All writing published for Book Review Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Default avatar user icon

VirCam337 (United States) published:

Cloning, Drug Lords, and a Land Called Opium--a book review of the House of Scorpions by Viridiana Camarillo

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (copyright 2002) is about a boy named Matt. Matt  is a clone for a famous drug lord named El Patron.Matt struggles to understand why he is how he is, why the family seems nice but is cruel, on top of all of that, drama that affects him, because in the book, he struggles with understanding why people are dishonest and rude to him, when they don't know him at all. This science...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1200 6965 lotus flower photo1

Z.Bunzigiye (Canada) published:

Book Review on Beloved by Toni Morrison

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Enslavement. Beastiality. Gang rape. Infanticide. White supremacy. Postpartum depression. PTSD. Ghosts. That is the world of Beloved, published in 1987. It is a work that won its author, Toni Morrison, the Pulitzer Prize the next year. And it was all based on the true story of a woman who was enslaved named Margaret Garner. The setting was in the United States during the time that it used slavery as an economic system. 

Explaining the plot of this book proves to be a...

Default avatar user icon

arishmomin (United States) published:

GYM CANDY book review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Hi my name is Arish Momin and today i will be telling you about the book i read called gym candy. it is about a boy who is scronny but he has talent. And his dad was a former Nfl player who played for the chargers. but then something tragic happened so he was released from the team. So he wanted to make his son a better player than he was. And not mess up like he did. SO he...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screenshot 2019 02 23 at 11.50.55 am
2

cosmiclatte (United States) published:

The Nocturnal Beauty of The Night Circus

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“This is not magic. This is the way the world is, only very few people take the time to stop and note it.” 

If writing could assume a human vessel, this one would be be wearing a corseted ballgown and an intricately carved gold tiara, running around a secluded stone palace while her skin takes on a pale tint under the hood of the moon. And this enchanting gem of a lady would only arrive spontaneously at the dead of night,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

lesliereyes (United States) published:

Schizo

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Schizo by Nick Sheff Book Review.

Default avatar user icon

lesliereyes (United States) published:

Schizo

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Book Review.

Default avatar user icon

AmaanChaudhry (United States) published:

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

A bunch of kids stuck on an island together this is a formula for chaos. This is also the story of Lord of the Flies, a Nobel prize winning novel, by William Golding. The book is based around the premise of good vs evil or civilization vs savagery. The story features a unique variety of characters that are all very interesting in their own way. It contains deep themes with very heart touching ideas and messages. William Golding...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

NAUDIAFER_BARRY (United States) published:

The Tale of Despereaux Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Tale of Despereaux is, in a word, pure. While we could debate the meaning of that word alone in a 1,000-word essay, in this context, the innocence of the story comes from the messages within it that teach lessons of enduring hope and limitless compassion. This story follows a mouse named Despereaux, born with massive ears (think Dumbo) and an inability to conform to the status quo, as he reads about brave deeds of heroism, falls in love with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
2

BabyPixie01 (United States) published:

Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia: Truly a Treasure

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

You know that a book has captured your heart when you cry while reading it.  The teenage contemporary Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia is a book that recently captured my heart.  Offline, Eliza Mirk is a friendless high school student who has become known to her peers as the “school weirdo”.  Online, she is “LadyConstellation”, the anonymous creator of one of the internet’s most read web-comics, Monstrous Sea.  As she finishes her final year of high school,...

Default avatar user icon

caitieb (United States) published:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is a book about an orphan boy who lives with his aunt and uncle and is severely mistreated. He finds his home at  Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. He along with his two best friends Ron, and  Hermione get into all sorts of adventures trying to protect Harry from Sirius Black, an escaped prisoner from the  worlds worst wizarding jail, Azkaban.
     I would recommend this book whole heartily....

