All writing published for Food Writing Competition 2018. See Competition

Published writing

horsiegirl (United States) published:

5th Grade Lunches

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

5th grade was the year of mini-auctions. As soon as our teacher would end the lesson, we would rush to our cubbies, grab our lunchboxes, and start setting up. The teacher would go to her desk in the back of the classroom and eat her own lunch, watching us in amusement. I would sit down in my seat, front and center, preparing a notebook so I could write down all the sales I'd made that day. All of my suppliers...

Seeking Peer Reviews

galaxy (Hong Kong) published:

The Spanish Omelette.

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

After browsing and watching numerous FoodTube videos by Jamie Oliver and his other colleagues, and enduring the unbearable temptation in the meantime, I had finally discovered the beauty of food. Among all of the videos, the Spanish Omelette has presumably become one of my favourite dishes. In general, it requires just onion, eggs and potatoes. Since only three ingredients are needed, you can never deny that the procedure is as simple as it is. Besides, the ingredients are very affordable....

1

rosemarywisdom (Singapore) published:

"Hipster Food": Flight of Fancy?

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

I'm sure a lot of people are very familiar with this idea of "Hipster Food," an Instagram-worthy, extremely healthy and sometimes daring concept. For those of you who are unaware, the idea of hipster food consists of dishes that are unique, healthy, mostly sustainable and aesthetically pleasing.

Hipster food is a 'surefire' way to whet your palate. The idea is, hipster food is simply a morphing trend, constantly changing and teetering on the edge of cutting-edge, fashionable and exotic cuisine. “Some...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Ethan Gale (United States) published:

They Can Just Beet It

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

Gruesome I would call them, others would call them atrocious, but I think we can all agree that they really are just vile things and we would probably be better off without them. Before written history the beet has been with us and people either seem to shun the beet or cherish it. Children and adults hate beets which is why most farms do not bother to count how many are sold or produced. Today more of the population...

Elan Tsyryulnikov (United States) published:

The food cart

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

If you have ever been in manhattan you probably have seen the plethora of food trucks on the street. They usually sell halal food,hot dogs, and all kinds of street food that you used to beg you mom for (or still do).Well you should never eat their food,the quality is horrendous and the cart are still making a massive amount of money(some can make up to a 100,000 dollars a year). And this is all because of how the are...

Seeking Peer Reviews

emjaeh (United States) published:

Not the Bridge to Freedom

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

The pig screams in protest as the farmer grips a rope around it's neck. The rope rips into the pig's flesh and cuts away the layer of skin. The farmer takes his dirt crusted hands and clutches the pig's meaty body. He yanks the BB gun off of the rack and aims. Carefully he slams down on the trigger and smiles in delight. Here comes the Fourth of July BBQ. 
    Pigs live for about 10-15 years, while when they are...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Samuel Delgado (United States) published:

Grandpas house

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

It was 2007 and i got home from school. I would take the bus home and I was always the first drop off. Everytime I use to get home to no one home so I would wait for my uncle to pick me up and take me to grandpas house. Something so good and something so great would always be waiting for me. Sometimes I would even smell it coming from the kitchen. I wish I could rewind and have...

Tapia (United States) published:

Food Essay

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

Evelin Tapia 
5/22/18
Per.2
Williams
                                                 The Unhealthy of Deep Fried Foods
       Growing up we all had that one favorite food that we love so much and could never get tired of it. Who doesn’t love food, food is amazing. But food also has a side of it that we don’t like. We...

2

Grace Croken (United States) published:

Have You Ever Seen A Peeled Lemon?

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

I dig my thumb into the skin, 
Cutting it through and pulling it up,
Peeling it off the zesty fruit, 
Exposing the flesh,
Letting the juice spill out onto my hand.
It feels sticky.
I let the peels fall to the floor,
As I separate the fruit into,
Bite size pieces.
The air is pungent with acidity.
I pop one into my mouth,
Translucent skin breaks,
Flooding my mouth with a citrus flavor. Tastebuds quiver and my mouth stings.
I squeeze...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ethan Gale (United States) published:

They Can Just Beet It

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

cookieamongstars (United States) published:

Fusion

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

One of my earliest memories is standing by my mother’s side on a chair, watching her hands fold dumplings into careful creases that seemed to blossom like flowers. That time, she had let me break off small chunks of dough. As the years passed by, though, she let me become more and more involved in the process, letting me roll the dough, then make the dough, then fill the dough circles with meat, and finally pressing them together. But the...

1

Fusion

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Autumn Finch (United States) published:

Beyond Calories: Eating Real Food

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

Walk into any store today, and a few phrases jump out at you from nearly every package. "Healthy Options!", "Low-Cal!", "High Protein!" boxes exclaim. We know this is marketing, companies preying on our insecurities and desire to live a long life. Despite this knowledge, these sales tactics seem to be working, and as they do, they're sabotaging our health. 

