All writing published for Science Fiction Competition 2018. See Competition

Published writing

1

Kahasai (United States of America)() published:

Midnight Child

PROMPT: Science Fiction Competition 2018

Who is she?
    Who am I?

The two thoughts swirled like the dusty wind that crossed the Sierra Nevada desert, but lived in a far more confined place: the mind of an inhuman human named Nixie.
    The nighttime landscape of flat, cracked ground surrounded them for miles, until it reached the dark-figured Sierra Nevada Mountains.
    The white-coated woman didn't seem know of Nixie's presence. Nixie crouched beside a scrubby bush, her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

April Scott (United States of America)() published:

The Ruler of Fear

Chapter 1

“G’morning!” Mr. George Germi greeted his wife Lisa as he sat down at their kitchen table. “Good morning, dear,” she replied sitting down at the small, ornate wooden table with her husband. “Breakfast?” Mr. Germi asked his wife. “Sure, dear,” Lisa got up, walked to their butcher block countertops, and put some toast in the toaster. She turned the toaster up to the highest degree. Then she put some glossy eggs in a stainless...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Ben Tan (Singapore)() published:

Secrets - Chapter 1

Chapter 1
Date: 23 August 2088
Time: 8.30pm

Alarms blaring. Lights flickering. Water splashing about as she ran through the puddles. 

Breath heavy. Adrenaline running.  

Raindrops lightly flicked off the special waterproof fabric of the grey hood and sleeves, as a figure ducked into a dark alleyway. A single lock of white hair rested along her eye. Rolling back her right sleeve, it revealed a single metallic panel on her forearm.

Water splattered against the panel, and Luna wiped it...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

korra4life (United States of America)() published:

Acid

My hands rubbed against the dried skin of my arms. The rain poured outside of the twisted spire of metal and brought cold breezes along with it. I watched carefully as the wind changed slight directions and adjusted my position depending on it. The strong wind swept along the putrid scent of the southern cities towards my hiding spot. I tried to take shallow breaths with long intervals in between. 
I heard a high-pitched whine in the distance and flinched,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

KR (United States of America)() published:

When the Wild Dies

Today I had to tell my grandson what a tiger was. They’re dead- we killed them all. Not that I told him like that. Instead I settled for passive voice, a favorite amongst adults and politicians alike. “Tigers actually existed not too long ago, but they all died out along with a lot of other creatures.” No comment on who killed them. Or how they were killed. Something must have, but we don’t need to get into that apparently....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AMug (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() published:

Silverware

Why am I here?

Henry lifted up his knife and fork, and then stabbed it into the steak on the table. He breathed heavily, as he brought down the knife to slice off another piece. The steak was thick and hard to cut through, and so he took the time to look up around the room to see his surroundings. The walls and ceiling were plain, with nothing but a long, tubular light running across the room. As he looked...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

Wilson (United States of America)() published:

Assimilation

We love our lives in the Assimilation.
   Every day, we are eased awake by song. The melody pulses unilaterally in our heads, nostalgic and a little bit sad. None of us remember where or when we first heard it, or why it moistens our eyes, but then again, none of us remember much of anything from before the Assimilation took us in. Our only recollections are vague feelings, sourceless emotions, like the remnants of a long dream; enough to let...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AbiJoy (United States of America)() published:

The Sacred Techs

Leaning over the kitchen counter and my bowl of lucky charms, I asked my mother's back the question that haunts me to this day.
    "Can you be blessed by a robot?"
    Her reply was quicker than I expected, but she was a woman of great faith, "Yes, but it doesn't count."
    My mother's long gone now, her final rites done by a genuine flesh-and-blood priest. I wonder sometimes what she would think of my job. Would she be...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

helen! (United States Minor Outlying Islands)() published:

The Last Tree

I check my phone from my bed. It’s 5am. 14 missed calls from Olivia. I dial her number right away. “What’s wrong Olivia?”
    “Audrey… I don’t know if I can do this. I’m so scared,” she breathed intensely.
    “Olivia, just like our boss said, our spaceship is one of the best ones NASA has. I’m sure it'll be fine.” I tried to hide my fear. This fear can’t shut me down. I worked so hard to get to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

MissPetulant (United States of America)() published:

Emily ?

Emily was awoken by a violent shaking... Just kidding, her best friend Hannah had decided to jump onto her bed to wake her up for classes. Nightwalker High was where she was, Beatrix put her there and she wasn't allowed to leave. Every since Beatrix had come, nothing had stayed the same. Nobody knew who to trust and who to stay away from anymore. Beatrix was able to constantly look into your mind, all she had to do was think...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Embla Hvila (Sweden)() published:

Gate of Dignity

My heart beats hard against my rib cage. Hard enough to shatter all of the last, fragile stars of hope which are hiding deep inside. The guard is holding my left arm tightly despite my lack of resistance. Why should I fight? What do I have to win? What do I have to lose? 
I had lost all, in the blink of an eye, in the blink of my eyes, in the blink of thousands of eyes. Everything’s suddenly...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

sugarrush (United States of America)() published:

Blame

"It's all my fault!" you screamed to the blinding sky, flinging back your head and falling to your knees. The smell of sea salt hung heavily in the air, the sound of the waves on the rocky shore mimicking the screams of people from just three days before. Now, however, the world was ominously quiet. Only the waves and the roaring wind remained as a distant reminder of a world that would never be the same again. You closed your...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

areebah.haq1 (Australia)() published:

Does Harmony Matter?

