All writing published for Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018. See Competition

Published writing

AlsAPal (United States) published:

The Pygmies in the Mountains

PROMPT: Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

Just off the Cramprix Mountains on the Eastern side of the globe is where I first found them sleeping together in packs, some awake, jumping up out of the water to absorb the sun’s rays. Their origins, older than time, are what truly set them apart from anything I have studied.
    I keep my distance as I again approach their mating sanctuary, snapping pictures for my gallery. It’s their molting season, where the younglings lose their calcified outer exterior...

1

elizabeth999 (United States) published:

Flash Fiction - The Siren and the Prince

Once there was a prince. He was a young man of twenty six years of age. He was brave and handsome, but very vain. One day, the prince was walking along the sandy shores of the beach near his castle, when he happened upon a beautiful young woman in the water. He approached her, asking her if she needed help. To which she replied, “I cannot leave the water.” The prince waded to her, and upon looking closer, he noticed...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Anna blue (United States) published:

There's not much difference between us

They say I’m a monster, and maybe I am. There's not much difference between us. I’m tall and lanky with pale white skin. Like you my lips are full and pink and my nails are long and white. I can’t grow hair on my head. I have two legs and two feet just like everyone else.  I have felt the wonders and butterflies of love, the warmth, and protection of my mother holding me as a child. I’ve had the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Maria Laudizi (Italy) published:

Baby monster

It was a newborn monster. Kyle said that certainly I had never heard about this monster before in any fairy-tale or story, so he offered to tell me all about him.
He was formed by fire, earth and air, a glorious mix that in centuries time finally created the most horrific and gruesome being in all the lands.
He looks like a six foot, oversized bulldog. He wears a harsh metal collar strewn in ardent flames. His eyes reflect the...

Peach (Canada) published:

Are You There?

I closed my eyes, leaned my head back against the pillow, and prayed.
“God, are you there?” The answer came almost immediately.
Of course. I’m always here for you. I frowned. That sounded kind of pretentious.
“Is that really you?”
Who else? A grotesque, grinning head rose up in my mind and mouthed the words. I opened my eyes and took a deep breath. Then I closed my eyes again and pushed the disturbing image aside.
“God.”
Why, hello there. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

HeyThereRose (United Kingdom) published:

Monster reflection

"Once upon a time a monster broke into the castle ..."

The children in front of me gasp. 

"It was huge, with big teeth and claws and blue, startlingly blue, eyes..."

"eyes like yours?" 

I glare incredulously at him.

"no. Nothing like mine"

Jenny tugs at my arm.

"Why was it there?"

I wasn't used to interruptions.

"it was... lost. Anyway... the monster had fangs dripping with blood, lethal claws and..."

"What does lethal mean?"

I'm getting into this now...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Kiwigummy (United States) published:

The Wampus Cat

“My cousin told me that his roommate once met a wampus cat around these parts.”
“He met a what?”
“A wampus cat,” Kyle repeated. “Legend tells of a Cherokee woman who interrupted a sacred ritual and was cursed by an ancient shaman. She was transformed into this half-woman, half-panther chimera and now prowls these mountains, preying on hapless travelers.”
I was drinking my fourth beer since we’d begun tracking and had built some tolerance to Kyle’s yarns. Meanwhile, Kyle...

Seeking Peer Reviews

AlaynaK (United States) published:

The Real Monsters

Our town was normal enough. We had jerky people, self-absorbed people, and immature people. I’m pretty sure my friend, Ellie, and I are the only people who care about other people and things. Well anyways, one day monsters just appeared everywhere. Shadows creeping around every corner, demons patrolling the streets, and ghouls racing through the houses. People used weapons of all kinds to defend themselves. Weapons were scattered over the ground like sugar on a donut. It was the same...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Mads (United States) published:

We're all Monsters Here

A monster that was what I was.  It was the only thing to describe me.  Ugly like a monster, hated like a monster, killing like a monster.  I dash through a field, cries of hate and of fear follow me like the plague.  Wheat stalks whip at my cheeks as I stumble through the endless grasses. My legs burn, I've been running for so long.  Every day of my life, there's just more... running.  My legs start to fail...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Mads (United States) published:

We're all Monsters Here

Seeking Peer Reviews

Cindi Thornbury (United States) published:

Enemies of the Guardians

We refer to them as Stalkers. The name's origin is a mystery, but it’s been their moniker for as long as I can remember. They are our natural enemies, in fact, they were once a part of us. We are guardians, users of thaumatology unique to each individual, but still human in every sense of the word. They are something else, monsters who were once humans, more specifically, guardians who committed an unforgivable taboo. They craved power, the power to...

