All writing published for Book Review Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

sashanetr (Russian Federation) published:

There is nothing more terrible than loneliness among people

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Did I really get impressed?  Or not?  Surprisingly, I can not write anything.  Yes, absolutely nothing.  No words can convey the feeling, the impression that a person experienced from reading this or that book, from watching a movie, just like a train passenger is not able to appreciate the beauty and at the same time the background rot of a country visited by a real traveler.  However, here I clearly contradict myself.  Austrian writer Stefan Zweig more than anyone else...

Seeking Peer Reviews

nicoleraenair (Singapore) published:

'The Penderwicks' by Jeanne Birdsall: A Celebration of Childhood

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"For a long time after that summer, the four Penderwick sisters still talked of Arundel” - and so will readers, even years after first reading Jeanne Birdsall’s modern classic The Penderwicks. The character-driven, atmospheric story of youth and family is a showcase of Birdsall’s talent for crafting magic from realistic fiction.
    At its center are the Penderwick sisters: nurturing, responsible, eldest sister Rosalind, clever, hot-headed Skye, idealistic aspiring writer Jane, and Batty, the shy, animal-loving baby of the family....

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Xavier Nelson (United States) published:

The Bluest Eye Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I read The Bluest Eye in my 9th grade English class. This is surprising because the book is actually very disturbing. Coming off the back of reading Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird in 8th grade, I felt as if I could conquer any book. Oh, how naïve I was. My main strategy for discussions in English class was to put myself in the shoes of the characters. However, using this tactic for The Bluest Eye only...

Seeking Peer Reviews

paola_mtz (United States) published:

The Sun is also a Star

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever wondered if true love truly exists? Do you believe that God has a plan for each and every love story? Are you interested in realistic and romantic books? If so, then "The Sun is also a Star" written by Nicola Yoon is totally a perfect match for you to read. This novel is the perfect and smooth blend of the romantic and realistic genres at the same time. 

“The Sun is also a Star” is a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

AudienceOfOne (United States) published:

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys; Bringing Tears to My Eyes

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Four characters. One brutal war. Each one is fighting for his or her own life as the second world battle rages on. Emilia is just a young Polish girl, who has to embrace the responsibility not only for her own life but also for the one growing inside her. Joana is an aspiring nurse, and takes Emilia under her wing, but when she meets a wounded man out on her journey, his compelling rebellious nature takes her feelings...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

phantasmagorical (United States) published:

Lacy Johnson exposes harsh truths about the world's infinite injustices

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

In her latest memoir and book of essays, “The Reckonings," Lacy Johnson grapples with justice, punishment and the gray space in between, serving up a timely platter of penetrating truths and uncomfortable realities.

Early on, Johnson reveals her fragmented past, in a direct and straightforward way: she was kidnapped, raped, and almost killed by the man she loved. A betrayal in the most intimate, terrible form, and throughout her collection of essays, Johnson explores this imbalance of power一 men soaring...

xMadisonx (United States) published:

Book Review- Coraline by Neil Gaiman

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Coraline by Neil Gaiman is the story of a young girl, named Coraline, who has moved to a new flat with very peculiar neighbors above and below her, finds herself left dismissed by her parents. While investigating her unfamiliar new home, she discovers a door in the drawing room. When her mother opens it for her, all she discovers is that the door was blocked by bricks when the house was turned into apartments. All seems well until...

Seeking Peer Reviews

starry eyed (United States) published:

The Book Thief: Words that display just how powerful words themselves truly are

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

For as long as I can remember, books have always enraptured me, and are my very own plane ticket and time machine, depending on what I choose from the lengthy library shelves that particular day. By reading literature, I could experience anything, from life on Venus, to Ancient Rome, each providing me with knowledge of life. Yet, some books manage to pull me in even deeper, making me feel emotions I had no prior knowledge of. One book, however, has...

Seeking Peer Reviews

allisonlin (United States) published:

Extension of My Metaphor

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The words of a skilled author hold a key to all the unopened doors of the human mind; they represent all the hidden and lesser-known opportunities one could choose. Writers wield a power unlike all else. Ethan Fromeby Edith Wharton is a beautifully crafted novella depicting a gorgeous framed narration about the arduous trials of a young man, emphasizing young love, wretched betrayal, and ultimate sacrifice. Ethan Frome, trapped in an unhappy marriage with his wife Zenobia Frome, falls...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Purple Kitty 2001 (Canada) published:

Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables: My Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“‘You don’t want me!...You don’t want me because I’m not a boy!’” Anne of Green Gables is about Anne Shirley, an orphan sent to live with Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert on Prince Edward Island. However, the elderly brother and sister requested a boy instead.  
This book is a classic, and my favorite book of all time. I have read it 3-4 times (the edition I own also has its sequel, Anne of Avonlea, which I also love), listened to...

2

Christy Wisdom (United States) published:

An Unusual Story

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"Stay back, human. You don't know what you're dealing with." When us readers come across a book from the fantasy and action/adventure genres, we tend to find that the main character is obnoxious, hot-tempered, and sort of stupid. But this book delivers a protagonist who's quite different from the stereotypical one. If you enjoyed books such as Harry Potter and Percy Jackson but are tired of the same old character flaws, you would love Artemis Fowl by Eoin...

Seeking Peer Reviews

brimumm (United States) published:

A Time To Kill

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

A Time to Killby John Grisham is a mystery novel based in a small town in Mississippi during racism’s prime. The book begins with the kidnapping and rape of ten-year-old Tonya. The young girl was on the way to a grocery store when two middle-aged white guys, Billy Ray Cobb and James Louis “Pete” Willard, kidnapped her and drove her deep into a deserted area. There the men proceeded to repeatedly beat and abuse the girl while she remained...

