All writing published for Selfie-Reflection Competition 2015. See Competition

Published writing

Img 3235

armour-clad (United States) published:

Selfies

PROMPT: Selfie-Reflection Competition 2015

People are beautiful. In life everybody tends to ignore this. People forget to look at other people and see just how amazing and wonderful they are. When people are constantly bombarded with images that remind them they are not beautiful, it is incredibly difficult to look at ones body in a positive light. Selfies are not a cry for attention, they are a demonstration that people are beautiful in a world where nobody feels beautiful.

People say that because this...

Default avatar user icon

Leif Edlin published:

Selfie. Art? or Nah?

Is the selfie a cry for attention? Or is it just another self-portrait? I don't think the selfie is a cry for attention. I blelieve a selfie is just like any other art form. A selfie is just like the famous portrait of George Washington, only it can be taken by onself and be done in an instant. Selfies are personally one of my favorite art form. They can be Beautiful, humerous, ironic, or even scary. The selfie is a...

Default avatar user icon

Olivia Mclenon published:

selfies must stop

Whats the point? Why do we need selfies? Seriously go on instagram and scroll and scroll and scroll past all the selfies.They are pointless like you go somewhere cool with someone and there like "oh my god, lets take a selfie!!!!" The madness needs to stop.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Photo %283%29
1

water&pen (United States) published:

#célfie

“I need to take a selfie.” The words reach my ears from across the oak table. I try my best to withhold the groan threatening to come out. Ugh, selfies. My friend grabs her hulking Samsung Galaxy, purses her lips, adjusts the angle of the phone, and clicks an advantageous picture of her face. Okay, so this sounds like any normal person taking a selfie, right? You see dozens of them each day. Everywhere you go, people are posing in...

Profile pic
2

Jenneth LeeD (United States) published:

How Healthie is the Selfie?

*Scroll...scroll...scroll* The Instagram feed is long again after a day of my social introversion. Not surprisingly, the feed is composed of the same generic content: selfies, food, throwbacks, selfies, Starbucks, transformation pictures, selfies, sunsets, hospital pictures, pets, weekday crushes—and did I mention selfies? This international, social networking phenomenon has deluged the internet as quickly as a flash flood. The question is: how healthy is the selfie? While the trend has been viewed as a modern self-portrait, selfies have also been known to...

Fullsizerender %286%29

Katie K (United States) published:

The Selfie

What is a selfie? It is an image that you take of yourself, sometimes with other people. Truly there are many different kinds of selfies. There's the "Hey, I feel really beautiful today, and I want to capture it to remember the way I did my hair" or "My friends and I are so funny and our goofy faces are ones that I want to keep with me forever". Or even "Oh, look at me and my cleavage. Come be...

Screen shot 2016 07 11 at 10.48.47 pm

lolhaha (United States) published:

To Take or Not To Take

“Sometimes you get so obsessed with wanting society to accept                                                                 you that you forget to accept yourself.”

---- Tim

Five minutes. It’s...

Selfie

Kayla K (United States) published:

But first, let me take a #selfie

"54% of young people using Facebook reported that they have experieced cyberbullying on the social network." (nobullying.com) Although selfies can be an expression of our creativity and ourselves, before posting online one has to realize the consequences that simple click of a button has. Bullying, stalking, and self-esteem issues are all things that you should be cautious of before putting up your next, or first selfie. Just about everyone has access to the internet, which means they have access to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Anyone...

Picture?width=64&height=64

Kiara Marsh published:

The Selfie: Device for self-expression or narcissism?

The Selfie. Whether it’s the classic mirror-in-the-bathroom, the duck face, or the “I’m trying to look like I’m having fun but that may or may not be true” pose; we’ve seen them, and they often bombard our news feed on social media. The question is: What’s the reasoning for this phenomenon? Are we teenagers trying to call attention to, or express ourselves? I think the selfie can potentially be used as a fantastic form of self-expression, however it is often...

