All writing published for Op-Ed Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Default avatar user icon

EmilyH (United States) published:

Ending The Gun Crisis In America

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

One person. One gun.
This is all it takes to end a life. Or many lives.
It could happen anywhere. The movie theater. A concert. Your school. One weapon in the wrong hands can turn any place into a nightmare come true.
   Gun control in America is lacking and in need of major updates. Due to loose regulations and background checks that easily leave things to chance, people die because of gun violence every day. Based on the claim by...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

LaRaine168 (United States) published:

It's time for us to save our heroes

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Living in a country like America is said to be the greatest dream imaginable. Where other countries suffer through poverty, dictatorship, war zones, etc. We have truly earned the right to our name the land of the free, However has gaining such a high reputation led us to be imperceptive to our own problems happening right outside our very homes. I could potentially sit here a list the numerous problems we have been blinded to. Please do not misinterpreted this...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Chaesoo 1

Elia Rose (Singapore) published:

United in the face of crisis

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

“United in the face of crisis”
Is what they say
But why does it take a crisis to make us united?
“It’s not if but when”
Is what they say
But really, are crisis really inevitable?
Take a look around
Who are the ones creating havoc?
If we had stayed connected from the very start
Stayed understanding of our differences
We could have avoided the greatest tragedy of all
The need to awaken humanity.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

LEAH ONOSATO (United States) published:

I Don't Know Who They Is

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Whispering. I hear whispering behind my back. I angle my body slightly, casually, and, out of the corner of my eye, I can see two of the girls I practice with everyday. The skinny girl that doesn't reach my shoulder is leaning in toward the girl who is pale as dumpling skin. Their mouths are moving in that compact way that people who are trying to be secretive speak with. 

I turn away and grit my teeth. I don't need...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 0536 1
3

izagrace04 (United States) published:

Slave: They Exist Today

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

2000: A 14-year-old girl is lured by her new 'friend', to go on an outing with her. They come back safe and go out the next week. The 'friend' leaves the young girl with a strange man, who says he will take her home. He takes her to his house, claiming he is 'getting his coat'. He returns several hours later drunk. He physically and sexually harms her and forces her to stay with him. He proceeds sells her at...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Sifat Tanim (Bangladesh) published:

POSITIVE MENTALITY

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Look around the surrounding.  You found a variety the variety that gives you to distinguish what you are who you are.. Yesterday i called a taxi and told him to help me to reach my home as i lost my wallet in school..   The middle aged  Taxi driver refused . It made me hurt.  I thought how cruel he was and scolded him in my absent mind.. I started walking ..On the path i noticed another Taxi driver.  He was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Fandoms unite
1
1

Kaartika (United Kingdom) published:

Bystanders

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Violence is a tool of gaining control and power in the society. When people are afraid or simply hungry for authority a common method they use to obtain it is violence. Violence is a deadly thing that makes the assailant feel superior and the victim inferior and helpless. And then there are the bystanders. People who are just there; they exist and witness but they do nothing.

As a secondary school student, I’ve witnessed a few serious cases of bullying...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Melina Rabin (United States) published:

Parents, You Should Be Vaccinating Your Children

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

By now, you may have heard about Ethan Lindenberger.  He is the Ohio teen who chose to get vaccinated against the will of his mother, Jill Wheeler. On March 5, 18-year-old Lindenberger appeared before Congress to speak on the dangers of Americans choosing not to receive medically-recommended vaccines.  There, he claimed that the leading cause of this issue is misinformation. “My mother would turn to anti-vaccine groups online and on social media,” he said, referencing the ever-growing movement of anti-vaxxers...

Default avatar user icon

Alee Stanley (United States) published:

School Hours

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

School Hours 

This has been an issue since day one of going to school. Having to be at school at 7:20, 8:15 or 9:10 is way to early for kids to be able to function. 
    Lets talk about elementary and intermediate school starting early. First of all they can’t drive so they have to have a parent take them or they have to ride the bus. For parents that take their kids to school they have to...

9f8f832912f54615fe003d7f9d7a2eb0

annabanana (Australia) published:

Litter is Trashy

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Littering is not as basic as people perceive it to be. It's not just throwing rubbish and making the ground untidy. 8 million tonnes of plastic alone ends up in the ocean yearly. 8 MILLION tonnes. It pollutes the environment and risks the lives of every specimen on the planet.

Not only does littering promote carelessness for the environment, but cleaning up after it effects the economy. California spends at least 28,0000 dollars on litter every single year, and people...

Default avatar user icon
1

LaRaine168 (United States) published:

It's time for us to save our heroes

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Default avatar user icon

Tawsif (Bangladesh) published:

The Meaning of Kindness

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

I have an ardour for writing stories and participating in different contests. Hence, I habitually type on the computer of the hostel every afternoon.
One ordinary afternoon, I was typing a short story for an international contest on the only computer in the hostel’s office room. I came directly to the office after having lunch and had been typing soundlessly on the rightmost corner of the room. Perhaps for such unobtrusive location of the computer and my sheer quietness, Mrs...

3   sleepswim  depth
1

Andrea Liao (United States) published:

A Book For Every Child, A Story For Every Student

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Throughout my childhood, I have always been able to find solace in my favorite literary worlds and characters. Raised between the pages of my favorite books, I cannot imagine growing up in a world without the comfort of holding a book in my hands. I am a passionate advocate for youth literacy, and it is my belief that every child should grow up in an environment where there is ample access to reading resources. 

