All writing published for Bookshelf

Published writing

2

Ellie! (United States) published:

Books 2019

PROMPT: Bookshelf

Below is a list of every single book I read in 2019. I kept this list running the entire year with the intent to publish it on New Year's Day, then completely forgot about it until today. If you have a question about a specific book, author, anything, feel free to leave me a comment!

One Of Us Is Lying by Karen McManus
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
Time Bomb by Joelle Charbonneau
Long Way Down ...

pj_daughter_of_athena (United Kingdom) published:

My Bookshelf to You

PROMPT: Bookshelf

I have read many books within the last year, mostly for school; however, here are my beloved chosen few that I wish to share with you.

The Cuckoo's Calling:
Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling)

This book has so many fascinating characters, all with contrasting backgrounds and with such detail you imagine them as your friend. There is a real strong, powerful female, Robin, who has inspired me, even if a fictional character. The book - itself - is about the death...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Pavi Thangaraj (United Arab Emirates) published:

From, A non-egghead like you!

PROMPT: Bookshelf

Reading...I have been reading for more than half of my life. Reading pamphlets, hotel menus, Gucci and Versace catalogue, shop boards, my boring textbooks, tabloids - OK! I am kidding. I don't like any of the above, but I am totally into novels - fantasy, mystery, adventure and thriller are what catch my eyes. But I am a 'strict' reviewer and very choosy about my picks. So here are some books I think everyone MUST Read.
1) Rebel of the...

2

c.moses11 (United Kingdom) published:

Bookshelf ideas from this academic year

PROMPT: Bookshelf

1.) Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
2.) The Girl Before - JD Delaney
3.) To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
4.) 1984 - George Orwell
5.) The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris
6.) The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas
7.) The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
8.) The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
9.) The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
10.) 13 Reasons Why - Jay Asher
11.) The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

1

Ravenclaw bibliophile (United Kingdom) published:

Books I’ve read and want to share

PROMPT: Bookshelf

I’ve read so many books over the past year, Some will stay with me forever (let’s hope so anyway). I love reading fantasy, literately fantasy is my life. Anyway I better not get into my life story it’s probably way to boring . Okay so books I’ve read and would recommend.

Title: School for good and evil 
Author:Soman Chainani
Genre: fantasy 
synopsis: A group of boys and girls are taken to a school. where they are trained to become fairy tale-like...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Mae! (United States) published:

Three Eloquent Noteworthies

PROMPT: Bookshelf

Title: Americanah
Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Genre: Realistic Fiction
My rating: 1,000,000 stars! This is the most amazing book I've ever read.

This is a beautiful novel about Ifemelu, a Nigerian women who emigrated to the US for university. It tells her story and the parallel one of Obinze, her first boyfriend, in an eloquent, eye-opening way that touches upon one's sense of belonging, racism in America, and the difficulty of going to a new country. Every little detail was perfect...

paige_perigo2004 (United Kingdom) published:

Just another kid

PROMPT: Bookshelf

Just another kid by Torey Hayden is a non-fiction and enticing memoir about six children.

It is undoubtedly an amazing peice and one that you just feel like you need to read. Once you have started the first chapter you will just want to keep on reading, personally I stayed up most of the night reading this book and barely even realised. I read it in school at home even on the bus it was that good!
Torey Hayden wanted...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

bibliophile (United States) published:

Book Recommendation

PROMPT: Bookshelf

Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow
Jessica Townsend
Fantasy
Morrigan Crow was born on Eventide, the unluckiest day of the year. She's blamed for the entire town's misfortunes, and is cursed to die on her eleventh birthday. A man by the name of Jupiter North rescues her from her terrible fate, bringing her to a magical city called Nevermoor, and giving Morrigan the chance to join respected society- if she can make it past four trials that will test her...

1

From, A non-egghead like you!

PROMPT: Bookshelf

1) Rebel of the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jose (India) published:

Fight between life and death

PROMPT: Bookshelf

When Breathe Becomes Air
It's high time we need to change our approach towards life,we follow the same routine ,nothing out of ordinary.To escape from this sometimes we need to put into someone's else shoes and that's when Dr. Kalanithi's story comes.We take things for granted,but losing everything that is dear to you makes us realise the true potential within us.The story revolves around a neurosurgeon's life,choices he make and his fate but besides the way story revolves it enables...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Zobot (United States) published:

Fish Girl

PROMPT: Bookshelf

My most favorite book current has to be Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. It is a dramatic romance, but even that doesn't do it justice. This thrilling story follows Rachel Chu as she navigates the ins and outs of her boyfriend Nick Young's crazy family. It also alternates chapters with Nick's cousin Astrid Leong Teo. She is the epitome of wealth and beauty, but hides a savvy business mind beneath the all the diamonds. Her wealth also hides the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Kit_Kat (United States) published:

Bookshelf

PROMPT: Bookshelf

Title: ECHO
Author: Pam Muñoz Ryan
Genre: Historical Fiction
Summary: ECHO follows three children in three seemingly unrelated times and situations. Friedrich is a German boy with a birthmark in a time where Nazis target imperfections, Mike is an orphan in Pennsylvania who struggles to take care of his younger brother, and Ivy is a Mexican girl who struggles with segregation in her California school. Their stories are brought together with a harmonica that gives them each strength, peace, and...

CoJo (United States) published:

Books, Books, and more Books!

