All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2018. See Competition

Published writing

Meneame media link 34136

A Breath Into Silence (United States) published:

Fate of Stars

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Polaris Terra Dolosus had never truly liked her uncle, even before she had entered the Court of the Stars. He was a seedy man, with a long willowy frame and two sharp black eyes. On his hands sat ten spindled fingers that had the habit of tapping against anything he could find. And, as if to prove a point, the crown he wore upon his head was ill-suited for such a skull as his. It looked stranded on the long...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Picture?width=64&height=64
1

Lucy Murray (United Kingdom) published:

Vampires of Dundee

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Aeric Landon was doing something everyone always said you shouldn’t do. Searching his strange and confusing symptoms on google, because quite frankly he had never been so confused. It had started on Sunday, day two of freshers and his first full day at his new university, when he had woken with the worst cold he had ever had, bedridden for the day. A migraine was carving his skull hollow, nose blocked to the point he couldn’t breathe, and throat on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ac7f4ad9 fc3c 47c4 98ad b97540f9e732
1

czhang (United States) published:

Soup Dumpling

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Steam was still radiating off of the dumplings as they rested gently on the woven floor of the bamboo basket like raindrops on the roof of a car. 
    “So how are we supposed to eat this?” I asked my dad, who had already gingerly scooped a dumpling into the cradle of his flat ceramic ladle. 
    “Like this.” He said. He held his chopsticks in the hand opposite to the one tightly clenching the ladle, pinching...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

shahdd (Egypt) published:

Utopia

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Mornings in Utopia always made for a picturesque view. With the sun high up in the sky, you could feel the warmth it emitted even through the window in Aaliyah Woods’ room. Bees flew past it, and their low menacing buzz was distinct in the strange silence of the city.

Aaliyah began to stir as she turned under the thick blankets on her bed. She pushed the blanket aside and rolled out of the bed, getting on her feet in...

Default avatar user icon
2

janem530 (United States) published:

Sunflower Stains

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Achilles
    We should have just sold this car.
    (It is Friday, the forty-fourth Saturday of the year.)
I really kind of sort of hate driving, so what’s the point of owning a car? Whenever I drive, I carry this fear that I hit somebody. It could be an animal or a pedestrian or a child. I keep having to get out of the car and make sure that I didn’t hit anyone. Then I have to drive around...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Moon and clouds sky
2
1

sofiabmsw (United States) published:

Behind Closed Doors

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

The key in my hand, silver and small, slipped perfectly into the keyhole. I took a deep breath and turned it. The door opened with a click and swung open, revealing a large, extravagant staircase, winding up to the next floor. It was so familiar, yet so distant to me. Pillars holding melted or strangely-shaped candles lined the side. Once, they carried beautiful candles of golden flames. Now, they’re misshapen and dusty. This house brought back too many painful memories....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
2

Vishal Vaheesan (United States) published:

Which Side Shall I Choose? By Vishal Vaheesan

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

I walk every step struggling and agonizing. I can see the end! Oh…no ! It is just the reflection of the water. I look back, but I can’t see the start either. That’s right I was human, but what did I do to be here? I try to walk back, but I just can’t. I just have to keep moving forward. I just want to reach the shore… I just want to reach the shore and watch the beautiful sunshine...

4ad1be4b 273f 41e4 881d f0b108889a3b
4

Mavis G. (Australia) published:

The Longing, Lamenting Life of Lucinda-Anne

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

The sky, grey and cloudy, hung over her shoulders. The tantalising pause before a storm hung in the air, just above her head, as she walked down the street. The cracked, old path, worn through by decades of down-trodden pedestrians was a well-known route. Every crevice, drop and hill ingrained as if that was all she knew. It might as well have been. Her feet kicked up the pebbles as she walked, ever onwards, forwards, to her destination.

Lucinda-Anne...

Default avatar user icon
1

SarahStar (Australia) published:

The Assassin

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

2050      Hospital of Female.  The sound of new life, like off tuned instruments,
dominated the baby blue room with at the end, tow big wooden pained windows,
letting in the afternoon sun. Though hearing the clattering of mix sounds that errata’s your ear drums, there always seems to be that one instrument, that one sound that picks over the others. 
With a newly mother propped up in her bed, with her tiredness over taking her so unable to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Natalie Swift (India) published:

Shades of Me.

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Prologue 

The clock struck midnight and she was gone. There was no spark of light, no crackle in the air, not a single silver shoe left behind. She had simply vanished when just the second before, she was here.

Her arms had hung limply at her side, breath held in, eyes fixed on the clock as it ticked, closer, closer.

11:57

11:58

11:59

Voila.

And now, I stand here, in the very place that she relinquished, breathing in the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Screen shot 2019 05 21 at 5.00.08 pm
3

BeTheChange18 (Japan) published:

Swallow

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

SSSSFFFFPH! My jaw reclined back into position as I swallowed the saliva with great satisfaction. It had been sitting in my mouth for ages and was turning lukewarm because I needed to eat. I was waiting for two words. "Let's eat" he spoke as we grabbed our knife and fork ready to fill our stomachs. I saw what was in front of me and pushed the hatred down, reminding myself of why I was here. I heard cutlery clinking and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

B86769f5 d79f 42ea aaeb e09c28a9fe64
9

clos (United States) published:

A Sky's Fiery Hope

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

The endless sky above showcased a tedious world of possibilities, all overlooking the monochrome world around me. My life had no worth going forward, only small events could trigger a delicate hope in me. Melancholic reflections went ramped throughout my mind, I sighed, as I trudged along. This beautiful world only brought more problems in the future for the existential dread of my intolerance to not act on my issues. To attempt to forget, I figured I would attend a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Lolicap141 (Belgium) published:

