All writing published for Food Writing Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Sophie24 (United States) published:

Hunger

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I walk into the kitchen and an explosion of different aromas flood into my nose. I look around and see juicy beef patties sizzling on the skillet, almost ready. I watch as the little bubbles of oil pop and pop and pop all around the burger while I am imagining it inside of a bun, just out of the oven and  topped with fresh lettuce and pickles just as it will be in a few minutes. “Make yourself useful and...

pdx8 (United States) published:

Chicken Wings + Eggrolls = An Ingenious Creation

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

An ingenious creation: stuffed chicken wings. The process is painstaking, but the final product makes it worthwhile.
When the menu for dinner is stuffed chicken wings, the house is filled with the whole family. The house gets busy, warm, and loud as some cook in the kitchen, some watch the kids, and my parents sew in the back room. The kitchen gets crowded as we are all bustling past each other to get to the sink or the cabinet.
    Per...

pdx8 (United States) published:

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Per...

Kevin Chen (United States) published:

Food is More Than What You See

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

There was a red lantern hanging on the crooked overhang of the wooden roof. The clouded windows emitted an inviting glow. I pushed the wooden sliding door and it crinkled against the one behind it.

“Kon’nichiwa,” greeted the sole chef as I walked through the restaurant’s wooden doors.
    “Kon’nichiwa,” I responded, closing the door behind me.

My body regained warmth, feeling the rapid tingling of my blood across my hands and face. There was no one else here. It was...

JeancarloC (United States) published:

Vive la Bread- The History of Bread and France

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The dough is carefully rolled out and then manipulated to create indentations, it's then later put in the oven. You can see the orange lights of the oven cause the dough to slowly rise as it turns into a hard, crisp, elegant, brown. We all know the baguette, its an icon of France, and that bread that when you were a child you and your siblings (or friends) used as swords in epic sword fights. Surprisingly baguettes haven't been around...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Emma Danner (United States) published:

Wonderful Waffles

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Some people will think that the best breakfast food is pancakes, sausage, bacon, or even eggs, but my personal favorite is waffles.  Every Christmas morning (after we open presents of course), my mom makes a big breakfast, and the rest of my family comes and helps make food.  The highlight of that breakfast in my opinion? The waffles. My mom makes the best waffles. She also makes the best chocolate chip cookies, but that’s off-topic.  There’s no competition to her...

Elijackson (United States) published:

Food connects

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Elijackson (United States) published:

Food connects

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Fjkchkgk

1

Bianca Singelstad (United States) published:

My Internal Chef

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Wherever my family is, it's guaranteed that food is somewhere nearby. It was a tradition that started with my Bestamor (Grandmother), who had survived in Norway during World War II. To her, food was a luxury and food had always been scarce during her childhood. Therefore, she and my Bestafar (Grandfather) made sure that the entire family was well fed at all times. Deserts were a necessity, we were required to try - and eat - everything. Trust me, both...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Anali Perera (Canada) published:

Meat, the Problems

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

A juicy, medium-rare steak, shared at a dimly lit-restaurant by a couple on a first date. Barbeque sauce bathed ribs, enjoyed in front of the TV by an old group of friends honoring an annual super bowl tradition. Hamburgers, scarfed down in the parking lot, following a long day of road trip adventures.  The most cherished memories are often made while enjoying a taste of savory, delicious food. But could the foods that bring us together, also be the thing...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

TeabagWritings (United States) published:

The Vast History of Chocolate

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

There’s a reason Americans consume 2.8 billion pounds of chocolate (11 pounds per person) every year. It’s because chocolate has been made for thousands of years. It’s taken so many different cultures to perfect this simple candy. So we know chocolate is perfect for our modern tastes. Chocolate hasn't always been so popular though, and the reason we eat so much today is that over the years it's improved and become a cheap, everyday sort of food. Chocolate’s...

Johanna Marie (Germany) published:

The magic of bread

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

No matter in which part of the world you are, you'll find that bread always is a part of any traditional meal out there. Even if it's often seen as nothing but a staple, in many cultures, it's much more than that. In fact, French people love their baguette so much that (weak spoiler alert!) Harry Potter isn't defeating Voldemord with a "wand" a "Zauberstab" or a "varita magica"...No, he is using his "baguette magique", no joke. But I mean, if...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Donald Desmarais (United States) published:

Moms cooking

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The families favorite occasion, a very welcome one by our whole family. When my momma buys the spaghetti sticks at walmart, and the amazing garlic bread I already know it's gonna be a good night. My moms side of the family is italian and she knows this "secret recipe" from her grandmother for this mouth watering, leg shaking, and a blast of flavors up in your mouth. I don't know who came up with it but whoever did must be...

Klára Churá (Czechia) published:

A Piece of Cake

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Day after day, week after week, month after month, I walk from the run-down railway station to school and back. With my mind diligently venturing the extensive nooks and corners of my inner world, I pay little heed to the world passing by. Seldom do my eyes focus and my ears prick up. Hence, it may be perceived as a rare event when, on a sweltering April day, striding down one of the town’s many bustling roads, I suddenly stop...

