All writing published for Book Review Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

guler1 (Norway)() published:

THE DARKEST MINDS –BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“They were never scared of the kids who might die, or the empty spaces they would leave behind. They were afraid of us-the ones who lived,” this quote basically explains what The darkest minds is about. 

The darkest minds was written by Alexandra Bracken and is the first book in the darkest minds series. The genre of the book is Dystopi, which is a genre about horrific futures where the evil reigns supreme, a world opposite of a utopia.  ...

guler1 (Norway)() published:

THE DARKEST MINDS –BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

guler1 (Norway)() published:

THE DARKEST MINDS –BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

guler1 (Norway)() published:

THE DARKEST MINDS –BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

Darria (Romania)() published:

When Reality Was Blessed With Magic

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I never really believed in magic. And I'm not talking about the feelings which we usually compare to magic, such as love or friendship. I'm talking about actual magic. After I read "The Magus", beautifully written by John Fowles, I started to think that magic might actually exist, just not in the way I thought it would.

John Fowles is a very complex writer, born in 1926. All his main characters have something in common, regardless of the fact that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Clay _Young (United States of America)() published:

1984

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The year is 1984. The Party is in complete control of everything, and the government sees everything. The novel paints a dark picture of a bleak future of what an invasion of privacy looks like, and the life of one person living in this bleak world. No on can ignore the impact 1984 has had on our society and while people may talk about it just being glob and gloom. Reading the novel for yourself will be a very enlightening...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

MimiChoudhury (India)() published:

The Winning Of Friends

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"And that is what Rusty is all about- the winning of friends."

The Winning of Friends. What would be the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the sentence?? Those forgotten moments of mirth  and laughter, those little incidents when you literally cried because your best friend failed to pass the exam... and those little forgotten secrets that created a special bond between two mere living beings.
Friendship. Friendship is the most costly possesion that one can...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MarianaG (United States of America)() published:

The Body

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them.”
    The inevitable transition from childhood to adulthood happens in different manifestations for every person. For some, maturity arrives with high school, moving to a new city, the loss of a loved one, or the realization that parents aren’t perfect. For others, the journey of growing up comes with an adventure in look for a corpse.
    While achieving to...

xXlunagirlXx (United States of America)() published:

Review: Don't talk back to your vampire

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

If I were inarticulate, I wouldn't even glance at this book, and even for me, some parts were difficult to understand. I like that. I love a challenge.  Michele Bardsley did a great job of mixing despair, humour, and bravado. I love the vamp/mum twist, and, to top of that, she's a pet physic! Mrs Bardsley really knows how to make a reader want to pummel, hug and yell at someone all at the same time. Although, I wouldn't recommend...

Ella R B (United States of America)() published:

Book Review: 'The Circle' by Dave Eggers

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Dave Eggers’s novel, The Circle, is thought-provoking but lacks complexity. The novel, which deals with the increasing publicity of our lives due to the internet, causes me to ponder the society of today and the way we are learning to revolve around technology and the immediate access of information. However, while reading Eggers' novel, I find myself hard pressed to detect more than minimal character development as the book progresses, and while the book's themes are intriguing, its simplicity...

Seeking Peer Reviews

zodiethegreat (Indonesia)() published:

Totto-chan: The Little Girl at the Window

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

We all wish we had a childhood as carefree as Totto-chan’s. In the midst of what adults would call misery, doe-eyed Totto-chan runs, runs, moving her small feet quickly and hums a happy tune in her head, all the while her long hair flies in the wind.

Totto-chan: The Little Girl at the Windowis a memoir written by one of Japan’s most famous actress and TV personality in her time, Tetsuko Kuroyanagi. The book tells the tale of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

buddingauthor (India)() published:

My Must Read!

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

My must read book is They Do It With Mirrors by Agatha Christie. Whenever we speak about the Queen Of Crime, we always think of Murder on the Orient Express or Death on the Nile, but I would like to add another, They Do It With Mirrors.
This book changed my perspective on things and the way I usually saw things. It was so captivating and I could imagine the scenes, the places, even if I hadn't visited them, as...

Seeking Peer Reviews

phyll (Kenya)() published:

BOOK REVIEW OF THE PLAY'BETRAYAL IN THE CITY'

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Betrayal in the City, Francis Imbuga
East African educational publishers, 1987
75 pages, ISBN 998-9966-46-360-9

Betrayal in the City is a play that displays the untamable beasts that devoured the now independent African states immediately after colonization. Author Francis Imbuga uncovers the hardships and struggles faced by the citizens of these states. He symbolically addresses the vices passionately embraced by the leaders who took on seats after, what they achieved or rather what was achieved on their behalf.

