All writing published for Op-Ed Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

D2d9e568 d7b8 4a26 a176 5c11583cfc3c
2
1

Silver Ink (Australia) published:

The Cruel Treatment of Dairy Cows

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

The last time you had a coffee, or a slice of cheese, did you think about the lives that cost you that dairy? The cruelty and devastation that is hidden behind it? Not many people do.

In order to get milk, a cow needs to be pregnant, so farmers keep their dairy cows pregnant all the time. When they give birth, the  calves are separated from their mothers within 24 hours, and all the males are sent to a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Meloni 1718bsm
1
1

Meloni (United States) published:

As a Girl

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

As a girl I’m supposed to be calm and poised,
Delicate and dainty.
I shouldn’t be well built and strong.
I should stand tall with proper posture,
And know how to hold my tongue,
Not talking whenever I please.
I should wear short shorts and skin tight shirts.
I should have push up bras and thongs that ride up my ass.
I should be an artist just so I can wake up every morning and paint a new mask.
I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

lexihoepfl (United States) published:

Comfortable

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

When someone is asked the definition of love, many will describe it as butterflies in one’s stomach or being nervous. Love is such a vague word as there can be many different definitions based on the person asked. There is a hate that I have for people who use this word so frequently because one will somehow believe that they love every significant other that steps into their life. I truly think the reason that people will say they love...

Default avatar user icon
2

malvika (United States) published:

Hong Kong, Where Living in a Pipe Isn’t Absurd

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

The Reality

Fifteen square foot “coffin cubicle” homes. Caged rooms made out of wired mesh. The residents of Lucky House, mostly retirees and the poor, aren’t so blessed after all. This claustrophobic reality is also mirrored for the 7.3 million middle-class families who live in subdivided apartment units at the outskirts, where a single flat is partitioned into four or more — making it a blatant fire hazard. Hong Kong, 
the world’s least affordable city, has a housing...

Picture?width=64&height=64

Najhya Rahman (Bangladesh) published:

abc

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Anguilla 9

Dolphin23 (Australia) published:

Why???

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

I get super annoyed when people think they know something when they don't. When science says something but just because science believes it is right why should we?

We are causing massive impacts on the world and they say we are incredibly smart. If we are so smart how come we can't solve our own problems? Like climate change. we started it and now when trying to find answers we can't. We have caused so many problems and still causing...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

EmilyH (United States) published:

Ending The Gun Crisis In America

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

One person. One gun.
This is all it takes to end a life. Or many lives.
It could happen anywhere. The movie theater. A concert. Your school. One weapon in the wrong hands can turn any place into a nightmare come true.
   Gun control in America is lacking and in need of major updates. Due to loose regulations and background checks that easily leave things to chance, people die because of gun violence every day. Based on the claim by...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

LaRaine168 (United States) published:

It's time for us to save our heroes

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Living in a country like America is said to be the greatest dream imaginable. Where other countries suffer through poverty, dictatorship, war zones, etc. We have truly earned the right to our name the land of the free, However has gaining such a high reputation led us to be imperceptive to our own problems happening right outside our very homes. I could potentially sit here a list the numerous problems we have been blinded to. Please do not misinterpreted this...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

LEAH ONOSATO (United States) published:

I Don't Know Who They Is

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Whispering. I hear whispering behind my back. I angle my body slightly, casually, and, out of the corner of my eye, I can see two of the girls I practice with everyday. The skinny girl that doesn't reach my shoulder is leaning in toward the girl who is pale as dumpling skin. Their mouths are moving in that compact way that people who are trying to be secretive speak with. 

I turn away and grit my teeth. I don't need...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 0536 1
5

izagrace04 (United States) published:

Slave: They Exist Today

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

2000: A 14-year-old girl is lured by her new 'friend', to go on an outing with her. They come back safe and go out the next week. The 'friend' leaves the young girl with a strange man, who says he will take her home. He takes her to his house, claiming he is 'getting his coat'. He returns several hours later drunk. He physically and sexually harms her and forces her to stay with him. He proceeds sells her at...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Sifat Tanim (Bangladesh) published:

POSITIVE MENTALITY

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Look around the surrounding.  You found a variety the variety that gives you to distinguish what you are who you are.. Yesterday i called a taxi and told him to help me to reach my home as i lost my wallet in school..   The middle aged  Taxi driver refused . It made me hurt.  I thought how cruel he was and scolded him in my absent mind.. I started walking ..On the path i noticed another Taxi driver.  He was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Fandoms unite
2
1

Kaartika (United Kingdom) published:

Bystanders

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Violence is a tool of gaining control and power in the society. When people are afraid or simply hungry for authority a common method they use to obtain it is violence. Violence is a deadly thing that makes the assailant feel superior and the victim inferior and helpless. And then there are the bystanders. People who are just there; they exist and witness but they do nothing.

As a secondary school student, I’ve witnessed a few serious cases of bullying...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Melina Rabin (United States) published:

Parents, You Should Be Vaccinating Your Children

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

By now, you may have heard about Ethan Lindenberger.  He is the Ohio teen who chose to get vaccinated against the will of his mother, Jill Wheeler. On March 5, 18-year-old Lindenberger appeared before Congress to speak on the dangers of Americans choosing not to receive medically-recommended vaccines.  There, he claimed that the leading cause of this issue is misinformation. “My mother would turn to anti-vaccine groups online and on social media,” he said, referencing the ever-growing movement of anti-vaxxers...

