All writing published for Food Writing Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Default avatar user icon

fionaxu (China) published:

The Dark Side of Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Has anyone ever told you to eat healthier? Well, what does eating healthier actually mean? Healthier for our bodies, our relationships, or our planet? Throughout the years, humans have been growing, harvesting, cultivating, cooking, fermenting, preserving, and eating their own foods. As new technologies are discovered and new research is done, we have changed how we produce our food. For better or worse (and it's normally worse), the food we are consuming is affecting our bodies and how we live. ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Win 20190120 22 09 19 pro

Eve13 (United States) published:

Food and Drink - Cultural Determination?

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Food is a big part of culture, whether it's homemade sweets, freshly harvested veggies, greasy fast food, or any number of other unique and exciting cuisine specialties.  Here, we take a look at some of the iconic foods from different cultures in the world I am creating. 
    For some, spices and herbs are a part of everyday life.  For others, they are a luxury, barely ever present in their cooking.  But for this village, hidden deep in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Download

A person (Australia) published:

Eternally Red

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I can remember. The memory feels as if it was happening right before me still. I viewed it in slow motion. Over and over and over and over again. Oh! If only it were really happening again right now: I could do something!

But it’s not. It’s just a memory – just a stain of red on white innocence.

I can remember. We were young boys, not yet grown into our handsome. We skipped along like the children we...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Jeylan (United States) published:

Forks and Spoons

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Screen shot 2018 11 09 at 6.15.01 pm

Rui Yi Ang (Singapore) published:

Chicken Rice

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Chicken rice. A dish served with an array of flavorful condiments, succulent chicken, and steaming fragrant rice. 

This dish was my ride or die, especially when my grandmother prepared it. Going over to my cousin's house to watch her prepare it during a family gathering was my favorite part of the dinner, besides getting to taste it of course. 

With each deliberate slice of the chicken, she carved out the best parts to serve. With each minute that passed by,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Joseph Reza (United States) published:

The Bad Side Of Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Have you ever looked at a plate and thought, what exactly am I putting into my body?  Food that is natural is healthy but it is what we humans put into it that makes it unhealthy.  For example, diabetes come to people because of the amount of sugar that is added into food, but too much sugar is barely scratching the surface on unhealthy food.  Unhealthy things that are bad for us, but still put into food are artificial colors/flavors,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Peer ambassador badge
6
1

efflorescence (United States) published:

Eat

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Don’t eat.
    Don’t eat.
    Don’t. Eat.
    I switch off my blaring alarm and allow myself a minute or two of relaxation before forcing myself to move. A few rays of sunlight peek through the gauzy curtain covering my window, but the crack underneath my door is dark. I throw on a baggy hoodie and leggings, brush my frizzy hair, and step into the hallway. I scurry down the steps and tiptoe into the kitchen, flicking on the lights as I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

thaddeuskkr (Singapore) published:

Food For Thought

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

There is one word that inspires all connoisseurs, chefs and cooks. We probably all already know what it is.
Food.
It does not only appeal to them. It appeals to all of us. Living without this would threaten our very existence. Not having this would completely change the world. The human body can only survive for three weeks without food. After that, we would perish. This is why we need to value our food. Meanwhile, as you are reading this,...

Default avatar user icon

zombietime155 (United States) published:

Do we need food?

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The importance of a good meal; we've all had those days where we come home from school or work and just feel down, or things in life keep getting more stressful as things go on. Sometimes all we need is some food in our stomachs, something warm (or cold depending on what you like) to fill us up. Maybe you need to keep your mind occupied. Maybe you're bored (even though there is much healthier ways to deal with boredom)....

Default avatar user icon
4
1

Mika Izu (United States) published:

Privileged Society

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Munching on a sweet, crimson berry. Savoring the crunch of seeds against one's tongue. Delighting in fireworks of flavor explode in one's mouth as one bites into a ripe fruit. These are all things most of us take for granted. However, behind the colorful food, there is a story. A story of determination and sometimes loss. Perhaps the easiest way to appreciate what is on one's plate is to learn the story behind it.
    Small and large farms alike...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
3

ReadtoWrite (United States) published:

Food without Flavor

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

They cooked the food--slaving at the stove for hours, grinding the lentils and the rice and the water, watching the clock for the freshly made yogurt-but they ate last. They finished the leftovers from the night before, or sometimes they slapped together a pathetic sandwich-lacking in flavor and warmth--because everyone before them had stuffed their faces full of food. The women in traditional Indian families could fight for their own rights. To go to work, or to stay at home....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
2

poemschway (United States) published:

Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

If you think about it, potatoes really are quite similar to rocks. They're both round-ish, ugly, and if thrown with high speed at someone's head, that individual will probably die. However, there are certain key differences between potatoes and rocks.
For one, the dull earthy hue of potatoes is generally more uniformly brown than the motley color pallet of gravels, pebbles, and stones. Additionally, most rocks only come in two varieties: serrated or smooth. Potatoes, on the other hand, are...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Happy
1

