All writing published for Personal Narrative Competition 2015. See Competition

Published writing

1

Jess (United States) published:

Fairy Lights

PROMPT: Personal Narrative Competition 2015

This is what life is about.

It's about spending time on a home-built porch at 9:29pm when it feels like 11. Looking up and seeing a sky of ink with white splotches and on the left side of your vision, there is the moon. The great sorceress that moves the ocean with the tip of her finger; the under appreciated source of life; your follower on long road trips when you were a child, watching over you, and tonight-- she looks like a toenail. Even...

Stephanie (United States) published:

The Lord's Prayer

They say it must have started in seventh grade. Looking back, it was always there. Crawling around under my skin like cockroaches only now creeping to the surface. It takes over and infects my thoughts. This disease can’t be cured only dealt with, tolerated, watched. Everyday becomes a drugged blur; emotions cannot break through the fog.

Depression. You can’t run from it, you can’t hide from it. Try as you might to feel alive again the minute you feel a...

Cate Eliot (United States) published:

The Hum in Her Head

11

...emily (United States) published:

Second Star to the Right

They kept him hidden under disappointed sighs and thin smiles, banishing him to a half-life when they murmured, “Oh, he’s no one, dear.” Saying it made it true. He was no one, he was nothing, he was spirit fumes and smoke.

They swept him under the rug like startled hostesses, realizing they had forgotten to get rid of offending dirt. With slight curtsies and hasty apologies, they welcomed me as a guest and led me to a seat, trampling his...

1

Jenneth LeeD (United States) published:

The Night the Kamikaze Attacked

I never before thought I would be viciously attacked in my own room by a villainous air-fairing predator the size of my eye's pupil, but I was. The event I divulge to you now is true, no matter how preposterous it may originally appear. It is a warning for other teenage girls who may find themselves facing off against a similar assailant, totally defenseless save for half a can of air freshener.

The moth came silently one warm Wednesday night. I was on...

3
1

Marisol Munoz (United States) published:

Colorful Eyes

White, all I see is white, a plain white piece of canvas. It is dead with no life, just waiting for a spark of hope. I grab soft yet rough brush and dip into pastel red. The smell of acrylic burns through my nostrils, but makes me feel at home as I make one streak here, another one there — a tint of violet there and a shade of jade green here. I step back, gasp, and admire what I’ve done....

Colorful Eyes

Egypt (United States) published:

A Fascinating Obsession

It started when she learned to walk. Only my grandma had some knowledge of what could happen then. We kept the two bathrooms, one in the hallway and, which contained a shower/bath, a toilet and a mirror the size of a smart board, the other one was in my grandma's rooms and it was only two steps away, but it only had a sink and a toilet. My grandma's house is moderately old, so the doors don't really close well, especially...

Raven Salvers (United States) published:

Plunger Boy & The Accidental Dunking

I was there when it happened, when my cousin did something so gross and disgusting it was funny. We were all together. My father’s side of the family was all together in the same house by the sea. The day was clear and calm but the temperature was hot. The house was clean and so were the people inside, or so we thought. Light played across everyone's faces and we were all enjoying different conversations. My aunt Ellen in her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Isobel Williamson (United States) published:

Lapse of Judgment

If you've ever made a lapse in judgement that rippled through the rest of your day, maybe even affected you or someone you know for longer than that, you'll know what I'm talking about. I've made tons of these, but one that stands out in particular started by forgetting to shut the heat vent of my bedroom. 

My family, a right-handed, coffee-drinking, book-loving group of Seattleites, has only ever had hamsters (and a few ill-fated fish) as pets. Last year, Pookie...

1

Kierra White (United States) published:

THE AUDITION

My mom woke me up one morning for what I felt was the biggest day of my life. She made

me a healthy breakfast of eggs, sausage, and a variety of fruits along with a cup of orange juice. After

eating she sent me upstairs to get dressed and prepare myself for the day's events.  I had to audition to

get into what would be the school of my dreams.  For...

1

Ana Lomeli (United States) published:

My Last Day Dream

March 3rd, 2009, it was a day like any other. Like any normal 10 year old girl, there I was, sitting in school daydreaming about going home to play. Little did I know that would be the last time that I would ever day dream about something like that. 5:00pm hit, I was alone in my room, deciding what pair of shoes I should wear to go outside and play. Meanwhile I heard a loud laughter of joy. I quickly dropped my shoes...

Simone (United States) published:

A Lamb Among Sheep

I want to say that I don't quite remember the details, but I do. I remember running, sweat gliding down my back and under my jet-black uniform.

I remember tripping, my foot buckling under the pressure of my accelerating body.

I remember clear and defined thoughts orderly marching through my brain as time slowed, and yet I also remember them dashing ahead on a jet ski before plummeting into the water.