PROMPT: Bookshelf

We all like to write or at least I hope so since you are writing on this website. But the real question is do we all like to read. I really enjoy reading and if you don't I am here to tell you some of my favorite books and series to read.
    The first series that I am recommending is The Land of Storiesby Chris Colfer. You might recognize the author's name because he starred as Kurt in Glee....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Dmoral (United States) published:

Tuck Everlasting

PROMPT: Bookshelf

Tuck Everlasting
By Natalie Babbitt
Fantasy

Is living forever a blessing or a curse?

1

buddingauthor (India) published:

Crucial Parts of My Bookshelf

PROMPT: Bookshelf

So this year, my target is to read at least fifteen books, out of which I have finished only six and am trying to read two books at the same time- one borrowed from a friend, the other from a library. I did read ten amazing books last year but I would like to suggest three books I read this year. [WARNING- These suggestions are super dramatic but I promise, they are true.]

1.Title- The Rosie Project
 ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hannoodle (United States) published:

A Curse

PROMPT: Bookshelf

A Curse so Dark and Lonely
By: Brigid Kemmerer

This is a fantasy novel similar to a readaptation of the classic fairytale Beauty and the Beast. Kemmerer writes about the worry that comes with poverty and the mistakes made in unawareity. She rights about the beauty of sorrow. This is a book that can make you cry and laugh on the same page, so please, ENJOY!

2

Oven (United States) published:

Books you should read

PROMPT: Bookshelf

• The Hate U Give
  • by: 
  • Angie Thomas
  • Realistic fiction
  • 16 year old Starr is a black girl living two different lives depending on whether she's at her rich-kid school with no diversity, or at home in her neighborhood. She is trying to end racism and classism when something terrible happens. Starr must fight for what is right, so that equality is reached. 

Riley Bentson (United States) published:

Bookshelf

PROMPT: Bookshelf

The first book I would recommend would be Cinder by Marissa Meyer. This is a sci-fi novel, it is a futuristic tale of Cinderella, the main character Lihn Cinder is an adopted cyborg. In the first book of The Lunar Chronicles, she battles many different things, an evil queen, death, and much more.
    The second book I would recommend would have to be If You're Reading This by Trent Reedy. This fiction book is...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

ashdeanmanns (United States) published:

Bookshelf | Recommendation

PROMPT: Bookshelf

Title: Lord of the Flies
Author: William Golding
Genre: Fiction
Synopsis: After a wreckage, a large group of schoolboys end up on a deserted island. Working through different ideas and butting personalities, the boys have to work out survival and life on the island that they may never be rescued from.

Title: Vegetables Endowed With Too Much Meaning
Author: Kevin Kantor
Genre: Poetry
Synopsis: Made up of poems derives from (mostly) real events, Kevin Kantor barres his soul to his...

Aries Music Lover (United States) published:

Must Reads

PROMPT: Bookshelf

Hi! I have a small list of must reads, originally I wasn't going to write for this because I love so many different books, I am an avid reader, but... I decided that my opinion should be shared to an audience who actually cares... so here it is:
Title, Author, Genre (in that order)

1. Some Boys, Patty Blount, Young Adult . Romance . Contemporary . Realistic Fiction . Sociology > Abuse
A girl deals with the turmoil of people...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Flaw (Malaysia) published:

Reads

PROMPT: Bookshelf

3. Siddhartha
    Hermann Hesse
    Philosophical Fiction
    "Siddhartha, wanting to gain spiritual illumination, leaves his home to become an ascetic beggar. From there, he meets many people from which he learns valuable lessons. This is a tale of a young man and his spiritual journey of self-discovery."

2. The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
    Ursula K. Le Guin
    Short Philosophical Fiction
    "Omelas: a city of utopia that had once existed long ago. But there...

1

dontbelievethehype (Australia) published:

My Bookshelf

PROMPT: Bookshelf

Submarine is a coming of age novel by Joe Dunthrone. It orginally caught my attention last year when I was deeply obsessed with the Arctic Monkeys and I came across the soundtrack Alex Turner had wrote for it (being asked by the director, Richard Ayode, who happened to also be a friend), and I loved the slow low sonnets. I striked gold when I found the full film on YouTube an immediently fell in loves with its strangness. Like the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

PureHeart (United Kingdom) published:

Good Reads

PROMPT: Bookshelf

The Declaration
by Gemma Malley.

Genre: A dystopian fiction, set in the year of 2140.
Synopsis: The protagonist, Anna, should not be here. She is a Surplus. Living in Grange Hall, where all Surplus' are battered with rules. These rules have to be obeyed in order to make up for breaking the biggest rule of all: being born. Things start to change in Grange Hall. A boy, Peter, disrupts the submissive behaviour expected from Surplus children. Starting tell Anna shocking...
Seeking Peer Reviews

LoveToWrite+Read (United States) published:

Book Reccomendations

PROMPT: Bookshelf

• Scythe
    • Neal Shusterman
    • Dystopian Future
    • Humanity has conquered disease, war, misery, and even death. Only scythes can deliver death to control the population size. Citra and Rowan must master the art of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own.
  • Out of my Mind
    • Sharon M. Draper
    • Realistic Fiction
    • Words have always swirled around Melody like snowflakes, but there's just one problem. No one knows it. Melody can't talk, or walk, or feed herself, or even...

2

tragicbirthday (United States) published:

Good books

PROMPT: Bookshelf

Well... *shrugs* 3 books I've loved over the past year. (lol 2/3 are queer)

The Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin
Realistic Fiction
    Riley Cavanaugh struggles with being a closeted gender-fluid teen at their new high school while their congressman father is running for re-election. To cope with their not-outtedness (that's totally a word), Riley starts an anonymous blog and becomes quiet a celebrity in the queer community. Oh, and there's also Bec, the lightsaber-blue eyed girl who loves juice-boxes and...