1

b lank (China) published:

On the Creation and End of the Sun

It started out with a kraken and a dream.
A kraken, who sailed west in a bid to catch the sun.
Every day, it chased the sun. Along the way it met many obstacles. First it met fishes, which it ate. Next it met an iceberg, which it broke. Then it met an Armada, which it sank.
On its journey, it has encountered notable targets. It halted the Manhattan Project, having detonated the world’s Uranium supply. It collided with Mount...

b lank (China) published:

On the Creation and End of the Sun

1

k_dunn (United States) published:

The Unseen

The creatures that lurk in the dark, watching your every move. You somehow know they’re there. You could feel like someone's watching you, or you could get goosebumps randomly. The telltale signs are often ignored, because “ghosts can’t be real”. However I can prove they are, because I am one.
    I’m not your typical 16 year old ghost, I died in a car wreck on my 16th birthday. I was test driving my new car! As you can...

6
1

LyraLynne (United States) published:

The Monster in Me

We all have our fears. For me, spelling bees are an absolute nightmare. Standing up in front of people to show how “smart” you are, and if you get something wrong, you’re a laughing stock. I despise it. Introverts don’t do “public speaking.”
    “Pandora, your word is fat.”
    “Look, he’s talking about you.”
    “Fat. F-A-T fat.”
    “That’s correct.” As I made my way back to my seat, I saw a flicker of movement. No, I thought desperately, ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AlienFromPluto (United Kingdom) published:

NightMonster

There have been many a monster in the land of men and nightmares. Demons and Gods, wizards and beasts.
But, perhaps, the reason this beast was king of them all was His monstrous beauty. As evil and perfect as night. A God among mortals, a beast among more. He was nameless, yet was known under many names. He was all that he was not. He was the first among the universe. It was the darkness that ruled, it was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

mossmachinery (Philippines) published:

contradistinguish.

There lies an innate fear of the darkness in all of us. It limits, it blinds, it hides things we know are there but we'd rather not see. 

But to some, darkness is comfort. 
It envelops you in it's constant embrace, concealing you from the rest of the world. 

Darkness is often thought of as something evil. 

But really, in the darkness, you cannot separate the good from the wicked. Angels hidden in black cloaks or demons draped in white robes,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Violeta Nicola (Romania) published:

The Forgotten Story of Their Existence

At the beginning of creation itself, it has been thought that water roamed our planet and dry land was a concept of fantasies. Because of the previous statement,no wonder that it has been believed the ocean was a place of hiding to mysterious creatures like sea serpents and mermaids.
         Ever since we were young, we were told of the beautiful mermaids that roamed our waters and drowned men at sea. We...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Changing Accounts (United States) published:

my monster.

On the day of my birth, there was a lightning storm. The storm set the sky aglow and some of the trees in my grandma’s yard caught on fire. The world was a whirl of purples and yellows and blues. My mom was going to have me a lot earlier than she wanted to.

I was born with a monster clinging tight to my arm, refusing to let go. They couldn’t remove the monster. It was just there. Sure, they...

1

HollyDays (Japan) published:

The Company

The Company lives to please. The smiling sun in the corner of the family portrait you drew in your early days at daycare. Funny ridiculousness. I mean, who would want to balance the light switch between ON and OFF?

The Company doesn't want you to be lonely. So it became your best friend as a child. The endless bursts of adrenaline and all your imaginary friends. The lava you loved to play with in the living room. The question, "Why is...

Seeking Peer Reviews

cookes (Australia) published:

Closer

Do you ever have problems with words? Do you ever want to know where those words go? You lie in bed thinking what you could have said but couldn’t say it and you curse yourself for it. My name is Closer. I am there every second you open your mouth. I stop those words. I stuff them deep in your tummy. I am the thing you are most afraid of, the thing you curse at night and in your dreams....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Piper Butcher (Australia) published:

Lights Out

I could see a light. Coming from what seems like my bathroom. The light wasn’t on when I went to bed, I thought. As I walked down the hall and reached the door, I could see the light shining brighter…and brighter. Once I opened the door, the light had vanished. ‘Shrug it off’ I thought, slowly falling back asleep as I walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water. The wooden floor creaked beneath my socks. I hear...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Shanti (New Zealand) published:

a monster shared is a monster disappeared

A monster lives in my heart. The monster lives in my heart.
It sounds cliched, but it's my own kind of curse, and it's one I was born with: each beat leads me closer to my fate. That's terrifying.
I can speak about it abstractly, metaphorically. The monster could be everyone's monster: time, encroaching, inevitable, whispering succlent and poisoned promises. I can't help but see life that way.
But no, I have a worse monster. Not a health condition, or...

Shanti (New Zealand) published:

2
2

TerenNeret (Malaysia) published:

Of Scales And Song

Made of monsters, made of stone.
It’s been a week since school started and the looks haven’t stopped. Of course they wouldn’t, what did I expect? But walking into maths halted my breath. Body frozen in motion. Conversation ceased; eyes forming a spotlight of blue, brown and green. Some called me a dragon, a snake, a reptile. But everyone knew me as monster. Instinctively, I let my long locks cover my face, ambling speedily to my seat. It shouldn’t be...
Seeking Peer Reviews