All writing published for Book Review Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

3

Tyranni (Canada) published:

The Young Elites Trilogy Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

‘Some hate us, think us outlaws to hang at the gallows. Some fear us think us demons to burn at the stake. Some worship us, think us children of the gods, but all know us.’

The Young Elites is a YA fantasy series written by Marie Lu, the author of the bestselling Legend trilogy. The series has three books: The Young Elites, The Rose Society and the Midnight Star. Published from 2014 to 2015, the series was critically acclaimed...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Bourne (United States) published:

The Day My Life Changed

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Chapter 1
    “Please stay in your house. This is not a test. Just do exactly what you are told.” I stared at the TV in interest as I ate my eggs and bacon. After another few minutes, I called my boss, telling him that I would be unable to make it to work because my neighborhood was on lockdown. “Uhu, sure Jack. Nice try.” “Look Mr. Corgea, I will send you a picture.”
    Hanging up, I pulled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Trees, man, trees (United States) published:

Dear Evan Hansen

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"It's better to burn out, right, than to fade away." Dear Evan Hansen, a novel written along side the award winning musical Dear Evan Hansen was written by Val Emmich, Benj Pasek, Justin Paul, and Steven Levenson. This novel heavily alludes to messages such as suicide and depression, resulting in a slightly older demographic, comprised mostly of young teens. Despite its sometimes crude language and depressing display, Dear Evan Hansen is for young teens trying to discover their place in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

RedWriter (United States) published:

The Halls of Redwall

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

When you find a book, it's usually in a book store, in a library, or over the screen of your phone or tablet. Not sitting as a new Christmas gift in your brother's room. But you see, that is what happened for me. Something drew me to a book with a mouse holding a sword and shield. Matthias the mouse, pictured over a scene of animals on a wall looking down on an army of rats, caught my eye. I asked...

Seeking Peer Reviews

hannahismusical (United States) published:

Living With The Shadows

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The space beyond my momma’s porch lights on frosted, wintery nights can be dark and foreboding. Shadows creep in the corners of my home town where sunlight never stretches to. Yet, there are shadows in the mind as well, the type of shadows that alter how you view the world, giving everywhere warm and fuzzy a dulled shine. These mental shadows caused by illnesses such as depression don’t need to be devastating to those living with it. It is in...
Seeking Peer Reviews

EAurora (United Kingdom) published:

'The Weather in Kansas' - Crista Ermiya

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Weather in Kansas is a collection of short stories, but it’s more than that. It’s a pattern of lives, an explosion of tales from the very edges of the world. Through her bold, fascinating characters and their vast expanse of lives and loves, Crista Ermiya is able to truthfully bring the whole world – the joyous and the lonely, the mundane and the fantastical, the real and the imaginary – into dizzying perspective.

I’ll admit, starting the book...

Seeking Peer Reviews

HolisticDetective (United States) published:

Simply by Hitchhiking (A Book Review of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Once upon a time, according to Neil Gaiman's forward to The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a tall, funny guy named Douglas Adams was born. Once upon a time, according to the guy Douglas Adams himself's forward to that same book, this guy Douglas Adams was lying drunk in a field after several encounters with deaf people. He was lying in that field, clutching a borrowed copy of the Hitch Hiker's Guide to Europe, when it suddenly struck him...

1
1

WritingDragon (United States) published:

The Giver

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever wanted to be completely absorbed into a book? So much so that by the time you finish reading it you remember everything and nothing all at once? Ever wanted to allow a story to unfold before your eyes and all at once understand it, only to set it down and lose almost everything at once? Loose every memory of the events, the charters the place as your mind fills with vivid yet colorless pictures trying to recapture...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

MarianaG (United States) published:

The Body

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them.”
    The inevitable transition from childhood to adulthood happens in different manifestations for every person. For some, maturity arrives with high school, moving to a new city, the loss of a loved one, or the realization that parents aren’t perfect. For others, the journey of growing up comes with an adventure in look for a corpse.
    With a peculiar...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

starry eyed (United States) published:

The Book Thief: Words that display just how powerful words themselves truly are

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

For as long as I can remember, books have always encaptured me, and are my very own plane ticket and time machine, depending on what I choose from the lengthy library shelves that particular day. By reading literature, I could experience anything from life on Venus, to Ancient Rome, each providing me with knowledge of life. Yet, some books manage to pull me in even deeper, making me feel emotions I had no prior knowledge of. One book, however, has...

