All writing published for Op-Ed Competition 2018. See Competition

Published writing

61d7d9cf bdc7 4055 93cf 36d926dd2173

Violeta Nicola (Romania) published:

How Hollywood and Social Media affect Gender Equality

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

There are so many problems in this world that need solutions but how can we, as a society, try to find solutions to these problems if women and men don’t work together as a team? How can we ever live in a democratic world if women are seen as objects meant for the needs of the man? 
            By definition, feminism is the advocacy of women’s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes. For all of...

Large user3137525 1639030

ifitzsimons (United States) published:

Student's Time to Speak Up

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Children are dying. We are in a time of domestic peace and children are dying. There is a saying, “In peace, sons bury fathers. In war, fathers bury sons.”
Yet, this is a time of “peace,” and parents are burying their children. Their murdered children. We go to school every day and we never expect anything to go wrong, but now we are at risk that every day in school could be our last. That is no way to live. ...

Screenshot 2018 05 14 at 1.33.26 pm

Tyler Bonner (United States) published:

Teens

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Many teens run away from home. Does anyone ever really know why? Nobody knows what a person is going through at home or at school. Everyone just says they seemed fine. They do alway seem fine when you talk to someone going through something but never really notices something is wrong until they runaway. Some of go into drug or alcohol use. Not all of them do drugs or drink alcohol but runaway from the problem they are facing. Some...

Img 2989
1

Illuera (Australia) published:

Respect For the Feminists

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

What do you treasure most that you own? Is it a book, or a pet? A statue or a toy? I am quite proud of my ability to talk - no matter how fast - to people about what's important to me. Honestly, I'm surprised at how much backlash people just like me have been receiving for talking about things that matter to them. One group in particular is the feminists. 
I know, you're probably sick of the feminist tak,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 3291
3
1

littlered9 (United States) published:

The difference between beating and disciplining your children

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Today world is filled with conflicts about spanking and/or poping your kids for discipline purposes. The reasons these things occur is because of simple minded people assuming that they are always right and that the problems will work themselves out. Well in some instances that may be correct, but that is not always the case. Sometimes just saying that "No dont do that or stop" dont always work. When children are younger they learn habits that stay with them their...

Default avatar user icon

Coral Figueroa (United States) published:

Saving The Earth One Tree At a Time

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Are you doing enough for your environment? Many people don't even notice the effect they have on their environment and in the world. For example, when you're going about your normal day do you ever stop to think about the trees and where everything comes from?  Almost everything we use is made of trees, paper, wooden pencils, our bed frames, our homes, etc. We all use things made of wood but have we ever stopped to think when is it enough when will...

Default avatar user icon

Saving The Earth One Tree At a Time

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Default avatar user icon

Zzjj12 (United States) published:

The artical

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

It tells me how many experiences are. And where i would want to go. Makes me feel like I wanna go explore new things, and meet new people. Makes me want to go out and explore diffrent things and try diffrent things.

Atp02a

AdenosineTriphosphate (United States) published:

Democracy: A Criticism

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

We inherently think of democracies and institutions founded upon representatives to be more free than those that rely fully upon a single ruler but I believe that this notion is not truly correct and is a very faulty arguments. This is a notion that is highly prevalent in our modern system of education. This idea that we should immediately and without refutation associate governments similar to ours as unequivocally good and those opposed to ours as inherently suffering from maligned...

Download

McDaddy (United States) published:

Pro-Choice vs. Pro-Life

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Abortion is one of those controversial topics that we will probably never stop discussing and arguing about. People will always be either for or against a persons right to choose. Those against will provide the same arguments they always do- a fetus deserves a right to life, the mother should have been more responsible, that the mother should carry the child to term and place it up for adoption, are the most frequent that I myself have argued...

Default avatar user icon

Dawson (United States) published:

Lessons

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Lessons, they are funny in the sense that many times the same lessons can be given and nothing being learned. This always comes back to the age old saying: ¨Those don't learn history are doomed to repeat it¨. The world has unsurprisingly forgotten this fact many times and no generation is safe from this case of species wide alzheimer's. Whether it be destruction at the hands of man made weapons, or the wrongs done to innocents ignored because of...

Img 20170704 162504

PRiNCioLoGY (Nigeria) published:

The act

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Post deleted

Default avatar user icon
1

Gabrielle Blankenship (United States) published:

gun control

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Currently in today society there is a big argument about gun control and how we should handle it. Some political groups believe that guns should be taken away all together and others believe that they should be given to teachers or for nothing to be done at all because it is our right to have weapons. However, with all the problems that have been happening i believe it is unsympathetic to the families and victims to do nothing at all...

