All writing published for Given First Line

Published writing

1

River Rae (United States) published:

Dreams and a Legacy

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. That's what my father said to me the day before he died. I never really understood what it meant. Until now.

I climbed aboard the legacy, the newest addition to my families boat collection. It had been nearly five years since i was last on a boat. After my father's death I just didn't have the nerve for it. But my family needed this source of income. Fishing. My...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Ye_Old_Fountain_Pen (United States) published:

Shipwreck to Sailboat

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board.
    Too often have dreamers dove into the sea and swam for those distant ships, treading water, struggling for miles, only to never make it aboard. Those who do - those who cross the weary expanse of salty spray and climb aboard the old timbers - find nothing but shipwreck. 
    Too few guess the truth, but some do guess. They dive off the shipwreck and swim back to shore,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Shipwreck to Sailboat

PROMPT: Given First Line

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

BriRiley (United States) published:

Your personal sanctuary (footnotes)

PROMPT: Given First Line

If you ever feel that you need a place to go for some time alone, In found having a your own personal sanctuary can be calming  and helpful.

Your sanctuary is a place for you to take a break and have some you time. It might not always be in the same place every time, but it will always be there, and it is always changing to be whatever and wherever you need it to be. It can be be...

Seeking Peer Reviews

daisy164 (United States) published:

Storm

PROMPT: Given First Line

"Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." From perfectly trimmed sails, to sailors sunbathing on deck, to occasional sprays of ocean water that fend off the heat of a summer day, seafaring vessels, in theory, seem like a dream come true. The captain of one of said vessels, however, knew this wasn’t the case.
    “Ease the main!” she screamed over the deafening waves, voice already hoarse. “Let it out!”
    Muttering a silent curse as two of her...

☯Philadelphia☯ (Australia) published:

☯Everyone's Differences☯

PROMPT: Given First Line

Everyone is different, But don't let someone's differences change who you are!

Blaise161 (United States) published:

Learning from the Past

PROMPT: Given First Line

"Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." As I am leaving to find better life, I see the people that I love stay behind. Everything is flashing before my eyes. As I finally make it to the promise land I am at peace. I am now in my happy place. I remember the beautiful ship as it goes to another dock. The ship is the last memory of my past life. When I was at sea it...

2

LexiePoetry22 (United States) published:

Adrift

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board
as we
a population adrift at sea
send each prayer to a star on the horizon
I sleep with the sun
only so when I wake, I don’t feel quite so alone
the sky full of twinkling hope

we have taken each pulsing pink sore
as one on Wall Street 
regards a paper cut,
As pain becomes a mundane byproduct of the lifestyle.

Before our eyes fall the ill and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

☯Philadelphia☯ (Australia) published:

☯Everyone's Differences☯

PROMPT: Given First Line

'Be the You God Created You to be.'
'Be who God created you to be.' 
By DR. Michelle Bengtson

3

Assh (United States) published:

Wishes

PROMPT: Given First Line

-Opening line from Their Eyes were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston-

"Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board."

I for one don't believe in the value of wishes, I mean you never really see someone who makes a wish on a comet ever get
what they want. Not only that, but the whole concept of wishing sounds like something that would happen in a children's fairytale book, or a cheesy Christmas movie about love. And I...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Ryan student185 (United States) published:

Life

PROMPT: Given First Line

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Life

PROMPT: Given First Line

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I, for one, don't enjoy life as much as I should.  I mean I'm grateful for the fact that I'm alive, but, I don't really enjoy everything that life has to offer.  I am always trying to do something that I can't find the time to live life to it's fullest Or maybe I just don't feel like it.  I try...

Couldn'tThinkOfAName (United Kingdom) published:

Sinking

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. Every dream, every hope, every man's life on rope. For thousands of miles and miles and miles begins the journeys across vast streches of sapphire oceans, travelled by only those with golden, hungry eyes for adventure and treasure. For thousands of years and years and years, that has been the sole plight of man.

However, one certain man's heart went port from such dreams, pointing away from the common man's...

Seeking Peer Reviews

maryse (United Kingdom) published:

The Ocean's Bounty

PROMPT: Given First Line

The first line is verbatim from 'Their Eyes Were Watching God' by American novelist Zora Neale Hurston.

