All writing published for Food Writing Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

1

WannabeYourEndgame (India) published:

EAT, DON'T PRAY, LOVE

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I scream you scream, let’s all scream, for ice cream!
So true, it hurts. But we are not here to scream for Ice-cream, even though I wouldn’t have minded that. For early men, Food was just the means to an end, the end being their survival, of course. With wild carnivorous saber-toothed tigers and wild boars roaming around freely and an underdeveloped brain to seal the deal, it was pretty hard, survival that is. Never mind that, over the thousands...

Seeking Peer Reviews

siamesekitten (United States) published:

The Unbreakable Bond Food Gives to Us

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Imagine food as if it is an extension cord. When you use one, you're bringing multiple cords to plug into that one extension. The extension cord is bringing all of the other plugs together. If food is the extension cord, we are the plugs. 

Sitting at the dinner table with our families, dishes, silverware, and most importantly, food on every plate. This is the time that we all use to relax and bond with our families. The time...

3

Kaartika (India) published:

The History of the Indian Cuisine

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

All my life, I have loved Indian Cuisine. The mouth-burning spices, the aromatic ingredients, and the complexity of flavors are what Indian food is known for and I grew up surrounded by all these amazing delicacies, savoring a different dish in every single day of my life.

Growing up, this was the normal food; food that I ate regularly for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. No other cuisines were introduced to me, I didn’t discover any new tastes. I grew...

Seeking Peer Reviews

WannabeYourEndgame (India) published:

EAT, DON'T PRAY, LOVE

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

WannabeYourEndgame (India) published:

EAT, DON'T PRAY, LOVE

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

24

balmainxbangtan (United States) published:

Black People Don't Eat Sushi

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

“Black people don’t eat sushi.” He said it while I was in the middle of filling a bowl with grits, awaiting their seasoning of butter, salt, and pepper (because that’s the way to best serve grits). It was breakfast time at our small church on the side of the road in an affluent suburb of Nashville TN.  Our church boasts 65 attendees on a good Sunday, and there is always twice enough food. Standing on the hill for 125 years,...

yankees992 (United States) published:

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I bite into the crisp, very slightly burnt buttery dough of the bread. The gooey cheddar cheese spills out of its surrounding white bread shell. The strong flavor of the cheese and the salty taste of the buttered bread combine to make one of my absolute favorite tastes in the world: my grandmother's grilled cheese sandwich. 
    When I was younger, my grandmother ran a daycare. She was the best at it. Kids would literally leave her...

1
1

she_writes (United States) published:

The Honey Cookie Grandmother

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The most insensitive thing you could do to a cookie is to scoop the dough harshly with a melon baller and plop it on the cookie sheet without another thought, not taking the time to shape and form the dough. Doing so makes the dough ball crude and unshapen. Instead of this method, my grandmother taught me as a little girl to roll each bit of dough carefully between my palms, back and forth, to make each one alike. When...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Saadia (United States) published:

Grape Leaves

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

“What is that?” I hear someone from across the table ask. I look through the rows of kids clutching their lunch trays to see a girl looking at me. “It smells gross.”
I go to respond when someone else seems to take interest in my food too.
“Yeah, what is that?” They ask with a disgusted face.
I look at them in partial confusion, mentally preparing to defend myself and my food. It’s my first day of kindergarten, sitting in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Saadia (United States) published:

Grape Leaves

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Sophie Ouyang (United States) published:

Cooking

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I put all my weight into my forearms as I pulled, stretched, and folded the tough, glutinous mass of dough in front of me. Every ounce of my strength and concentration in this moment was being bestowed upon this simple mixture of flour, water, and salt. I yielded all of my energy to it knowing that it would come to nourish every part of my body. I inhaled and exhaled, the organic, earthy scent of natural yeast filled my nose....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Pavi Thangaraj (United Arab Emirates) published:

The Hunger Games

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

"Chaval Dena", or 'can I have some rice'is a phrase I hear when troublesome aunties come home. Why? Because Sharing is caring. This principle is very much prevalent in my India. I see a lot of jokes about troublesome Indian neighbours who don't buy anything and instead borrow from their neighbours. But trust me, it's not humorous in the least. Jokes apart, even neighboring countries trouble each other demanding food. The desert countries in Asia import all...
Seeking Peer Reviews

26
2

i (Australia) published:

It Tastes Like Cabbage

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

“Do you store it outside? Does the sun cook it?”

“Don’t be an idiot.”

She’s elbow-deep in red. It’s a game: chilli paste or blood? The latter suits her incredulous look: she’ll be cursing the sky next, asking her God to have mercy, to give back her own children with rational minds and common sense. My mother’s always had a flair for dramatics, but I suppose it comes with the blood. My long-suffering sigh earns me a steel glare.

I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

KhushiSharma (India) published:

Cuisine which describes me!!

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Food, food, food and food.
My mind often stops working when I'm asked anything related to food. When asked about liking good food, most of the people say yes.
My answer be that food is life and I live for it.
In India, it's the women who handle the family and keeps it together. She is the one who handles the kitchen and looks after all the members of her family.
Here in India, centuries ago, child marriages were practiced...

1

Velina Valenzuela (United States) published:

Giving Endless Possibilities

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

In your daily life, food isn't something that we think of as wonderful and only to an extent we are grateful for the food that we eat everyday. Do we really think of how food has brought us together as a species, in community, as people in general?

Food first came into my life before I was even out of my mother's womb. This is the case for all of us, for we all have mothers. That is also where...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Jemma (Singapore) published:

I'm With You Till The End Of The Line

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

*Ding!* I hear the sound of the timer going off and I stare impatiently as the bowl is brought before me. You can usually identify it by it's heavenly aroma spreading towards you the second it enters the room. Is it temptingly spicy like chilli? Is it alluringly fragrant like stock? Or is it tantalizingly sweet like honey? It can be any of the above, and so much more. 

Next, you can peer through the gentle waves of steam to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

e.merys (United States) published:

Tamagoyaki

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The sushi I had brought to lunch was tuna. Packed close with a small packet of Kikkoman's soy sauce, obviously the one with the red packaging, it was snuggled beside the tamagoyaki and pickled veggies. It was cushioned in my favorite container, which was large and vaguely rectangular with a bright bold illustration of the lucky cat all over it in reds and golds and blacks. In the depths of my lunchbox, it almost shone. 

Per our Sunday tradition, we...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

shreyamap (United States) published:

I Identify as a Cuisine

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

She poured the piping chai back and forth between the pot and cup—cooling it down for my sensitive tongue—and set it down before me alongside a plate of samosas. While relishing the flaky pastries packed with potatoes and peas, my mother would vent to me about the latest outrage at work and listen to me detail my positively riveting day at middle school. Each day without fail, I would retrieve a pack of biscuits from our stockpile sourced from...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Pi_Pen (United States) published:

Food: a Cultural and Political Reflection

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Who doesn't love to dig into a savory taco, meticulously roll spaghetti around their forks, or finally close their mouths around a steaming dumpling? The global cuisine is composed of delicacies from all around the world, and food has always had its way of globe-trotting from one mouth to another. Since the times of the Silk Route between the Roman Empire and Asia, humans have been in search of new ingredients and plates to fill their hungry stomachs. Wether we...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Emily Cho (United States) published:

The Miracle Jam

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Everyone has a certain food that they aren't really fond of. For me, one type of food that I absolutely couldn't take was any jams, condiments, or sauces. I was a very picky eater who really couldn't take mixing two flavors, such as tomato sauce and spaghetti noodles or strawberry ice cream and chocolate ice cream. However, out of all the combinations out there, I especially hated bread and jam.

I first hated mixing flavors when...

Vanessa Van (United States) published:

The Window to Culture: Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The time was ticking on the clock. People were rushing around, scrambling to make use of every last minute that they had left. Everybody was feeling the pressure weigh onto them like a ton of bricks, and this battle-like ground was intensifying. The time that the people had left was quickly passing. Just as Maria was about to lay the final touch onto her plate--"And that's all of the time that we have left. Hands up, and drop...

Briseya (United States) published:

Being Healthy

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

You smell something delicious coming from the kitchen. As they bring out the food, you sit back in shock. That delicious smell is coming from vegetables. You see, vegetables may not be good to the taste but they are really healthy for you. Vegetables carry many vitamins that are really important for your body to function correctly. So, if you want to stay healthy, eat your vegetables. There are ways to eat the vegetables you need and make them taste...

jamuwu (United States) published:

Etag, the Igorots' meat delicacy

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Journalist Mark Kurlansky once said that “Food is a central activity of mankind and one of the single most significant trademarks of a culture”. In the high cordillera regions of the Philippines, a traditional meat delicacy that retains the Cordillerans' a.k.a Igorots' cultural identities and takes an interesting approach in cooking meat. This meat delicacy is called the Etagmeat, a preserved, dried and salted slab of any type of meat especially pork, known for its unique traditional procedure of curing...
Seeking Peer Reviews

50shadesofanxiety (United States) published:

Food in a nutshell

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

You take a bite out of that warm, steaming plate of turkey dinner. You look around, seeing the faces of all your relatives. Not speaking a word, they all turn their attention to the food. Its quiet, all you can hear is the clacking of the silverware. Of course, there’s that one uncle that eats like a slob, getting mashed potatoes tangled in his beard. The step-aunt complaining about how the turkey was made, and how it would have been...

Seeking Peer Reviews

maddiefisher (United States) published:

The Meaning of Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Food is a lot more than just something we eat.
Since we were young, me and my siblings loved to come together to help our family cook, no matter how much we fought with each other. We took turns cracking eggs, mixing ingredients, whisking, pretty much anything our mom would let us help with we were eager to do. She was always happy to have us help and for the bonding time it gave us, for her to teach us...
Seeking Peer Reviews