All writing published for Food Writing Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

N/a (United States) published:

Mini for Mom

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Ages ago, when I was seven, my father worked for the educational media company, Pearson. He would spend most of the week living in the picturesque city of Carmel, Indiana, and would take a two-hour drive back to Oxford, Ohio, every weekend. (My dad lived near the Carmel Art and Design District.) When summer break hit, my mom and I would stay in his apartment in Carmel.
    Carmel was a very special place. Apart from its large, exciting library,...

2
3

Hannah Gaudette - JoyfulWriter (United States) published:

Learning to Thrive with Food Allergies

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

When I was six years old, I experienced anaphylaxis for the first time. And we didn't know what was happening. All we knew was that I was having a harder and harder time breathing.

Food allergies. Simply described as an abnormal or adverse reaction to a specific food. But this serious condition has generated astonishing stigma and myth over the years. While the numbers of those affected continue to rise, so does the amount of misinformation. Though often serious, food...

Seeking Peer Reviews

mariam (Lebanon) published:

I'm a piece of bread

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

We’re in mid-May, the time of the year that is looked forward by farmers. The process is the same each year: planting wheat in winter, harvesting it by the start of June and using it the bake fresh bread that will be sold and beneficial for them.
I was frightened, I didn’t want to abandon my friends, nor my family. But its life and my friends spend weeks trying to console me, telling me it’s going to be all right. ...

rgotlieb (United States) published:

Leftovers

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

My mom had people over yesterday to kill the turkeys.
    The first question I get when I say this is: oh, god, what? To which I repeat: My mom had people over yesterday to kill the turkeys. The next question is: like, she had professional turkey killers over or something? To which I respond: No, I mean she had friends over (as in a dinner-party-esque affair) to kill the turkeys.
    The final question is: why? To which I respond: Thanksgiving. ...

1

EmMadeira (United States) published:

The Highest Honor a Pig can Achieve

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

My mom poured the moonshine, lit a match, and two pigs went up in flames.  Watching the blaze, I think to myself, this is, without question, the highest honor that a pig can achieve: Chouriço à Bombiero.  Chouriço (a Spanish and Portuguese pork sausage, not to be mistaken for the slightly different Mexican variety, chorizo) going up in a glorious, fiery, deliciousblaze over a terracotta grill that is, in what some might consider a dark...

jl7077 (United States) published:

Dumping on a Lesson about Dumplings

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

As one of the most ancient recipes, dumplings have graced the dinner table, weddings, and restaurant menus. The Chinese developed the first filled dumpling, called jiaozi (饺子), during the Han Dynasty, when the peasants shivered in the freezing cold and were given dough scraps filled with chewy lamb meat and savory herbs. Zhang Zhongjian, the man credited to creating the delicious, healing dumpling, would later have his creation spread throughout China, the recipe having lived through generations and having personal...

seba (New Zealand) published:

Bread

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

​There is an art to making bread.
    It’s in the flour and the water. It’s in the yeast and the honey. It’s in the push and pull of how you knead the dough, in the waiting for the bread to rise, in the patience required for such a simple skill.
    It is an art that I learned from my mother, one that she learned from her mother, who learned it from her own mother. One of my earliest memories is...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Abigail Hobbs (United States) published:

Empty Shelves Lead to Empty Stomachs

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Everyone has a favorite food, whether it is mac n’ cheese, tacos, or fried rice, but some people do not get to enjoy their favorite foods. Like many people in poverty living around the world, some people do not get to eat any food at all due to their impoverishment level. Right now, in Venezuela, many people are starving. Citizens go hungry and malnourished because of the current economic and political crisis throughout the country. The Venezuelan government may have...

1

Saadia (United States) published:

Grape Leaves

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

“What is that?” I hear a girl from across the table ask. I look over to find that she is looking at me, “It smells gross.”
I go to respond when someone else seems to take interest in my lunch too.
“Yeah, what is that?” They ask with a disgusted face.
I look at them in partial confusion. It’s my first day of kindergarten, sitting in my assigned lunch seat. How do they not know what grape leaves are?
“They’re...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AMoustafa (Egypt) published:

"Why is food so important?"

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

On my first trip to Turkey with my family, the second thing that came in mind after visiting the historical sites was to look for “traditional Turkish food”. Which brings about an important question, “why is food so important?”.
A naive answer would simply be that it is essential for living, “you must have been hungry, that is why”. Of course food is the fuel of our bodies, but why exactly was it important for us to look for...

1

cblatt (United States) published:

Kansas city bbq chicken

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

In kansas city there is some really good kansas city barbecue chicken that you could have and it is really good. I was young when I had it but I can remember what it taste liked it even though i was pretty young. You could get at like restaurants or you could make it at home which is what my dad when we wanted to stay home and we didn't want to go out for dinner. When you have the...

1

steelfruit9 (Australia) published:

Erased Stories.

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

When British explorers first landed in Nigeria, they had three major goals.
Spread Christianity.
Take land.
Take slaves.
To do these things,  they needed to introduce unheard of things. New ways of living. Physical, mental and emotional manipulation had to be used. They used guns. But they also used their minds. To erase the history of the weak, to make them weaker. And more willing to change.

Much of this history is still being salvaged today. Some of it is...

2

Ji Tianqi (Singapore) published:

Gone to Waste

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Gone to Waste
In the dead of night, a man foraged through Singapore’s trash. His name is Daniel Tay. He identifies himself as a “freegan”, a person who seeks to reduce waste and refuses to be a participant of consumerism. A financial advisor by day and a dumpster-diver by night, Mr Tay is one of the leaders Singapore’s dumpster-diving community. He frequently organises “veggie hunts” with other freegans to supermarket outlets, during which exorbitant amounts of discarded but still edible...

