All writing published for New Year Competition 2015. See Competition

Published writing

Elissa Krause (United States) published:

One Moment

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

Beep! Beep! Beep! My harsh alarm clock woke me up with the same shocking blast every morning. It was like waking up to a bucket of ice water dumped over my head. I had created quite the same effect by placing my clock across the room on the bookcase. If I desired peaceful silence, which I very much did at five thirty in the morning; then I had to spring from the warmth of my bed, stumble blindly across the...

jasonstarlight (India) published:

Dungeons and Daggers

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

I stare at the dagger, the sun's cold light creeping up on me in the fearful cracks of the stone walls. My silver breath frosting the blade, like the silver spirits trapped inside the children and women, men and mages of this forsaken dungeon. At least there is a window, even if it remained pathetically small. The enticement and hope on the children’ faces are like knives to my heart. The ghosts just grumble, but even they know, as well as the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

jasonstarlight (India) published:

Dungeons and Daggers

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

Azun (United States) published:

7th Grade[2013-14]

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

There was something different about this year. I met lots of people and became friends with people I never would have thought of hanging out with. What happened to me? Did I change? Mature, perhaps? My new friends are fun, out-going, cheerful pretty much the opposite of me. The first person I considered my BFF in Elementary, has left me for other people, but she fits in. She is cheerful, talkitive, but serious. What about me? I don't fit in with...

jasonstarlight (India) published:

Dungeons and Daggers

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

1

Annabella Twomey (United States) published:

Salt and Pepper

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

"Quinoa salad with lemon juice, kale, red cabbage, hummus, and avocado," my mother declares, beaming. I look up at her questioningly, then down at the bowl she has placed in front of me. It looks good enough, bursting with a "rainbow of color you should always see on your plate" being my mom's latest mantra. I stick my fork in and swirl the different ingredients together obediently. 

This isn't the first time a new dish has been set out, but...

6

Ash (United States) published:

The Trouble With This Year

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

There was something about this year. What was it? Oh yeah, the universe wanted to kill me. Or just drive me insane. Possibly both.
Oh, right, intros. I'm Trouble, and don't get any ideas: I'm not giving you my birth name. I'm a Federal Alchemist, so as far as the military is concerned, the codename is my real name. Either way, it fits.

"Kid." 

I hold back a sigh. It's the head of the military's blond secretary, Mike. Working directly under literally...

Grace Hammond (Australia) published:

An Innocent Love

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

When she dies, the baby screams. As the floor crashes open and the rope loses its slack, the child wails in protest against the thudding noise. It tears its gaze away from the warmth of the mother’s chest and raises its eyes to the swaying body displayed before the crowd. The dangling limbs and the spine protruding through neck. The piece of bloodied meat strung up in the butcher’s window.
“Hush now, sweet one,” the mother sings, and ushers the...

Grace Hammond (Australia) published:

An Innocent Love

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

Melliot (United States) published:

Under the Spotlight

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

I can see the tiny particles of dust floating in and out of the spotlights. The freezing temperature backstage sends chills up my spine. My goosebumps develop not only from the temperature, but from the unsettling fear that is welling up inside of me as the seconds tick on and on, closer to the moment yet to come. I rub my fingers on my neck, wiping away the sweat.

My fear intensifies inside of me as the strike of the...

3

Jake T. published:

Knocking

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

November, Two Thousand and Fourteen.  The weather was just beginning to turn to a familiar briskness, characteristic of late New England autumns, and summer had begun to move onwards to the south.  Yet there was something different about this year.  This time, the cold gave no warning.  It lay in ambush and, entrapped as we were by the banality of routine, struck in a flash of frost.  A radiant sun brushed our faces for but a moment more, and by the time the moon again spun...

Shalom Kouaka published:

New Year New Hope

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

As the clock strook 12 and the grips of 2014 finally slipped away from my hand, a shiver went along my body. Me being in church I thought it was the positive energy and the hopeful nature I had in faith. As I buckle the seat belt in my fathers car to head home I remember every new years day before that I could. There was always a sense of excitiment but there was never a shiver, one hour later...