I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

nicolenair (Singapore)() published:

'The Penderwicks' by Jeanne Birdsall: A Celebration of Childhood

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"For a long time after that summer, the four Penderwick sisters still talked of Arundel” - and so will readers, even years after first reading Jeanne Birdsall’s modern classic The Penderwicks. The character-driven, atmospheric story of youth and family is a showcase of Birdsall’s talent for crafting magic from realistic fiction.
    At the story's centre are the Penderwick sisters: nurturing, responsible, eldest sister Rosalind, clever, hot-headed Skye, idealistic aspiring writer Jane, and Batty, the shy, animal-loving baby of the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

AudienceOfOne (United States of America)() published:

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys; Bringing Tears to My Eyes

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Four characters. One brutal war. Each one is fighting for his or her own life as the second world battle rages on. Emilia is just a young Polish girl, who has to embrace the responsibility not only for her own life but also for the one growing inside her. Joana is an aspiring nurse, and takes Emilia under her wing, but when she meets a wounded man out on her journey, his compelling rebellious nature takes her feelings...

Seeking Peer Reviews

weirdo (United States of America)() published:

Tomboy: The Graphic Memoir Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

What is a tomboy? Well, the Oxford Dictionary defines a tomboy as "a young girl who enjoys activities and games that are traditionally considered to be for boys". Okay. Sounds legit. But, is that really what a tomboy is? Because that doesn't seem right to me. I've been dubbed a tomboy since I was five years old. And that definition just seems so... simple. In my opinion, it doesn't seem to hold enough truth in it define a sort of life...

Seeking Peer Reviews

AshleighLoe (United States of America)() published:

'The Time Traveler's Wife' Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Adventure, mystery, intrigue, and love: if you like these, you’ll love The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.  This is the love story between Henry DeTamble, a man who has a medical condition which causes him to involuntarily time travel, and Clare, a woman who lives by the normal rules of time.  The majority of the book takes place in and around Chicago, with a few exceptions due to Henry’s condition.  Generally, the book follows a normal, sequential timeline like...

1

Pi_Pen (United States of America)() published:

Between Shades of Gray, by Ruta Sepetys- a review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Between Shades of Gray, by the Lithuanian-American author Ruta Sepetys, is a touching International best-selling historical fiction novel that captures readers and compels them to learn about a dark history long forgotten by humanity. This heart-breaking and, contemporaneously, heart-warming story begins in 1941 and sheds light on the deportation of the inhabitants of the baltic states (Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania) to Siberia under the dominance of communist Russia during the regime of Stalin's totalitarian dictatorship. This book accompanies horrifying...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Sharpton (United States of America)() published:

Review of The Book Thief

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Book Thief: 'It's just a small story really, about, among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist fighter, and quite a lot of thievery.'

This snippet, taken from page 5 of The Book Thief, perfectly describes the memorable story.  The girl is Liesel Meminger, who lost her brother on the way to their new foster home.  Liesel Meminger doesn't know how to read in the beginning of the novel but her foster...

1

PureHeart (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() published:

Pride and Prejudice

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Jane Austen, although having died over two hundred years ago, has inspired people to write about her, reimagine her novels, and have marvelled at her works.

Jane was born in Stevenson, England, in 1775. Born into an affectionate family of eight, with six brothers and one sister, she favoured her only sister, Cassandra, whom she became very attatched to and viewed her as her closest companion. For two years, Jane went to boarding school to master needlework, dancing, French, drawing, and spelling,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Vania Chow (Hong Kong)() published:

"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn- Haunting tale for a Life Lession

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"When I think of my wife, I always think of her head." This conventional, slightly concerning, phrase is the opening line to the thriller novel which is anything but ordinary. At the beginning of the novel, all seems to be well- too well, perhaps even resembling our ideal lives- but as the novel progresses, stranger and stranger events begin to occur, not only enthralling the reader into the dark web of Dunne's secrets, but also telling a tale of love, sacrifice,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hoodedchikin95 (Singapore)() published:

A night divided

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

This story has caught my attention with its amazing plot. It is about a girl, named Gerta who’s family has been divided by a border that separates east and West Berlin. Her Father and her Middle Brother had gone over to the West Berlin to search for a job, unfortunately, on the day they were supposed to come back home, a wall was built. Each passing day, the wall had only gotten stronger, making it nearly impossible for Gerta, her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

MimiChoudhury (India)() published:

The Winning Of Friends

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

sinthi (United States of America)() published:

Fire lit by Water

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

hush she is sleeping
hush for the peace 
hush she is breathing
hush or just leave
for now-she is water

she is now as still as a Sinthi (flower) on an April day
she now a calm as a caterpillar in a chrysalis 
she is now who she was and will be
she is now water

unless...
unless the sun does not sit
unless the sun does not sit!
she is whom must stand
she is oil

the grease, the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

writing_is_art (Ayushi) (Canada)() published:

Six of Crows

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

If you ever find yourself bored with reality and looking to take part in an enthralling escapade into a fictional land, I would recommended to you 'Six of Crows'. The dusty streets of Ketterdam carry with them mystery, blood and ashes. It is a city where trying to keep your wits about you is almost as hard as trying to safeguard your wallet.

The brilliant author Leigh Bardugo focused her story on a cast of 6 misfit characters- each carrying...