All writing published for Book Review Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

2

Cath (United States of America)() published:

The Ruins of Gorlan

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Ruins of Gorlan  
By: John Flanagan
Fantasy/Adventure

Do you like books that are full of adventure? This book is the first book in the Rangers Apprentice series. It is a book filled with humor and adventures! This book is very good because it has a good plot, is a very captivating read, and has relatable, well developed characters.
    This story is centered around Will, a 15 year old orphan. He is about to have to choose what...

Seeking Peer Reviews

AudienceOfOne (United States of America)() published:

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys; Bringing Tears to My Eyes

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Four characters. One brutal war. Each one is fighting for his or her own life as the second world battle rages on. Emilia is just a young Polish girl, who has to embrace the responsibility not only for her own life but also for the one growing inside her. Joana is an aspiring nurse, and takes Emilia under her wing, but when she meets a wounded man out on her journey, his compelling rebellious nature takes her feelings on a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Claraaa (United States of America)() published:

Water for Elephants- A Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Following the risky and slightly perilous days of Jacob Jankowski during his time working as a circus vet tech in America's Depression, Sara Gruen introduces us to a world of eccentricities, close calls, and a forbidden romance that keeps reader's turning pages. This book is as wild and as much of an unparalleled experience as a circus itself, with its timelessness and notably unique characters. Gruen goes about her double narrative of young Jacob, trying to make it as a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

charleegirl06 (United States of America)() published:

ANALYZING UGLIES

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Title: Uglies
Genre: Science Fiction/ Young Adult/ Fantasy/ and Dystopian
Author: Scott Westerfield

This book is about a young ugly, Tally, who is looked down upon by her society. She is cast into a category that she has no control over. She anxiously awaits the day when she becomes pretty, when she will have a purpose, her 16th birthday. However, weeks before her 16th birthday something happens that will change her forever...

There are four main characters in this...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

PerspicaciousMcNugget (United States of America)() published:

Leviathan, A Story Worth Reading

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Author: Scott Westerfeld    Genre: Steampunk/Biopunk/Alternate History    

In this world, you’re either a Clanker, a Darwinist, or a combination of both. I’m not talking about our world as you can probably infer, but of the world of “Leviathan,” where fabricated Darwinist beasts and Clanker machines have been present for quite some time. An alternate history of the world, “Leviathan” takes place in the first few months of World War I, where the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand (by Serbians...
Seeking Peer Reviews

rowangalathynius (New Zealand)() published:

Twisted by Steve Cavanagh

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

In Steve Cavanagh’s latest hit, Twisted, he experiments even further with outrageous plot ideas. A book inside a book (inside a book), there is no telling the difference between truth and fiction on the lines of these pages. Some characters are portrayed the way they want to be seen, while others are introduced in a different light, manipulated by the view of the book’s mysterious author J.T. LeBeau. Although this book does not feature the beloved Eddie Flynn from other...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

LyraLynne (United States of America)() published:

Humanity's Light: A Review of A Monster Calls

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The imperfections of humanity are what give us our strength. The struggles we face and the wars we fight only cause us to rise, despite the impending inevitability of oblivion. It is only too truthful, though, to say that we grow from each other, and being lonely is one of our greatest weaknesses. Even if we think we long for solidarity, and push the world away, it takes a part of our soul that can only be filled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

ToxicAvenger362 (United States of America)() published:

Crank Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever wondered how drugs can destroy your home and family? They are very bad for your health and can tear families apart. The book Crank by Ellen Hopkins is an amazing book that tells a true story about how a young girl got addicted to Methamphetamines also known as meth, crystal meth, and crank. Meth is a powerful addictive stimulant that can be smoked, snorted, eaten, or injected.
Kristina was the girls name, her other side being Bree....

Seeking Peer Reviews

bethdear_ (Australia)() published:

The Darkest Minds, Alexandra Bracken.

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Ruby. Ruby Daly. Daughter. Stranger. Child. Freak. Friend. Enemy. Green. Invisible. Special. Dangerous. Monster. Orange. Ruby had been numerous things in her life but many more were about to join that list. After America got hit with a disease, IAAN, that wiped out 98% of their kids, the outcasts that were left were different. The 2% were; Green- enhanced intelligence, Blue- move objects with their mind, Yellow- electricity, Red- fire, Orange-mind control. Ruby could control minds, she was one...

Seeking Peer Reviews

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

starry eyed (United States of America)() published:

The Book Thief: Words that display just how powerful words themselves truly are

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

For as long as I can remember, books have always encaptured me, and are my very own plane ticket and time machine, depending on what I choose from the lengthy library shelves that particular day. By reading literature, I could experience anything, from life on Venus, to Ancient Rome, each providing me with knowledge of life. Yet, some books manage to pull me in even deeper, making me feel emotions I had no prior knowledge of. One book, however, has...

4

mariawerner27 (United States of America)() published:

Fairy tales for Young Adults

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Fairy tales are for little kids, right? According to the Oxford Dictionary, a fairy tale is "​A children's story about magical and imaginary beings and lands". 
    Personally, I've never been a big fairy tale enthusiast. Sure, I've always loved Disney's interpretations of the imaginary worlds of princesses and talking animals, but my interests have never gone beyond that.  I always thought every story was the same as any other, being retold in different adaptations. In other words, the stories somewhat...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Vgb35@icloud.com (United States of America)() published:

Into the Perilous Adventure of S.E Hinton's Novel: The Outsiders

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Many people dread the thought of reading a book, others feel as if they have entered a new universe. I'm always intrigued by the exotic characters, the out-of this-world settings, and life changing climax's. Now the question is What to read? After all, there are about millions of books out there. If I could only recommend one, I would say The Outsiders.