AudienceOfOne (United States) published:

Food with Thought

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The human brain can't help but notice the presence of food. No matter what the circumstances, it is as if our brain is programmed to search, find, and consume it. As a growing teenager in American society, I can validate this statement. These are often the topics on my mind: Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. How soon? What is it? Mmmm, that smells good. Can I have some? I am constantly thinking about how to nourish myself, what I want to eat....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Sketchbook (United States) published:

Controversy of Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Food is a very controversial topic. I mean, think about it: there’s so many different views of food. What’s truly healthy and unhealthy? Which fad diets actually work? Eating food is required for a healthy diet, yet, too much or too little can lead to diseases. How can something  so helpful, and necessary, be so harmful?
Obesity is one of the most common diseases in the United States. It presents itself as an individual being severely overweight. This disease develops...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Con4
1

Mr. Mammoth (Australia) published:

Ikea Cake

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

One day, when my brother and I were young (I was 9 and my brother was 7), we went to IKEA. Not a big deal, although we would always be fascinated with the model bedrooms there. My brother, father and I checked out and were confronted with the food store. My father was interested in the wide variety of jams, including lingonberry, and left me and my brother to our own means, so long as we didn’t steal anything, break...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Dystopian (Australia) published:

The Columbian Exchange

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The Potato, The staple of most European diets in the 18th and 19th centuries did in fact originate in South America
and only made it to Europe in the 17th century during what was dubbed The 'Columbian Exchange'  by Alfred w. Crosby in honour of Christopher Columbus the first European to land in america. 

The Columbian Exchange occurred during the 15th and 16th centuries during which the diets of almost everyone in the new and old world changed as they...

Default avatar user icon
1

Dela TheBookDragon (United States) published:

A Pinch of Laughter and a Hint of Fun

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

My beautiful, juicy burger and crispy fries sat on my plate, beckoning me to devour them. Waiters were bustling to and from tables, ready to serve. The rumble of conversation and laughter filled the air, along with the aroma of the flavorful food. The lovely aesthetic of the vintage diner only added to the experience. Everyone seemed to be having fun and bonding. The whole restaurant was alive. 

Then, I looked around at my table and my heart sank a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

writingwarrior812 (United States) published:

Vacation Sandwiches

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

My family and I like to travel, and when we do, we drive to our destinations.  Vacation vans have contained many good memories, including playing video games and watching movies (things that are limited at home for my siblings and me but which we are allowed to do more on vacation), as well as seeing scenery outside of my hometown. The common factor of all of the drives to all of my family’s vacation destinations is sandwiches, which my dad...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Vacation Sandwiches

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
3
2

Pooja M. (United States) published:

Cutting the Roots

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

The Tamil-girl part of me sees the spellcraft woven into each little ball of sweetness… the clobbering, the stirring, the crushing, the rushing, the rouging, the rising, the loving.  Bananas, flour, jaggery, salt, walnuts, ghee, and perfection.  That's it.  The burning of the paniyarams in the little valleyed plate, the stabbing and removing to see how perfect they are.  The never having to check if, just how.  They look a little burned, a little darker than normal, but it’s...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 4274

Kira Robles (United States) published:

All From The Same Apple

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Food, it's almost everywhere. Some people eat too much of it while others eat too little of it. It's a basic human necessity and where many can find some type of sanctuary and or common ground. Food connects us from all types of different people, cultures, races, and beliefs, as well as personal preferences and ideas. With food, we are able to be as creative as possible. For example, one can create a sandwich with chicken and pancakes or make...

Default avatar user icon
1

shreyamap (United States) published:

I Identify as a Cuisine

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

She poured the piping chai back and forth between the pot and cup—cooling it down for my sensitive tongue—and set it down before me alongside a plate of samosas. While relishing the flaky pastries packed with potatoes and peas, my mother would vent to me about the latest outrage at work and listen to me detail my positively riveting day at middle school. Each day without fail, I would retrieve a pack of biscuits from our stockpile sourced from...

Unnamed %281%29
3
2

WannabeYourEndgame (India) published:

EAT, DON'T PRAY, LOVE

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

I scream you scream, let’s all scream, for ice cream!
So true, it hurts. But we are not here to scream for Ice-cream, even though I wouldn’t have minded that. For early men, Food was just the means to an end, the end being their survival, of course. With wild carnivorous saber-toothed tigers and wild boars roaming around freely and an underdeveloped brain to seal the deal, it was pretty hard, survival that is. Never mind that, over the thousands...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Unnamed %281%29
1

WannabeYourEndgame (India) published:

EAT, DON'T PRAY, LOVE

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

siamesekitten (United States) published:

The Unbreakable Bond Food Gives to Us

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2019

Imagine food as if it is an extension cord. When you use one, you're bringing multiple cords to plug into that one extension. The extension cord is bringing all of the other plugs together. If food is the extension cord, we are the plugs. 

Sitting at the dinner table with our families, dishes, silverware, and most importantly, food on every plate. This is the time that we all use to relax and bond with our families. The time...