All writing published for Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018. See Competition

Published writing

2
1

Hello, Nostalgia (United States) published:

Nyctophobia

PROMPT: Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

I lay on my cot in the corner of the room, the subtle background noise of inhales and exhales, of shifting sleepers, were the only thing keeping me awake. Moonlight streamed through the thick, dirty windows, flickering over the concrete floor. It almost touched my hand, which lay just out of reach over the makeshift bed. Sleep deprivation was beginning to take its toll, but I fought to keep my eyes open for just a bit longer, only until...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5
2

korra4life (United States) published:

Battlefield

The weapon falls from my trembling hands. I can barely see anything ahead of me. I feel the hard wind pushing me backwards and can hear the shouts of my comrades and enemies. But I cannot move. My knees buckle and I fall. 
There are no tears. There is nothing but hollowness seeping inside of my body. A shadow passes over me. I look up and can make out the shape of someone's face. I hope that they are an...

Seeking Peer Reviews

HasanR (Pakistan) published:

The Mystery of Toy Factory

“Once there was an old, small Toy Factory in a village. It remained at peace for years,
until one night!                                                                           It was dark. Wolves howling. Winds blowing fast like in Autumn.                         ...

3
1

Michelle Lam (Australia) published:

The Smallest Whisper

It started with the smallest whisper. Slithering slivers of scathing tonal swells, hypnotic and jarring as it enfolds the vast emptiness of the dark room.

Quiet.

Don't make a sound.

It's coming for you.

It creeps in the veil, it's tendrils probing and seeking - then latching and twisting and morphing until... 

... Complete and utter nothingness.

My eyes flutter, body suspended in this black, deep black ocean. The icy numbness creeps across my skin in prickles, my transclucent skin...

Seeking Peer Reviews

20ab86@cis.dk (Denmark) published:

Control

Control- it's a funny thing. It's easy to maintain for some and for others, the less lucky, it's rare to hold. It slips through fingers like air and hangs teasingly around the head, quivering in the periphery. Ever since humans went into the era of Artificial Intelligence frenzy, they gave up their control. That's how he gained his.
    In 2068, scientists finished creating Kratos in a lab. It took decades to plan his features down to the smallest detail. Once...

1

RoninWolfHeart (United States) published:

Las Bestias

The young intern had been walking for almost a day.  He had been away from the camp to relieve himself when he had heard screams and, soon after, gunshots.  Scared for his life, the intern had ran, and it was not long before he found himself lost.  When the realization hit him, he stopped, listening to the hum of bugs around him.  Maybe he would have laid down to starve, if they had not arrived then.  If they had not...

1
1

Sarahlx (United States) published:

The One Who Wore A Golden Mask

I had a dream last night; a dream about a monster who wore a golden mask.
    He dressed in fine clothes and his hair shone brightly in the candlelight. Hidden in plain sight, I recall now. Of course, back then I didn't know the depths of his cruelty, nor did I suspect that he was anything other than the man I was falling in love with.
    In my dream he asked me to dance; a quick bend of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Marshall Pentes (United States) published:

Unexpected Fears

I rambled down the alley very late at night. I could not sleep that night, and running in the crisp air refreshed me. The night was quiet and dense with fog. Any man or animal could escape from sight and burrow into the clouds. The silence of the road was then broken by the uttering of, “Hey, kid.”
    I whirled around, yet I saw no one.
“Who said that?” I implored.
There was no answer. I hurried on my...

3

ShadowsAlive (United States) published:

Red

He was a monster, hidden in plain sight. He watched the world around him with apathetic eyes, his gaze trailing slowly along the masses around him. They had no idea what he was. They all lived in their own blissful bubble of reality, with no idea of what was to come. His gaze was predatory. A certain lust showed in his eyes, but it was kept concealed. Many years of practice had trained him in charm and manipulation. A few...

3

LarryMatoyo (Tanzania) published:

The Creatures

Luke awakened with a sudden jolt. His peaceful dream was interrupted by a thud on the roof. He hoped it wasn’t one of them, the arachnid-men, menacing mutated humans with eight limbs, eight eyes, sharp pincers and hair all over that terrorized the night, searching for fresh meat. He was the only guy with the cure for these monsters, yet they always seemed to be one step ahead.
He waited in silence, praying that nothing would sense his thundering heartbeat...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

PurpleFly101 (United States) published:

TadPole Man (I guess lol)

He was once thought of as a urban legend. A myth brought on to scare your children into coming home after dark. I had not seen him until that day and I was not the type of person to believe in stories. Especially not stories as ridiculous as this one. But sometimes stories have a slither of truth in them. A tiny detail that had once been looked over but then expanded into a full on legend. This story, however, was...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Nida (United States) published:

The Monster

It was a Friday night, and fourteen-year-old Alexander was home alone while his parents were out. The night crept in quickly, the sun slowly slipping away from the horizon. While sitting in his room playing video games, he heard a crash from downstairs. Curiously, he descended down the staircase. He moved towards the kitchen where he heard objects shifting and thrashing around. He proceeded forward, peering around the corner.
What he saw was unbelievable. When Alexander would imagine monsters, he...