2

thebookishfae (United States) published:

The Food That Binds Us

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

There's a sort of spell that falls over the dinner table as we wait for the athan to sound. Hungry souls glancing excitedly at their clocks, watching the minute hand slowly tick on. Sun setting below the vast horizon, every phone in the house goes off- a notification echoing a beautiful call for prayer beginning with "Allahu Akbar." We all whisper our prayers before reaching towards the intricately designed porcelain bowl, breaking our fasts with the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lainya Kirkland (United States) published:

Food Is The Comfort Of Life

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Tea is something the British have just grown up with kinda like how Americans have grown up with Saturday Morning Cartoons .They enjoy it so much because it’s familar.It can bring back memories of home when someone is feeling homesick.
When you have something in your life for so long it’s difficult to imagine your life without it.You might try to ignore it’s prescensce but in the end it will always find its way back to you.They can always remember...

Alexander Seager (United States) published:

The Pancake

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The Pancake
By Alex Seager
One fateful Monday night, I found myself searching for avocados to eat for breakfast the next morning as I often do. I searched through the depths of the fridge for the last avocado i’d been saving and found that it had been eaten by my demonic older brother. I was angry. Very angry. At him for eating the last avocado, at my parents for not getting enough avocados, and at myself because I have avocado...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

EdilMayHampsen (United States) published:

Fungi, The Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

It isn't for the faint of heart. I am the only one of three siblings who'll even touch the stuff. However, it brings me comfort in knowing I have a connection to an ethnic past I might never get to know.
   My mom immigrated to the states when she was a girl. She grew up in Antigua. In a tiny house with eleven siblings. She grew up walking some miles every morning to gather water for her family. Something I...

12lun (China) published:

A Dessert of Many Names

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I stared at the mess in the pot. The dark brown color and the burnt smell already seemed bad enough, but, after some inspection, I realized that it was worse than I thought. The burnt sugar froze and stuck to the pot.
         I frowned. Was the caramelized sugar truly necessary for the crème brulee? In fact, the caramelized sugar is perhaps the most important part of the crème brulee. It’s the reason there is a...

fionaxu (China) published:

The Dark Side of Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Fiona Xu
Ms. Tambio
18 May, 2019

The Dark Side of Food

Has anyone ever told you to eat healthier? Well, what does eating healthier actually mean? Healthier for our bodies, our relationships, or our planet? Throughout the years, humans have been growing, harvesting, cultivating, cooking, fermenting, preserving, and eating their own foods. As new technologies are discovered and new research is done, we have changed how we produce our food. For better or worse (and it's...
Seeking Peer Reviews

emmelynkek (Singapore) published:

Bubbles that Never Burst

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Sip Sip 
Chew Chew
Swallow
Repeat 

Every corner presents this exquisite essential, this glorious concoction that leaves us wanting for more after every sip. What is this particular exciting find that we Asians have an insatiable thirst for? Invented in the 1980s, but only having its fame skyrocket in the 2000s, it has met endless setbacks that threatened to burst its bubble. But it remained, unwavering. Now standing as a timeless classic and presenting to us a thirst that must...

KTK (Australia) published:

Mints

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Today, I was looking for a something lost of mine, when I opened a drawer. In the drawer were about five or six empty boxes of mints. I picked one up-the newest one, that had only been given to me yesterday. It was red and still shined with the glint of aluminium.

I’m an avid collector of mint containers-a hobby most would find strange or even peculiar, as opposed to collecting things such as stamps. When times were simpler,...

Maricela Jaimes (United States) published:

My diary

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Dear Diary,
     Today August 10 was a really long day full of so much drama. Like you would not believe what happen...I was in class minding my business and eating some hot cheeto puffs I had, when this girl comes up and says, “give me some chips?” I really just had a little bit. I told her,”sorry I don’t have anymore.”She really got upset because she noticed I had some. She started a scene over some chips. She was really...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Carly Goodman (United States) published:

Spicy Mangos in Teatown

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Throughout my life, regardless of where I lived or how old I was, there was one food that I could always count on, that wouldn’t change. Trader Joe’s Dried Chile Spiced Mango, or ‘spicy mangos’ as I called them, were dried mangos covered in sugar and paprika. They were one of those rare foods that have the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. And if accompanied by a glass of cold milk, they could be all three of your daily...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Luke WestPoley (United States) published:

Sauerkraut, the Fantastic Fermented Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Most people see sauerkraut as sour, soggy inedible food that sits in a jar in the back of the fridge for years, only to be pulled out and smelled once in a while, after which it is then stuffed back in its spot. But for some families even of distant German descent, sauerkraut is a wonder, fermented for years to bring out its intense flavor, eaten for good luck in the New Year. The...