Download %2810%29

ash.murray_14 (Australia) published:

the Beatitudes to be followed

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

The Beatitudes guide people to act on what is just and right, to help others and the world that we live in. The different beatitudes show different teachings and are relevant to different situations, the beatitudes link to the topic, gun violence in schools because they steer people on what to do in unjust or unfair situations. An example of this is ‘Blessed are the pure of heart’; this links with the topic of gun violence in schools because it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Ryan Sumoski (United States) published:

Defending Our Flag

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Colin​ ​Kaepernick​ ​caused​ ​controversy​ ​on​ ​several​ ​different​ ​levels​ ​with​ ​his statements​ ​and​ ​objections.​ ​Kaepernick​ ​has​ ​rights​ ​to​ ​enact​ ​as​ ​he​ ​did,​ ​but​ ​it​ ​does​ ​not indicate​ ​it​ ​is​ ​permitted​ ​to​ ​do​ ​it.​ ​By​ ​sitting​ ​during​ ​the​ ​national​ ​anthem,​ ​Kaepernick’s decisions​ ​were​ ​not​ ​very​ ​intelligent​ ​for​ ​his​ ​purpose​ ​to​ ​stand​ ​up​ ​for​ ​African American​ ​rights.​ ​He​ ​has​ ​little​ ​understanding​ ​of​ ​what​ ​he​ ​is​ ​operating​ ​in.​ ​The​ ​events, he​ ​believes,​ ​that​ ​have​ ​occurred​ ​for​ ​his​ ​logic​ ​of​ ​his​ ​declaration​ ​are​ ​not​ ​as​...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Ryan Sumoski (United States) published:

Defending Our Flag

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Seeking Peer Reviews

21462755 10213764883345814 7273791452703243006 n

Faye (Canada) published:

Just Be Good

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Anyone who has enough guts to try and change the world, or, at least their situation, most likely has the guts to public speak in the first place. Thundering loud and inspirational words at a crowd definitely would not seem out of character for these people, and although they might get a positive cheer and leave a lingering thought; those immediate responses from the crowd rarely turn into action.  People love to be apart of something, and as much...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Large user3137525 1639030

ifitzsimons (United States) published:

Student's Time to Speak Up

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

hildren are dying. We are in a time of domestic peace and children are dying. There is a saying, “In peace, sons bury fathers. In war, fathers bury sons.”

Default avatar user icon

Empty Paradoxes (United States) published:

Protection For The Rich As Climate Change Continues To Destroy Homes

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

From 1908 to 1912, three harbor moles (west, east, and training) were built on the Atlantic ocean side of the commodore channel. Circa 1958, humans started dredging the Commodore Chanel and Lagos Lagoon for easier transportation and construction purposes. Over the course of roughly 100 years, the Lagos Bar Beach has receded over 1 Kilometer while the Lighthouse beach has expanded circa 800 meters due to a combination of...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Picture?width=64&height=64
1

matthew1scott13harris59 (United States) published:

Why? ™

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

this got written x years ago
behoves this update version of a bozo
christened sans parents
playing eeny meeny miny moe,

yet upon tiring of game with a no
nonsense attitude
eventually decided on Not Nada Poe
Whit - Walt har vee gong to call So and So?

Now, you probably wonder and ask
yarself y am.i. On a wishy washy
web site - far tis to bask
in offline and/or online friendship

as like quaffing from a flask
with...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Glowwolf
2

silverwisp (United States) published:

Social Media's Effects on Teens

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Nearly 2.5 billion people used social media in 2017, and it has its own effect on every user. Our world has been dramatically affected by the creation of social media. Social media, also called social networking, has been a cause of debate for years due to the mixed effects it has on teenagers. Many believe it to be a negative influence on young minds, and argue that it causes mental health issues, sleep deprivation, and decreased productivity. On the other...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Daniel Molano (United States) published:

Final draft

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

The frightened monkey in the small cage had started to back away from the front of the cage when the man in the white lab coat started to approach its cage. The monkey had endured years of abuse by the hands of the men that experimented on it. The man began to take the monkey out with ease despite its pointless attempts to escape. With help from his fellow workers they began to strap the monkey down on the table....

Default avatar user icon

Monica Rodriguez (United States) published:

Why do Teens Run Away from Home?

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

Cupo
2

Grace Mary Potts (Australia) published:

Learning from Their Mistakes: How Network Television Needs to Change

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

About two weeks ago, I made the decision to finally watch Prison Break in the wake of its recent revival. As you would expect based on the title, the series regales viewers with the thrilling tale of Michael Scofield, a structural engineer who purposefully gets himself arrested one month before his elder brother is due to be executed for a crime he didn’t commit. Having failed to prove his brother’s innocence the traditional way, Scofield spent the previous year developing...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

Swilson56558 (United States) published:

Curfews?

PROMPT: Op-Ed Competition 2018

There’s a well-known saying that nothing good ever happens after midnight. Millions of teens have been arrested for breaking curfew all over the world. Curfew laws are typically the state and local people that prohibit teens of a certain age under 18 from being in public or in a certain area. It is normally during certain hours such as between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. (“10 Primary Pros and Cons of Teenage Curfew” 2015). For reasons such as drug...

Seeking Peer Reviews