Default avatar user icon

Alee Stanley (United States) published:

School Hours

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

School Hours 

This has been an issue since day one of going to school. Having to be at school at 7:20, 8:15 or 9:10 is way to early for kids to be able to function. 
    Lets talk about elementary and intermediate school starting early. First of all they can’t drive so they have to have a parent take them or they have to ride the bus. For parents that take their kids to school they have to...

9f8f832912f54615fe003d7f9d7a2eb0

annabanana (Australia) published:

Litter is Trashy

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Littering is not as basic as people perceive it to be. It's not just throwing rubbish and making the ground untidy. 8 million tonnes of plastic alone ends up in the ocean yearly. 8 MILLION tonnes. It pollutes the environment and risks the lives of every specimen on the planet.

Not only does littering promote carelessness for the environment, but cleaning up after it effects the economy. California spends at least 28,0000 dollars on litter every single year, and people...

Default avatar user icon
1

LaRaine168 (United States) published:

It's time for us to save our heroes

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Default avatar user icon

Tawsif (Bangladesh) published:

The Meaning of Kindness

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

I have an ardour for writing stories and participating in different contests. Hence, I habitually type on the computer of the hostel every afternoon.
One ordinary afternoon, I was typing a short story for an international contest on the only computer in the hostel’s office room. I came directly to the office after having lunch and had been typing soundlessly on the rightmost corner of the room. Perhaps for such unobtrusive location of the computer and my sheer quietness, Mrs...

Default avatar user icon
1

Melina Rabin (United States) published:

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

By now, you may have heard about Ethan Lindenberger.  He is the Ohio teen who chose to get vaccinated against the will of his mother, Jill Wheeler. On March 5, 18-year-old Lindenberger appeared before Congress to speak on the dangers of Americans choosing not receive medically-recommended vaccines.  There, he claimed that the leading cause of this issue is misinformation. “My mother would turn to anti-vaccine groups online and on social media,” he said, referencing the ever-growing movement of anti-vaxxers who...

Default avatar user icon
2

Rolling stone (Australia) published:

Water is not WET

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Water is not moist. Water is not damp. Water is not wet. Water is the compound of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, it is a liquid and is easily boiled and frozen, at 100 degrees Celsius and 0 degrees celcius respectively. To be wet means to be covered or saturated in water or another liquid, water cannot saturate itself, because when you try to cover or saturate water in water, it just makes more water.
I tested if...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

thechosenonemico (Philippines) published:

Shaping The Truth

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

“Kidnapping is not bad if the victim was not hurt.”

A glaringly ridiculous statement superimposed with the photograph of Philippine opposition senator Risa Hontiveros made rounds in Facebook two weeks ago. The statement is an obvious hoax, and one would expect it to be met with indifferent shrugs and dismissal, but in just a matter of hours the fake quote card posted by the Facebook page Pres. Rody Duterte Worldwide Supportersamassed at least 1.3 million reaches and over 32,200...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Rose
1

clobajo (Australia) published:

Abortion- Abrutal Choice

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Let's talk abortion.

Abortion as I'm sure you are aware of, is a widely known issue prominent in many countries. It is the personal choice to make such a heart-wrenching solution. There are many people that campaign for both sides of abortion. Pro-choice and Pro-life.
However, in the end, who is it to take the woman's rights away? The right of choosing a hard decision.

For generations we've fought tooth and nail for women's rights. Whether it's politically or perhaps being able to work a well-paid job...

Default avatar user icon

Angelina Tanner (United States) published:

Judicial Activism

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

In 1789 the United States Supreme Court was established. Some people may not know what the Supreme Court does. They have the final say on all laws passed by Congress and they can tell the President that his actions are not allowed by the Constitution. For the more than 230 years the Judicial Branch has been around, Judicial Activism was never an established idea. Now you may be wondering, what is Judicial Activism? It is when judges create a law...

Img 3698

alexegan (United States) published:

Hail Hail Siege!

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

There is one thing I would like to write about. I want to thank two people in my life who have took me in and gave me many opportunities. There names are Luke DeDeus and Jon Langlois. They are the coaches of Boston Siege FC and this is how we met.
    Basically, I was on a shit team called Global Premier Soccer. They charged me $3000 for low quality football trainings and games. My family and I needed...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Elaina Sung (United States) published:

The Problem in Our Subs

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Subs.

At first glance, they may seem unimportant. One of the few boring surprises that happen once in a while. For a few kids, they’re someone to fool around with. Hey, look a sub! Let’s get our phones out. If the sub asks, just tell them the teacher always lets us!

Classrooms in middle and high school around the whole of America have been and still will be lectured numerous  times on how to behave when a sub is teaching....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Charley Sung (United States) published:

The True Point of Holidays

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Just days ago, people were determined to wear green and avoid getting pinched on St. Patrick’s Day. Tacky items were displayed at storefronts and sales of Irish alcohol went up. What are we honoring?  I assure you, it’s not to celebrate the leprechaun although that seems to be the case. Its actual purpose is to celebrate an Irish saint named St. Patrick. There is a reason why it’s not called Leprechaun's Day.
        Valentine’s Day is no exception to this pandemonium....

Seeking Peer Reviews