All writing published for Book Review Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Natalie Fleshman (United States of America)() published:

Chaser Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever wondered if your dog really understands you when you say something like, “Wanna go on a walk?” or, “Do you want a treat?”. I found myself in the same realm as you. I thought about my own three dogs quite a bit. Could they really understand me? How would they learn to do so? Body language, perhaps, but there are many other things dogs notice about us, too.
    I had read many other canine cognition books, but...

Seeking Peer Reviews

star517 (United States of America)() published:

Hunger Games Catching Fire Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Book Review
Hunger Games Catching Fire 

Have you ever wondered what our world would have been like if America had revolted against the government? In my opinion the outcome would be terrible and terrifying. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire By: Suzanne Collins is an adventure and science fiction book, along with a dystopia genre. This book is the second in the Hunger Games series and gives a very vivid description of what life would be like.
            This is...

charleegirl06 (United States of America)() published:

ANALYZING UGLIES

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Charlotte Gilreath
Title: Uglies
Genre: Science Fiction/ Young Adult/ Fantasy/ and Dystopian
Author: Scott Westerfield
    This book is about a young ugly, Tally, who is looked down upon by her society. She is cast into a category that she has no control over. She anxiously awaits the day when she becomes pretty, when she will have a purpose, her 16th birthday. However, weeks before her 16th birthday something happens that will change her forever.

The day Tally met Shay was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

@PRANAVI_09eri (India)() published:

All The Light We Cannot See

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“The brain is locked in total darkness, of course, children. It floats in a clear liquid inside the skull, never in the light. And yet the world it constructs in the mind is full of light. It brims with colour and movement. So how, children, does the brain, which lives without a spark of light, build for us a world full of light?”  

Authored by Anthony Doerr, All The Light We Cannot Seeis a tale set in...

2

bethdear_ (Australia)() published:

The Darkest Minds, Alexandra Bracken.

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Ruby. Ruby Daly. Daughter. Stranger. Child. Freak. Friend. Enemy. Green. Invisible. Special. Dangerous. Monster. Orange. Ruby had been numerous things in her life but many more were about to join that list. After America got hit with a disease, IAAN, that wiped out 98% of their kids, the outcasts that were left were different. The 2% were; Green- enhanced intelligence, Blue- move objects with their mind, Yellow- electricity, Red- fire, Orange-mind control. Ruby could control minds, she was one...

Seeking Peer Reviews

LyraLynne (United States of America)() published:

Humanity's Light: A Review of A Monster Calls

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The imperfections of humanity are what give us our strength. The struggles we face and the wars we fight only cause us to rise, despite the impending inevitability of oblivion. It is only too truthful, though, to say that we grow from each other, and being lonely is one of our greatest weaknesses. Even if we think we long for solidarity, and push the world away, it takes a part of our soul that can only be filled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

zodiethegreat (Indonesia)() published:

Totto-chan: The Little Girl at the Window

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

We all wish we had a childhood as carefree as Totto-chan’s. In the midst of what adults would call misery, doe-eyed Totto-chan runs, runs, moving her small feet quickly and hums a happy tune in her head, all the while her long hair flies in the wind.

Totto-chan: The Little Girl at the Windowis a memoir written by one of Japan’s most famous actress and TV personality in her time, Tetsuko Kuroyanagi. The book tells the tale of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Kai Sanchez (Philippines)() published:

Smaller and Smaller Circles

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Crime, it is something that never seems to go away. It is something we face everyday, and despite the fact that hundreds of people are fighting against, it never seems to dwindle down. Two priests, Father Augusto Saenz and his young protégé and friend, Father Jerome Lucero, battle the eternal struggle between crime and justice in F.H. Bacatan’s novel, “Smaller and Smaller Circles.” In her crime novel, F.H. Bacatan immerses us in a world where the focal point...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

RedWriter (United States of America)() published:

The Halls of Redwall

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

When you find a book, it's usually in a book store, in a library, or over the screen of your phone or tablet. Not sitting as a new Christmas gift in your brother's room. But you see, that is what happened for me. Something drew me to a book with a mouse holding a sword and shield. Matthias the mouse, pictured over a scene of animals on a wall looking down on an army of rats, caught my eye. I asked...

Seeking Peer Reviews

AudienceOfOne (United States of America)() published:

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys; Bringing Tears to My Eyes

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Four characters. One brutal war. Each one is fighting for his or her own life as the second world battle rages on. Emilia is just a young Polish girl, who is embraced with much more responsibility than her own life, but with one growing inside of her. Joana is an aspiring nurse, and takes Emilia under her wing, but when she meets a wounded man out on her journey, she is confused to where her feelings are taking her. Florian...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Tyranni (Canada)() published:

The Young Elites Trilogy Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

‘Some hate us, think us outlaws to hang at the gallows. Some fear us think us demons to burn at the stake. Some worship us, think us children of the gods, but all know us.’

