This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

The Vistas Beyond

Full Details

In her essay “The Moth,” author Virgina Woolf writes about her life behind a chosen window, as well as the outer world that she witnesses through that window. Notice in the following excerpt how Woolf crafts an entire vista in just three sentences:

“The plough was already scoring the field opposite the window, and where the share had been, the earth was pressed flat and gleamed with moisture. Such vigour came rolling in from the fields and the down beyond that it was difficult to keep the eyes strictly turned upon the book. The rooks too were keeping one of their annual festivities; soaring round the tree tops until it looked as if a vast net with thousands of black knots in it had been cast up into the air; which, after a few moments sank slowly down upon the trees until every twig seemed to have a knot on it” (1).

For this prompt, dear writers, we invite you to do the same: In three sentences, write about life as seen from your chosen window, as eleiker does here. Do you peer out at a field? A street? A neighboring building? The ocean? If you open your window, what do you hear? What do you smell on the breeze? Does the view from your window change from morning to night? From season to season? From year to year? Check out WtW member eleiker's beautiful response to help get you started.

The original inspiration for this prompt came from Thea Engzen