What does this word mean to you?
The Oxford Dictionary defines “refuge” as:
- The state of being safe or sheltered from pursuit, danger, or difficulty.
- A place or situation providing safety or shelter.
At a time when refugees are synonymous with political discord, it’s easy to lose touch with the root of the issue: people looking for a safe place to live, to raise a family, to go to school.
Dear writers, what does “refuge” mean to you, in YOUR life? In advance of World Refugee Day on June 20, help us renew our understanding of this concept by writing a definition (or two or three), using examples from your own life:
For some inspiration, check out some of your fellow writers' efforts to make sense of this concept, at once universal and personal:
- "Refuge for the Like-Minded" by Gabriel Goodwin
- "Only Time Will Tell" by Swasti
- "it does not mean" by Vanilla
- "Refuge" by FairNoble