All writing published for Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018. See Competition

Published writing

halcy (United States) published:

The Monster in Her Daughter

PROMPT: Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

“I'm sorry,” said the specialist. “The monster is in Tabbi’s nervous and circulatory systems, but removing it could hurt Tabbi, there's nothing we can do,” she smiled with a thin smile. “Otherwise, it's a healthy baby.”

"I do not understand. I took the vaccines as recommended, how did this happen?" asked Tabbi’s mom.

“Sometimes it's just that we study the virus, it's so new and ... well.” She hesitated, There’s a support group that meets once a week for families...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

KLG (United States) published:

Skin-Deep Monster

You looked human, once. Handsome in your younger days, red heart pumping blood so clean and crisp you hardly felt it. But now it struggles, oozing thick and black like molasses under your once-skin. It must’ve been witchcraft. Bit by bit, the scars began to taint little pieces of you, so slowly that at first you dismissed them as coincidence. Didn’t see the connection. But as your skin began to boil, the corners of you began to rot… you noticed...

3
1

Kahasai (United States) published:

Chenquin

It's said that it came from the ocean. What's known for sure is that it comes with the rain.
    People are terrified of it. That is understandable. It would be terrifying for you if it was your child who disappeared.
    It is called many things. Spirit, specter, will-o'-the-wisp. It prefers the name Chenquin.

The Chenquin comes at night with the darkest of storms. It hides in the resonance of raindrops and its voice is the sound...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Ursa (United States) published:

The Slender Man

I was on the playground when he came.
Standing at the top of the slide I saw him first, a long dark shadow in the trees. I watched him come closer, slow and steady like the lengthening shadow of the trees as the sun goes down.

"Look!" a boy said.

The swings slowed to a small creaking and a hush spread as we watched the man's slow, lumbering walk toward us. We saw the long limbs, taking long strides, and...

1

isabel.marie (United States) published:

Pressure

There was poison in her veins, thick and dark and deadly, swimming beneath her smooth skin.
        The clerk handed her the change, and, mindful not to touch hum, she let the coins fall into her palm. The poison jumped when the clerk’s hand neared hers, pushing up, straining her skin and dying it purple.
        “Have a nice day, miss.”
        Exiting, she looked around. The city noise rose around her, she felt as a pressure in her ear, like she’d sunk...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Dragodeus (Philippines) published:

Hiding in Plain Sight

There is pain, suddenly, sharp and fleeting: her hand connects with his cheek, and the silence that follows the resounding slap is thick and tangible.

Apologies come rushing forth, practiced and familiar, and a hand comes up to cup reddened skin, thumb brushing away the lingering sting.

His eyes, shiny with the tears he refuses to shed, are hard as he pushes her away. There is confusion, and indignation, and it is her tears that are the first to escape.
...

AspringInspiration38 (United States) published:

They Call it Human

"The rumors of an intruder are true."

The President begins his speech with this, and the vibrant buzz of the crowd halts.

"I advise," he turns to the cameras. "that you shield the ears of your children or send them to bed."

He waits for the children that he can't see to be shuffled to their bedrooms.

"Our scientists agree that this creature is not natural. The faint of heart should leave immediately."

When the President says "creature" like it disgusts...

Seeking Peer Reviews

20ab86@cis.dk (Denmark) published:

Control

Control- it's a funny thing. It's easy to maintain for some and for others, the less lucky, it's rare to hold. It slips through fingers like air and hangs teasingly around the head, quivering in the periphery. Ever since humans went into the era of Artificial Intelligence frenzy, they gave up their control. That's how he gained his.
    In 2068, scientists finished creating Kratos in a lab. It took decades to plan his features down to the smallest detail. Once...

20ab86@cis.dk (Denmark) published:

Control

Epic_fantasy (United States) published:

The monster: Mime or Mimicker?

I stare at the monster in front of me, it stares back. 

I'm stunned into silence.

I blink, 
             It blinks.

Mime, or mimicker?
Mime, or mimicker? 

The question runs laps in my head like a broken record.

the monster bares its teeth, lips trembling like the aftershocks of an earchquake.
It's eyes, two polluted oceans with violent waves. The waves overlap, glide down the beach that makes up its face. 

I tentatively reach out...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Connor.Chang (United States) published:

The Monster In Your Dreams

As the widow returned home from a tedious day of work, all she wanted was a warm dinner and a soft, snug bed to sleep in. She slipped into bed after a well-deserved meal. The instant she fell asleep, the old feeble woman descended into a devastating onslaught of memories.

She was back outside. Feeling vaguely disconcerted, she took out her keys, having returned from work. As she creaked open the door, the horrifying memory of her late husband's death rushed...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

ariadne_1246 (United States) published:

The Girl With The Itch

"So Adam, tell us about how you met this girl, Francis." Adam bit his lip anxiously. 
    "She showed up one week ago. She was in my algebra class. Every few seconds her hand would reach behind her heavy black locks to rub her neck. Before class was over she had asked me to coffee on Saturday. I wasn't about to turn up a mysterious date with a pretty girl. When I went to hug her, she winced when...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Isabella Fleites (United States) published:

it's not like you can help him

Blank eyes gazed at Eleanor, blank eyes that once belonged to her father. Blank eyes that now stared from this horrible, undead creature Eleanor had chained in the garage. She had planned to kill it today, to put it out of its misery, but all that she could think of when she saw that far too familiar face was her dad. Herdad. His kindness, his creativity, his laugh. Where had everything gone so wrong? Why couldn't she just end...

