All writing published for Film Review Competition 2019. See Competition

Published writing

Default avatar user icon

Caitlan McLerran (United States) published:

Escape Room: A Deadly Mix of Puzzles and Your Deepest Fears

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

When looking for a good horror movie to delve into I often steer toward concepts of the paranormal, or what our world would look like in an apocalyptic fashion. Escape Room, though, took a spin on horror and placed it in a setting that we would least expect. Escape Room, as the title most obviously gives away is a horror film placed inside the twists and turns of, well, an escape room. Escape rooms have...

10 minutes ago

Default avatar user icon
1

DCNorman (United States) published:

Pulsate to the Beat: Whiplash Movie Review

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

A lone drummer stands at the end of a long dark hallway, tearing apart a drum kit. The audience and I are immediately entranced by the beat, as if our hearts had begun to pulsate in time with the quick thumps. The camera draws closer, then suddenly the drummer stops and gets up quickly and apologetically. Finally, the long take ends, and we cut to the teacher named Fletcher. Dressed all in black, and covered in shadows, he seems to...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 11 hours ago

Default avatar user icon

Eunicorn (Australia) published:

"Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse"

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

"With great power comes great responsibility" better and repetitive words could not have been said by actor Shameik Moore or as we know him in "Spider man: Into the Spider verse" Miles Morales. In this new and improved reboot of Spider Man we get what we've been missing in all the other Spidey movies -fun. Gone is the weight those words hold, gone is the serious Peter Parker, now we have Miles Morales a teenager most teens all over the globe...
Seeking Peer Reviews

about 12 hours ago

Default avatar user icon

jack.julow (United States) published:

"Vox Lux" Embraces Pop Music in Its Hatred for It

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

Director Brady Corbet’s (The Childhood of a Leader) offers one of the ambitious takes on the music industry with Vox Lux. Starring Natalie Portman (Black Swan)  and Jude Law (, Vox Lux examines a damaged woman become a pop star in an increasingly complex world. Natalie Portman acts amazingly as the damaged Celeste after suffering tragedy, while Celeste’s manager (Jude Law) leads her on her journey to pop stardom.

Vox Lux opens with a bloody...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 13 hours ago

Default avatar user icon
1

bostonographer (United States) published:

Story of Bravery and Sacrifice

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

Thomas Dunn- Student Writer

Story of Bravery and Sacrifice
Recently I had the pleasure of viewing, “13 Hours The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi”, directed by Michael Bay. The Movie recreated the attacks of September 11, 2012, in which during that time the CIA held a secret base in Benghazi. In this base, there was a Global Response Staff or GRS who were in charge of taking care of small revolts and keeping the ambassador safe. Ambassador...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 15 hours ago

20180803 042213 0

evaevic_123 (Croatia) published:

Black and white is the new Technicolor (“Roma”, dir. A. Cuarón)

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

Unfulfilling sequels, safe choices of recycling childhood memories and distasteful Oscar baits- 2018 hasn’t been much different from what we’ve experienced in the past decade. However, it seems to be particularly bad this year when the award for best picture appears to belong to “Mission Impossible: Fallout”; the film which promises action and lives up to the expectations beat per beat. Tom Cruise had almost won the race but came in second. An unexpected competition took the lead- ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 16 hours ago

Dsc 3941
3

Ambitiously, Em (United States) published:

Somehow, A Sinking Ship Stays Afloat: A Review Of Aquaman

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

Directed by James Wan, Aquamanis another film in DC's ever-expanding Justice League series. The film was predicted to flop, but it never did - instead, it hit a billion at the box office less a month after its initial release. When it hits international theaters, it is expected to continue in growth... but why? The film lacks depth and relies on old superhero movie tropes that we’ve gotten used to by now (random slow-mo reminiscent of 2008, wisecrack jokes...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 22 hours ago

Picture?width=64&height=64

Nathan Brooks (United Kingdom) published:

The Favourite review - a scathingly strange study of ruling-class absurdity

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

It’s tempting to compare The Favourite, the latest film from Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos, to the current state of world leadership. This pitch-black comedy of manners is set in the court of 18th-century monarch Queen Anne and follows a ruthless power struggle for influence over the almost pathetically inept ruler. It plays fast and loose with history, but the no-holds-barred commentary on the grisly absurdity of the ruling classes rings true, especially when considering the people in power right...