I am starting my day with a poem in my mind,
Which matters a lot,
A song in my heart,
Which shines darkly through,
A sweet melody in my ears,
Which cries out loud.
Now I am wondering, imagining, dreaming,
What does harmony mean to us?
It is the time when the world gets together as one.
All of us together,
Our looks, food, culture other differences are put aside and together we revive and survive.
What if this harmony...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Ciel (Canada)() published:

Sinking

He sank.
Stretching his arms toward the wavering point of light above him, he descended into the depths. Tears floated and drifted upwards, intertwining with iridescent air bubbles and bitter salt. Eventually, the light faded and the water turned murky black. Within the first ten minutes of contact with seawater, his neural interface had all but disintegrated. 
No longer grasping wildly, no longer yearning mildly, fingers curled onto and into themselves, the joints crackling and fizzling, as he rescinded his hands...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Solisinluna (Canada)() published:

The Future is Female

Prologue

All I see is darkness. All I feel is weightless. Suspended in a fluid. Warm, comfortable and protected. Safe. 

Something’s different. Ugh! I’m being pushed through an opening much too small. 

Light floods into my eyes, blinding me. I start crying, taking great gulps of air that is much too cold, in a place that’s much too bright, with noises that are much too loud.

“Congratulations,” I hear a woman say.

“You have a healthy daughter.”

New hands wrap...

Seeking Peer Reviews

-- (United States of America)() published:

-

Our tree is dying. I try and tell this to the Starpeople, but they can’t hear me. That, or they won’t listen. I tell them anyways, projecting my thoughts up towards the sky, towards the little silver specks in which they live. Do they see it? Do they see how the branches are becoming stiff and brittle, how the leaves are curling back upon themselves? They gave us this  tree. Don’t they care to preserve it?
The sky goes from...

1

amberembers (United States of America)() published:

The Fear of Failure

“I have an appointment at 3:30 for a Trip,” Jay stated, leaning over the counter.

“Yes. Right this way, sir,” the receptionist said, ushering him through the door.
Upon entering the room, Jay was astounded. He had time traveled many times before but was always amazed by the shining, sleek machines standing before him. The scientist monitoring the machine pressed a sequence of buttons on the dashboard, and then curtly nodded in Jay’s direction. Taking a breath, Jay strode...

Seeking Peer Reviews

The Last Tree

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Zoe Felber (United States of America)() published:

White.

No one can really be sure how it happened, except that it happened for every single person all at once. For days, weeks even, people questioned it. Maybe a disease had spread throughout the world that made everything disappear. Maybe a scientist released a chemical that altered our vision. Maybe the government tried to cover something up and covered the world in a mist. Maybe technology went rampant. Maybe it was magic. Maybe it was God.
            Or maybe it was...

qwertyuiop (United States of America)() published:

HN201

16:41. Nineteen minutes until the end of the work day. Thank Gaia.
    HN201 stared out the store's lone aluminum-plated corner window, watching the sun rays reflect off the line of magnets embedded in the center of the street. At this time of day, the reddish light transformed the magnets into fiery squares, creating red-hot paths through the city. 
    One of the first lessons HN201 had learned as a child was to stay clear of the magno-trails during afternoon...

ClaraElizabeth (Canada)() published:

Memoir

“Procrastination” never was a hostile word to me, tinted instead with a slightly humorous, comforting flavour. The word resurrected a fleeting fragment of my Mum, scribbling with a dull pencil on the back of a coffee-stained calendar, the stiffened paper crackling as she wrote the notes for some stray, long overdue article. It was a warm, nostalgic term, relating in some indefinite way to the morning dewiness of prepubescence, a beaten relic from my generation, from whence not many teddy...
Seeking Peer Reviews

armour-clad (United States of America)() published:

Courage

She sat at the peak of the hill, her head held high as she gazed at the rising sun. The sky was turned to flame and the sea became the color of wine with the reflection of it. She thought of home. The brightly painted houses, the lush green mountains, everything that had made her small town her home. She could feel a tinge in her chest as these thoughts crossed her mind, grief for something that was, something that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Nick Tal (United States of America)() published:

What if Tracking Devices Could Be Made As Easy As 1-2-3?

"000398718!" barked Mr. 000629583. 

I lay on my bed as I press the controls of a panel in my hand to make my robot stand up. "Present," I say into my robot's microphone. My name is actually "Huiben Huabao." My friends call me "Hua." In school, it's prohibited to call somebody by their real name. Instead, everyone is given an ID number. 

Mr. 000629583 makes a mark on his clipboard and goes to the next person. "000326945!" 

There are about 129 people...

ThatOneNerdAsh (United States of America)() published:

The Stowaway

The E.S.V. Cantabria was stranded in space. While it was making its way through the Marnda System, all the engines failed simultaneously. There was no warning, no smoke, no fire. The worst part was that no one knew why. Now the ship was running off of generators. Those would fail in less than an hour. They were designed to run the ships vital systems if up to half of the engines failed, not all of them. All of the engineers...

Seeking Peer Reviews

C Foster (United States of America)() published:

From the Depths

How would you have thought the world would have ended? Global warming? Perhaps a zombie apocalypse? I’m sure most would think that with these tragedies our loving mother Gaia would just cease to exist. Even with the greatest of tragedies, Earth continued to grow. The world didn’t really care about dead creatures; it didn’t need humans to survive. Our planet moved on, with or without us. What was once a beautiful flourished landmass was now a chemical wasteland.
And then...

Seeking Peer Reviews