All writing published for Book Review Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

trinity_grau@yahoo.com (United States of America)() published:

The Unlived Life

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

We all know what it feels like to be that kid.

Hot, listless summers stretch on and on the month before school begins again and we wonder what to do with ourselves now that the glamour of freedom has worn off and we realize we're just as trapped as we were before. We all look over at our local haunt, the old haunted shack, mysterious woods, and wonder: "What if?"

What if indeed?

Natalie Babbitt certainly...

Seeking Peer Reviews

The Unlived Life

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

What if indeed?

Natalie Babbitt certainly...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Bourne (United States of America)() published:

The Day My Life Changed

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Chapter 1
    “Please stay in your house. This is not a test. Just do exactly what you are told.” I stared at the TV in interest as I ate my eggs and bacon. After another few minutes, I called my boss, telling him that I would be unable to make it to work because my neighborhood was on lockdown. “Uhu, sure Jack. Nice try.” “Look Mr. Corgea, I will send you a picture.”
    Hanging up, I pulled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

A For Acorn (United States of America)() published:

What Ender's Game Taught Me About Sci-Fi

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

At the age of six, Andrew “Ender” Wiggins is drafted into the space military to train to fight buggers, an alien species posing the current threat to mankind. Ender is a genius at strategy, game theory, and persuasion, causing his older brother Peter, to develop an inferiority complex against him. Peter bullies Ender because he is a “Third,” the third child born into his family. Because only the first and second child get free education in their society, Ender worries...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

horsiegirl (United States of America)() published:

The Goodreads Review: A Parody

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera
Rating- 5 stars
*Contains light spoilers*

SLKDJLS;KA;DAJDSOOA;KSKJDSJKFSLALK;SHSDJLKAD;SLDKHFJSLAJJSDALALKJSLDJJHDHHJD

So...............I kind of liked this book. First of all, the combination of Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera is truly a Godsend. When I first heard about this book, I screeched so loud I broke the eardrums of everyone in the U.S. of A. Now that I've read this book, I can confirm that it was as amazing as anticipated. I laughed, I almost...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MimiChoudhury (India)() published:

The Winning Of Friends

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"And that is what Rusty is all about- the winning of friends."

The Winning of Friends. What would be the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the sentence?? Those forgotten moments of mirth  and laughter, those little incidents when you literally cried because your best friend failed to pass the exam... and those little forgotten secrets that created a special bond between two mere living beings.
Friendship. Friendship is the most costly possesion that one can...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MimiChoudhury (India)() published:

The Winning Of Friends

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

sashanetr (Russian Federation)() published:

There is nothing more terrible than loneliness among people

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Did I really get impressed?  Or not?  Surprisingly, I can not write anything.  Yes, absolutely nothing.  No words can convey the feeling, the impression that a person experienced from reading this or that book, from watching a movie, just like a train passenger is not able to appreciate the beauty and at the same time the background rot of a country visited by a real traveler.  However, here I clearly contradict myself.  Austrian writer Stefan Zweig more than anyone else...

Seeking Peer Reviews

nicolenair (Singapore)() published:

'The Penderwicks' by Jeanne Birdsall: A Celebration of Childhood

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"For a long time after that summer, the four Penderwick sisters still talked of Arundel” - and so will readers, even years after first reading Jeanne Birdsall’s modern classic The Penderwicks. The character-driven, atmospheric story of youth and family is a showcase of Birdsall’s talent for crafting magic from realistic fiction.
    At its center are the Penderwick sisters: nurturing, responsible, eldest sister Rosalind, clever, hot-headed Skye, idealistic aspiring writer Jane, and Batty, the shy, animal-loving baby of the family....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

weirdo (United States of America)() published:

Tomboy: The Graphic Memoir Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

What is a tomboy? Well, the Oxford Dictionary defines a tomboy as "a young girl who enjoys activities and games that are traditionally considered to be for boys". Okay. Sounds legit. But, is that really what a tomboy is? Because that doesn't seem right to me. I've been dubbed a tomboy since I was five years old. And that definition just seems so... simple. In my opinion, it doesn't seem to hold enough truth in it define a sort of life...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Xavier Nelson (United States of America)() published:

The Bluest Eye Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I read The Bluest Eye in my 9th grade English class. This is surprising because the book is actually very disturbing. Coming off the back of reading Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird in 8th grade, I felt as if I could conquer any book. Oh, how naïve I was. My main strategy for discussions in English class was to put myself in the shoes of the characters. However, using this tactic for The Bluest Eye only...

Seeking Peer Reviews

paola_mtz (United States of America)() published:

The Sun is also a Star

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever wondered if true love truly exists? Do you believe that God has a plan for each and every love story? Are you interested in realistic and romantic books? If so, then "The Sun is also a Star" written by Nicola Yoon is totally a perfect match for you to read. This novel is the perfect and smooth blend of the romantic and realistic genres at the same time. 

“The Sun is also a Star” is a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

AudienceOfOne (United States of America)() published:

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys; Bringing Tears to My Eyes

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Four characters. One brutal war. Each one is fighting for his or her own life as the second world battle rages on. Emilia is just a young Polish girl, who has to embrace the responsibility not only for her own life but also for the one growing inside her. Joana is an aspiring nurse, and takes Emilia under her wing, but when she meets a wounded man out on her journey, his compelling rebellious nature takes her feelings...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

phantasmagorical (United States of America)() published:

Lacy Johnson exposes harsh truths about the world's infinite injustices

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

In her latest memoir and book of essays, “The Reckonings," Lacy Johnson grapples with justice, punishment and the gray space in between, serving up a timely platter of penetrating truths and uncomfortable realities.