Seeking Peer Reviews

7fdfc9e11c9391632b10eca98665fe0f

lindz_the_nerd (United States) published:

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
“If love is like a possession, maybe my letters are like my exorcisms”~Lara Jean Song Covey
    What would you do if intimate love letters to your crushes, which you nevermeant to mail, were sent out? Lara Jean Song Covey has loved five boys—Peter Kavinsky, her first kiss; Josh Sanderson, the boy next door; John Ambrose McClaren, Peter's shadow; Lucas Krapf, the writer; and Kenny Donati from camp—,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Artsy shot
2

justmar (United States) published:

The Little Prince: growing up without forgetting

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I have lived my whole life with the anticipation of finally growing up and becoming an adult, but when faced with events that other people have deemed as my "entrance to adulthood," all I have to say is I want to go back. Antoine de Saint-Exupery, the author of the well known novella The Little Prince, seems to be in agreement with me. I first read The Little Prince when I was seven or eight years old, and looking only...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Artsy shot

justmar (United States) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Trees, man, trees (United States) published:

Dear Evan Hansen

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"It's better to burn out, right, than to fade away." Dear Evan Hansen, a novel written alongside the award winning musical Dear Evan Hansen was written by Val Emmich, Benj Pasek, Justin Paul, and Steven Levenson. This novel heavily alludes to messages such as suicide and depression, but in no way glorifies them. This was a major plus I found while reading, as I've seen a lot of media in the past that has. instead of being a sad novel...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Elizabeth F (United States) published:

Throne of Glass

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

So, imagine that you are the most famous assassin in the world, but no one knows what you look like. Though one day everything goes up in flames, your best friend dies, you are betrayed by someone close to you, and you're captured by the royal guard, and sent to a slave camp. Then, after about one to two years, you are called forth to the crowned prince. 
    This is where we start off from, in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Lindsey Huebner (United States) published:

Harry Potter Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

When i was 11 i had something magical happen to me i was introduced to the Harry Potter book series. I had many peopl tell me about these books but i had never read them so one day i said i am going to read it and i did. I couldn’t put it down i was absolutely obsessed. I love the Harry Potter series for a few reasons, i love the characters, i love the story plots and i love the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Win 20181207 12 21 01 pro
2

BigWriterBoy (United States) published:

Of Mice And Men

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Book Review: Of Mice And men

Looking for a great adventure book? Well the book, Of Mice And Men, is a phenomenal addition to the works of John Steinbeck. It’s an adventure book about two unlikely friends, George a wise, but scrawny man and Lennie, a huge, burley man that does whatever George tells him, but he isn’t too bright, who met after Lennie’s aunt died and George promised her, he would take care of Lennie for her...

Default avatar user icon

Baxter (United States) published:

Far from the tree

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Far from the tree is a wonderful read that I would recommend to any high school student. This book is filled with many joyful, exuberant, heartbreaking moments that a family faces together. In this book, you get the opportunity to get to know three of the main characters and their stories in foster care, after foster care, how they are doing in their current families, and how they found each other. This book truly is a page-turner and hard to put...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Meneame media link 34136

A Breath Into Silence (United States) published:

Runemarks by Joanne Harris

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

"Seven o’clock on a Monday morning, five hundred years after the end of the world, and goblins had been at the cellar again. . . "  Don't tell the Norse gods that. Why? Because they've disappeared without a trace. The world is now controlled by a group known as the Order, who does not tolerate imaginative storytelling, anything pertaining to the old histories of the Nine Realms, or dreams. Especially not the kinds of dreams that become realized and turned...
Seeking Peer Reviews

43053085 734108520271539 3791915422886620100 n

Saadia (United States) published:

On the Come Up: Defying Stereotypes and Chasing Your Dreams

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“Who are you? Of the millions and billions of people in the world, you’re the only one who can say who you are with authority. So, who are you?”

Angie Thomas' new novel, On the Come Up, was released earlier this month, but for anyone who has had the chance to read this breathtaking masterpiece, it most likely hasn't left your mind since. This contemporary novel gives readers a much-needed breath of fresh air. Thomas, best known for...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Saadia (United States) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Riza Hawkeye (Canada) published:

Before Midnight - Not Your Average Cinderella Story

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The tale of Cinderella has been told and re-told so many times - from the earliest fable written by Charles Perrault, to Disney’s famous film, along with numerous adaptations between - that it can be hard to select a favourite. However, even with all these choices, my number one pick would be Before Midnight, by Cameron Dokey. A quick note: this book is set in France, so Cinderella is called Cendrillon.
Right off the bat, the author begins with something...

Unknown

logineelhadad (Egypt) published:

Book Review: Climbing the Stairs

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

What if your only dream was forbidden? The main character of the book, “Climbing The Stairs” by Adam Venkatraman, is Vidya. Vidya’s only dream was to go to college. Unfortunately, her Indian culture believed that women were meant to get married, not educated. Throughout the whole book Vidya struggles with real life, puzzling problems in India. This book is a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Dear Evan Hansen

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews