All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2018. See Competition

Published writing

Img 6947
1

ms z (United States) published:

Excerpt from Chapter One of A Month of Midnights

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

The sunshine couldn’t melt the mist that morning. The white blanket descended in the early hours and clung to the grass blades. As people rose to perform their daily chores, the mist lapped at their ankles and nipped at their toes. It was an odd but expected rarity. Strange things always happened on the Day of the Choosing. Rumor had it that on the last Day of the Choosing, flowers with green petals and purple stems grew, and the sheep...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Dog and kittens
4

Ashleigh2403 (United States) published:

Free

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Astrid stared, disgusted at the body at her feet. she quickly dropped her dagger and nervously ran her fingers through her hair. forgetting the fact that her hands were coated with the cursed witch's blood. She quickly pulled her hands away and surveyed her surroundings that had been her homefor the past two years. She reached up to run her hands through her hair again just barely remembering in time that they were filthy. Astrid started, studying for a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 20160722 122821
14
2

EAurora (United Kingdom) published:

Reverie

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

“Sir? Are you ready to try again?”

I stared intently into his eyes, trying to find some meaning within the flickering pupils. Their faded black clouded his face, hiding whatever it was that had kept him ticking away inside the vacancy of his expression for so long. As I watched, a juddering cigarette rose to his lips and released a puff of faltering smoke. Wisps seeped from his chapped mouth and shifted across his face, dragging jewels down his cheeks....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ryro
5
2

artificialaorta (Argentina) published:

east of the sun and west of the moon

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Winter stretches infinitely. It’s that time of the year when the sky and the earth blend seamlessly together, white upon white divided only by the thinnest thread of the horizon. The cold is abrasive here (you do not know cold until your face burns from it). The birds and the bears have gone to sleep already, and the snow falls softly - amorously suffocating the earth below. All is still, except for two persistent, moving dots. The smaller of the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 3559
3
1

Johanna (Singapore) published:

Monochrome

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Everything is black and white in this world. Well, at least, for them.

☙☙☙☙☙

The beautiful girl leaned in closer to her father, mesmerized by the book he was holding. Her lips mouthed the word slightly, as her father read the words out loud. The last page of the book was finished, and the girl let out a content sigh, finally relaxing and letting her body sink back into the soft couch.

“Can you see them?” The father asked gently,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screenshot 2019 05 06 at 9.50.11 pm
3
1

green.eyes.gurl (United States) published:

Split Into Pieces

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Chapter One

She stands up walks down the black-and-blue checkered tile rows up to the front of the classroom. After this day, she thought as she walked up to her Algebra 2 teacher. After this day, I deserve to go home early.

It's been two weeks since 14 year old Evangeline Mitchell's parents suddenly disappeared while in vacation in Peru. The authorities had been looking since a friendly receptionist at their hotel had reported they hadn't...

Download

A person (Australia) published:

The Change

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

And at that moment, I saw the life leave her eyes, even if she wasn't dead. Not in the way you'd think of. She was a vampire. My girlfriend was a vampire. If anyone had told me that an hour ago, I would have laughed and walked away. In fact, I was told an hour ago. 
Looking at her now, though, I could see the truth. She looked the same as I had seen her every day. Her pale skin,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screen shot 2019 03 12 at 5.28.21 pm
1

Opal Drop (United States) published:

Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

The clouds hung lazily over the moon. Two people were underneath a draping willow tree. They spoke silently in whispers. The two were, unknowingly, were being eavesdropped on. The secret pair of dark purple eyes were filled with something difficult to define. But she was listening.
“Morwenna.. unable.. how.. manage..”
It was so quiet, hard to make out anything at all. Then one voice rose, high and clear.
“Wenny can take care of herself, Cat, what about Baby Listi?”
“Shh....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Images
2

Ella McFarlane (Australia) published:

Hiding Place

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

My bedroom is the only place that is safe. The only place where I feel I won’t become the victim of the killer that has been hunting me for so long, it’s like I’m in a prison cell, that has an inescapable feel of being able to avoid of what I know is so close to happening. Why won’t this stop? This is the constant question that comes to my head. This life is like a maze, instead it has...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Images

Ella McFarlane (Australia) published:

Hiding Place

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

My bedroom is the only place that is safe. The only place where I feel I won’t become the victim of the Killer that has been hunting me for so long, it’s like I’m in a prison cell, that has an inescapable feel of being able to avoid of what I know is so close to happening. Why won’t this stop? This is the constant question that comes to my head. This life is like a maze, instead it has...

Default avatar user icon
1

lhoover0865 (United States) published:

Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

".....a village was burned to ashes in the night," the advisor said. "Apparently, the culprits left something burned into the ground." He hesitated, a flicker of wariness crossing his face.
From her position in the corner of the throne room, Fallon monitored the man's every movement with unwavering vigilance. Graying hair, hunched back, the soft hands of a person who had never held a sword or dagger. He certainly didn't appear to be a threat, and the two royal guards...

Default avatar user icon

Pacificus (Canada) published:

Soul

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

If there is a soul within me, God put it there.

The mind is a strange thing, isn't it? It remains within the skull, floating for an eternity within a clear liquid, never once witnessing the light of the world around it. And yet, it determines our entire lives. It screams, it sings. It constructs and navigates a world where reality is obstructed and life is but a brief moment.

Calculations and colors, paradoxes and probability. Space, time, light.

The...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Spectre wallpaper sample 16x9

d0n0t (United States) published:

digging for gold

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

III. Kanab, Utah, 2011.
    Through most of her time in high school, Amanda was borderline overweight, though that changed after a few New Year’s resolutions and time in LA. She was prone to not doing anything in their mandated physical education classes, opting instead to stand in a corner and stare at a wall smoking, which their teacher took as a direct insult towards his honor and Tom took as fucking badass. Scuba diving always seemed like something...

Ryro

artificialaorta (Argentina) published:

east of the sun and west of the moon

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Winter stretches infinitely. It’s that time of the year when the sky and the earth blend seamlessly together; white upon white divided only by the thinnest thread of the horizon. The cold is abrasive here (you do not know cold until your face burns from it). The birds and the bears have gone to sleep already, and the snow falls softly - amorously suffocating the earth below. All is still, except for two persistent, moving dots. The smaller of the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

LaRaine168 (United States) published:

The Girl with a Firm Heart

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Appa noo! I wail to mother clutching onto her buckskin dress. The faucet of tears running down her face is forever etched into my mind. She says nothing only to crouch down to my eye level. She pushes our foreheads together and lays her hand on my cheek gently but firmly caressing it. She looks deep into my eyes and whispers one word, "Toksa."  See you later she says but somehow in my heart, I know this...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

UPG (United States) published:

Life in a Nutshell

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

The temperature reached a new high today, September was starting to feel a loooot more like summer. The city was quiet, leaving only the sounds of birds chirping in the nearby park to fill my morning walk. An ice cream sounded pretty good about right now, just thinking about it made my mouth water but as usual, my wallet was worth more than the paper inside of it.
  Click, click, click! I’ve always hated this job. Sitting at a desk, looking...

Default avatar user icon

Miguel (United States) published:

Xóchitl and the baby

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

There needed to be three certain conditions in place to allow the event to occur, all of which, were eventually meet with the birth of Xiomara Morales. 

Firstly, Xiomara was a direct descendent of Xóchitl, which was important, as the event could only be carried out with one of Xóchitl’s direct defendants. (As  according to Xóchitl’s counting they were only twenty five generations apart)

Second, Xiomara had been born at the same place Xóchitl had died, in the Great city...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

lhoover0865 (United States) published:

Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

1200 6965 lotus flower photo1
6

Z.Bunzigiye (Canada) published:

She'll Be Okay

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Aïda opens up her sticky eyes. She awakens to soft morning light sifted through her translucent curtains. Her arm bumps something, someone, fast asleep next to her. 'Better not wake her up', she sluggishly thinks as she fumbles out of bed and goes to use the bathroom.

As she brushes her teeth, takes a shower and does her morning routine, there is a pit growing in her stomach. It's Monday morning and this is just another day. She feels anxious...

H o s i c o
1

Rinzerella (United States) published:

No Matter What Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

To her surprise, the familiar sound of wind whistling through trees, rattling their leaves, filled her ears. Running water was heard. The light rustling of crisp plant matter produced by a small animal scampering away faded in the distance. These are not the kinds of sounds Victoria had ever expected to hear inside of a bank.
Gathering enough courage, Victoria opened her eyes. Immediately, a breeze inhabited the space behind her eyeballs, forcing their lids closed again like a window...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Canva goat
1

Crescent (United States) published:

The Second Admiral (Excerpt)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Peraphone laughed and slammed the flagon down, making the makeshift barrel table jump from the newly cleared deck. Rum sloshed over the mug, splattering onto the alcohol-logged table.

How wonderful! Doubles again! The Fiend must be feeling generous today if her consecutive wins were any indication. She swiped the gold pieces from the table and downed the rest of the rum, letting it spill onto her loose russet hair and leather jacket, soaking her white undershirt.

Her crewmen shot her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Promise444 (United States) published:

If Only

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

I lie underneath my covers… the darkness of room caressing my body and filling all the cracks and crevices of my bed room. My eyes are pried open, even though I cannot see anything and It’d be just about the same if they were closed.
    My mind ponders on thoughts, while my dark chocolate colored eyes wander through my pitch black room. I can’t help but reminisce over the deep yearning I have to go back in time....

Default avatar user icon

Paramita Vadhahong (United States) published:

Admissions Game

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

The most telling thing about your social status at Blackwell School for Girls may be the college counselor to whom you were assigned in the fall of senior year. In any case, being matched with Prudence Dollaway was far and away from the ideal; a hawkish woman with a pinched face and a strict overtone, she paled in comparison to Julien Richter, the younger, well-liked counselor who graduated from Brown and was somewhat of a dreamy fixture among my classmates. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1269070
2

gava (United States) published:

Kindred Spirits

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

The crackling fire glowed in the corner of a petite bookshop. Little Caroline was in the arms of her mother rocking back and forth next to the fire while humming the tune of Dream by Roy Orbison. The smell of warm cookies and coffee always seemed to make its way into the thin air. Caroline’s dark blue eyes struggled to stay awake as she grasped this warm memory and kept in the back of her head for reminiscing later.

Ever...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Pixel spring japan
3

Gabriel Goodwin (Philippines) published:

Ending Tides Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Ships at a distance had every man’s wish on board leaving countless memories for the chance of a brand new start. A frontier for them without any sign of safety, but much more without Mother’s loving embrace; forever searching for a new path to follow, a new tomorrow to wake up to, and a new place to embrace. However, not everyone was willing to leave behind everything on Earth. Not in Jane's case.

Jane Hoven...

Seeking Peer Reviews