2

michelle001 (United States) published:

Burdens

*BANG BANG* His footsteps are getting louder by the second. You think that this can't be happening. But it sure is. *BOOM* He throws the bed that you have been hiding behind. And you finally see a distorted ugly face. Drool is seeping down his droopy face, all over your clothes. His face is burned off and his skull is smashed in. Claws grab your scared little body and throws you across the room. You hit the wall and break...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

HasanR (Pakistan) published:

The Mystery of Toy Factory

“Once there was an old, small Toy Factory in a village. It remained at peace for years,                                                            until one night!                                                               ...

2
1

Miranda Sun (United States) published:

We Named the Monster After the Man

“Isn’t it unsafe to let a monster roam free?”
    The doctor glances at the creature by his feet. “Not if you’re careful.”
    I write that down. The monster watches my movements, my image reflected in its dark eyes.
     “You’re not afraid of it getting too big?”
    “It only grows if I feed it.” The man scribbles at his desk. “Listen, kid, are you done with your interview? I’ve got work.” 
    They’re the same color, lab-coat white. Four-limbed. The monster yawns,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

SpongeBob Author Pants (Australia) published:

The Monstrocity

BOOM! The bomb detonates in the middle of the battleground and creates an orange flower of death and destruction that wipes out countless soldiers thanks to the blast. The battle is raging on in the war to gain control of a paradise known as The Monstrocity. Humans think its Hell. Monsters think it’s a spiritual heaven. The monsters have a larger death count. 6000 out of 20300 soldiers. The tiny capsules filled with dread known to humans as bullets fly...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

thechosenonemico (Philippines) published:

Repentance

She had just muttered her silent prayers to the nameless Gods, the night wind singing an eerie lullaby, the roaring candle wick dancing to the rhythm of silence.

In her hands were torn church skirts, rolled up in bundles, soaked in warm water in a wooden cup, and a silver blade dripping with her own blood. In her mind were the words of the convent.

Blood was trickling on her back, dripping from three deep-cut lines.

Three for repentance.

The...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Kanksha_Chawla (Singapore) published:

Victims of Circumstance

Three men were stranded in a boat with no water and enough rations to last them four days. One of them was an orphan with no family, while the rest had their parents awaiting their return. The mention of the cause of this effect is extraneous since the consequent decisions to make were inescapable. Three days in a row without water devastated them all. Unfortunately, the orphan succumbed to drinking sea water. He then lay flat on his stomach, his...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

PinkPandaz (United States) published:

The Clock is Ticking

We go along our days, mostly unaware. Of those who are completely conscious of it, the majority are haunted. Others are strangely calm.

Time, itself, is comprehensible. No one has ever claimed it does not exist. Even the tiniest of children have some sense of it. The older they get, the more they must confront it, and the more afraid they become. Many struggle to ignore it, but its dark, chilling shadow still looms over them, and everyone. Time...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6
1

Ireland Castle (United States) published:

All Of Our Monsters

I’m hated by everyone. I’m seen as something horrific that doesn’t love anything. I love. I love the world for example. I feel bad for the world, because I’m in it. I look at myself and I see a monster. I am a monster. I hurt people, and I get away with it. 
    When I get the courage to look in the glass, I see what I really am; a problem. I don’t like the glass, the glass...

Seeking Peer Reviews

progress (United States) published:

On Turning Eighteen

I met a genie once.  He was from the bottom of a box of Cracker Jacks and the size of a match.
“What’ll it be, kid?” he said, “You’ve got one wish and ten seconds.”
My gleaming eyes widened,
“I want to be invisible.”
The genie chuckled and flickered a smile,
“Really?  Have it your way, kid.”
In a flash, the genie was gone, and I was a ghost.  
That’s the best he could do in a rush, I...

2

Bethia Maria (Canada) published:

Kingdom's Maask

They told me, beware the Queen’s Maask. They told me it moves unseen, quiet as night. They told me its stench is that of death, at least for us who know death so intimately; apparently to friends of the wicked throne it smells of fragrant flowers. 

I had scoffed. 

I could deal with the Maask; hadn’t I dealt with the Royal Guards, the maids? I was known as The Fearless One. Nothing would stop me from reaching the Queen...

Katherine Ellis (United States) published:

The Collector

It’s not a man or even an animal that most kids fear. Calling it that would be too kind. Instead, it’s a beast with blood red lips that curl back to reveal sharp yellowed teeth stained with black. Sheet white eyes that scan for prey, loosely rolling in their sockets as if someone forgot to screw them in all the way. An almost shadow like body with four legs and sharp claws that are constantly shifting so you can...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Talya (United States) published:

The Reason for Our Generation's Failure

I open the door to school and feel the intent gust of air conditioning welcome me to the halls of high school. Making my way down the hall, I notice all of the different kinds of people surrounding me on all sides. One girl, walking nonchalantly smacking gum between her teeth, passes me, her low-cut mini skirt brushing my thigh daring me to look back. I feel a slight shudder overcoming my calm, composed shoulders. On my left, a young...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Camryn (United States) published:

Perspective

How can one become a monster? Isn't everyone a monster with a pretty face? I don't change into a monster because I always am one. Do you want to know more?
I know all sorts of things, everything you want to know. Just come to me. The water's deep enough, the boat can make it to shore, don't worry about the rocks. When you get here, I'll tell you all of what I know.
Did you know that every monster's...

Seeking Peer Reviews