All writing published for Food Writing Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

2
1

Amber Redmond (United States) published:

Mom's Meatloaf.

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Mom’s Meatloaf.
Everyone has a birthday tradition, maybe a party or just something simple like a mini sleepover with your close friends. Birthdays are just days, nothing too important, yes, a celebration of how all of the living organisms come into the world, but every celebration there is someone who points out, “Oh, You’re turning 18! Wait you were just 14 last month!” Or they just say “Happy birthday sweetie!” What’s the fun in getting older anyway, back pain, paying...
Seeking Peer Reviews

gcalkins (United States) published:

Save Your Body, Save the Planet

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

A lot of Americans claim they care so much about animals and our planet but they also eat the animals of our planet. To me, that doesn’t seem like they really care about the animals.
    I became a vegan one and a half years ago and it changed my life for the better. My journey to becoming vegan began July 2017. My best friend had just recently started talking about becoming vegan and I thought it was the coolest thing,...

amacias (United States) published:

Nostalgia

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The copper church bell ringing in the distance In San Juan de Los Lagos. The rope pulling the bell banging it against the walls of the metal. I rush and push past the open doors to make my way on my knees dragging them through a long pathway towards the front. I kept my head down as the ceremony was about to begin. The smell of a blown out candle was dispersed through the church. When the mass had ended...

dezi martinez (United States) published:

Mcdumb

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I lost count of how many times I purchased a sweet tea and a six piece chicken nugget from Mcdonald's this school year.At this point I'm convinced I'm one of the main reasons the Mcdonald's on North Avenue is still open.Almost everyday for lunch go through the drive thru and order the exact same thing.I remember when I was little fast food was a sort of treat because I didn't eat it a lot.Now It's become part of my daily...

Jacob Wood (United States) published:

Pure Food and Drug Act

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The first Pure Food and Drug act was passed in 1906 to protect the citizens of the United State of adulteration. ( which is the action of making something poorer in quality by the addition of another substance.) In the late 1800's early 1900's, a chicago man named Upton Clair wrote a novel called The Jungle. this novel was about how he went undercover in a meat packing factory and took photos, and wrote about all of the terrible things he...

Joshua Piper (United States) published:

The Good O' BBQ

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

BBQ it means so many different things to different people. Some people think of their dads ribs or the beginning of summer bbqs in the backyard. But I think of this park in my aunts neighborhood. You might be wondering why do you think of there? The reason is, is because the first day and last day of summer we'd always have a huge get together. We always had "The famous" saran wrap races. It sounds like exactly what your...

3
2

Saadia (United States) published:

Grape Leaves

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

"What is that?" I hear a girl from across the table say. I look over to see that she is asking me.  
"It smells gross." 
I go to respond when another kid seems to take interest in my lunch too.
"Yeah, what is that?" They ask with a disgusted face. 
I look at them in partial confusion. It is my first day of kindergarten, sitting in my assigned seat at lunch. How do they not know what grape leaves are?  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Eliza_Bowen16 (United Kingdom) published:

Cakes and Congratulations

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Birthdays, they always have one centrepiece in my family, the cake.
For years I’d be woken to singing and a freshly baked cake all pretty and perfect everything looking easy. I wouldn’t see my mum spend hours crafting the perfect recipe, shopping for just the right raspberries or running herself ragged to make this all important part of the day perfect. And then I saw it. One day I smelt the chocolate melting and mixing with vanilla, and the the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Joel Speer (United States) published:

The Diet of a Large Family

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I live with seven other people in one house:my three sisters, my brother, our dad, our stepmom, and our stepmom’s mom. With that many people, it’s surprising that we have food leftover after one day, but  I’ve seen Kelly, our stepmom, tackle the challenge of providing for us very creatively.
First, when actually going to buy the food, she organizes the list so she can get everything she needs in one go when she walks through the store systematically, asks...

1
3

pure_heart (United Kingdom) published:

When In Rome

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I don't know whether its the fat girl in me or not, but everytime I reminisce about past family holidays, my memories linger on the food I indulged in. 

My Family like to travel to a variety of places, to 'expand our horizons' and appreciate different cultures and experiences. Like when we went to Rome, about 3 years ago. There is so much historical life there; the artefacts, unique buildings, the Colesseum. Thinking back to that holiday makes my heart...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jose (India) published:

Science behind curtains

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

HOW IT WORKS:A SCIENTIFIC QUEST
The feeling of hunger,need to fulfil our appetite and mixed emotions,seeing the delicacies infront of one's eyes no one bothers to find the answers of various mind blogging questions when all you see is mouth watering dishes
   Then comes their comes explaination to the various things we feel.
why do we feel hungry and fullness?There comes the human brain ,its action from the small structure named hypothalamus and a few centres known as feeding...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Melissa X. (United States) published:

A Brief History via Egg

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I grew up eating an excessive amount of eggs. Actually, that’s a little misleading. A more accurate statement would be that I grew up eating an excessive amount of fried rice, and thus in conjunction, ate an excessive amount of eggs. Whenever I had a day off from school, be it a holiday or a sick day, my dad would invariably ask, “Lili, ni xiang chi shen me? What do you want to eat?”
    And I would invariably blurt out...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

moonchild (United Kingdom) published:

Food industry and consequential climate change

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Food plays a vital role in life, as our survival depends on our daily grain. However, our survival is tied to food in a much more complex way as well with the food industry’s catastrophic impacts on the Earth's climate. The food industry is rampant with waste; in terms of excess food, imperishable plastics, and the battery farming of meats.

