asked and rarely answered correctly. In a time like this and in the world we live in today, people are always trying to lose weight – even those of us who aren’t overweight or obese. Society puts skinny people on a pedestal where the rest of us crave to be. However, does skinny always mean healthy? Is the only deciding factor to how healthy someone is a...

1

Jamie Brooker (Australia) published:

Travel Foods

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Food. What’s not to love about food? Food is great no matter where you are, food from home is nice and filling while fast food is quick and a yummy, albeit unhealthy. But have you ever tried Poutine? Or macaroons? And not the ones you can get from Coles or Woolworths, but traditional, professionally made food? If you haven’t had the luxury to try traditional macaroons, this essay is a short food adventure from everywhere. Ireland, France, Greece, Italy and...
Seeking Peer Reviews

siamesekitten (United States) published:

The Unbreakable Bond Food Gives to Us

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Imagine food as if it is an extension cord. When you use one, you're bringing multiple cords to plug into that one extension. The extension cord is bringing all of the other plugs together. If food is the extension cord, we are the plugs. 

Sitting at the dinner table with our families, dishes, silverware, and most importantly, food on every plate. This is the time that we all use to relax and bond with our families. The time...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Teaston (United States) published:

I Liked Making Snowmen With Mom

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Today in class we learned that we were going to be watching the movie version of Charlotte’s Webin class in a few days and that if we wanted to make something and bring it in to share with the class, we could, we just had to have one of our parents tell our teacher and drop it off with us. Now, I am standing in the kitchen with my Mom, barely able to see the counter, dark brown curls...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

HannahC. (United States) published:

The Cheesier the Better

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

When I was little, every saturday afternoon, my dad would make grilled cheese sandwiches. But at the time I couldn’t say grilled cheese, so I would say “girled cheese sandwiches” But no matter how wrong I pronounced it, my dad made the best. It was amazing how he timed the bread on the heated side, so perfectly that both sides were equally golden brown and the cheese was the perfect melted point. Later he would tell me his secret on...

Definition2005 (Australia) published:

Food and Our Perception

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Throughout our lives we will eat all sorts of foods, our perception of food will develop and change as our world changes around us. With our perceptions, we also bring cultures, expectations, dislikes and loves. 

When I was but a small baby I didn't have any perceptions, not until a small piece of strawberry was shoved in my mouth and my small baby brain decided it was just too slimy and sweet to be edible. As I grew my perceptions...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lene (Australia) published:

Exposure to Cuisine

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

As a child my mom had to work and do jobs in her parent’s deli, in New York. She would have to work in the kitchen and place orders, which developed and extended her knowledge and appreciation for food. Now, she has perfected dozens of recipes over time for her friends and family to enjoy. Because of this, I believe it is necessary to uncover cooking to children at a young age for many reasons. As Professor O’Dea said, exposure...

Writer_boy_69 (Australia) published:

The Cafe

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Ever since I first went to school, and even before then, I've always been to Brew-Ha. Its a medium sized cafe, sitting just outside the supermarkets, just a few blocks from my house. Walking past it you get a whiff of coffee, that it grinds itself, available for sale in small bags. Sitting on fresh-cleaned racks sit muffins, covered in chocolate. The Coffee is served liberally, and the leather chairs are in abundance. When I got old enough to go...

1
1

sydneybeanzandcorn (United States) published:

Friends, Not Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Almost three years ago, I made a promise to myself, a promise I would never hurt another living creature again.

It was the summer of 2016, and I was staying at a religious sleep-away camp in San Francisco. My family has passed down a long line of Buddhism, from generation to generation, and religion is extremely significant in our household, especially during hard times. Although I still haven't figured out quite where I stand in my spiritual understanding, I figured...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Johanna Marie (Germany) published:

The magic of bread

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

No matter in which part of the world you are, you'll find that bread always is a part of any traditional meal out there. Even if it's often seen as nothing but a garnish, in many cultures, it's much more than that. In fact, French people love their baguette so much that (weak spoiler alert!) Harry Potter isn't defeating Voldemord with a "wand" a "Zauberstab" or a "varita magica"...No, he is using his "baguette magique", no joke. But I mean if you...

1
1

KhushiSharma (India) published:

Cuisine which describes me!!

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Food, food, food and food.
My mind often stops working when I'm asked anything related to food. When asked about liking good food, most of the people say yes.
My answer be that food it life and I live for it.
In India, it's the women who handle the family and keeps it together. She is the one who handles the kitchen and looks after all the members of her family.
Here in India, centuries ago, child marriages was practiced...

Seeking Peer Reviews

caroline saloio (United States) published:

Daddy's Pies

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Every year in the fall, my Dad makes his homemade apple pie. It starts when we go apple picking. My favorite part is climbing the trees to reach the the very big, shiny, round, red apples at the top. My sister Ella also does that, and we get that from Dad. This past year, we went to an apple orchard owned by Atkins Farm, and they gave us these little round cinnamon - sugared donut holes. I love Atkins Farm,...