The story starts out with the point of view from a young curious...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Aniyah Jones (United States of America)() published:

Urban Legend

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I’m going to tell  the story of the most terrifying moment of my high school career. It has been three years later and I remember it vividly.  I desperately want to forget but the nightmares continue to haunt me and persistently make me anxious day and night. The nightmares did nothing but give me more scarring thoughts of what could have happened to her.   Not to mention, I never recieved closure and she was my best friend. Was she kidnapped...

6

artificialaorta (Argentina)() published:

The Song of Achilles: the power of a good re-telling

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Everyone has heard of it – be it word of mouth, a history lesson on Alexander of Macedon, or that dusty old copy hidden between shelves, with yellowing pages (and written with numbered lines) that probably belonged to your parents (if not your grandparents!). Everyone knows of Achilles.

But how many know of Patroclus, companion to the hero and key to Achilles’ resolve?

The Song of Achillesby Madeline Miller is a brand-new spin on the story of the classical...

Seeking Peer Reviews

wubba lubba dub dub (Peru)() published:

IS THIS A MUST OR WHAT?

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

YES! It asbsolutely is! 
My must read since I was thirteen years old is Percy Jackson, it´s not actualy just one book, it´s a saga, but it was so good, I read it all(5 books of 350 pages or so) in 2 weeks, I just couldn´t stop reading!
It´s about a teenage boy, he always felt like he was different and he didn´t know why, he had ADHD, dyslexia, lack of attention, and he always felt like he was less...

Chloe8 (United States of America)() published:

'What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours': A Study in Keys and Secrets

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

All locks have a key, but do all keys have a lock? Who owns a secret, and who has the right to hide it? There are plenty of keys, and plenty of secrets, in Helen Oyeyemi’s What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours. The book is a collection of short stories that range from winding tales of long-separated lovers to tyrannical kings in slowly-sinking cities, each with its own set of intriguing and fantastical characters.
    I love books...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

weirdo (United States of America)() published:

Tomboy: The Graphic Memoir Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

What is a tomboy? Well, the Oxford Dictionary defines a tomboy as "a young girl who enjoys activities and games that are traditionally considered to be for boys". Okay. Sounds legit. But, is that really what a tomboy is? Because that doesn't seem right to me. I've been dubbed a tomboy since I was five years old. And that definition just seems so... simple. In my opinion, it doesn't seem to hold enough truth in it define a sort of life...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Sanjanaaah (India)() published:

Book Thief : The Published Guide To Make Readers Cry

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"She was the book thief without the words."

I read this book when I was ten. I was a voracious reader, reading books like one breathes air. It was perfectly natural. On the day that I came upon The Book Thief, I remember nothing except the great pit of excitement of finally reading a mature book. Before this book, I was raised on a staple of Percy Jackson's and Harry Potter's, then before that Junie B. Jones and Aesop's Fables....

Seeking Peer Reviews

ANALYZING UGLIES

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Charlotte Gilreath
Title: Uglies
Author: Scott Westerfield
    This book is about a young ugly, Tally, who is looked down upon by her society. She is cast into a category that she has no control over. She anxiously awaits the day when she becomes pretty, when she will have a purpose, her 16th birthday. However, weeks before her 16th birthday something happens that will change her forever.

The day Tally met Shay was...

1

Julius Caesar (United States of America)() published:

Renegades~Marissa Meyer

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Imagine a world where there are superheroes, villains, tall skyscrapers and bustling sidewalks. Yep, just close your eyes and picture it... That’s it! You’ve got it! Do you see that one protagonist with superpowers and a cape flying at the antagonist with some sort of uniform with black and evil(but still cool) technology? It probably looks like something from a comic book or even a MARVEL movie, but in Marissa Meyer’s science fiction book, Renegades, this world is real. Complete...

Seeking Peer Reviews

justmar (United States of America)() published:

The Little Prince: growing up without forgetting

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I have lived my whole life with the anticipation of finally growing up and becoming an adult, but when faced with events that other people have deemed as my "entrance to adulthood," all I have to say is I want to go back. Antoine de Saint-Exupery, the author of the well known novella The Little Prince, seems to be in agreement with me. I first read The Little Prince when I was seven or eight years old, and I can...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rinzerella (United States of America)() published:

A Slightly Traumatic Favorite

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Imagine living out a pretty normal life—having a decent childhood, receiving a good education, falling in love, all that jazz—and, at the age of seventy, dying an average death. Except instead of your existence coming to an end, you are a toddler again, the same as the first time, and you remember…everything.

This is the situation of Harry August, protagonist of Claire North’s genius novel The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, and the story only gets weirder from...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Natalierodas published:

.

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Eleanor & Park. Following through the horrors of high school. At first glance, the book seems dull and a random read. It is much more than a book. It is much more than the credit. Of course, not a newer book but it doesn’t have to be. Imagine yourself reliving the troubling first fear of a first kiss. You aren’t prepared when it happens but then all at once, it does. The adrenaline pumps for that split second. And that...
Seeking Peer Reviews