Of course no one wants to suffer a heart attack, so we need to stay free of heart disease. To do...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sahejpreet Dhillon (Canada) published:

Memories - A Memoir/Reflection

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

The warm, delicious smell of banana bread filled the air as my grandma had taken the loaf fresh out of the oven. I am very fond of my grandma’s cooking, it’s always delectable and warm. “Adelaide dear, could you come over here and cut the loaf into slices please?”. “Sure.”, I replied, walking over to the kitchen. “Gammy, why do you make banana bread every family gathering? Why not bake a chocolate cake?”, I asked, starting to cut the loaf...

Mereum (United States) published:

By the Table

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

Silence blankets my house
The kind that begs to be roused
Then my mother's voice floats up the stairs
'It's time for dinner'
My little sister sits unhappily, her face with dried tears
She'd rather sit in company of the T.V. 
My father sits down his face bitter
from the many events of the day
And I sit by the table, my thoughts still linger 
away, away in my own world
Silence

My mother sets the pasta down and sits ...

Stephenyi30 (United States) published:

Korean Traditional Dish

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

Picking up my chopsticks, I went for straight the middle of the dish which influenced others to do the same. As all of us grabbed a piece, we carefully placed the appetizing side dish into our mouth. Before I could even think, the sour and spicy taste struck my palate in an instant. I kept chewing and felt the crunchiness of the side dish vibrate throughout my whole body. I didn't want to stop eating it! I was placing it...

Josietuong (Canada) published:

Food and Women

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

Asian food, being famous for its rich taste, has a multilayer in terms of seasoning. I lived in Vietnam, a country whose reputation for food is being sharply formed since these recent years, until I was 16 that I immigrated to Canada with my family. After observing the way Vietnamese food is seasoned, and getting used to it, I am now living in a new culture, which means a new style of food, I notice more clearly the difference between...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Isabella Imperatore (United States) published:

Coconut Cream Pie

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

The creamy sweet custard, inside a toasted coconut top, all sit on top of crispy graham cracker crust. My Grandmother's coconut cream pie is one of the best things I've ever tasted. She didn't make it too often, but when she did I was the first to jump at the opportunity of having a nice big slice. 
    When my mother and I would go to visit my Mommom Barbara she would always make a coconut cream...

1

aquamarango (United States) published:

Our Traditions

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

My grandparents have run a restaurant for as long as I can remember. I would sit behind my little desk after school and do my homework and show people to their seats. I always helped out, especially in the summer after 4th grade. That was the first summer I spent with my grandparents continued to raise me after that. They didn't want me to go into the foster care system.
    The restaurant was right on the intersection...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

yeseniahanif (United States) published:

Veganism

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

The blood on sows’ snouts cut by cages so tight they can’t turn around or lie sideways; the racking cries of broken-legged pigs hauled into alleys by dead-eyed workers and left there to die of exposure. The dairy calves removed from their mothers immediately after birth sent to slaughter at around 5 years old, though they have a natural lifespan of more than twenty years. The male chicks, who cannot lay eggs, gassed or ground up alive on the day...

Daniel Rabinovich (United States) published:

School Lunch Vs. Society

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

2355 East 12th Street
                                                                      Daniel Rabinovich 831 ...

1
1

Erica Lees-Smith (United Kingdom) published:

Diabetes-Inducing Consumption Is Getting Out Of Hand (Edit)

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

Isn’t there little better than that oozing scent of sticky, liquidised cocoa beans smacking you in the face as you walk through the door of a desserts café? Or the tantalisingly sweet tingle of syrup on a delicate spongy waffle, only to be cooled by the fresh whipped cream melting away into your mouth? Ugh, I crave it even now. But that is the problem, you see.
The irresistible urge to consume increasingly more delicious food has become so extreme...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Wasif Labib (United States) published:

Rice

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

Rice. It's a food that would be considered a simple, bland dish to many. But that's not truly what it is. Rice is like a blank canvas. Basically, you can eat it with almost anything. It's can a bunch of different colors, although the variety I've eaten the most is white and parboiled. You can eat the soft and moist food with chicken, prepared in any way one wants, even fried, beef (and every other type of...

1

Quahla (Singapore) published:

I Wanna Be a Farmer

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

One of the most peculiar things any teacher has ever said to me was “I want to be a farmer.” These were the words of my secondary school geography teacher, who proclaimed that had she not taken up teaching as a profession, she would be spending her time cultivating vegetation. It is certainly not an occupation that many would aspire to have; in fact, it tends to be one that we urbanites view as menial or laborious. It is a...

Grandpas house

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2018

It was 2007 and i got home from school. I would take the bus home and I was always the first drop off. Everytime I use to get home to no one home so I would wait for my uncle to pick me up and take me to grandpas house. Something so good and something so great would always be waiting for me. Ima tell u what the special thing was.

As we pulled up to the house I would...

Seeking Peer Reviews