2
1

Saadia (United States) published:

Grape Leaves

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

"What is that?" I hear a girl from across the table say. I look over to see that she is asking me.  
"It smells gross." 
I go to respond when another kid seems to take interest in my lunch too.
"Yeah, what is that?" They ask with a disgusted face. 
I look at them in partial confusion. It is my first day of kindergarten, sitting in my assigned seat at lunch. How do they not know what grape leaves are?  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Jane Austen Always (India) published:

Spicy Happiness

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Spicy Happiness
“Is it your birthday? I want a samosa as a treat.”
"You lost the match? No problem .Let us eat samosas."
 These are some of the yummy lines quoted by every student of our school.
 Boiled and crushed yellow potatoes mixed with salt, turmeric, red chilli and fried black pepper give a spicy tang to our school life. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

lindz_the_nerd (United States) published:

The Macaroni

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

"Hey, Leslie, I just got out of surgery."
    "Oh my, really? Do you need anything?"
    "Y'know, some of that macaroni of yours would be great..."
    That day, my mother ended making a pan of her famous macaroni for my father's cousin, Natasha. And why did my cousin Natasha ask her to make macaroni? Well, because my mother's macaroni is hands down some of the best macaroni you will ever have in your life(if you ever get the chance to try...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Red Cat (Singapore) published:

Pindang

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I stared into the gold liquid steaming before me, a fish head sticking out, mouth agape and eyeball barely attached to the socket. I breathed in deeply and the memories flooded back instantly. Images of my grandmother-my nenek-bringing in a white bowl full of pindang to the dining table materialized before me and I began to dive in. I sifted through the lemongrass and asam and scooped up a chunk of soft red snapper flesh and sank my teeth in....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Flaw (Malaysia) published:

Dumpling Diversity

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Forget what you knew about dumplings. Forget those rip-off, rubbery take out ones, and those oily frozen dinner ones.

Those are not what real dumplings are supposed to be like.

Since I was five, my mother and I were in charge of folding the fragile skins for our annual Chinese New Year dinner. The entire process, from the meat to the finished product hastily served on a large plate, takes an entire day. She would prepare her signature meat mix...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Bianca Singelstad (United States) published:

My Internal Chef

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Wherever my family is, it's guaranteed that food is somewhere nearby. It was a tradition that started with my Bestamor, who had survived in Norway during World War II. To her, food was a luxury and because food had always been scarce during her childhood. Which is why she and my Bestafar made sure that the entire family was well fed at all times. Deserts were a necessity, we were required to try - and eat - everything and trust...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
2

LittleWolf (Australia) published:

Tomaeto, Tomato

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Here is food for thought, there is enough food on Earth at the moment to feed every person more than they need to be healthy and full. The only problem is that quite a substantial amount of it is in the wrong places and isn't being spread in accordance with equity and equality. Equity is "the quality of being fair and impartial" (Dictionary.Com) whereas equality is "a symbolic expression of the fact that two quantities are equal; an equation" (Google...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
3

paulie (United States) published:

Food and Family

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

When I was just four years old my family broke tradition and was charged with keeping tradition alive. We brought both sadness and joy to the hearts of our families. I come from Colombia, a small and beautiful country in South America that has been darkened by the mistakes of many people, still through all the pain the last decades brought my kin, family was the most important aspect of our poor farmer's lives. Food was the way...

Seeking Peer Reviews

11

efflorescence (United States) published:

Eat

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Don’t eat.
    Don’t eat.
    Don’t. Eat.
    I turn off my blaring alarm and allow myself a minute or two of relaxation before forcing myself to move. A few rays of sunlight peek through the gauzy curtain covering my window, but the crack underneath my door is dark. I am the only one in my family awake. Good. I throw on a baggy hoodie and leggings, brush my frizzy hair, and step into the hallway. I scurry down the steps and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Lincoln W (United States) published:

How Crickets can Revolutionize the Food Industry and Help Cut Back on Global Emissions

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

People often think of crickets as nasty and inedible altogether. This is factually incorrect. Crickets are nutritious and will provide a great source of protein for future generations. Crickets are also easy to cultivate and farm. The most important factor is that they will help us cut back on emissions.  

First, insects are nutritious and provide and an excellent source of protein, healthy fats, and healthy carbohydrates. For example, just one cricket which weighs of fifth of a gram...

6
5

seba (New Zealand) published:

Bread

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

​There is an art to making bread.
It’s in the flour and the water. It’s in the yeast and the honey. It’s in the push and pull of how you knead the dough, in the waiting for the bread to rise, in the patience required for such a simple skill.
It is an art that I learned from my mother, and one that she learned from her mother, learned from by her mother. One of my earliest memories is baking...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Daisy (United States) published:

Food Sense

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

A colorful salad, artfully arranged on a plate. The feel of sticky bread dough in your hands. The crunch of a chip, perfectly thin that just snaps when you bite it.  The scent of cinnamon wafting through the air. The taste of warm chocolate, as you dig in to a fresh chocolate chip cookie. This is my childhood. Food brings back memories I wasn’t even aware of.
    Many memories are conjured up by seeing something familiar. Food is a...

Seeking Peer Reviews