All writing published for Book Review Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Amy Gates (United States of America)() published:

Fablehaven: An Enchanting Book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Author Brandon Mull introduces us to the magical sanctuary of Fablehaven in this stunning first book of his new series. Brandon Dorman provides fun-filled and descriptive images of what’s happening in the book the periodically. Published July 30, 2006, by Deseret Book Company, its 351 pages are filled with all sorts of fun and adventure.
In the first book Kendra and Seth are a set of siblings reluctantly staying with their grandparents while their parents take a cruise. They...

cdilts (United States of America)() published:

Entering the Realm of Graceling

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"I'll tell you my reasons if you tell me yours."
"I'll tell you nothing, and you must let me pass."
"Must I?"
"If you don't, I'll have to force you."
"Do you think you can?"
She faked to her right, and he swung away, easily.  She did it again, faster.  Again, he escaped her easily.  He was very good.  But she was Katsa.

Graceling, by Kristin Cashore, is an intriguing and creative read that will hold onto you until...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Entering the Realm of Graceling

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"Must I?"
"If you don't, I'll have to force you."
"Do you think you can?"

Seeking Peer Reviews

Caitlan McLerran (United States of America)() published:

A Dog's Journey: The Heart-Wrenching Story of a Dog's Love for his Owner

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

A Dog’s Journey, written by W. Bruce Cameron is a sequel to another of Cameron’s books, A Dog’s Purpose. A Dog’s Journeyoverviews the journey of a dog and his owner. The dog’s journey is living multiple lives as different dogs in order to be there for his owner. This book is incredibly charming and sweet in the way it portrays the dog’s loyalty to his owner. He lives his life as one dog, and works most of his...

Selim Elassar (Egypt)() published:

The Egypt Game

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Egypt Game
There are many valuable things in life, but friendship is the ultimate fulfillment. “The Egypt Game”, published in 1967 by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, reflects the importance of friendship in one’s life. The Newbery Honor-winning novel...

Emily8648 (United States of America)() published:

A Thrilling Story: Attack on Titan

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Attack on Titan, known in Japan as 進撃の巨人 (Shingeki no Kyojin) The first manga, or graphic novel, of the Attack on Titan series was published in 2010 for Japan, 2012 for the Americas. Before I continue with this review, I will note that I will not include any spoilers for the next books within the series.
         The graphic novel begins in the year 845, showing the military division, the Survey Corps, fighting off the main enemy within the series,...

jazminjayme (United States of America)() published:

The Ugly Duckling

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

This book is a classic, remade and done over and over in different forms. Each form with their own interpretation. The Ugly Duckling, Illustrated by Poland’s Lovsin not only gives power in its words but in its pictures as well. This story teaches children at a very young age an important lesson. The beginning of the book is just as important as the end. Starting off with an underdog character. The late hatched egg was only the start of the...

1

Rahma Ismail (Egypt)() published:

BOOK REVIEW: BEFORE I FALL

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Rahma Ismail
Honours 9
WTW3: BOOK REVIEW
February 12th, 2019

Before I Fall
Imagine reliving the same day over and over again for a week before going back to the drawing board. In Before I Fall, a captivating story by Lauren Oliver, the protagonist Samantha Kingston, goes through an identical situation. Here, Samantha is stuck in a time loop after a devastating car accident on Friday, February 12th in her hometown of Ridgeview. Samantha is then brought into this...

A. Markwood (United States of America)() published:

Discovering The Secrets of the Universe -- a review of Benjamin Alire Sáenz’s Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets of the Universe

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever read a book that made you feel like you understood your world better just for reading it? Have you ever read a book that seemed as if it was written just for you? Maybe you have, maybe you haven’t, but the books that can do that are different for everyone. For me, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe was that book. How fitting, considering the title.
The way a book makes you feel isn’t...

Seth Reno (United States of America)() published:

Refugee

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Refugee Book Review
By:Seth Reno

The novel Refugee by Alan Gratz is split into 3 different stories or books. The main character in the first story is Josef, the main character in the second story is Isabel and in the last story the main character is Mahmoud. The book stops each story every 3-5 pages and starts the next story then it picks up where it left off. So the book is kind of hard to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

#KatnissEverdeen (United States of America)() published:

Her

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

You see her? The one with the shiny, wet hands from buckets of sweat? Her face contorted in pain and yet so full of concentration.
    No one knows what’s happened with her. No one seemes to care. Her friends are freaks and shedoesn't exactly add up to much either. We can see her salty tears run down her face, creating a wet river behind. We can hear her guttural cries in the bathroom, but we don’t know what’s wrong with...

bride124 (United States of America)() published:

A Superb Recommendation

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

After several attempts, I am proud to say that people of all reading interests should come together to relish the fantastic book of Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan! In a simplistic overview (with no spoilers), it is a amazing read about how after he finds a book, Otto meets three mysterious sisters, who entwines into a challenging quest involving three characters, a prophecy, a promise, and a harmonica.  With so many twists like Ivy's neighborhood and the potential loss of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Saulele (Lithuania)() published:

"Call me by your name" review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I love pictures that show something amazing just about to happen. There is one I have - it’s me in London literally running towards a bookstore. I had no idea my best friend took it, so it has the blurriness of my movement and a  disturbed looking lady watching me sprinting towards the door. I feel like if I had known what I was going to find in there, it’d have run even faster causing the poor woman to drop...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Youssef Selim (Egypt)() published:

Book Review: Animal Farm

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever experienced animals rebelling on a farm? If you haven’t you need to read the book “Animal Farm” which showcases a real life rebellion but in a much more creative way that attracts all the readers. The rebellion, in the story, is a representation to the Russian Revolution. “Animal Farm” is a very famous book written by the infamous English author, George Orwell. “Animal Farm” is a novella as well as a fable, it is also an allegory....

guler1 (Norway)() published:

THE DARKEST MINDS –BY ALEXANDRA BRACKEN

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“They were never scared of the kids who might die, or the empty spaces they would leave behind. They were afraid of us-the ones who lived,” this quote basically explains what The darkest minds is about. 