Seeking Peer Reviews

justtolovenbeloved (Vietnam) published:

WHEN BREATH BECOMES AIR

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“ When I was diagnosed with an incurable disease in my body, I began to see the world through two prisms; I started to see death in both the role of doctor and patient. ”
-Paul Kalanithi
Every book when ends, leave the readers with different emotions and thoughts. "When breath becomes air" of Paul Kalanithi is a book which realistically depicts life and death, the pain of cancer disease, we realize that Paul left a meaningful gift for those...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
2

AudienceOfOne (United States) published:

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys; Bringing Tears to My Eyes

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Four characters. One brutal war. Each one is fighting for his or her own life as the second world war rages on. Emilia is just a young Polish girl, who is embraced with much more responsibility than her own life, but with one growing inside of her. Joana is an aspiring nurse, and takes Emilia under her wing, but when she meets a wounded man out on her journey, she is confused to where her feelings are taking her. Florian...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Xavier Nelson (United States) published:

The Bluest Eye Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I read the book The Bluest Eye in my 9th grade English class, which, in turn, scarred me for life. Partly because to me the book was too relatable and very disturbing. It was as if the book was an oracle who was able to perfectly predict the downfall of Xavier Nelson. Despite all the scarring, I am pleased to say that my school curriculum has given me my favorite book of all time.

Toni Morrison is a genius (I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

LyraLynne (United States) published:

Humanity's Light: A Review of A Monster Calls

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The imperfections of humanity are what give us our strength. The struggles we face and the wars we fight only cause us to rise, despite the impending inevitability of oblivion. It is only too truthful, though, to say that we grow from each other, and being lonely is one of our greatest weaknesses. Even if we think we long for solidarity, and push the world away, it takes a part of our soul that can only be filled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

lindz_the_nerd (United States) published:

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
“If love is like a possession, maybe my letters are like my exorcisms” 
    What would you do if intimate love letters to your crushes, which you nevermeant to mail, were sent out? Lara Jean Song Covey has loved five boys, all of which she wrote letters to, but they weren't meant to be mailed. Until they were. Suddenly, Lara Jean is forced to face her feelings for...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Chirayuwriter (India) published:

"Book" (Journey Never Ends).

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"Book" (Journey Never Ends).
Searching for words
Finding in lines
Endless quest in the pages
Has came to an end
One day
Where 
I came to know that we met the first time, 
we had great memories and later on, we started living in each other and
learning each other's life. 
we came to that point to turn away back to which
 we have written for our love of life,
 I want to read it again
To get back to...

1

katherine k (United States) published:

Unapologetic Honesty and Modern Femininity in "The Dud Avocado"

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I had lived my entire life thinking I was the only person whose thoughts and interior monologues were not directly parallel to what I said out loud. Despite the narcissism in this sentiment, it hit me as a torturous responsibility to feel completely isolated in having a multifaceted thought process. This rang true until the summer of 2018, when for the first time, I read Elaine Dundy’s The Dud Avocado. While this book holds great personal value to me, I would...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

The Giver

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

Living My Life Through Writing (United States) published:

Salt To The Sea

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Salt to the Sea
By Ruta Sepetys
Historical Fiction
Teens: (13-18)

A book can change the way people think, see things and even live. There are thousands of books and everyone asks me how I specifically chose one.   
    When you find a book that changes your life, it is an amazing feeling. The book that changed my life is Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. 
    The book is based in World War 2...
Seeking Peer Reviews

BlakeGoodman (United States) published:

Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

BOOK REVIEW:

42 is not just a number by Doreen Rappaport 
is my favorite book of all time. I would suggest this amazing book to anyone that likes sport books or anyone that wants to know about the history of baseball back in the day. Also if you like this amazing book i would watch the movie called 42. 42 is not just a number is a book that is in the settings of the old days when people were...

1

Dhwani1 (India) published:

A Thousand Splendid Suns: Stunning and heartbreaking.

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

A Thousand Splendid Suns
By Khaled Hosseini. 

The title of the novel, was inspired by a beautiful poem composed by Saeb-e-Tabrizi a seventeenth century Persian poet. The novel too moves in a sad poetic way.  
Khaled took us at a journey through the history of a wounded country. How a country of nature,  artist and tolerance turned into a hell on earth, unlike other war based novels This one's center are two women. Mariam and Laila, the difference in their...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Salt To The Sea

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The book is based in World War 2 times and changed the way I thought about it. I knew,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Salt To The Sea

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

Bethia Maria (Canada) published:

The Scorpio Races

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Scorpio Races
By Maggie Stiefvater
Modern Fantasy
Senior Teens: (ages 15-19)

On the island of Thisby, November is the month of the Scorpio races: the month where the deadly water horses are captured from the sea, the month where racers gamble their lives and tourists flock to watch, the month that both Sean Kendrick and Puck Connolly risk everything. Told from their two perspectives in alternating chapters, this story presents a fascinating blend of magical fantasy and modern...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Salt To The Sea

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews