All writing published for Book Review Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Darth vader 6bda9114

Natalia Kinglan (Mexico) published:

Spirit's Key by Edith Cohn

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

This book was amazing. It's about a girl who's dog is murdered by someone on the island, but she doesn't know that yet and  her dad can miraculously tell the future by holding that person's key. Still trying to get over the trauma of losing her dog to an unknown killer, Spirit (the 12-year-old-girl) suddenly feels something brush her leg. 
He's invisible. He's alive. He's a ghost. A spirit. But it's him. 
Spirit's dog, Sky, is a wolf, tamed. But...

Default avatar user icon

Smileyrainbow (United States) published:

Five Feet Apart Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Book Review- 5 Feet Apart
This book is definitely a must read! To give a quick summary of the plot, Seventeen-year-old Stella spends most of her time in the hospital as a cystic fibrosis patient (CF). Her life is full of routines, boundaries and self-control. All of those get put to the test when she meets Will, an impossibly charming boy who has the same illness. There's an instant flirtation, though restrictions dictate that they must maintain a safe distance between...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

ToxicAvenger362 (United States) published:

Crank Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Have you ever wondered how drugs can destroy your home and family? They are very bad for your health and can tear families apart. The book Crank by Ellen Hopkins is an amazing book that tells a true story about how a young girl got addicted to Methamphetamines also known as meth, crystal meth, and crank. Meth is a powerful addictive stimulant that can be smoked, snorted, eaten, or injected.
Kristina was the girl's name, her other side being Bree....

Default avatar user icon
1

Jesus E Soltero (United States) published:

Black Klansman

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Black Klansman
A reflection of a memoir

My first exposure of the black Klansman was when I was scrolling through YouTube, and found the movie trailer, though I didn’t know at the time that it was based on a true story. I simply disregarded it as a comedy, of a regular black man who somehow accidentally joins the KKK, and hilarious hijinks ensues. I kept this perspective when I, needing a book to write a book review for...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Black Klansman

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Black Klansman
A reflection of a memoir

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

thechosenonemico (Philippines) published:

Smaller and Smaller Circles: Baring unsettling Third World idiosyncrasies

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Priding itself with a historic feat in Philippine literature, F.H Batacan’s debut novel Smaller and Smaller Circles merits distinction with its emergence as the first serial crime novel in the country, exploring rarely tackled themes with new yet evocative treatment. However, its literary brilliance does not lie solely in its newness: it excels in its timeless sociopolitical relevance, daringly portraying a nuanced crime-fiction mystery in a Third World country plagued with revolting injustice, corruption, and systemic apathy.

The sea of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hotel das cataratas by
7
1

Silver Pen (United States) published:

The Bible: A Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Bible usually isn't seen as a story -- more as a compilation of sermons or as a textbook.  But it's so much more: a bold and beautiful history of the Creator's romance with mankind.
    It begins at the very beginning with this assertion:
    "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."
    Not "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light, and I can prove it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Sarah Wahba (Egypt) published:

Book Review: The Sky is Everywhere

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Vivacious, buoyant, romantic; these are the words that describe The Sky is Everywhere, Jandy Nelson’s phenomena of a book. If you’re looking for a vibrant character to live a teenage life through, then I definitely recommend this YA novel. The story talks about the life of Lennie, the girl who suffers pain after the death of her sister Bailey. Lennie, named after John Lennon the pianist, is no ordinary girl. We see her develop into this bright, lively teenager throughout...

Grapes  the
1

Legendary Grapes (United States) published:

Reviews That Get Reviewed

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

First Book Series: The Land Of Stories, Chris Colfer
  Alex and Conner Bailey are introduced to a world of magic and fairy tales. They go through a series of exciting adventures, dangerous encounters, and troubling situations. This book series is very creative, imaginative, and a well thought through story. Many nail-biting cliffhangers make you want to read more, and more, and more. I fully recommend this six-book series for people who are still in love with fairy tales, and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 20160722 122821
1

EAurora (United Kingdom) published:

'The Weather in Kansas' - Crista Ermiya

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Weather in Kansas is a collection of short stories, but it’s more than that. It’s a pattern of lives, an explosion of tales from the very edges of the world. Through her bold, fascinating characters and their vast expanse of lives and loves, Crista Ermiya is able to truthfully bring the whole world – the joyous and the lonely, the mundane and the fantastical, the real and the imaginary – into dizzying perspective.

I’ll admit, starting the book I was...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Clarissa Pantoja (United States) published:

2 A.M thoughts

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The potato flew. 

Wallpaper2you 179776

katherine k (United States) published:

Unapologetic Honesty and Modern Femininity in "The Dud Avocado"

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I had lived my entire life thinking I was the only person whose thoughts and interior monologues were not directly parallel to what I said out loud. Despite the narcissism in this sentiment, it hit me as a torturous responsibility to feel completely isolated in having a multifaceted thought process. This rang true until the summer of 2018, when for the first time, I read Elaine Dundy’s The Dud Avocado. While this novel holds great personal value to me, I would...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Wallpaper2you 179776

katherine k (United States) published:

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

Dae6ae0a 91af 4d6e aa2a 4cb45a2ddd4a

Omar El Eraki (Egypt) published:

“Boys Without Names” Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The sense of character and uniqueness that a name gives us is at the core of why names intrigue us and why they are critical to us as human beings. In the book "Boys Without Names"composed by Kashmira Sheth, Eleven-year-old Gopal and his family leave their provincial Indian town for a promising and better  life with his uncle in Mumbai, but when they arrive his dad disappears and Gopal winds up secured a sweatshop from which there is...

