All writing published for Earth Day Writing Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

1

Clarissa Merriweather (United States) published:

Is it Life or is it Death?

PROMPT: Earth Day Writing Competition 2019

"Is it their grandfather? Is the ocean apart of us?" She asked curiously, a child who knew nothing but wanted to know more than she was born for. She stood on the edge of a rock by the sea. Her eyes scanned the grey waters missing nothing.
Her Grandfather stood behind her.
"Yes child, she is," the wise old man responded, "She throws herself on millions of grains of sand, back and forth. She carries the rhythm of the moon...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

WriteCodeSleep (Canada) published:

Literally Everything You Will Need to Know About Climate Change in this Huge, Epic Proposal

Dear Members of the WTW Community;

Climate change really is a serious problem, so I would like to express all my insights of climate change by mixing two prompts, which I know is not allowed. Without further ado, let's get started.
     To start off, climate change is not only harmful to the environment, but it is increasing the death toll of both humans and animals, while 20 to 40% of Americans, including the rest of the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

xvwriting (United States) published:

when i say, what i mean, what you do

when i say, colour me bright
i mean use your crayons to landscape vibrance.
but you smoke my lungs, and filter my verdance
in gray scyscraper dullness.

when i say, eat my fruit,
i mean enjoy a delicacy,
not barren my soul:
a gluttony i cannot behold.

when i say, use me carefully
i mean use me. but let me live
but you kill me the very instant
i give you a consented nod.

when i say, fill my void,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Sam Sweeney (United Kingdom) published:

Sorry

Dear future,
I'm sorry.
Sorry I poisoned the sea and killed all the fish. Sorry I ate all your meat and let you starve. Sorry I left you with no land to farm on. Sorry I allowed the sea levels to rise and the ice caps to shrink. Sorry I let our oceans warm up and sorry I increased the number of natural disasters.
Sorry I let you down.

We are the future and we have been nominated to make...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Nella (Zimbabwe) published:

Silent cries

Gone are the days when people used to preserve nature. Nature was seen as a beuty that wasn't  supposed to be destroyed. However things have changed over the past years. With the growing need for money people  are now indulging in different ways of earning it through distruction of the beautiful nature. Some of these ways incude the use of CFCs which is depleting the ozone layer and disposal of industrial wastes into the water bodies . Everyday thousands of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

172565 (United States) published:

Ozone Depletion

Ozone Depletion
Aryo Panlasigui
Early College High School

Aryo Panlasigui
Treffner
Period 3
11.7.18

Scientists have discovered three new chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) that have contributed to the deterioration of the ozone. CFCs is a gas that is used in refrigerants and propellants in aerosol cans. When scientists discovered the hole in the ozone over Antarctica in 1985 they found that CFCs were the cause. And “[because] the annual ozone hole breaks up in spring, pockets of ozone-depleted air sometimes move...

Aurora Borealis_03 (India) published:

On the brink of extinction.......

PROMPT ONE 
ICONIC SPECIES (OP-ED) 
INTRODUCTION:
“The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed.”
                                                                                                                              ― Mahatma Gandhi.
This quote suits so much for today’s world. We get everything on a silver- no- gold platter that we don’t realize its importance and exploit it. Sustainability being just a word, the efforts of some people who are genuinely trying to protect and conserve the environment are losing significance because of the rest who damage...

Lyd (United States) published:

Sea Turtles Versus Climate Change

Sea Turtles Versus Climate Change
                                                                  Op-Ed

In the wake of growing concern for climate change, issues regarding animal species’ survival have been continuously resurfacing. Within the year the spotlight has been set onto one the ocean’s most gentle creatures: the sea turtle. The sea turtle has been the center of attention of news...

Alicat (United States) published:

Climate Change Catastrophe

I've heard the stories. Rivers withering away to nothing in different lands, polar ice caps melting in the Arctic ocean, the earth as we know it slowly dying under our destructive hand. I've seen the pictures of devastation because of natural disasters that popped up due to our lack of caring, and I've read the news stories over how the ocean life is perishing not only from pollution, but from rising temperatures in the water. Climate change has had such...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
2

thechosenonemico (Philippines) published:

Stranded

Prompt 3- Saving Ourselves

The crash of the unrelentless storm almost drowns every sound— the loud barks of our Shih Tzus on the garage, the cautionary announcements and occasional static on the radio, the loud thumps of footsteps across the whole house— but the whispers of my breath against the window pane grow louder every passing second. For a moment, my breathing falls into a familiar rhythm, bringing me back to last night.

It was all the sound I had...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Aarush (United States) published:

Earth Day Proposal - Aarush Rompally

You set your alarm to 5:00 a.m. You must slog through swamps and trek through endless forests to a secret laboratory at the crack of dawn. A bomb is set to explode at precisely 6:00 a.m., and if it does, the Earth and everything on it will fragment into tiny atoms, floating through space. You fall into a deep sleep, but when you wake up, you realize that you overslept! The time is now 5:45 a.m. In fifteen minutes,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

KAITLYN FLANAGAN (United States) published:

Petals Singed Black

Prompt 3 - "Saving Ourselves"

“Petals Singed Black”

Flames. The unrivaled natural disaster. Able to rob a life with an unforgiving breath of orange. Enveloping lives in harnassing clouds of smoke, filtering the air a smoggy gray. But where did it all begin? Was it the wrath of the Earth that summoned a single sliver of fire to dance along the brown plains? Or was it the wind's fault that the houses crested with ashes were burned to the core?...

Seeking Peer Reviews

e12 (Canada) published:

A Wildfire

It was May 1st, 2016, a typical Sunday. I turned on the TV to hear the news report on the Fort McMurray wildfire, which lasted for 15 months.

On the news, the flaming, orange fire was everywhere and the people in Fort Mcmurray were trying to escape from the fire furiously. Firefighters from all of Alberta came to Fort McMurray and worked together to stop the fire as fast as they could. Houses slowly tumbled down to the ground...

PerspicaciousMcNugget (United States) published:

Urban Farming, a Simple Solution to a Complex Problem

When on the topic of agriculture, one would rarely comprehend the idea of farms in an urban center. A picturesque image of sprawling fields of grain and vegetables with cows and sheep in the background would much more easily come to mind. Some might even find the idea of urban farms an absurd notion. On the contrary however, I believe that urban farming would be a simple solution to many major problems. On average, 17% of each household’s carbon...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

oreyesce (United Kingdom) published:

Suffocating

Prompt 3 - "Saving ourselves"

On a good day you could close your eyes and pretend none of it ever happened. If you knew where to go you could feel the warm breeze caressing your skin and the faintest twitter of birds in the surviving trees. Of course everything was quieter now. They did try to tell us. But we wouldn’t listen.
Those who didn’t die in the storms or the floods were forced to relocate further inland to escape...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Grace Fitzpatrick (United States) published:

Saving Ourselves From Ourselves

Living in the seasonal climate of Massachusetts, I became accustomed to extreme weather patterns during my childhood. This was -- as most things are -- a blessing and a curse; on the one hand I can confidently say surviving in -10 degree weather is possible and that 80 degrees is the blessing of a cool summer’s day, but on the other hand I can affirm Seasonal Affective Disorder is one of the closest ways a human can get to experience...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Ellieya (India) published:

A God Forsaken World

Prompt Three -  Saving Ourselves

Everyday I wake up thirty minutes earlier than when papa wakes up. I lie next to him, my head propped up with my hand and analyse the wrinkles on his face and hands. He is too young to have twenty-seven wrinkles on his face including a permanent frown on his forehead. No, I am not counting them to see how old he is getting. I know times have been devastatingly difficult this year and it’s...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Teoh Yoke Yong (Singapore) published:

An Outcry for International Cooperation

Prompt 2: Sustainability and Innovation
Written by: Teoh Yoke Yong of Singapore, Hwa Chong Institution
Proposal for United nations Council dealing with Environmental conservation and Global warming
In the latest wave of devastating news regarding the Earth , I have learnt that not only have “Giraffes (sic) silently [gotten on] the list of endangered animals facing extinction”, but also that “planting trees can no longer save us” from the perils of global warming.
First and foremost, I would like to...

3
1

Mariana G (Mexico) published:

A Stranded City amidst a Dying Planet

I’ve realized that humans are the cruelest of creatures; we see the Earth dying before us, struggling for another choking breath and we laugh at it. The warming of our world doesn´t exist, we say, it can´t possibly do. Our youth has lived through an era of political irresponsibility and a total denial towards our world´s ever-approaching doom. We have grown up with the idea that tomorrow we’ll fix the world, that tomorrow we can take a step towards change,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

mariam (Lebanon) published:

Save polar bears

PROMPT THREE:  Saving Ourselves (CREATIVE NONFICTION) 

Imagine waking up one morning, looking from your window, and discovering polar bears invading your garden!
Or picture living in a place that is getting destroyed due to climate change, something you never expected would happen.
Just conceptualize that you are facing the direct consequences of something out of your direct control!
Thoroughly, this is exactly what happened in the Russian Arkhangelsk region and specifically in ‘Belushya Guba’!
According to a story published by Russian news agency TASS on Saturday, February 9, a group of at...

2
4

WitchyKitty (United States) published:

The U.S. Government is Ignoring the Signs of Climate Change, Putting our Earth at Risk

Snow is falling, sweet and soft outside the window. A thin layer coats the ground, enough for you to see a few strands of grass that seemed to have been missed the last time dad mowed the lawn. Each snowflake is different; special, little, and beautiful. It’s the perfect winter day. But don’t you remember? Three years ago today, there was a harsh blizzard. What will happen three years from now? Soon, all the snow will be gone. This...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

CLARISSA DAWNIELLE TAN WEI LUN (Singapore) published:

The Dengue Scare

It was only early this year when my cousin was diagnosed with Dengue fever. A disease transmitted through the bite of an infected mosquito, it causes flu-like symptoms such as fever and in worst case scenarios, even fatalities. When my family heard of my cousin’s condition, we panicked. Mosquitoes were fairly common in our part of the world, Singapore, due to our tropical climate which provides the ideal conditions for mosquitoes to thrive. However, it never crossed our minds that...

LOH KAI YUAN (Singapore) published:

Saving Ourselves - Saving the Garden City

Name: Loh Kai Yuan
   Country: Singapore
   Prompt: Saving Ourselves (Creative Non-Fiction)
   Title: Saving the Garden City

“Singapore officially freezing,” screamed local news website Mothership.sgin January 2018. On the streets of Orchard Road, locals donned their winterwear and took the opportunity to layer their clothing for the first time. Indeed, many Singaporeans reveled in the cool weather, as temperatures dropped to 21 degrees Celsius, marking Singapore’s longest cold spell in over a decade. The degree...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

sheryllynntan (Singapore) published:

Climate Changed Me

In the early days of 2018, my country witnessed a rare five-day long cool spell. The temperatures dipped between 21 degrees celsius to 22 degree celsius, a far cry from the usual sweltering 32 degree celsius we often lament about. The cool weather was a fever dream for many Singaporeans. Relishing the cool weather, Singaporeans kicked away their flip flops and began donning their colorful sweaters all around the island. Free from repulsive sweat, poor sleep and unbearable heat, the...

1

Harzi (Philippines) published:

The Earth and Us: Sentience and Beyond

PROMPT THREE:
SAVING OURSELVES ( CREATIVE NONFICTION)

I've always wondered why our plants are wilting. Me and my mother have been watering it everyday. A great faction of the food our family eats is from our little garden. I voiced out my frustration once and my mother, while watering sedulously,  answered in a tired tone that it was climate change and global warming. My mind flew to when nights became freezing cold and the days...
Seeking Peer Reviews