All writing published for Album Review Competition 2015. See Competition

Published writing

riyadh (United States) published:

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful: Album Review

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

British indie-rock band Florence + The Machine recently released their third studio album, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful, as a follow up to first Lungs and second Ceremonials. The album details the struggles in a faulted relationship with powerful songs detailing regret, such as "Ship to Wreck", anger, shown in "What Kind of Man", and self-appreciation, noted in "Third Eye".

The album begins with the exquisitely crafted "Ship to Wreck". This song, despite its...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jacquelyn Brown published:

Misterwives- Our Own House Album Review

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

I had the pleasure of seeing MisterWives open for twenty one pilots on the Quiet is Violent tour after I’d been jamming to the Reflections EP all summer. Ever since then, I was highly anticipating the debut album Our Own House. Truly, this album packs a punch that was hinted at in Reflectionsand definitely felt live. The title track completely sums up MisterWive’s sound in one kick-ass-80’s-pop-dance-jam of a song. You can no help but completely rock out...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Isabella Meneses published:

The Start of Something New

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

Born and raised in the heart of the San Fernando Valley sister act, Haim, finally relaesed their highly anticipated album "Days Are Gone".

Haim consits of twenty something year old sisters, Este, Danielle, and Alana. Growing up in a musical household had an affect on the girls' careers. Their mother and father taught the girls how to play different instruments such as the drums, guitar, and keyboard from a very young age. Singing for local fundraisers in their family musical groupm...

Paige Morse (United States) published:

An Album Born To Run

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

Growing up in working class Freehold, New Jersey, Bruce Springsteen watched his father struggle to keep a steady job while his mother was a secretary at an insurance office. The Boss had a complicated relationship with his father, which he credited as the inspiration for many of his songs. His passionate storytelling would not have been the same if Bruce Springsteen got along great with his father.

His third album, Born to Run, skyrocketed the Boss into the spotlight. Even though the album only has eight...

Kayla K (United States) published:

Some Time in New York City

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

There are songs you can dance to, cry to, learn all the lyrics to and end up screaming them at the top of your lungs in the shower. Then there are the songs you get married to and that hold special meaning forever. Most importantly are the songs that mean something. Music that pertains to real life issues and actually makes listeners stop and think about the world they're living in is music that has a real meaning. John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s ...

1

Ella (United States) published:

An Album With Passion

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

The first time I heard of Taylor Swift I was ten years old, sitting in my cousin’s room while she listened to “You Belong With Me.” Since then, she’s been my musical role model and inspiration, there to sympathize with me in times of hardship, and celebrate in times of elation. I’ve followed her through Fearless, Speak Now, Red, and her greatest creation yet, 1989.

1989, named for the year of Swift’s birth, signifies the artist’s full transition from innocent...

armour-clad (United States) published:

Eclectic

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

Eclectic. That is the word I would use to describe my music library. I have everything from AC/DC to Tchaikovsky. My tastes vary so thouroughly. I have one album that I have listened to so many times that I know the lyrics to every single song. I grew up listening to it on the stereo and then listening to it through ear buds throughout my pre-teen years. This album is August and Everything After by Counting Crows.

I keep listening because as...

Paige Morse (United States) published:

An Album Born To Run

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

His third album Born to Run skyrocketed the Boss into the spotlight. Even though the album only has eight...

1

Anshu (United States) published:

Catfish & the Bottlemen

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

Apace, raw, halcyon, and powerful, Catfish and the Bottlemen's debut album, "The Balcony" is the perfect album to blast in the car and belt out every word. It's almost impossible not to dance to their music. The album is filled with stellar tunes, all poignant, stunning, and tempestuous. Don't let the peculiar name, or the mistifying album artwork confuse you, "The Balcony" is indubitably enthralling with its melodic, charming songwriting, catchy lyrics, and alluring production.This is the album long-awaited for and it's...

1

Maria Santacrose (United States) published:

Strange Desire-Bleachers

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

Jack Antonoff is a man of many bands, but in the past year his new solo act has caught my attention the most. While on tour with his band Fun., he was secretly creating a masterpiece.