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. Though when one gets closer, those wishes dissipate. Dissolving into some incongruous fluid which one can neither define nor articulate. 

Yet sailors seem to be fooled by this illusion of possibility. They return to their ships, again and again, intent on searching the deck one last time for that false hope....

Sockeele (United States) published:

The Ship of Wishes

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board.  But as the ship gets closer, every man realizes that what lies aboard is not what they wish, but what they thought they did.  If their last day was the day the ship came, would they take what lost and forgotten wishes lay aboard, or stay where they are and figuring out their day from there?  We may never know until the day the boat of ambitions comes our way. ...

2

astryn23 (United States) published:

lustful, exciting things

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. When they dream of women, they see them as they want them. When they dream of riches, materials flow through their minds and scattered in their hearts are lustful desires that could easily turn to tragedy, but they do not know it. The galore of the mind numbing criteria could make their thoughts forever clouded and vision forever rose. Who knows what every wish is on board, for a man?  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

~Anya~ (United States) published:

Dreams of Her Own

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. Astrid had wishes once, dreams so alive and so real that they could barely be contained in her mind. But that's the problem with dreams. Once they grow too large, they break free from their creator, and in their wake they leave disappointment.
    Astrid was trapped in this haze of disappointment, her dreams having run off a year ago when the world came crashing down around...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

Sinking

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. Every dream, every hope. For thousands of miles and miles and miles begins the journeys across vast streches of sapphire oceans, travelled by only those with golden, hungry eyes for adventure and treasure. For thousands of years and years and years, that has been the sole plight of man.

However, one certain man's heart went port from such dreams, pointing towards a more foggy yet ambitious path. As his hands...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kitty101 (United Kingdom) published:

Emily's Exciting Adventure & The Strange Magic

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. On Saturday 16th of June, 1987, Emily went on a really old ship. There was a thunderstorm and she was on her own, looking at the mountains far away from her. She heard the ships honking. She could tasted the sea salt and felt sea water on her feet.

Then, she thought about the time she was with her family. Emily went to school, studied, then at the end, she...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Yellow Sweater (United States) published:

Colonialism

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man’s wish on board: silk, bananas, opium, assam, cinnamon, gold, cotton...  

Linen suited bureaucrats, I address your fidgeting, your ledger books, and tacky tea cups. It is easy to wish, to build an empire from algebraic desires. But summaries aren't measured in sweat.

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Colonialism

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man’s wish on board: silk, bananas, opium, tea, cinnamon, gold, cotton...  

Linen suited bureaucrats with ledger books, it is easy to wish, to build an empire from algebraic desires. But summaries aren't measured in sweat.

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Not_a_tear_just_a_raindrop (United States) published:

Grandfather's Secret part l

PROMPT: Given First Line

"the... wait what was it?" I say as I try to repeat my grandfather's famous words. "the ships at a distance have every man's wish on board" my mom reminded me in an annoyed tone. my grandfather was a famous, breathtaking (or so I've heard, I've never met the man) king. my father was his son, and my mother married into the family. my father died when I was 2, leaving me, the last remaining genetic royal family member. why...

6

Emi (United States) published:

The Christmas Gift: Sequel to My Brother and His Stupid Daisies

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. And yet, when that ship comes closer it seems like it's nearly empty, that what you wished for ain't on it. It's impossible close, so close yet so far.
    Maybe I overthink it. I overthink a lot of things. That's what my brother Amos says.
    "Cas, if you don't show that darned Jessamine Grey you like her more, she'll just guess you take her out every...
Seeking Peer Reviews

5

mitch.momo (Canada) published:

totally not based on a real conversation

PROMPT: Given First Line

"For the last time Kavya," I groaned. "I am not going to write a 20k fanfic for your obscure headcanon no matter how many hot literary quotes you misquote."

1

~Aurora~ (Australia) published:

So full, yet so empty.

PROMPT: Given First Line

Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board.*
Like a dream, 
one can reach,
but never hold. 

"Only those who attain it, can be truly happy, right?" 
She sighed deeply, "Right."
"Has anyone ever reached it?" the little boy inquired, looking up at the shriveled old lady beside him. For such a quiet woman, the stories she had to tell were no short of fascinating. 
"Oh, yes. Only the luckiest of chaps." the hint of a smile lingered...
Seeking Peer Reviews