about 24 hours ago

Default avatar user icon

Carson Loveless 79 (STUDENT) (Canada) published:

a letter to Justin

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

dear Justin boogie I know you have more birthdays to come and I know you are 38 years old and I will be waiting for you on my graduation in 2021 and also I will have to go to school and I have a friend named Brett Osmond who has diabetes and I also miss you too and Brock always laughs at me and I also want to meet you this year and that's all

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

Default avatar user icon

Dox55 (Singapore) published:

Iron Man 3 - Worst of the Trilogy?

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

The seventh installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), Iron Man 3, has enraged and disappointed Iron Man fans across the globe. Despite grossing over $1.2 billion in the box office, Iron Man 3 has taken a brutal beating critically, and some even go as far as to call the film the worse of the Iron Man trilogy. But in the immortal words of Thor from Thor: Ragnarok, is it though?

Now, I’m sure you’ve probably already...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

Default avatar user icon
1

Graeme Holland (United States) published:

The Black Panther Film Review

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

Millions of years ago, a vibranium asteroid hit Africa, changing the surrounding area. Wakanda is formed in this area from five tribes. They fight for the land and the Vibranium. One warrior receives a vision from the panther goddess bast, learning of the heart-shaped herb. This is the story of T’challa, who we already know from Captain America Civil War. His father, T'chaka, was the kind of Wakanda and died in the UN explosion. It follows him becoming king, and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

Default avatar user icon

BigMike61 (United States) published:

Black Panther (2018) movie review

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

While “Black Panther” suffers from an overusage of lackluster cgi (especially in its over bloated 3rd act), director Ryan Coogler has directed a truly special superhero movie. For one, the acting all across the board is fantastic, Chadwick Boesman owns his role as T’challa/Black Panther, Danai Gurira completely sells the physical and mental strength her character (Okoye) required, Andy Serkis steals every scene he’s in with his insane charisma and the obvious fun he was having playing that character, but...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

Screenshot 2019 01 16 at 12.21.27 am
3

cosmiclatte (United States) published:

Experiencing a Torturous Serenity in A Quiet Place

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

John Krasinski’s horror film, A Quiet Place, is a visual masterpiece that artfully plays with the elemental fears of the audience in a way that’s as original as it is scary -- all in the horror genre so often built on infuriating clichés and meretricious techniques. It’s becoming more and more apparent that many modern horror movies are mired in quotidian details, relying all too often on the timeliness of sudden music to elicit fear from the audience or...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

Default avatar user icon
1

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

When looking for a good horror movie to delve into I often steer toward concepts of the paranormal, or what our world would look like in an apocalyptic fashion. Escape Room, though, took a spin on horror and placed it in a setting of least expectance. 
            “Escape Room” is a horror film directed by Adam Robitel and produced by Neal H. Moritz. It’s cast includes Deborah Ann Woll, Taylor Russell, Logan Miller, Jay Ellis, Nik...

Default avatar user icon
2

Wu.Z (Ireland) published:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier brings a chill to the Marvel franchise.

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

Captain America: The Winter Soldier brings a chill to the Marvel franchise.

Captain America : The Winter Solider takes place after the events of the 9th highest grossing movie The Avengers. 
It centres around Steve Rogers aka Captain America (Chris Evans) as he struggles to adjust to modern life and the changing principles and values that juxtaposes his black and white viewpoint. While such a character would appear on paper as tiresome, Rogers is endearing and we can easily...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
2

Mary Fletcher (United States) published:

Bohemian Rhapsody: The Legend Lives On

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

Freddie Mercury is widely considered a legend in the rock world, ranking next to such greats as Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, and even Robert Plant. When anyone has a conversation about the best frontman in rock, Freddie’s name is often the first to be mentioned. Bryan Singer has brilliantly portrayed the band’s story in his film, Bohemian Rhapsody, without mythologizing them. So often, rock biopics shy away from portraying the human side of the band or the artist, but...