Default avatar user icon

AlexaS (United States) published:

The Heart of the Selfie

They’re everywhere. Plastered all over Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, just about any social media you can think of. It seems like everybody’s taken a pose, snapped a pic, and put it up somewhere on the internet. Even the president has posted this contemporary form of self-portraiture known as the selfie.

So many people see selfies as benign. “It’s just another form of self-expression,” they say with a shrug. “No different than a self-portrait, and those have been around for ages.”

Others scoff at the very...

Img 6650

Bailee (Australia) published:

#SelfiesAreRevolutionary

Teenagers are social butterflies that follow the latest trends. A part of these social antics is the Selfie, a self-portrait taken by one’s self. The Selfie can be seen as a self-obsessed habit. This is not the case. The selfie is just another harmless way of people expressing themselves; it’s a way of showing everyone they are who they are. It is a self-expression which helps to radiate self-confidence. The selfie is a part of a new generation which...

F g
2

Phoebe L (United States) published:

Are Selfies Really Corrupting Today's Youth?

According to our parents, we are the children of the “me, me, me!” mindset. We are shallow, vain, attention seeking and painfully naïve, and we owe it all to the epitome of what is wrong with our generation: the selfie. But is the selfie really to blame for the perceived issues of our peer group? The problem is not with our harmless self-portraits, but the way that our society reacts to it. Selfies are an important part of the modern...

Img 3899

fevek12 (United States) published:

I Loathe My Selfie

When you hear the word 'selfie', what comes to mind? Does it really make you think of someone who took a picture of themselves with their front-facing camera, or is there a deeper meaning that has a long term effect? Let’s say a selfie is posted with the caption: ‘Had a bad day’ when in reality that bad day had a deeper meaning of ‘My boyfriend dumped me’ or something along those lines, causing people to ask questions because they...

Img 1062
1

Ella (United States) published:

Selfies Are Here to Stay

Ah, the Golden Age of Technology. A time of laptops, internet, smartphones, and, inevitably, selfies. Selfie-taking is common practice among youth worldwide. They regularly make appearances on our Facebook dashboards and Instagram feeds, so often some may have become nearly blind to their presence. But the world is still in hot debate about this new fad--are selfies merely harmless photographs, or are they the sole cause for narcissism and low self-esteem in young people? I plead the former. Selfies are...

Picture?width=64&height=64
4

Catherine Kalogeros published:

Secret of the Selfie

Over the course of several years, America's teens have experimented with all kinds of new technology. Many teens have begun to express themselves through various sorts of social media whether it be tweeting that they are eating breakfast or posting a picture with their friends. As a fellow teenager, I have seen many different ways of personal expression through social media. The most reoccurring pictures that I see are often selfies. I am guilty of being a selfie taker, along...

Img 3899
1

fevek12 (United States) published:

I Loathe My Selfie

When you hear the word 'selfie', what comes to mind? Does it really make you think of someone who took a picture of themselves with their front-facing camera, or is there a deeper meaning that has a long term effect?

In the word 'selfie' there is the word 'self' and 'ie', which in Latin (according to dictionary.com) is an abbreviation of id est, which means 'that is'. Now technically speaking, the word selfie actually translates to 'self that is'. As...

Img 6650

Bailee (Australia) published:

#SelfiesAreRevolutionary

Teenagers are part of a group of social butterflies that follows the latest trends. A part of these social antics is the Selfie, a self potrait taken by ones self. The selfie can be seen as a self obsessed habit. This is not the case. The selfie is just another harmless way of people expressing themselves, to show the rest of the general public that they are who they are. It is a self expression which helps to radiate self confindence....

Picture?width=64&height=64
1

Kiara Marsh published:

The Selfie. Whether it’s the classic mirror-in-the-bathroom, the duck face, or the “I’m trying to look like I’m having fun but that may or may not be true” pose- we’ve seen them, and they often bombard our news feed on social media. The question is: What’s the reasoning for this phenomenon? Are we teenagers trying to call attention to, or express ourselves? I think the selfie can potentially be used as a fantastic form of self-expression, however it is often...