Karate was my way of redirecting spare energy and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Josephine O'Grady (United States) published:

Decisions at Swim Practice

Through my goggles, I can see the wall of the pool getting closer and closer. Taking one last stroke, I turn on my side, kicking hard, and touch the wall; my head still underwater. 

"Good finish, Josie," Coach Janice praises me. 

I nod briskly to my swim coach, but inside I am beaming. Freestyle is my best stroke, and I am told I am a great sprinter, but I hadn't yet been able to finish on my side correctly until now....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Maggie Mills (United States) published:

In Too Deep

Dead!  No.  This can’t be.  It’s like Harry Potter all over again.  Are you kidding me?  Dead!  Three books.  For three books I have been attached to her.  I wanted to be her!  No.  Don’t cry.  DO NOT CRY.  Whoops.  Too late.  Tris Prior.  Gone.  Dead.  No amount of tearful fan-fiction can ever fix this.  

The “Divergent” series captivated me.  It was exciting, fresh, uplifting.  The classic story of how a person like me managed to rise up and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Helen Grant (United Kingdom) published:

Painting

One of the less frequently discussed effects of death and grief is the mandatory overhauling of one’s interior décor.

I am not just referring to the I’m-absolutely-fine-and-look-I’ve-found-some-lovely-tangerine-emulsion-for-the-downstairs-loo phenomenon, although that is indeed a common manifestation of the complaint. It can often be something smaller, like the repositioning of a photograph to the centre of a mantelpiece, or the stuffing of gaudy bouquets into vases and milk jugs.

(Bouquets may of course be sourced from the deceased’s coffin garland - although...

blairtheadventuregirl (United States) published:

Changes

Liberty Street in downtown Charleston is where the heart of last summer was for me. Adventure Girlz was centered in about five of the dorms there right off of King Street, aka the lifeline of Charleston. I distinctly remember one day at the camp when the idea of "Story of Self," was introduced to the group. Basically our life stories were to be written in our journals. I thought for sure me and my sister's  would be the same story of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hadjer (Algeria) published:

Out Hell and into Paradise and I still alive !!!

Who could guess that one day I’ll come to hold changing power inside of me rather than keep waiting the outer world to change for me?

I was an ordinary child in this huge world. I knew something was wrong about our life. The simple life we lived according to circumstances; a life surrounded with many expected fears. I might not have asked myself whether I could be special and live a happy life but I yearned to.

I was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hadjer (Algeria) published:

I was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Takeacake (Jamaica) published:

My Father's Father

I admire my father. I thought he was invincible and unfazed by life challenges. He could do everything I thought was impossible. He could climb trees as tall as a mountain, and move like a seal through water. He beats me at everything from games, sports or trivia. He is talented, and hard-working. He supports his family by working two jobs while balancing time for himself, his family, and friends. But when I grew older, I realized my father...

Seeking Peer Reviews

NandithaRamadurai (United States) published:

Truth be Told

Often, the earliest memories shape the way someone thinks or feels about a particular subject for the rest of their lives. These memories could be as delightful and as simple as the first time you tasted chocolate ice cream and how you never wanted to try anything else- or as traumatizing as the instantaneous fear creeping throughout your body when you need to climb a ladder ever since you fell down when you were five....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Truth be Told

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Emily Farinella-Collinske (United States) published:

All the Same

I have ten fingers and ten toes. I live in a house. I go to school. I spend time with my family. I am normal. My parents have given me everything; a good education, a roof over my head, plenty of experiences to add to my life, I am blessed. However, by saying the words, "I have two moms." We are lesser than and people's thoughts of me change. "How were you born? Are you gay too? Were you adopted?...

1
1

Tanzania Williams (United States) published:

"...We tend to quit"

When I walked into my coach's office I went prepared to quit. I had my speech, my reasons, and any comebacks needed in case I would've felt offended, in my head. My coach, Andres Casson, I believed knew something was wrong from the moment I walked into his office. My teammates and I always walk into his office whenever incase we needed to talk about something, finish some schoolwork, or just gather our thoughts. He was avery understanding person who cared about...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Helen Grant (United Kingdom) published:

Painting

One of the less frequently discussed aspects of death and grief is the mandatory overhauling of one’s interior décor.

I am not just referring to the I’m-absolutely-fine-and-look-I’ve-found-some-lovely-tangerine-emulsion-for-the-downstairs-loophenomenon, although that is indeed a common manifestation of the idea. It can often be something smaller, like the repositioning of a photograph to the centre of a mantelpiece, or the sudden adoption of lots of cheery bunches of flowers around the room. Or maybe they aren’t cheery bunches of flowers at all....

Seeking Peer Reviews