0a75ad51 390d 4fa5 ab46 1737f734866a

Aithy Nguyen (United States) published:

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“Living everyday in the presence of those who refuse to acknowledge your humanity takes great courage.”

— Min Jin Lee
    Pachinko

With detailed and moving writing, Min Jin Lee weaves a historical tale of love, compassion, and endurance in the face of adversity in her book Pachinko. In this novel, we follow four generations of a Korean family starting from the early 1900’s to the late 1900’s, where Koreans were being oppressed by their Japanese counterparts. There is...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Yousif Mansy (Egypt) published:

"Animal Farm" Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

“Animal Farm” is a classic allegory written by George Orwell and was published in 1945. It dives deep into the ideas of communism and Marxism ideology and how any person with too much power will always become corrupt. It shows the hypocrisy of many of the world leaders and how they turn against their own ideology just to further enhance their agenda.
In “Animal Farm” the animals grow sick and tired of the owner of their farm Mr Jones, they...

Default avatar user icon
1

arantzan (United States) published:

Book Review: Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The moral of the end of this precious novel leaves me feeling special in the sense that I almost feel grateful for all that I have. The main character, Minli, chooses for her only question for the Old Man of the Moon to be if she can help her now well-known friend, Dragon, to live. It raises the question, “why?” Why would she choose to help a hurting friend instead of a hurting family? Seeing as the question was an...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

sroberts21 (United States) published:

Red Dragon Book Review

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

Red Dragon by Thomas Harris is a psychological thriller that follows FBI agent Will Graham's chase for a serial killer labeled The Tooth Fairy. The book isn't so much for scaring yourself senseless, although it will make heading to the fridge for a midnight snack a much more intense experience, but more for the purpose of analyzing the psychology behind a murderer. The book takes you into the damaged past of the murderer Francis Dolarhyde, all while following his current...

Putin rides a bear

Simon Graf (United States) published:

The Martian: A Hilarious Story of A Man Almost Getting Killed

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Martian is a book that is hard to describe. It is certainly funny but it has serious moments. It has math but it isn’t a textbook. It is good for anyone who is interested in engineering and science but doesn’t want the story to be bogged down by equations. The science is one of the best things about this book, but the plot is no slacker.
    The book covers the story of an astronaut named Mark Watney, who after...

Default avatar user icon

matthew_f0408 (United States) published:

my book

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

MY BOOK

The book I am talking about is The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian this is a book by Sherman Alexie. it has a lot of dark humor and some depressing stuff in it but it is also motivational because you get to read about what he went thru and how he made it
So it is a great book for comedy and drama 
This book is from the point of  and Indian boy named Arnold and...

Default avatar user icon
1

mcreached (United States) published:

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn -- A Review and Exaltation

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

I stopped reading after I began high school. Up until last week, it'd been three years since I felt a book spine between my fingers according to my own interests and not because of my English teachers. Then, a couple days ago, with all of the biology projects, college applications, and math assignments mounting to a towering heap of ineffable responsibility and anxiety, I grabbed a book I bought a few years back but never read. "A Tree Grows In...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

AndFlo337 (United States) published:

Friendship, Loyalty, and Espionage a book review of ‘Code Name Verity’ by Andy Flores

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

A ‘Code Name Verity’ was written by Elizabeth E. Wein.  It was originally published on May 15, 2012. The story is told through two characters who are both best friends that are living through World War II.  The two main characters Julie and Maddie, love each other very much. It takes place in Nazi-occupied France during the late 1930s and early 1940s.  The book is in the historical fiction genre. The story is split in two; the first part is...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

MarOla337 (United States) published:

WE ALL NEED SOMEBODY, a book review of The War That Saved My Life by Maritzha Olaez

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The book “The War that Saved My Life”  was written by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley and was published on January 8, 2015.  The book features different characters, all with different personalities, such as the main character, Ada,  her mother, Jamie, and the woman that was forced to take care of them ,Susan Smith,
    Ada’s story is a completely different story. Ada was born with a  twisted foot and can’t walk for the life of her. She lives with her mother in...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

ZitCan337 (United States) published:

THE PRICE OF PERSEVERANCE a book review of ‘The Hunger Games’ by Zitlali Cantoran

PROMPT: Book Review Competition 2019

The Hunger Games is a dystopian young adult fiction book by Suzanne Collins, copyright 2008.  It is the first book in the Hunger Games Trilogy. The main characters are Katniss Everdeen, Peeta Mellark, Haymitch Abernathy. In the story the main character Katniss puts her life at risk to save her sister’s life when she volunteers for the Hunger Games.  The story takes place in a futuristic society divided into 12 regions, each used for a unique purpose to serve the...

Seeking Peer Reviews