Screenshot 2019 01 16 at 12.21.27 am
3

cosmiclatte (United States) published:

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

Seeking Peer Reviews

81483eb4 7562 4ef7 8fb0 5f038e2cc53f
1

Georgia Hawthorne (New Zealand) published:

The modern works of Miyazaki

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

“The creation of a single world comes from a huge number of fragments and chaos.”
― Hayao Miyazaki

Hayao Miyazaki is a visionary director who, since 1963,has earned himself the title as one of the most recognisable auteur directors working in animation in both his native Japan and the West. Miyazaki’s films have distinct characteristics ranging from his portrayal of femininity and power, his use of hand drawn animation and ambiguous villains. I have chosen Spirited Away (2001) and Howl's...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Picture?width=64&height=64
4

johnny b (Ireland) published:

Avengers Infinity War

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

When I was six years old, I saw a film called “Iron Man.” It was a simple, self-contained story that hinted at something much better to come. I was blown away. Four years and four films later, Marvel released “The Avengers” – a film I felt was the biggest celebration of being a nerd I had ever seen. After that film came greater standalone Marvel films, “The Winter Soldier” being my favorite. Unfortunately, after those films, there was another “Avengers”...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

AbbeyBarnes (New Zealand) published:

Dumplin': A Story Of Hope, Humor, And Acceptance.

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

As far as successful films go, an all-star cast and a powerful message is a great place to start. Dumplin', directed by Anne Fletcher, is a musical dramedy that features both of these and more. Showcasing big names and rising stars, 'Dumplin'' presents a cast like no other. Notable actors and actresses include the timeless Jennifer Aniston, the rising-star Danielle Macdonald, and the beloved Bex Taylor-Klaus. Of course, this cast list wouldn't be complete without the talented Odeya Rush, the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
3

Dox55 (Singapore) published:

Iron Man 3 - Worst of the Trilogy?

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

The seventh installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), Iron Man 3, has enraged and disappointed Iron Man fans across the globe. Despite grossing over $1.3 billion in the box office, Iron Man 3 has taken a brutal beating critically, and some even go as far as to call the film the worse of the Iron Man trilogy. But in the immortal words of Thor from Thor: Ragnarok, is it though?

Seeking Peer Reviews

Logomakr 1w4pgb
2

LyraLynne (United States) published:

The Ocean and its Moon: A Review of Call Me By Your Name

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

The power of the ocean wave is undeniable. The crashing on the shore, the draw back into the deep. Of course, what would the tide be without the moon to guide it? Call Me By Your Name, from director Luca Guadagnino is a masterpiece of a story about an ocean and its moon. With big names providing heartwrenching, impeccable performances, this romance is not one you're likely to forget. Plus its Oscar for Best Writing Adapted Screenplay might...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

hannahismusical (United States) published:

Stand By Me- How It Stuck With Me

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

1959 in Castlerock, Oregon seemed lifetimes away. The small town had changed since Gordie Lachance, our narrator, was young. Yet the heart of his home remained. "There were only twelve hundred and eighty-one people," he reflects. "But to me, it was the whole world."

As the classic Ben E. King song that gave the movie its title rolls in softly, the now middle-aged man sits in his car reading a newspaper. A man from his past, Chris Chambers, has recently...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hot air balloon drawing
1

chethana (United States) published:

Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse - A New Story About An Old Hero

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

The animation style of Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse wasn’t the only thing that made it an amazing movie. With comedy that me genuinely laugh and heart throbbing moments that had me shocked and afraid, this movie surpassed all of my expectations.
    Miles Morales, voiced by Shameik Moore, gains superpowers when he is bitten by a radioactive spider, just like most of the other Spidermen. One of them, a spider, was actually bitten by a radioactive pig!  When Kingpin conducts an...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Gallery soaps neighbours kylie minogue

muppet (United States) published:

Jolene: Showcasing Life At Its Lowest and Highest

PROMPT: Film Review Competition 2019

Sometimes, movies are forgotten and not talked about for good reason. Jolene, released in 2008, is no such case. While nearly nobody seems to remember Jolene, this movie hit me where it hurt. Although I watched it weeks ago, it has been on my mind ever since. The masterfully-chosen songs have found their way onto my playlist, and I've even developed a newfound respect for the lead actress, Jessica Chastain. Prior to watching Jolene, I never thought...

Seeking Peer Reviews