All writing published for Sports Journalism Competition 2015. See Competition

Published writing

Default avatar user icon

cyndil banks published:

Benefits of Gymnastics

PROMPT: Sports Journalism Competition 2015

Sports are a growing interest in the United States, and have always been in the past. The one sport with a great growth is the sport of gymnastics. Young boys and girls have been frequestnly signing up for classes in this amazing sport.

The sport of gymnastics is a very beneficial sport, it teaches kids hand eye corrdination, how to use your body and how tpo control themeselves and listen to directions. Therefore, this sport allows for young kids understand the,eselves and...

Default avatar user icon

Irvin Zhang published:

The Man with Many Identities

He has many identities. By those close to him, he is known as Chris. To everyone else, he is known as CP3 or the ‘Point God.’ Put it simply, his name is Chris Paul.

Off the basketball court where he stars for the Los Angeles Clippers, he is a charming, charismatic father of two, who is all over the TV screen with his Cliff Paul State Farm commercials.

On the basketball court, he is a different person altogether; as he...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Marty Strey published:

The Life of an NFL Draft Prospect

Head down. Eyes closed. Heart pounding.  Mind racing.  He glances down at his cell phone.  It rings.

“Hello…”

And with the 23rd pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the Denver Broncos select Shane Ray, Defensive End, Missouri.

Shane Ray, a boy who’s seen more crime in his short life than most see in a lifetime, grew up in an 8-mile area of Kansas City appropriately nicknamed, “The Murder Factory”.  He was born May 18, 1993...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Picture?width=64&height=64

Jake de Saint Phalle (United States) published:

Frozen Four: Detailing Prep School Success in the NCAA Elite

Turns out the hockey played out right on our campuses is pretty quality puck, for between the rosters of Frozen Four contenders Providence College Friars and Boston University Terriers, a whopping 20 players have played at a NEPSAC (New England Prepatory School Athletic Council) school at some point in their career — just three shy of filling a NHL regulation roster. Also noteworthy is BU coach David Quinn played hockey at Kent, so he certainly has a familiarity with the level of play taking place on...

Image

Tyler published:

Golf

Golf is a game of sport. It is a calm sport for relaxing. My favorite day to go golfing is Sunday, because Sunday is the relaxing day for me. Yet I havn't accompolished the game yet, I still like the game. Some people will say that it is the worst sport to play but if you were a boy is cheerleading your favorite or mabye even gymnastics ect. I just ignore those people because they are just missing out on...

Profile pic

Jenneth LeeD (United States) published:

Ragtag Senior Team Defeats Wilds Staff by Single Buzzer-Beater

An assembly of previously unknown senior boys banded together Thursday, May 7, to form a basketball team skilled enough to face off against the expert staff at the Wilds Christian Camp in Brevard, North Carolina.

The five boys and one adult that created the makeshift basketball team came from a collection of Christian schools across North America during a week of their senior trips. Little did they know that by Thursday evening they would make the Wilds senior trip history when their teammate heaved the ball...

Default avatar user icon

cdot published:

When things hit the fan, are you still a fan?

In a small forgotten town in Missouri sat a primitive basketball gymnasium that stood the test of time. The bleachers were so old that each slight movement of spectators would make them scream for mercy.Inside, it smelled of team spirit and the familiar stench a grandmother's house you never go see. With each ball and sneaker that made contact with the court seems like lost souls and memories were revived for the hour long spectacle. But if you ask a...

Images

Sam published:

Drugs, Rape, and Death Surrounds the NFL

There has been a lot of crimes surrounding the NFL lately, from child abuse, to rape and murder. The list goes on. But I'm going to take the focus off of the recent news, and speil about a case from a while ago involving Darrell Russells lawlessness.

While Darrell Russell, 26, previous Oakland Raider and Washington Redskins player, was put on a year suspention for testing positive of the use of ecstasy in 2002, he and two other men; Ali Martine Hayes, 27, and Naeem Rashad Perr, 24, get charged for drugging,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Gaot
1

Judy Choi published:

All about the LOVE: Melissa Pick shares her fervor for tennis

Growing up in a family of tennis players, Melissa Pick was destined to follow the family tradition. “I used to get super jealous of my sister, Lauren, because I would just watch her play in the tournaments, and I wanted to be the one playing,” Pick said.

Since hitting her first shot at age four, Pick has plowed through her tennis career, competing in major national tournaments, like the 2014 National Selection in San Antonio and Midland, and even playing...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Images

Pokemon Trainer HH Saul published:

Was Pacquiao Actually Victorious Over Mayweather? Conspiracy Arises After Fight.

Floyd Mayweather emerges the undisputed champion over Manny Pacquiao on Saturday, May 2nd. A conspiracy appeared suggesting that the judges Dave Moretti, Glenn Feldman, and Burt Clements besmirched the scorecards by signing the blue corner with lower points while Pacquiao was sitting in the red corner between rounds. So what do you think? Accident or conspiracy? 

Conspiracy theorists assume that the fight was fixed, and have been trying to prove so by analyzing the scorecards of the fight. Showing that Mayweather...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Mike c published:

Bull vs Cavs

The Chicago Bulls and the Cleveland Cavaliers have always had a rivalry. Their first rivalry began when Michael Jordan was playing basketball for the Bulls in 1980-90s. For a while, it died off until the playoffs this year. The Bulls and the Cavs have been going at it for the last couple of weeks with their impressive skill play in the playoffs. Back when Michael Jordan was on the Bulls, the Cavs were always the team they had to face....

Default avatar user icon

Mike c published:

Bull vs Cavs

Default avatar user icon

Hunter (United States) published:

Chicago Blackhawks Sweep

Last night the Minnesota Wild played the Chicago Blackhawks. Chicago was ahead 2-1 in the 2nd period. When 3rd started Chicago ended up scoring once up 3-1. Then, 2 minutes left in the 3rd the Wild scores on a power play with 2 extra men because they pulled Dubnyk. Then on the next face off they pulled Dubnyk again and Hossa scored on there open net. The Wild got a face off in Chicagos zone and Nino Niederreiter scored putting...

Default avatar user icon

Shorty. +Amber+ published:

Joey Logano: Lifelong Racer

“It's funny how the whole team gets quiet when you're about to win a Daytona 500,” Joey said in an interview after he won the Daytona 500 February 22, 2015. Although he started in 5th place, on the 172nd lap he took the lead. Going from 5th place to 1st, Joey had a successful run in his #22 Ford. Winning races for Joey is a humble yet amazing experience: “When you cross the line and you've won the race, to me,...

Picture?width=64&height=64

Isabella Meneses published:

Memorable Opening Day In Los Angeles

After an amazing 2014 regular season ,winning back to back National League West division pennants, the Los Angeles Dodgers were on top of the world and favorites to win the World Series in 2014. However, after losing to the St. Louis Cardinals in the postseason for a second year in a row and division rivals the San Francisco Giants winning their third World Series in five years, the Dodgers were ready to start new. Hiring new General Manager Andrew Friedman...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Devan Fink (United States) published:

US Little League Champion Found Guilty of "Cheating"

Playing Little League is one of the joys of childhood. Little League Baseball has been around forever, shaping children into solid baseball players and good sportsmen. 

In 2014, Jackie Robinson West, a Chicago Little League team, became the first African American Little League team to win the United States championship. They slugged their way into the hearts of Americans, including President Barack Obama’s, whom they met at the White House. However, this past February, the team was stripped of their title because it was...

Barbadosmap

Josephine O'Grady (United States) published:

The Girl Who Struck Out Babe Ruth

"I don't know what's going to happen if they begin to let women in baseball. Of course, they will never be good. Why? Because they are too delicate. It would kill them to play ball everyday."

These were Babe Ruth's words regarding women playing baseball. And not long after, his team, the New York Yankees, played the Chatanooga Lookouts. And on that day, a female pitcher named Jackie Mitchell stepped up to the mound and struck out him and Lou Gehrig...

Default avatar user icon

Nick Overton published:

Paycheck: A College Athlete Needs One

College Athletes have alot of games and tornements even practices the NCAA, as a whole, makes $6 billion annually. But the players themselves dont see any of that money that is went towards and going towards the game that are played. Even as they risk carrer ending injuries ebery time that they step onto the court, field or rink. Just last weekend, Louisville's Kevin Ware suffered a gruesome broken leg [but successfully had surgery that will enable him to return to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Lil Zay published:

Sports in General

What is sports? Where do sports come from? How do teams get there names? How does the sports itself get its name? All these are great questions and to find the answer you are gonna have to keep reading.     

If you really think about it what are so good about sports? It is kind of like a hobby and people have and they get good at it and go big and get payed. Wait, and people are technically...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Lil Zay published:

Sports in General

Default avatar user icon
1

Paige published:

Double Standards

As a young girl I grew up playing sports; my favorite was hockey because I loved the energy and roughness in the game. But now as a teenager my family dealt with struggles so I had to stop playing. Realzing as I got older, playing made me more unhappy because I couldn't make a career out of it because I am a woman. Woman fought for equality in the world and to get sports equality also but they changed all the rules for...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Tishawnna published:

Girls Basketball vs Boys Basketball

My favorite sport is boys basketball it used to be girls basketball but they got pretty boring so, I started watching boys basketball to keep up with everyone else in the world. When I first started watching boys basketball  was when Lebron James was still playing  for Miami Heat which was about 2.5 years ago.

I like boys basketball better than girls basketball because the game doesn't get so intense as the boys do its like when the boys want to win a game or go...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Nick Overton published:

Paycheck: A College Athlete Needs One

Do you care so much about your favorite College player? Do you think they should be paid, well there not. Every single college player in any sport uses all there effort towards the sport they love and they dont 

Seeking Peer Reviews

Koala
1

Ryan published:

Sneakerheads

Shoes are appealing to me because they I like to dress nice and it feels good having a fresh pair of shoes on. I also like collecting things, So I collect shoes. People think its ridiculous to collect shoes because of the price of some of these pairs of sneakers, but if you collect them and see another sneaker collector and he notices your shoes and you notice his and its a conversation starter. There is a term for people who...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Images

Pokemon Trainer HH Saul published:

With those whom say it's an accident have not analyzed completely the situation arisen from the subject. 

Seeking Peer Reviews