All writing published for Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018. See Competition

Published writing

1
1

MoonFromAlola (United States) published:

Thanatos

PROMPT: Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

“Ugh,” Bella sighed, walking away from the cell’s bars. She’d been trying to squeeze through them for half an hour now and was beginning to feel frustrated. “It’s no use!” she shouted, banging her foot into the bars and yelping in pain. She turned slowly towards the creature in the corner. 

The creature was seemingly composed of black sludge, molded into the shape of a human. He watched Bella with his blank face, seeming to drill into her even...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Juneisle (United States) published:

Burned

The littlest bird wept. She was a beautiful songbird, whose life had been full of song and joy. Next to her perched a stately hawk, a twitchy crow, and a mother dove, who kindly wrapped a singed wing around the young one. They were all silent, watching as blue smoke rose from their forest home.
   Below them, a snake and a demon conversed quietly about what to do next. They were too close to the ground to see the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

old (United Kingdom) published:

orelia

The barren landscape allowed the wind to bound across the plains, harsh and disorienting. Asta pulled her cardigan in front of her face, shielding her eyes from the bitter cold. The only way Eskel could have recognised her was by her blonde entanglement of hair. The gale was strident enough to banish every sense - the pair had no idea which way they were going, it seemed as though every landmark had been misplaced amongst the flurry; even the stars...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Jazmyn Salsman (United States) published:

Monsters Within Us

You’ve all heard of me, and if you haven’t, you know who I am. I’m the dark that lurks in the back of your mind. The one that tells you your existence is useless, that you should leave the breathing to the one percent whose lives matter. You are worthless. I am the doubt, the lack of self-confidence--that's me. Can you guess who I am yet? I’m the one in your head, telling you you couldn’t figure it out even...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Southwell (United States) published:

scavenger hunt [ new]

It was the local wood’s scavenger hunt, but I was the one who was hunted…
I was shining my flashlight. Over the green sticky moss. Over the sharp gray rocks. Over the huge clawed tree hollow. I stepped inside the tree hollow. I started yelling, hello anyone there. I heard brittle laughter. I tried to run but my legs wouldn’t work. I was petrified. Nothing was worth this. I felt a stabbing pain in my spine. I whipped around to...

4
1

Mystrick (United States) published:

Hypnotic

The song replayed once again in Lydia's mind, one her mother taught her when she was still young. It was a song of great beauty, one that could entice the mind and calm the listener with ease. Lydia hummed it quietly. She watched the waves lap at the rock she was resting on near the shore, watching small fish dart to and fro. Pressing her hand onto the rock, Lydia pushed herself off and jumped into the bone-chilling...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

Camryn (United States) published:

Perspective

How can one become a monster? Isn't everyone a monster with a pretty face? I don't change into a monster because I always am one, it's only apparent when my face, my outside, turns to match the inside. Do you want to know more? I know all sorts of things, everything you want to know. Just come, come to me. The water isn't that deep, you can swim, you can reach me and when you get here, I'll tell you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Wordsarelikecolors (United States) published:

The Depths of the Mind

Some say that it's not all that bad, but others say its most crushing thing in the universe. It, the thing, the darkness that covers all, is terrifying. It never leaves your side; you may suppress it, yes, but it will always be behind you, clicking away behind your heels like the evils of demons. The dark, fast-growing limbs seep out of its deeps, climbing higher and higher until it envelopes your body in its horrid shadow. Panic races through...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

saxwriter2 (United States) published:

The Hunter: Fear

I roam the wild, but not the wild you would think of. Indeed, the brain is a place full of areas to manipulate, areas to curse, areas to inject a tiny bit of me. I use memories, thoughts, even the people you trust to reel you into my boat of lost souls. I have no singular form, but many forms, in whatever version of me you choose to apprehend the most. What will be my next snare? Will I be...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
3

Water Woman (United States) published:

Amelia Twitch

Amelia Twitch was a monster.
            Maybe it was the sharp blue eyes or the wild red hair or the way she spoke to no one in particular but whatever it was, she was not like us.  She was not quite human, except that implies that she was somehow less than human and Amelia Twitch was most certainly not less than human.  Amelia Twitch was somehow more than human and that was terrible.
            “You people don’t like me,” she...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Thanatos

Seeking Peer Reviews

8
1

Glytch Montoya (United States) published:

Who's the Real Monster?

...Can anybody hear me? Can you understand me? 
    My name is Skyzer. I'm a special kind of creature. Nobody seems to have the right word for me. I'm sort of like a combination of a zombie, skeleton, and ghost... Kind of like a revenant, from Irish folklore, but, without the whole "died and came back" and "vengeance" thing. I'm technically still alive... Well, as long as none of you get a hold of me. Everyone thinks...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

s a m (United States) published:

Before the Meeting

Will hated spike dragons. One had taken out his arm a few years earlier. Then, he decided he hated them even more zombified. 
    "Will! Look out!" Tommy yelled. Will blocked the claws coming down on him with his steel arm. He drew Widow and swung, keeping it away. The dragon had somehow became zombified and was extremely angry. It kept attacking Will, ignoring the rest. That was its downfall. 
    Tommy jumped off Ember, bringing...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
2

Marerider (United States) published:

A Noble Creature

The dragon landed heavily on the forest floor. The sun glinting off his coppery scales. He placed his large body between the young dragon and the girl tied to the giant oak.
    “What are you doing?” The old dragon asked his voice deep and rumbly. 
    “I’m taking the princess, old one. Step aside.” The young one replied. His voice arrogant. He took a step forward and the old one hissed. 
    “Not another step.  Taking princesses has...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Who's the Real Monster?

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

Rachel Rubinoff (Canada) published:

Ezra's Monster

It is the color of fear. The color of sorrow. The color his soul had turned deep down when his parents told him.
Bright blue eyes, glassy yet bold. Arms outstretched, four of them.
He can’t hear when it comes; it is silent.
Ezra decides he is safe at school. While he climbs the monkey bars his only fear is his emerging blisters.
It is silent, but it creeps up when his surroundings are loud. When he can hear nothing...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6
2

.audrey michelle. (United States) published:

The Thing That Kills

It crept up on me, like the spark of a flame: quick and frightening.  I heard the woosh of it as it stalked me, watched me, and then killed me with those big, slicing sharp claws.  I didn't even feel it: it was like magic.  It just came up behind me and spun me around and ripped my soul out.  It tore what I needed to live out of me.  And that kills.
    I thought I got...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Hallie (United States) published:

The Untold Tale

We have all been told the disconcerting tales of the monsters that loom among us by a storyteller who holds a flashlight beneath their chin. Fictional characters dreamt up by creative minds seeking for the fear of anyone who will listen. But even the bravest of them cannot bring themselves to tell this story, for this is no mere fairy tale. These creatures are real.
    It has been argued how long these creatures have been among us. Some...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

Tequilamockingbird22 (United States) published:

Not As Tall As Many

I was a monster with a human heart.
    My face distorted with a grotesque-looking bump, one of which that could make someone assume that it was a mask for Halloween. Like a fabled creature roaming in the shadows of nightfall, everyone feared, knowing that nearby my house was a forest with a nightmare resting upon its soils. I don't know why they'd fear something---someone--- they didn't know in the dark. Maybe they were taught to be frightened by...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

AbigailSauble (United States) published:

Behind My Curtain

The curtain growled. 
   With a start I awoke. Darkness enveloped my room, causing eerie shadows to dance across my walls. My heart ran beneath the covers while my alarmed eyes continued to peek out. I gulped. Why was I so scared? I had almost fallen back asleep when the curtain moved. My eyes fastened onto the subtle activity while my toes curled around part of the loose cover sheet at the base of my bed, as though clutching an invisible...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Lee Fudge (United States) published:

Mr. Wellington

Mr. Wellington walked happily down the street at night, like he did every night. No one one could see Mr. Wellington for what he truly was, and he was proud his disguise was so excellent. Humans would never suspect anyone in a stylish top hat!

Mr. Wellington found a man sitting on a bench. 

“Greetings!” Mr. Wellington yelled,”Would you like to know misery?”

The man was silent, for he was sleeping. 

“Oh well, I’ll do it anyway!” Mr. Wellington yelled....

Seeking Peer Reviews