The darkest minds was written by Alexandra Bracken and is the first book in the darkest minds series. The genre of the book is Dystopi, which is a genre about horrific futures where the evil reigns supreme, a world opposite of a utopia.  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Nour Mina (Egypt)() published:

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi’s words are the very essence of the author’s message when she wrote, “Wonder.” R. J. Palacio in her famous book “Wonder” sends many messages for the reader including bravery and courage. Wonder is about a 10-year-old boy named Auggie that is later featured as a movie. He has been homeschooled by his mother until the fifth grade but his parents have decided that it was time for him...

1

Kai Sanchez (Philippines)() published:

Smaller and Smaller Circles

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Crime, it is something that never seems to go away. It is something we face every day, and despite the fact that hundreds of people are fighting against, it never seems to dwindle down. Two priests, Father Augusto Saenz and his young protégé and friend, Father Jerome Lucero, battle the eternal struggle between crime and justice in F.H. Bacatan’s novel, “Smaller and Smaller Circles.” In her crime novel, F.H. Bacatan immerses us in a world where the focal...

shahdd (Egypt)() published:

Radio Silence: The Book About Embracing Your Personality

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“Hello. I hope somebody is listening.” This iconic line from the young adult book Radio Silence by the up-and-coming author Alice Osemanrepresents this story well, with the protagonist of the story being the notorious Frances Janvier: a girl who’s only personality trait is smart. Frances is quite introverted, or at least everyone thinks she is, before she makes her first real friend - Aled Last. Before Aled came into her life, Frances was the genius of the school with...

bethdear_ (Australia)() published:

The Darkest Minds, Alexandra Bracken.

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Ruby. Ruby Daly. Daughter. Stranger. Child. Freak. Friend. Enemy. Green. Invisible. Special. Dangerous. Monster. Orange. Ruby had been numerous things in her life but she couldn't even begin to imagine how many more would accompany that list. After America got hit with a disease, IAAN, that wiped out 98% of their kids, the outcasts that were left were different. The 2% were; Green- enhanced intelligence, these ones were smart, very smart. They could code things and understand things into a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

alya abdelsalam 24 (Egypt)() published:

tsitp- Alya Abdelsalm

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Write The World #3
Alya Abdelsalam                    
February 18th, 2019
The Summer I Turned Pretty
          The Summer I Turned Pretty, is a phenomenal piece of literature written by Jenny Han. Despite this cliche and frankly annoying title, about what seems to be a glow-up, and a cliche summer romance, it's beyond that. This book goes further and deeper beyond what you might expect it to be. This novel can get a little predictable at times but there is...

1

Kenzi El Wassief (Egypt)() published:

The Perks of Being a Struggling Teenager

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Reading has a bad reputation among the younger generation and for good reason. Books before weren’t necessarily targeting a specific group of people but rather, they were targeting interests. There were books for romance-lovers, adrenaline-seekers, and even fantasy fanatics. However, what about the people who don’t have something specific they stick to? The ones who don’t have that one thing that defines them? What book do theyread? “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is a coming of age story...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Zeina Elkhouly (Egypt)() published:

Wonder- book review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“Courage, kindness, friendship, and character; these are the qualities that define us as human beings and propel us on occasion, to greatness.” The book “Wonder” written by R. J. Palacio, encompasses all of these traits. The story describes the life of a young boy with a genetic facial deformity and the challenges that he faces. Auggie, the boy with this condition, is bullied and is faced with many problems that a normal twelve-year old kid is not supposed to...

1

Xavier Nelson (United States of America)() published:

The Bluest Eye Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I read The Bluest Eye in my 9th grade English class, which, looking back on it, is quite strange since the content is very mature for a 9th grader. Though coming off the back of reading Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird in 8th grade,I felt as if I could conquer any book. Oh, how naïve I was. My main strategy for discussions in English class was to put myself in the shoes of the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lucille Fleischer (United States of America)() published:

Every Day

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Every Day by David Levithan is a must read, for anyone who loves an amazing and different than your regular romance novel.  If your'e looking for a young adult romance with a fantasy twist, Every Day is the book for you. This book circulates between two characters; Rhiannon and A. A is a character who changes bodies everyday into someone else. A goes through dramatic body changes such as; female, males, suicidal people, over weight people, gay people, and many more...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Vivian Celina (United States of America)() published:

Steelheart: A Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“I’ve seen Steelheart bleed.” The enigmatic first line of Brandon Sanderson’s teen/young adult novel Steelheart, the first in the Reckoners Trilogy, draws the reader in with unparalleled efficiency, already leaving so many unanswered questions.
     Imagine a dystopian future where the collapse of society was due not to nuclear weapons or environmental destruction, but to people with superpowers. A year after the mysterious celestial body known as Calamity appeared in the sky, a few humans began to...