Seeking Peer Reviews

joyful.jessica (United States) published:

Don't Follow Me

“Phenomenal,” you breathe.
But your companions are no longer here to agree.
You’re alone.
With me.
“Hello?”
You aren’t scared yet, but…
The lights go out.
You begin to doubt this fantasy I've brought you to. Before, these trees glowed. This sky’s stars fell down and dangled right in front of your nose until you sneezed. Each dew drop was a silky symphony composed of crystals.
But thanks to me, this forest knows darkness.
Oh, yes. I have struck. It's far...

Rida A (United States) published:

Darkness

Its gleaming eyes stare back at me in the dark while I sit curled up on my bed.  The world outside disappears. Its claws glisten in the dark like knives on the night of a murder.  I don’t let a tear escape my eyes, worried it will make it stronger.
It whispers into my ear, “You will never be good enough,” and I believe it.  I let it torture me, it slowly crushes my soul.  It’s been here for months...

Seeking Peer Reviews

hresnick (United States) published:

We Didn't See Him Coming

People all over the world know him. They talk of him in disgust, ridicule, and fear. He has been famous for many years, but only recently has he become so scary. We try not to think about him but somehow his presence always lingers. He inhabits our mind and stops us from sleeping; oh, what a monster.    
   He lives in this abhorrently large house which I think he stole from its rightful owner. She would have loved the...

Teresa Hammann (United States) published:

In My Mind

Whispers screaming in my head, bouncing off my skull.
(I want them to stop staring, but their glowing eyes swallow me whole.)
Spinning room and shaking walls, keeping me from sleep.
(I fall every time I try to stand. I can’t get out.)
Tears that feel like acid rain, burning through my face.
(They do not belong to me. Nevertheless, they drowned my past and my future swims in them.)
Breaths that never bring much air take me farther down. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

GRACE LIAN (United States) published:

Emerald thieves

“Galains are treacherous creatures known for their thievery. It is terribly difficult to capture them because of their mist. The mist hides their true forms but that isn’t the only use they have for it. When the galain decides he is feeling threatened he sends a green mist to surround the attacker. As soon as the mist engulfs the offender, it starts working its magic. Their eyes turn blank and they are thrown into a whirlwind of memories...

Seeking Peer Reviews

BlueGold (Canada) published:

The Inky Black Abyss

When we fall asleep, when our mind is at its most vulnerable, a tug-of-war begins in our consciousness. An intangible force pulls us towards the darkest part of our mind, our Box of Forbidden Thoughts, where our most humiliating secrets, hopeless desires and dreadful memories are locked away. 

"I can't hold on anymore, it's too hard," whimpered Nakuru.
"Yessssss, that's right... It'll be ssssssssso much easssssssier if you come with me..." hissed Vetiti, her long, transparent tentacles pulling him towards...

1

AK123 (Korea, Republic of) published:

Cajoled

The officer asked me for the third time, “Why did you do it, LEWIS?”
“I didn’t, and the name’s Jamal Williams,” I answered for the third time.
In the back seat, strapped and handcuffed, I was now suspected to be the Lustful Evil Werewolf In Seattle; newspapers must have printed this out already. Everybody had known about these creatures, but now victims were increasingly revealing their own experiences; "Society will no longer tolerate," they protested.
“So why did you do...

Seeking Peer Reviews

it's not like you can help him

Blank eyes gazed at Eleanor. Blank eyes that once belonged to her father. Blank eyes that now stared from this horrible, undead creature Eleanor had chained in the garage. She had planned to kill it today, to put it out of its misery, but all that she could think of when she saw that far too familiar face was her dad. Herdad. His kindness, his creativity, his laugh. Where had everything gone so wrong? Why couldn't she just end...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Amelia :) (United States) published:

The Monster Under the Bed

Hisssssssss....  The  soft muttering failed to cease, even as Emma desperately clutched her ears. Emma shuddered, and cautiously looked around her room, searching in the shadows for for The Monster. The Monster only came at night, out from under her bed after her mommy left. Maybe The Monster won't come tonight... Emma thought, staring intently into her closet. Click. A long clawed hand slowly reached out from the bed and tapped on the floor. The Monster was here. 
    "Mommy!...

13

lemonwren (United States) published:

Devilled Eggs

You thought grocery stores were reliable. That the food industry, all that flashing steel and conveyor belts, blue-shirted men grumbling between sips of burnt coffee, could be trusted to produce a normal carton of eggs. That’s all you wanted. Twelve Grade A large eggs in a squeaky, pink styrofoam container. One dollar and 42 cents, plus tax. Simple. Or so you thought.

You were running late that morning. Unusually late. You must have pressed the wrong button on your alarm,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

20ab86@cis.dk (Denmark) published:

Control

Control- it's a funny thing. It's easy to maintain for some and for others, the less lucky, it's rare to hold. It slips through fingers like air and hangs teasingly around the head, quivering in the periphery. Since humans went into the era of Artificial Intelligence frenzy, they gave up their control. That's how he gained his.
In 2068, scientists finished creating Kratos in a lab. It took decades to plan his features down to the smallest detail. Once he...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Kahasai (United States) published:

Chenquin

Seeking Peer Reviews