All writing published for Book Review Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Masha Kurbatova (United States) published:

“The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test” Continues to Electrify Half a Century Later

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Few books so captivate the imagination, so stimulate the senses, so fully invigorate the mind and spirit as does Tom Wolfe’s chef-d’oeuvre “The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.” It is a work of very creative nonfiction that details the escapades of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” author Ken Kesey in his post-novelist years. Kesey was the messiah behind the psychedelic movement in the United States of the 1960s, the captain of a fantastic DayGlo boat coursing the New Wave...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

WritingDragon (United States) published:

The Giver

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever wanted to be completely absorbed into a book? Ever wanted to allow a story to unfold before your eyes and all at once understand it and not at the same time? Lose every memory of the events, the charters, the place, as your mind fills with vivid yet colorless pictures trying to recapture the memory?

If so then you've stumbled across the right book. When I first read The Giver, I was engulfed into the story....

1

cdilts (United States) published:

Entering the Realm of Graceling

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Graceling, by Kristin Cashore, is an intriguing and creative read that will hold onto you until the very last page.  This book is a fantasy/romance novel that is classified as young adult fiction. It is a bit long, with 480 pages, but it will delight and exhilarate you through almost all of the book.  I rate this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. I give it this rating because, while I love this book, I thought that for a...
Seeking Peer Reviews

cdilts (United States) published:

Entering the Realm of Graceling

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Graceling, by Kristin Cashore, is an intriguing and creative read that will hold onto you until the very last page.  This book is a fantasy/romance novel that is classified as young adult fiction. It is a bit long, with 480 pages, but it will delight and exhilarate you through almost all of the book.  I rate this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. I give it this rating because I thought that for a chapter or two in the...

1

Julius Caesar (United States) published:

Renegades~Marissa Meyer

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Imagine a world where there are superheroes, villains, tall skyscrapers and bustling sidewalks. Yep, just close your eyes and picture it... That’s it! You’ve got it! Do you see that one protagonist with superpowers and a cape flying at the antagonist with some sort of uniform with black and evil(but still cool) technology? It probably looks like something from a comic book or even a MARVEL movie, but in Marissa Meyer’s science fiction book, Renegades, this world is real. Complete...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Tyranni (Canada) published:

The Young Elites Trilogy Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

‘Some hate us, think us outlaws to hang at the gallows. Some fear us think us demons to burn at the stake. Some worship us, think us children of the gods, but all know us.’ - The Young Elites

The Young Elites is a YA fantasy series written by Marie Lu, the author of the bestselling Legend trilogy. The series has three books: The Young Elites, The Rose Society and the Midnight Star. Published from 2014 to 2015, the series...
Seeking Peer Reviews

cdilts (United States) published:

Entering the Realm of Graceling

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

The Giver

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever wanted to be completely absorbed into a book? So much so that by the time you finish reading it, you remember everything and nothing all at once? Ever wanted to allow a story to unfold before your eyes and all at once understand it and not at the same time? Lose every memory of the events, the charters, the place, as your mind fills with vivid yet colorless pictures trying to recapture the memory? Are you looking...

1

Vgb35@icloud.com (United States) published:

Into the Perilous Adventure of S.E Hinton's Novel: The Outsiders

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Many people dread the thought of reading a book; others feel as if they have entered a new universe. I'm always intrigued by the exotic characters, the out-of this-world settings, and one life changing climax. Now the question is; What to read? After all, there are about millions books out there. If I could only recommend one, I would say The Outsiders.

The story starts out with the point of view from a young, curious...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

sarahthomas (United States) published:

Book Review Competition- Sarah Thomas

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"People think of heaven as a paradise garden, a place where they can float on clouds and laze in rivers and mountains. But scenery without solace is meaningless. This is the greatest gift God can give you; to understand what happened in your life," Mitch Albom writes, in his life changing book, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." There are some books that you read out of choice, others you just prefer to wait until the movie...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Morrell (United States) published:

Runner

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Deciding between right and wrong is a choice we all face daily. Have you ever had to decide between making money doing something illegal? The book Runner, by Carl Deuker, has a very current topic yet the main character, Chance, faces the ages old dilemma of right versus wrong on a much grander scale. With an exciting plot and interesting characters, Runner will not allow you to put it down. The lure of what happens next to Chance will entice...

lillielopez (United States) published:

You Are The Everything

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

You Are The Everything is a book that will make you appreciate every aspect of life. It is most definitely a very meaningful book but also has many comical moments. This book is a good read for anyone who is interested about teenage romance and mental recovery. There is a lot of sad moments, but the progression of happiness will make you never want to stop reading. The thoughts the characters express is the most intriguing thing about this book,...