Food waste is a massive problem as a direct result of our attitudes towards quick consumables and the ability to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

hannahmorgan (United States) published:

Baking Chaos

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Shabbat 101. My own ten commandments to surviving a meal in the overbearing and loud Thunderdome that is my family. There used to be sixteen of us every week, a jumble of debate, random dishes, and color clashing before my senses. It was overwhelming, but as a small child, I could get up from the table, draw and read, without anyone blinking an eye. However, as the years have gone on, and my cousins have started skipping dinners in favor...

3
1

efflorescence (United States) published:

Eat

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Don’t eat.
    Don’t eat.
    Don’t. Eat.
    I switch off my blaring alarm and allow myself a minute or two of relaxation before forcing myself to move. A few rays of sunlight peek through the gauzy curtain covering my window, but the crack underneath my door is dark. I throw on a baggy hoodie and leggings, brush my frizzy hair, and step into the hallway. I scurry down the steps and tiptoe into the kitchen, flicking on the lights as I...

Madalynn.Goh (United States) published:

Food Culture

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

When people think of American Food Culture they normally think of all of the chain restaurants and fast food that originated in America. Additionally, when I tell people that I am from Kentucky, they generally respond with “Oh like KFC Kentucky?” This may not sound like a huge deal to some, but I am bothered by this. This is due to the fact there are such rich food cultures present in the US that often get overlooked. Before the age...

1
1

Abi Pinner (United Kingdom) published:

Oh!

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Oh, Heaven, this must be it! A place on earth to come and be alone, with only methodology and a pinch of madness; perhaps one of salt as well, if the dish so requires it.
Yes! This art, the process of making something utterly unique, utilitarian and natural, there is such beauty in cooking. As I begin my work, as diligent as any master painter, preparing tools, sharpening, flowering, preheating, laying out what is yet to come. 
I slice away...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Nour Mina (Egypt) published:

Egypt; A Unique Cuisine

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

For an ideal meal, you need three main components; culture, resources, and tradition. These three ingredients are key to the Egyptian culture making the Egyptian cuisine an exquisite blend of flavors. Since the time of the Pharaohs and through its history, Egypt has encountered numerous civilizations that have contributed to its unique cuisine. Egyptian civilizations grew around the Nile banks. The rich Nile river valley made fruits and vegetables essential to Egyptian food. Grains, seeds, wheat, and barely were more...

moonchild (United Kingdom) published:

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Food waste is a massive problem and a direct result of our attitudes towards quick consumables and the ability to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Youthika (United States) published:

Festival of Radiance and Recipes

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Petrichor filled my nostrils as I took a deep breath.  It gave me a safe feeling of familiarity and home.  The gentle humming of landing planes and the voices of people overlapped each other when I exited the airport.  My family and I were visiting our hometown of the little yet busy South Indian city of Madurai.  I got in the car and leaned toward the windowsill, watching the townspeople.  As we drove, I watched several families lighting little...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Isabelle Judd (United States) published:

The Spam Musubi Wave

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

When thinking about a favorite food of mine, I like to think about simple foods, preferably spam musubi. Usually, when someone thinks about spam musubi, they think about a small take-out place on the side of the road, selling 'island food', with a surf board hanging on the wall and pictures of waves on the tightly cramped walls. That's just it, it's a small, unimportant place to them, as they only recall going there on their way somewhere or on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kenzi El Wassief (Egypt) published:

Youtube's Impact

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Food has been blowing up on youtube like no time before. Millions of people are tuning in to watch their favourite public figure eat a bunch of random foods while talking for an extended period of time. While this may sound  boring or uninteresting to most, these videos accumulate millions of views everyday. “Good Mythical Morning” is a youtube channel that stars two American men who, with their team, make a variety of different challenges or commentary videos. They have...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Daisy (United States) published:

Food Sense

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

A colorful salad, artfully arranged on a plate. The feel of sticky bread dough in your hands. The crunch of a perfectly thin chip. The scent of cinnamon wafting through the air. The taste of warm chocolate, as you dig into a fresh chocolate chip cookie. This is my childhood. Food brings back memories I wasn’t even aware of.
    Many memories are conjured up by seeing something familiar. Food is a necessity of life, and as such we are...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hannah Gaudette - JoyfulWriter (United States) published:

Learning to Thrive with Food Allergies

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

When I was six years old, I experienced anaphylaxis for the first time. And we didn't know what was happening. All we knew was that I was having a harder and harder time breathing.

Food allergies. Simply described as an abnormal or adverse reaction to a specific food. But this serious condition has generated astonishing stigma and myth over the years. While the numbers of those affected continue to rise, so does the amount of misinformation. Though often serious, food...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Selim Elassar (Egypt) published:

When Food is the Rival

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

What is the role of food in your life? Around the world, food is cooked and consumed daily by almost every human being. Families are brought together on several occasions and share food on the table where many long lasting memories are made and where they share the joy of enjoying food together. Some people choose food as their purpose and passion in life and become culinary chefs, others simply enjoy cooking a tasteful meal for loved ones. Cuisine is...