All writing published for Novel Writing Competition 2018. See Competition

Published writing

Default avatar user icon

Wu.Z (Ireland) published:

Hope

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

I heard the news that morning. More than half the nation was in mourning because the King of Xavia had passed away in the night. In other words, my father passed away.
    The king's guards had arrived at our door at around six. They took me into the kitchen and told me what happened. It had been in his sleep. The doctors were called and tried to do everything they could but it was too late. His heart had...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Panda2
2

Kenny (India) published:

bury me shallow (i'll be back)

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

"These are the rings you gave me, traitor! These are the binds of your promises!" she snarls.

The ropes tighten around her fingers, and she sobs, hot tears blurring her vision. "I'm telling the truth! I am!" 

The judge's face is impassive. "Tighter, yet. We'll see if she surrenders the truth." A brash pain fills her hands, and she screams, long and hoarse.

She had thought she was prepared for this. That morning, her father had whispered to her as...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screen shot 2018 11 21 at 1.58.19 pm
2

Misfit (United States) published:

Elephant Toothpaste

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Alice Currie bit her lip and tried her best to keep from tapping her foot as Mrs.Blois's keen eyes scanned her coffee- stained resume. She knew her recommendations had been glowing, and her degrees numerous. But all the recommendations, diplomas, and coffee stains couldn't cover the incident. Alice knew that.  Mrs. Blois's eyes narrowed as she reached the bottom of the fifth page of the paper, and Alice's gut squeezed. A numb pang shot through her as she...

Seeking Peer Reviews

223422752 snowman screensavers and wallpaper
1

midnightyeti (United States) published:

A

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Default avatar user icon

Wu.Z (Ireland) published:

Hope

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Olivia Cai (United States) published:

We Won't Fall

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

He sits in silence with the grave, emotions tumbling through his heart until they burst out of his mouth in a torrent of speech.

“Right before you left, you told me that it was okay and I'd find somebody else to share the weight of the world with. I was devastated. I cried the entire night, I didn't get to sleep at all, but you were right all along. I found him.”        

And it’s true. Ever since the night he...

Default avatar user icon

Kaelyn Wells (United States) published:

Waiting for the times.

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Nevaeh's mother always told her she was special. She always knew when she would be needed. Nevaeh shrugged it off most of the time... All children are special. she would think. What could I be that another child couldn't? After her mother disappeared, Nevaeh found herself turning to her mother's words more than she used too. When she was in times of trouble, her mother would come into her mind to save her, comfort her but there was once...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Caitlan McLerran (United States) published:

Rainbow

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Rainbow

When we first met,
You turned the page in the book of my life and started a new chapter,
One with you in it, 
And you scribble in your chicken scratch “she is to be loved”,
Our love was like a rainbow,
With ruby reds of passion
And sunflower yellows of belonging,
The warm browns of the home you made for my heart reflecting off the blues of your truth,
But that home was destroyed by the black...

Taehyungggg

Emily8648 (United States) published:

Soteria

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

In the suburban parts of New York, many decades in the future, there were monsters roaming the town. What was once a peaceful town has become the heart of chaos. These monsters suddenly began to appear without a reason, and the city began to evacuate. They believed was no hope for the residents to be saved.
    However, high school students Selene Raymond, Wendy Bellamy, Elizabeth Kanda, and Louise Lane had suddenly received powers from a small, unknown mythical being named...

Default avatar user icon

Elias_M (United States) published:

The Reporter

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

God this is boring. I had always wanted to come out and cover the action, the war. But no one told me it would be this boring. I’m James Edwards, and I am a reporter for MSNBC. I had always wanted to be a reporter my whole life, I loved seeing the world, and I always wanted to see it and tell others about it. I got my dream job right out of college, I finished top of my class...

Default avatar user icon

myastclair (United States) published:

A Light In The Dark

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

“Man, I can’t believe you're turning 17 in a couple of days,” Brooklin said applying her tan foundation. She looked over to Lyric and shook her head, letting her bleached dreadlocks sway side-to-side. “And you still don’t have your driver’s license.” Lyric shook her head while curling her eyelashes. She opened her mouth to speak but heard the front door of her house slam.
    “We’re here, y’all!” Tuscan, a friend of the pair, walked into the house with his girlfriend,...

Default avatar user icon

ethanb42 (United States) published:

____

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

"Mission control, do you copy?" "Mission Control?" 
The year 3002, Starma was a girl from the planet Armidole. She was just becoming 18 when invaders took out the barrier and attacked. Her and her family were forced to flee, being shot out of the planet, exceeding speeds up to 44,000 miles per hour.
Her and her family were rescued by a group of other family's that had flee'd from Armidole. When they met up they had an abundance...

Default avatar user icon

yorrak (United States) published:

Excerpt of Legacy

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

“Antonio,” the stranger hissed.
“General Drake,” Antonio muttered with the same contempt. “For what do I owe the pleasure?”
The assassins had stopped fighting, leaving Lance to rip the blade from the older brother’s grip. The assassins stood straight for the general, their brother’s body lying still on the ground behind them.
“I think you know why,” the stranger answered, his eyes locking on Raina. “Of course, that would go against your honor, wouldn’t it father?”
Raina’s eyes widened...

Angry dipper

LoganW (United States) published:

Emily Wellington is Going Away

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Dear Diary,                                                                November 2
We used to pretend we were lovers. Emily and I. I guess that’s kind of obvious. But I’ve just never put it into words before. It’s true, though. We laughed together. We cried together. We never kissed, but since when was that a requirement? I don’t really know. It’s hard to explain.
Emily Wellington was the best person I’ve ever met, probably. Definitely. I met her in 2econd grade. I think we kind of became friends...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

betsyy05 (United States) published:

Absolutely Lucky

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

What would happen if something big, something massive changed your world in another perspective? 
I, Kenna Simpkins was never lucky. Ever. I always forgot my homework, woke up late for school, and even cracked my glasses once a week. I never had friends. Everyone stands at least a foot away from me, scared for getting the “bad luck’s curse.” I was different. I was different in another way from anybody else. I was lucky, just in a bad way. 
One thing I concluded about my...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Kelly Martinez (United States) published:

Follow Me to the Edge of the Desert

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

follow me to the edge of the desert
                                                                                                kelly martinez

...

Savedimage 20180312 000

JPErgott (United States) published:

"Stars" Excerpt

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Today was truly a beautiful day. The sun was shining high above the towering skyscrapers of Reedson, the people were talking cheerily amid the stalls set up around the town square and I had a knife up my sleeve as I thought about who to threaten. Truly a beautiful day.
I wandered to a stall selling apples, or, more accurately, horrible mock-ups of the fruits that existed centuries before I was born. They had the taste and texture of candle...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Art colors

Cololo231 (United States) published:

Dog of the West

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

It was nice and warm during the springtime. A young, slender Border Collie named Keegan Reynolds was sitting and drinking a cup of coffee on a porch of the huge farmhouse far from the hills that reached. Fair as all, he has straight eyes, little hairs on top of his head, wears a white, long sleeve shirt with a straight purple vest and some smooth black pants right down to his feet.
He drank as he thought about something he...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 6947
1

ms z (United States) published:

Excerpt from Chapter One of A Month of Midnights

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

The sunshine couldn’t melt the mist that morning. The white blanket descended in the early hours and clung to the grass blades. As people rose to perform their daily chores, the mist lapped at their ankles and nipped at their toes. It was an odd but expected rarity. Strange things always happened on the Day of the Choosing. Rumor had it that on the last Day of the Choosing, flowers with green petals and purple stems grew, and the sheep...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Dog and kittens
4

Ashleigh2403 (United States) published:

Free

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Astrid stared, disgusted at the body at her feet. she quickly dropped her dagger and nervously ran her fingers through her hair. forgetting the fact that her hands were coated with the cursed witch's blood. She quickly pulled her hands away and surveyed her surroundings that had been her homefor the past two years. She reached up to run her hands through her hair again just barely remembering in time that they were filthy. Astrid started, studying for a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 20160722 122821
14
2

EAurora (United Kingdom) published:

Reverie

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

“Sir? Are you ready to try again?”

I stared intently into his eyes, trying to find some meaning within the flickering pupils. Their faded black clouded his face, hiding whatever it was that had kept him ticking away inside the vacancy of his expression for so long. As I watched, a juddering cigarette rose to his lips and released a puff of faltering smoke. Wisps seeped from his chapped mouth and shifted across his face, dragging jewels down his cheeks....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ryro
5
1

artificialaorta (Argentina) published:

east of the sun and west of the moon

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Winter stretches infinitely. It’s that time of the year when the sky and the earth blend seamlessly together, white upon white divided only by the thinnest thread of the horizon. The cold is abrasive here (you do not know cold until your face burns from it). The birds and the bears have gone to sleep already, and the snow falls softly - amorously suffocating the earth below. All is still, except for two persistent, moving dots. The smaller of the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 3559
3

Johanna (Singapore) published:

Monochrome

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Everything is black and white in this world. Well, at least, for them.

☙☙☙☙☙

The beautiful girl leaned in closer to her father, mesmerized by the book he was holding. Her lips mouthed the word slightly, as her father read the words out loud. The last page of the book was finished, and the girl let out a content sigh, finally relaxing and letting her body sink back into the soft couch.

“Can you see them?” The father asked gently,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Friends gif %288%29?1544316834
2

Catherinely Me (United States) published:

Split Into Pieces

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

Chapter One

She stands up walks down the black-and-blue checkered tile rows up to the front of the classroom. After this day, she thought as she walked up to her Algebra 2 teacher. After this day, I deserve to go home early.

It's been two weeks since 14 year old Evangeline Mitchell's parents suddenly disappeared while in vacation in Peru. The authorities had been looking since a friendly receptionist at their hotel had reported they hadn't...

Dragon yin yang

Alylee03 (Australia) published:

The Change

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2018

And at that moment, I saw the life leave her eyes, even if she wasn't dead. Not in the way you'd think of. She was a vampire. My girlfriend was a vampire. If anyone had told me that an hour ago, I would have laughed and walked away. In fact, I was told an hour ago. 
Looking at her now, though, I could see the truth. She looked the same as I had seen her every day. Her pale skin,...

Seeking Peer Reviews