_theashes_ (Canada) published:

Untitled

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

To every young lady who has never read a book; tailored with femininity, coated with challenges, and supported by humor - here's my advice to you. Go buy yourself a copy of "Confessions of a Shopaholic". Written by Sophie Kinsella, this has been my best purchase yet. I first came across my copy of "Confessions of a Shopaholic" in an old bookstore, during the summer. I kept this book for an additional three years, next to my biology and math binders, up...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lil Writer (United States) published:

Fake ID

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Fake ID is a realistic fiction book by Lamar Giles. The book starts off by talking about a young teen. His name is Nick. Nick moves a lot due to this program him and his family are on. The name of the program is Witness Protection. Him and his family have to tell the program how their life is in return for protection and money. Tony is use to the moving all around life style and moving to yet another...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Slayten (United States) published:

La Linea

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Reading is terrible. I just wanted to hook you in I don't think reading is terrible, but now that I have your attention I'll start on my review of La Linea by Ann Jaramillo. So I'm not much of a reader but I know a good book whenever I read one and I would say La Linea by Ann Jaramillo is a good book overall but can become quite repetitive in some instances. Let me start off saying...

1

LyraLynne (United States) published:

Humanity's Light: A Review of A Monster Calls

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The imperfections of humanity are what give us our strength. The struggles we face and the wars we fight only cause us to rise, despite the impending inevitability of oblivion. It is only too truthful, though, to say that we grow from each other, and being lonely is one of our greatest weaknesses. Even if we think we long for solidarity, and push the world away, it takes a part of our soul that can only be filled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Claraaa (United States) published:

Water for Elephants- A Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Following the risky and slightly perilous days of Jacob Jankowski during his time working as a circus veterinarian in America's Depression, Sara Gruen introduces us to a world of eccentricities, close calls, and a forbidden romance that keeps readers turning pages. This book is as wild and as much of an unparalleled experience as a circus itself, with its timelessness and notably unique characters. Gruen goes about her double narrative of young Jacob, trying to make it as a veterinarian...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Simon Graf (United States) published:

The Martian: A Hilarious Story of A Man Almost Getting Killed

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Martian is a book that is hard to describe. It is certainly funny but it has serious moments. It has math but it isn’t a textbook. It is good for anyone who is interested in engineering and science but doesn’t want the story to be bogged down by equations. The science is one of the best things about this book, but the plot is no slacker.
    The book covers the story of an astronaut named Mark Watney, who after...

Seeking Peer Reviews

DCobb (United States) published:

Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I've always been a quiet and admittedly shy person. I find hobbies and habits to spend my time so I don't feel useless. I'd felt I tried everything when I picked up a book. Yes a book I can't believe it either, but I started to read this book and suddenly I felt as if I were transported to a different universe. That book is called Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone.
I was taken to a world where it...

1

Kthrasher5 (United States) published:

Thumbelina, Tiny Runaway Bride: A Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you heard the original story of Thumbelina
Created by Hans Christian Anderson, it tells the story of a miniature girl who constantly has to escape from marrying odd creatures before finally marrying a flower prince who's just her size.
Doesn't sound too exciting, does it? Well, don't worry, because this review isn't about that story--or rather--that version of the story.

Thumbelina, Tiny Runaway Bride is a Fantasy Adventure written by Barbara Ensor and published by Schwartz & Wade...

Seeking Peer Reviews

pinky (Cyprus) published:

“But the eyes are blind. One must look with the heart.”

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Tittle: The Little Prince
Writer: Antoine de Saint-Exupery 
When: 1943

Have you ever seen anyone watching the stars and smiling?Then, he must be thinking of the little prince. I have found myself staring at the stars hoping to see a little boy laughing. It seems crazy but it isn’t, as you read the book you will understand, because this little prince is so innocent and beloved that can melt everyone’s heart. Moreover, through his experiences he reminds...

1

pinky (Cyprus) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Tittle: The Little Prince
Writer: Antoine de Saint-Exupery 
When: 1943

guler1 (Norway) published:

THE DARKEST MINDS –BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“They were never scared of the kids who might die, or the empty spaces they would leave behind. They were afraid of us-the ones who lived,” this quote basically explains what The darkest minds is about. 

The darkest minds was written by Alexandra Bracken and is the first book in the darkest minds series. The genre of the book is Dystopi, which is a genre about horrific futures where the evil reigns supreme, a world opposite of a utopia.  ...

guler1 (Norway) published:

THE DARKEST MINDS –BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

guler1 (Norway) published:

THE DARKEST MINDS –BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019