2

Annamaria Vivar published:

The Bench

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

I've been waiting for hours outside the airport in my car for my nephew, Carter, to come in. His mom, my sister, called me about a week ago to inform me that he was having a tough time adjusting to his new school and wasn't making the best decisions. She asked me if it was okay if she sent him to me for a couple days so I could straighten him out. When I was his age, I...

1

Mallorie Cheves (United States) published:

Bane of Burdens

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

Oh my goodness I hate when my patients refuse to speak, Simon thought to himself. He sat uncomfortably in front of a new face in his office. Her crimson tinted hair hung lazily across a little more than half of her face.

It's against regulations to force patients to speak. However, he didn't see a point in blankly staring at someone for $150 an hour, without so much as a "hello," or, "my name is (insert name here.)"

She...

Ainsleigh (United States) published:

Before

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

There was something different about this year, the one you asked about.

Perhaps because it was my first year; the first year.

There have been many years since this beginning one, but each of them feels more like an instant, with no transitions between them. A close friend of mine, Lux, is rather fast like these years, too. We used to race when we were kids, but I hardly have the ability to reach a desination as she does, so my efforts then were pointless. She has...

Bane of Burdens

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

Oh my goodness I hate when my patients refuse to speak, Simon thought to himself. He sat uncomfortably in front of a new face in his office. Her crimson tinted hair hung lazily across a little more than half of her face. It's against regulations to force patients to speak, but he didn't see a point in blankly staring at someone for $150 an hour, without so much as a "hello," or, "my name is (insert name here.)" She reminded him...

Bane of Burdens

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

1
1

Sarah D (Australia) published:

Sunlit Horizon

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

I always loved being outside in the morning. The property was so different without the blazing sun, the active animal population and the noisy sound of bush work. In the morning it was still, silent, waiting. I felt like it was waiting for me, so I never made it wait long.

I would wake up at 3:30 exactly and sneak out of bed so I wouldn't wake mum, dad and my brother Sean, even though they all knew where I went in the mornings....

Henry published:

The Year I Became a Mythological Figure

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

I know this is possibly the most cliche way to start a story, but I knew this year was going to be different. However I didn't know if different meant good or bad. Or both. Let's go back to the beginning of the year: January first.

Who doesn't love New Years? Me. I hate parties, I hate people, and most of all I hate new. I don't like changes, I like constants. Change is unpredictable but constants are completely...

Grace Hammond (Australia) published:

An Innocent Love

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

1

Hari Narayanan published:

Shards of Slumber, Drops of Eternity

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

A gray flash darts across a new layer of snow, a line of footprints peppering the Alaskan ground that the pristine white powder has hardly breathed upon. The streak continues until it collapses in a minute bundle of pulsating fur, a wintry gale ripping through the squirrel’s subtle frame. The creature shakily rights itself before casting a furtive glance forwards. Just ahead lies its salvation. Just there, is the forest of slumber. The bed and board of the rodent for...

Bryce Moulton published:

A New System

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

A New System

I stop to take a sentimental first step into the building that I will be in for the next four years, but get unceremoniously pushed forward by the crowd swelling up behind me. I look around at all the smiling faces of friends seeing each other for the first time in a while and look hoping to see a familiar face. I don’t see a single one in the rolling sea of unfamiliar teenagers, so I...

One Moment

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

One Moment

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

One Moment

PROMPT: New Year Competition 2015

Beep! Beep! Beep! 
    My harsh alarm clock woke me up with the same shocking blast every morning. It was like waking up to a bucket of ice water dumped over my head. I had created quite the same effect by placing my clock across the room on the bookcase. If I desired peaceful silence, which I very much did at five thirty in the morning; then I had to spring from the warmth of my bed, stumble blindly across...