Early on, Johnson reveals her fragmented past, in a direct and straightforward way: she was kidnapped, raped, and almost killed by the man she loved. A betrayal in the most intimate, terrible form, and throughout her collection of essays, Johnson explores this imbalance of power一 men soaring...

xMadisonx (United States of America)() published:

Book Review- Coraline by Neil Gaiman

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Coraline by Neil Gaiman is the story of a young girl, named Coraline, who has moved to a new flat with very peculiar neighbors above and below her, finds herself left dismissed by her parents. While investigating her unfamiliar new home, she discovers a door in the drawing room. When her mother opens it for her, all she discovers is that the door was blocked by bricks when the house was turned into apartments. All seems well until...

Seeking Peer Reviews

starry eyed (United States of America)() published:

The Book Thief: Words that display just how powerful words themselves truly are

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

For as long as I can remember, books have always enraptured me, and are my very own plane ticket and time machine, depending on what I choose from the lengthy library shelves that particular day. By reading literature, I could experience anything, from life on Venus, to Ancient Rome, each providing me with knowledge of life. Yet, some books manage to pull me in even deeper, making me feel emotions I had no prior knowledge of. One book, however, has...

Seeking Peer Reviews

allisonlin (United States of America)() published:

Extension of My Metaphor

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The words of a skilled author hold a key to all the unopened doors of the human mind; they represent all the hidden and lesser-known opportunities one could choose. Writers wield a power unlike all else. Ethan Fromeby Edith Wharton is a beautifully crafted novella depicting a gorgeous framed narration about the arduous trials of a young man, emphasizing young love, wretched betrayal, and ultimate sacrifice. Ethan Frome, trapped in an unhappy marriage with his wife Zenobia Frome, falls...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Purple Kitty 2001 (Canada)() published:

Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables: My Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“‘You don’t want me!...You don’t want me because I’m not a boy!’” Anne of Green Gables is about Anne Shirley, an orphan sent to live with Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert on Prince Edward Island. However, the elderly brother and sister requested a boy instead.  
This book is a classic, and my favorite book of all time. I have read it 3-4 times (the edition I own also has its sequel, Anne of Avonlea, which I also love), listened to...

2

Christy Wisdom (United States of America)() published:

An Unusual Story

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"Stay back, human. You don't know what you're dealing with." When us readers come across a book from the fantasy and action/adventure genres, we tend to find that the main character is obnoxious, hot-tempered, and sort of stupid. But this book delivers a protagonist who's quite different from the stereotypical one. If you enjoyed books such as Harry Potter and Percy Jackson but are tired of the same old character flaws, you would love Artemis Fowl by Eoin...

Seeking Peer Reviews

brimumm (United States of America)() published:

A Time To Kill

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

A Time to Killby John Grisham is a mystery novel based in a small town in Mississippi during racism’s prime. The book begins with the kidnapping and rape of ten-year-old Tonya. The young girl was on the way to a grocery store when two middle-aged white guys, Billy Ray Cobb and James Louis “Pete” Willard, kidnapped her and drove her deep into a deserted area. There the men proceeded to repeatedly beat and abuse the girl while she remained...

1
1

Ciera Robson (United States of America)() published:

Is it just Glass?

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Glass is about a young girl that lives with her mom, her name is Kristina. Kristina has a loved young baby, which sounds all good but in reality she has something more on her mind. That something more has plenty of names but she refers to it as the monster. The monster is also called Crank, Glass, Ice, and Crystal most importantly Crystal Meth. The monster has full control of her but she thinks she can stop whenever she...

Living My Life Through Writing (United States of America)() published:

Salt To The Sea

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Salt to the Sea
By Ruta Sepetys
Historical Fiction
Teens: (13-18)

A book can change the way people think, see things and even live. There are thousands of books and everyone asks me how I specifically chose one.   
    When you find a book that changes your life, it is an amazing feeling. The book that changed my life is Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. 
    The book is based in World War 2 times...

Zurie (United States of America)() published:

A Book Review on Jackaby

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Do you believe in banshees and werewolves? How about trolls and goblins? If so, Jackaby is the book for you! Jackaby is a mystery and paranormal fiction book written by William Ritter. This book is about a young woman named Abigail Rook. She set out looking for adventure away from home, but she didn't find any until she met a queer man named Mr. R.F. Jackaby. Mr. Jackaby is considered quite unusual to the townsfolk because he can see abnormal...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MadisonB (United States of America)() published:

A Long Walk to Water

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

A Long Walk To Water      
                                                                       ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

avery101912 (United States of America)() published:

Ready Player One

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Ready Player One
By: Earnest Cline
Science fiction/fantasy

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to just escape reality? When a genius, billionaire, game designer, James Halliday dies in 2039, he creates a contest in his most popular game the O.A.S.I.S or the Ontologically Anthropocentric Sensory Immersive Simulation. In the contest the contestants had to collect 3 keys and complete 3 gates to win the game. The O.A.S.I.Sis an immersive virtual reality experience where anyone can be...