I began to put together the plans for...

Default avatar user icon
1

Melina Rabin (United States) published:

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

By now, you may have heard about Ethan Lindenberger.  He is the Ohio teen who chose to get vaccinated against the will of his mother, Jill Wheeler. On March 5, 18-year-old Lindenberger appeared before Congress to speak on the dangers of Americans choosing not receive medically-recommended vaccines.  There, he claimed that the leading cause of this issue is misinformation. “My mother would turn to anti-vaccine groups online and on social media,” he said, referencing the ever-growing movement of anti-vaxxers who...

Dsc 0128

veejericaodd (Philippines) published:

Politicians and Policemen: The Enforcers Behind Injustice

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Mother Justice is blind not because she's impartial. She is blind because all she see is money.

I always believed that justice would prevail in the end, that regardless of your financial status, the eyes of law would not fail at seeing the truth. Politicians might be corrupt, but you can always trust the enforcers of justice—the policemen—to do their duties on behalf of a nation.

But my time as an intern on the Parole and Probation office (PPO) at...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
2

Rolling stone (Australia) published:

Water is not WET

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Water is not moist. Water is not damp. Water is not wet. Water is the compound of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, it is a liquid and is easily boiled and frozen, at 100 degrees Celsius and 0 degrees celcius respectively. To be wet means to be covered or saturated in water or another liquid, water cannot saturate itself, because when you try to cover or saturate water in water, it just makes more water.
I tested if...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

thechosenonemico (Philippines) published:

Shaping The Truth

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

“Kidnapping is not bad if the victim was not hurt.”

A glaringly ridiculous statement superimposed with the photograph of Philippine opposition senator Risa Hontiveros made rounds in Facebook two weeks ago. The statement is an obvious hoax, and one would expect it to be met with indifferent shrugs and dismissal, but in just a matter of hours the fake quote card posted by the Facebook page Pres. Rody Duterte Worldwide Supportersamassed at least 1.3 million reaches and over 32,200...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

clobajo (Australia) published:

Abortion- Abrutal Choice

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Let's talk abortion.

Abortion as I'm sure you are aware of, is a widely known issue prominent in many countries. It is the personal choice to make such a heart-wrenching solution. There are many people that campaign for both sides of abortion. Pro-choice and Pro-life.
However, in the end, who is it to take the woman's rights away? The right of choosing a hard decision.

For generations we've fought tooth and nail for women's rights. Whether it's politically or perhaps being able to work a well-paid job...

Default avatar user icon

Angelina Tanner (United States) published:

Judicial Activism

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

In 1789 the United States Supreme Court was established. Some people may not know what the Supreme Court does. They have the final say on all laws passed by Congress and they can tell the President that his actions are not allowed by the Constitution. For the more than 230 years the Judicial Branch has been around, Judicial Activism was never an established idea. Now you may be wondering, what is Judicial Activism? It is when judges create a law...

Img 3698

alexegan (United States) published:

Hail Hail Siege!

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

There is one thing I would like to write about. I want to thank two people in my life who have took me in and gave me many opportunities. There names are Luke DeDeus and Jon Langlois. They are the coaches of Boston Siege FC and this is how we met.
    Basically, I was on a shit team called Global Premier Soccer. They charged me $3000 for low quality football trainings and games. My family and I needed...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Elaina Sung (United States) published:

The Problem in Our Subs

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Subs.

At first glance, they may seem unimportant. One of the few boring surprises that happen once in a while. For a few kids, they’re someone to fool around with. Hey, look a sub! Let’s get our phones out. If the sub asks, just tell them the teacher always lets us!

Classrooms in middle and high school around the whole of America have been and still will be lectured numerous  times on how to behave when a sub is teaching....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Charley Sung (United States) published:

The True Point of Holidays

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Just days ago, people were determined to wear green and avoid getting pinched on St. Patrick’s Day. Tacky items were displayed at storefronts and sales of Irish alcohol went up. What are we honoring?  I assure you, it’s not to celebrate the leprechaun although that seems to be the case. Its actual purpose is to celebrate an Irish saint named St. Patrick. There is a reason why it’s not called Leprechaun's Day.
        Valentine’s Day is no exception to this pandemonium....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
2

Danielle Amir-Lobel (United States) published:

Coding Bodies

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

One hot California day, I was walking to my AP Spanish class, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. My midday class was on the upper level of the school. Little did I know that stairs would present an opportunity for male administrators to look at me from behind and below. Only after I was seated in my classroom did the dean of students himself called me out. Apparently, he had watched me ascend the entirety of the stairs, contemplated the “appropriateness”...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Emilio Cabral (United States) published:

You are more than a number

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

When I was five, I wanted to be a farmer. When I was ten, I wanted to be a lawyer. Now at age sixteen, I aspire to be a number: a 4.0 to be exact. Unfortunately, I’m not alone. High school students everywhere are defining themselves by a number. And that number ladies and gentlemen is their Grade Point Average. In our world full of conflict, this obsession overshadows wars, political scandal, and domestic violence. According to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

ALISMEYDIS BIDO (United States) published:

An Open Letter To People: Who Assume Other’s Genders

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2019

Dear people Who Continuously Assume Other’s Genders,

The human civilization has come as far to be in the 21st century where many people do not identify as a boy or a girl anymore, meaning that some are gender neutral which means they are neither a boy or a girl. As a person who observes a lot I have noticed that in many fast food restaurants the question “Would you like a girl’s or boy’s toy?” will come up over and...