1

Sammy_100 (United States) published:

A Magical Thing Called Momo

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well"-Virginia Woolf. 
    This quote speaks to the depths of my soul. As a self-proclaimed "foodie", I enjoy my fair share delicious delectables, whatever they may be. Nothing,however,will ever match to the magical thing that I know as "momo."
    When most people hear the word "momo",they probably think of the "Momo Challenge", a sweeping, internet sensation. To me, "momo" means so much...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Alicia Ireland (United Kingdom) published:

Family at it's fullest

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The universe is incomprehensible. Vast. Unimaginable by us. Yet, there is one thing that connects our small little world with the infinity lying before us: food. To survive, to thrive, food is used. Comfort eating ( which I'm rather familiar with) , indulging, perhaps even stuffing one's face is commonly known as delightful. Food is everywhere. It can make us feel safe, just like home. Even if you were on Mars, I'm sure a good ol' Sunday roast would...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Kara Grace (United States) published:

Cooking and Creation

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

On May 3, 2018, a restaurant called Spyce opened in downtown Boston. Spyce is a quick, casual place that serves Moroccan bowls—nothing too extraordinary about that. The newsworthy aspect of this opening is that Spyce’s kitchen is staffed almost entirely by robots. Customers can customize their order on a touchscreen, and their food is then prepared by a robot designed by four MIT mechanical engineering graduates.
    Restaurants like Spyce where technology replaces human employees are rapidly appearing in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

sydneybeanzandcorn (United States) published:

Friends, Not Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Almost three years ago, I made a promise to myself, a promise I would never hurt another living creature again.

It was the summer of 2016, and I was staying at a religious sleep-away camp in San Francisco. My family has passed down a long line of Buddhism, from generation to generation, and religion is extremely significant in our household, especially during hard times. Although I still haven't figured out quite where I stand in my spiritual understanding, I figured...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

emmelynkek (Singapore) published:

Bubbles that Never Burst

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Sip Sip 
Chew Chew
Swallow
Repeat 

Every corner presents this exquisite essential, this glorious concoction that leaves us wanting for more after every sip. What is this particular exciting find that we Asians have an insatiable thirst for? Invented in the 1980s, but only having its fame skyrocket in the 2000s, it has met endless setbacks that threatened to burst its bubble. But it remained, unwavering. Now standing as a timeless classic and presenting to us a thirst that must...

Joy Khalifa (Egypt) published:

Kushari from a Different Perspective

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The human being needs three main things in order to survive. It needs water, oxygen, and food and our bodies strive to have these things. While water and oxygen are very important to our everyday lives, food has a bigger impact on the people of our world. Our day is based off of three main meals. We wake up to breakfast, come home from school for lunch, and eat dinner before we go to sleep. Our meals differ all...

Flaw (Malaysia) published:

Dumpling Diversity

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Forget what you knew about dumplings. Forget those rip-off, rubbery take out ones, and those oily frozen dinner ones.

Those are not real dumplings.

Since I was five, my mother and I were in charge of folding the fragile skins for our annual Chinese New Year dinner. The entire process, from the meat to the finished product hastily served on a large plate, takes an entire day. She would prepare her signature meat mix hours before and we would stand...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Jane Austen Always (India) published:

Spicy Happiness

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Spicy Happiness
“Is it your birthday? I want a samosa as a treat.”
"You lost the match? No problem .Let us eat samosas."
 These are some of the yummy lines quoted by every student of our school.
 Boiled and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Paigeelliott (Australia) published:

Bread with grandma

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

It was not often that grandma made fresh bread. She would start by dissolving the yeast into the warm water. She would tell me to be carful around the warm water, as I could burn myself. She would then add ingredients like salt, sugar and flour. The flour would always end up everywhere. She would then beat the mixture and turn it into a soft dough. After, We would all kneed the dough and dig the bottom of our hands...

1
1

e.page02 (United Kingdom) published:

An international love affair.

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I'm no stranger to living in a world bursting at the seams with flavour. I'm growing up in a multicultural environment, one that offers flavours of the whole world at my front door. My walks to school involve wondering past the local Indian restaurant, greengrocer, past the young parents herding children and superhero-themed-packed-lunch-boxes of ham sandwiches and crisps to school. 

I've eaten pizza crafted by hands of noisily soft Italian cooks, at Buongiorno e Buonasera in Oxford.

Sat on the...

hamstersga (United States) published:

The Food of Ancient Rome

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Eating the food of our culture becomes a part of who each person is.  The ingredients, the seasonings, the methods of preparation, and the types of foods that are eaten are different for each culture. Knowing the likes and dislikes of different cultures can give a view into that culture. Ancient Roman cuisine was influenced by Greek culture, culinary habits, and even by political changes within the region.  Ancient Roman cuisine changed over the time of the ancient Roman...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Daisy (United States) published:

Food Sense

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

A colorful salad, artfully arranged on a plate. The feel of sticky bread dough in your hands. The crunch of a perfectly thin chip. The scent of cinnamon wafting through the air. The taste of warm chocolate, as you dig into a fresh chocolate chip cookie. This is my childhood. Food brings back memories I wasn’t even aware of.
    Many memories are conjured up by seeing something familiar. Food is a necessity of life, and as such we are...

Seeking Peer Reviews