The Young Elites is a YA fantasy series written by Marie Lu, the author of the bestselling Legend trilogy. The series has three books: The Young Elites, The Rose Society and the Midnight Star. Published from 2014 to 2015, the series was critically acclaimed...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Bourne (United States of America)() published:

The Day My Life Changed

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Chapter 1
    “Please stay in your house. This is not a test. Just do exactly what you are told.” I stared at the TV in interest as I ate my eggs and bacon. After another few minutes, I called my boss, telling him that I would be unable to make it to work because my neighborhood was on lockdown. “Uhu, sure Jack. Nice try.” “Look Mr. Corgea, I will send you a picture.”
    Hanging up, I pulled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Trees, man, trees (United States of America)() published:

Dear Evan Hansen

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"It's better to burn out, right, than to fade away." Dear Evan Hansen, a novel written along side the award winning musical Dear Evan Hansen was written by Val Emmich, Benj Pasek, Justin Paul, and Steven Levenson. This novel heavily alludes to messages such as suicide and depression, resulting in a slightly older demographic, comprised mostly of young teens. Despite its sometimes crude language and depressing display, Dear Evan Hansen is for young teens trying to discover their place in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

The Halls of Redwall

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

hannahismusical (United States of America)() published:

Living With The Shadows

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The space beyond my momma’s porch lights on frosted, wintery nights can be dark and foreboding. Shadows creep in the corners of my home town where sunlight never stretches to. Yet, there are shadows in the mind as well, the type of shadows that alter how you view the world, giving everywhere warm and fuzzy a dulled shine. These mental shadows caused by illnesses such as depression don’t need to be devastating to those living with it. It is in...
Seeking Peer Reviews

EAurora (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() published:

'The Weather in Kansas' - Crista Ermiya

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Weather in Kansas is a collection of short stories, but it’s more than that. It’s a pattern of lives, an explosion of tales from the very edges of the world. Through her bold, fascinating characters and their vast expanse of lives and loves, Crista Ermiya is able to truthfully bring the whole world – the joyous and the lonely, the mundane and the fantastical, the real and the imaginary – into dizzying perspective.

I’ll admit, starting the book...

Seeking Peer Reviews

HolisticDetective (United States of America)() published:

Simply by Hitchhiking (A Book Review of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Once upon a time, according to Neil Gaiman's forward to The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a tall, funny guy named Douglas Adams was born. Once upon a time, according to the guy Douglas Adams himself's forward to that same book, this guy Douglas Adams was lying drunk in a field after several encounters with deaf people. He was lying in that field, clutching a borrowed copy of the Hitch Hiker's Guide to Europe, when it suddenly struck him...

1
1

WritingDragon (United States of America)() published:

The Giver

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever wanted to be completely absorbed into a book? So much so that by the time you finish reading it you remember everything and nothing all at once? Ever wanted to allow a story to unfold before your eyes and all at once understand it, only to set it down and lose almost everything at once? Loose every memory of the events, the charters the place as your mind fills with vivid yet colorless pictures trying to recapture...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

MarianaG (United States of America)() published:

The Body

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them.”
    The inevitable transition from childhood to adulthood happens in different manifestations for every person. For some, maturity arrives with high school, moving to a new city, the loss of a loved one, or the realization that parents aren’t perfect. For others, the journey of growing up comes with an adventure in look for a corpse.
    With a peculiar...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

starry eyed (United States of America)() published:

The Book Thief: Words that display just how powerful words themselves truly are

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

For as long as I can remember, books have always encaptured me, and are my very own plane ticket and time machine, depending on what I choose from the lengthy library shelves that particular day. By reading literature, I could experience anything from life on Venus, to Ancient Rome, each providing me with knowledge of life. Yet, some books manage to pull me in even deeper, making me feel emotions I had no prior knowledge of. One book, however, has...

Seeking Peer Reviews

justtolovenbeloved (Viet Nam)() published:

WHEN BREATH BECOMES AIR

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“ When I was diagnosed with an incurable disease in my body, I began to see the world through two prisms; I started to see death in both the role of doctor and patient. ”
-Paul Kalanithi
Every book when ends, leave the readers with different emotions and thoughts. "When breath becomes air" of Paul Kalanithi is a book which realistically depicts life and death, the pain of cancer disease, we realize that Paul left a meaningful gift for those...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
2

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Four characters. One brutal war. Each one is fighting for his or her own life as the second world war rages on. Emilia is just a young Polish girl, who is embraced with much more responsibility than her own life, but with one growing inside of her. Joana is an aspiring nurse, and takes Emilia under her wing, but when she meets a wounded man out on her journey, she is confused to where her feelings are taking her. Florian...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Xavier Nelson (United States of America)() published:

The Bluest Eye Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I read the book The Bluest Eye in my 9th grade English class, which, in turn, scarred me for life. Partly because to me the book was too relatable and very disturbing. It was as if the book was an oracle who was able to perfectly predict the downfall of Xavier Nelson. Despite all the scarring, I am pleased to say that my school curriculum has given me my favorite book of all time.

Toni Morrison is a genius (I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

lindz_the_nerd (United States of America)() published:

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
“If love is like a possession, maybe my letters are like my exorcisms” 
    What would you do if intimate love letters to your crushes, which you nevermeant to mail, were sent out? Lara Jean Song Covey has loved five boys, all of which she wrote letters to, but they weren't meant to be mailed. Until they were. Suddenly, Lara Jean is forced to face her feelings for...
Seeking Peer Reviews