When I first heard he was recording a new solo album, well, I will admit I was angry at him for leaving Fun.behind. Fun. was the band that introduced me to the indie and alternative band scene, and if Antonoff was going...

1
1

J. (Serbia) published:

American beauty/American psycho

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

Fall Out Boy is back again-After their 3 and a half year break back in 2009 they came back with “Save rock and roll” in 2013, now in 2014/2015 they again rocked the world with their new album “American beauty/American psycho".

It was scheduled for its release on 14 of January 2015, but it had leaked about 10 days earlier. The signature punk pop mixed with punk rock and emo sound and we can never forget...

Phoebe L (United States) published:

A Handful of Candy

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

BØRNS 4 song EP Candy has been described as a new summer classic. But this Michigan native’s debut album is much more than that; it’s a collection of daydreams set to vivid and fine-tuned synth-pop. BØRNS’ music is ornate and glittery without being kitschy.  It has that laid-back, California summer kind of vibe. Candy is, in a word, happy. 

Garrett Borns makes the exact kind of bright and vibrant music that you would expect from someone who lives in a...

1
1

Andrew Gavinet published:

"Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not"- Ten Years and Poetry still unmatched

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

To think it has been a decade since a bomb exploded in England, with its debris only grazing the coasts of America in the form of "AM". A decade since a group of English teenagers cut through the garbage of mid-noughties post punk with an album as catchy as it is honest. Guitar riffs that attack like machine gun fire and lyrics that provide the clarity in a pre-constructed concept of a small bar in northern England.

...

1
1

Logan Warshaw (United States) published:

Coldplay "Ghost Stories" Album Review

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

Coldplay’s 6th studio album, “Ghost Stories,” was met with harsh criticism after its full release last May.  Die-hard Coldplay fans bashed the album, bemoaning its lack of traditional instrumentation, and its dance-pop sound.  Fans yearned to here Will Champion’s drumming and Jonny Buckland’s loud, prominent guitar, and were instead met with an electronic, minimalist feel.  But what Coldplay left us fans with was not just an EDM album prompted by laziness and conformation to what modern day radio...

Anshu (United States) published:

Catfish & the Bottlemen

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

Apace, raw, halcyon, and powerful, Catfish and the Bottlemen's debut album, "The Balcony" is the perfect album to blast in the car and belt out every word. It's almost impossible not to dance to their music. The album is filled with stellar tunes, all poignant, stunning, and tempestuous. Don't let the peculiar name, or the mistifying album artwork confuse you, "The Balcony" is indubitably enthralling with its melodic, charming songwriting, catchy lyrics, and alluring production.

This is the album long-awaited for and...

2
1

Rachel Alison (United States) published:

Call Us All Anomalies

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

It’s an interesting case of irony, or what would be irony.

Lecrae can’t be fit into a box. An outspoken Christian who raps and befriends fellow rappers who swing to the other side of the spiritual clock. A legitimate rapper who doesn’t preach hypocrisy. Real, but hopeful.

Up until the release of his album “Anomaly” this past September, Lecrae has been constantly molding and evolving his image. From “Real Talk’s” heavy-hitting beats to “Church Clothes Vol. 2’s”...

2
1

Karla Mae Bolaños published:

A Fearless Album

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

Fearless, it’s not just the album title but also the best adjective to describe Taylor Swift’s Grammy Award winning second album.

Before American singer songwriter Taylor Swift became full on pop, everyone knew she was a country artist. We don’t blame her of course for changing into pop, because her top selling 5th studio album 1989 is surely a genius creation. But before we heard her sing about dancing all alone and never going out of style, Taylor Swift...

2

Arielle published:

Shame, Shame

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2015

After listening to Dr. Dog’s album Shame, Shame, every emotion is brought forth but shame itself. It’s shameless, to say the least, and tugs on your heart strings song after song. Starting with a tambourine shake and the immediate psychedelic indie-rock sound to follow (faded shouts in the background included, very Beatles-esque), Stranger sets an upbeat tone for the album. But as you listen to the lyrics, you realize that this is the beginning of an end. And as with all...