The End Or The Beginning

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

I looked down at the water twisting and sinking deeper into the ground. I got so panicked I threw it there without even thinking about it.
I didn’t know what to do.
The water was back to its normal level and that little piece of plastic had now disappeared. That piece of plastic that would change my whole life.
I sunk into the ground on the ice-cold tiles of the bathroom.
I thought I was about to throw up. Again....
Seeking Peer Reviews

B3pzz7ncmaelsoo 11 1024x576
1

PorOKio (United Kingdom) published:

The Lost Angel

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

The jagged peaks of the Lake District stood wreathed in darkness beneath Esdel as he soared through the night sky on wings of light. His harsh countenance and greying beard suggested a man in his early forties, but his violet eyes held the wisdom of an ageless eternal.
It had been a successful night. The Legion had never seen them coming and they had overpowered the guards in short order, releasing them from their service to the Regent, and had...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3d4201a2 d5c3 42b9 9ab8 587f27695839
1

engraving.words (United States) published:

Ielidon's Curse

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Warmth was often understood as a forgotten luxury to those who dwelled on Ielidon’s frozen moon. I2 was its technical name, but the common folk regarded it as Ielidon’s Curse. Whether it was the fact that the moon was flipped on its side according to the galactic plane or that Ielidon itself was a gas giant, I2 was a cursed world. Its icy poles were considered the ‘habitable zones’ of the large world, as its equator only ever saw the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

alliwrites (United States) published:

Revolutionary

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

November 1st, 1793
New York City
        Charles Ainsworth had an almost hedonistic way of life, with his fat, constantly smoking cigars and his never-ending influx of European fashions. His mansion was home to weekly salon parties, where men almost as rich as Charles, though never close enough for competition, lounged on velvet couches and droned on about the endless struggles of their pampered, scandal-filled lives. Every month or so their monotonous complaining would be interrupted by an argument over...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

ghoulishly (United States) published:

Kore in Paradise

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

“Gently now,” Rorn breathed heavily, knobbed hands holding a bulb of purplish fruit. “See this, Eme?” Crow’s foot wrinkles at the corner of his eyes folded like origami. Another one of his warm, crooked smiles.
    “Mm,” I nodded. “Does picking it hurt?”
    “As much as storm or wind,” he chuckled, “so not at all. I’m strong. My roots run deep.” His body rattled heartily, settling into the divots of his pine, intrinsically belonging to him. “Now,” he...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Alison Daley (United States) published:

Love Kills

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

I always was a little quiet. I’m not sure why, I just am. My name is Jaysen Tallk. I’m twenty two and I have a younger sister named Lilli. She’s a senior in high school. And my best friend is Cera. She’s twenty one. Her and Lilli get along really well too. She’s like a big sister to her. She’s only a few months younger than me. We’ve been friends since freshman year in high school. Lilli has always...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Dsc 3077
2

Victoria Penning (United States) published:

Evidence for Angels

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

“I said get your **** over here!”
Abbie flinched as her father screamed at her from the house, the Autumn air having little to do with her shiver. She trudged back from the mailbox, dreading what she had to do. Again. She reached the door and braced herself for the blow. He raised his arm and it flew toward her face. She jumped back as it swung across her, then flew forward and jumped around him. She wrapped her arm...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Kate Livewire (Philippines) published:

Dreaming of Jason

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Card 1, In Which There Is Sweet Sadness

Close contact, small touch.
You have to go, you're moving. 
To a new place, leave.
My heart hurts to see you packing.
Maybe you know how I feel, maybe you don't.
That will be my punishment for not telling you.
I hug you tightly from your back.
You smile at the mirror to me, assuring, loving.
And inside, my heart swells with sadness and sweetness at your smile, knowing it will be...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Natalie Swift (India) published:

Shades of Me.

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Prologue 

The clock struck midnight and she was gone. There was no spark of light, no crackle in the air, not a single silver shoe left behind. She had simply vanished when just the second before, she had lived.

11:57

11:58

11:59

Voila.

And now, I stood there, in the very place that she’d relinquished, breathing in the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
2

lucycurtis (United States) published:

Woodsmoke - Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

He probably would have slept forever, had he not been laying on the beach, of all places. But Max despisedthe feeling of sand between his toes or fingers. It almost seemed like bugs were crawling all over him, finding their way under his fingernails and into his bloodstream. Slowly it scratched him awake, and with horror he furiously blinked it away from his eyes. He felt it clinging to every last centimeter of skin, which he was about ready...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Th
3

TheCellistAuthor (United States) published:

The Elven Kingdom excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

When David opened his eyes, he found himself on a very comfortable bed in a very elaborate room. He sat up and looked around. Vein-like lines swirled all across the wall. Each flowing with pulsing energy. Outside were people with pointy ears and pointy hats. This has got to be where the elves live, thought David. Right then he noticed bright green eyes watching him from a few feet away. They belonged to a tall elf lady with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1200 6965 lotus flower photo1

Z.Bunzigiye (Canada) published:

She'll Be Okay

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Aïda opens up her sticky eyes. She awakens to soft morning light sifted through her translucent curtains. Her arm bumps something, someone, fast asleep next to her. 'Better not wake her up', she sluggishly thinks as she fumbles out of bed and goes to use the bathroom.

As she brushes her teeth, takes a shower and does her morning routine, there is a pit growing in her stomach. It's Monday morning and this is just another day. She feels anxious...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 2456
2

xusianna (United States) published:

Queen of Hearts

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

That night, she sold her heart off to that charming boy and forever lost it. Under the full moon, she wept for the love she never had, for the love that never was, for the love that will never be. Her tears ran rivers down her face until she had no more and could only lay there tangled in the flimsy gossamer shawl. Silently shaking. Exhausted. She had escaped from her tower only to be trapped by the wall....

Seeking Peer Reviews