1
1

Ciera Robson (United States) published:

Is it just Glass?

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Glass is about a young girl that lives with her mom, her name is Kristina. Kristina has a loved young baby, which sounds all good but in reality she has something more on her mind. That something more has plenty of names but she refers to it as the monster. The monster is also called Crank, Glass, Ice, and Crystal most importantly Crystal Meth. The monster has full control of her but she thinks she can stop whenever she...

Living My Life Through Writing (United States) published:

Salt To The Sea

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Salt to the Sea
By Ruta Sepetys
Historical Fiction
Teens: (13-18)

A book can change the way people think, see things and even live. There are thousands of books and everyone asks me how I specifically chose one.   
    When you find a book that changes your life, it is an amazing feeling. The book that changed my life is Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. 
    The book is based in World War 2 times...

Zurie (United States) published:

A Book Review on Jackaby

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Do you believe in banshees and werewolves? How about trolls and goblins? If so, Jackaby is the book for you! Jackaby is a mystery and paranormal fiction book written by William Ritter. This book is about a young woman named Abigail Rook. She set out looking for adventure away from home, but she didn't find any until she met a queer man named Mr. R.F. Jackaby. Mr. Jackaby is considered quite unusual to the townsfolk because he can see abnormal...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MadisonB (United States) published:

A Long Walk to Water

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

A Long Walk To Water      
                                                                       ...
Seeking Peer Reviews

avery101912 (United States) published:

Ready Player One

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Ready Player One
By: Earnest Cline
Science fiction/fantasy

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to just escape reality? When a genius, billionaire, game designer, James Halliday dies in 2039, he creates a contest in his most popular game the O.A.S.I.S or the Ontologically Anthropocentric Sensory Immersive Simulation. In the contest the contestants had to collect 3 keys and complete 3 gates to win the game. The O.A.S.I.Sis an immersive virtual reality experience where anyone can be...

2

Cath (United States) published:

The Ruins of Gorlan

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Ruins of Gorlan  
By: John Flanagan
Fantasy/Adventure

Do you like books that are full of adventure? This book is the first book in the Rangers Apprentice series. It is a book filled with humor and adventures! This book is very good because it has a good plot, is a very captivating read, and has relatable, well developed characters.
    This story is centered around Will, a 15 year old orphan. He is about to have to choose what...

Seeking Peer Reviews

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Four characters. One brutal war. Each one is fighting for his or her own life as the second world battle rages on. Emilia is just a young Polish girl, who has to embrace the responsibility not only for her own life but also for the one growing inside her. Joana is an aspiring nurse, and takes Emilia under her wing, but when she meets a wounded man out on her journey, his compelling rebellious nature takes her feelings on a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Claraaa (United States) published:

Water for Elephants- A Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Following the risky and slightly perilous days of Jacob Jankowski during his time working as a circus vet tech in America's Depression, Sara Gruen introduces us to a world of eccentricities, close calls, and a forbidden romance that keeps reader's turning pages. This book is as wild and as much of an unparalleled experience as a circus itself, with its timelessness and notably unique characters. Gruen goes about her double narrative of young Jacob, trying to make it as a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

charleegirl06 (United States) published:

ANALYZING UGLIES

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Title: Uglies
Genre: Science Fiction/ Young Adult/ Fantasy/ and Dystopian
Author: Scott Westerfield

This book is about a young ugly, Tally, who is looked down upon by her society. She is cast into a category that she has no control over. She anxiously awaits the day when she becomes pretty, when she will have a purpose, her 16th birthday. However, weeks before her 16th birthday something happens that will change her forever...

There are four main characters in this...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

PerspicaciousMcNugget (United States) published:

Leviathan, A Story Worth Reading

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Author: Scott Westerfeld    Genre: Steampunk/Biopunk/Alternate History    

In this world, you’re either a Clanker, a Darwinist, or a combination of both. I’m not talking about our world as you can probably infer, but of the world of “Leviathan,” where fabricated Darwinist beasts and Clanker machines have been present for quite some time. An alternate history of the world, “Leviathan” takes place in the first few months of World War I, where the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand (by Serbians...
Seeking Peer Reviews

rowangalathynius (New Zealand) published:

Twisted by Steve Cavanagh

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

In Steve Cavanagh’s latest hit, Twisted, he experiments even further with outrageous plot ideas. A book inside a book (inside a book), there is no telling the difference between truth and fiction on the lines of these pages. Some characters are portrayed the way they want to be seen, while others are introduced in a different light, manipulated by the view of the book’s mysterious author J.T. LeBeau. Although this book does not feature the beloved Eddie Flynn from other...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

LyraLynne (United States) published:

Humanity's Light: A Review of A Monster Calls

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The imperfections of humanity are what give us our strength. The struggles we face and the wars we fight only cause us to rise, despite the impending inevitability of oblivion. It is only too truthful, though, to say that we grow from each other, and being lonely is one of our greatest weaknesses. Even if we think we long for solidarity, and push the world away, it takes a part of our soul that can only be filled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

ToxicAvenger362 (United States) published:

Crank Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever wondered how drugs can destroy your home and family? They are very bad for your health and can tear families apart. The book Crank by Ellen Hopkins is an amazing book that tells a true story about how a young girl got addicted to Methamphetamines also known as meth, crystal meth, and crank. Meth is a powerful addictive stimulant that can be smoked, snorted, eaten, or injected.
Kristina was the girls name, her other side being Bree....

Seeking Peer Reviews