All writing published for Environmental Writing Competition 2018. See Competition

Published writing

1

Emily Sprang (United States) published:

Global Warming: What Will Happen When It's Too Late

PROMPT: Environmental Writing Competition 2018

Imagine a place where global warming has taken a complete toll on us. In this place where global warming has gone too far, us humans realize we have dug ourselves into a very deep hole. And for some reason, most of us didn’t really care about this hole. In fact, most of us decided to settle down in it. Some of us even found it comfortable. There are, of course, the few that wish to climb back out of this...

hibernation_awesome (Canada) published:

Life on Earth

I took a short walk outside in the summer sun. I saw a colourful butterfly flutter right past me, squirrel
climbing trees looking for acorns, and a hummingbird chirping a beautiful song. This is biodiversity, the variety of life on Earth. Who knows, the next time I take a walk, I may never see a butterfly again, or a bird, or squirrel, or any animal for that matter! Then, I realize this happened only because of me, you and us. This...

Violeta Nicola (Romania) published:

The Importance of Bees

We all know what a bee is. We grew up learning that they produce honey and that they sting us so we should always be careful in their presence, but do we really know how important they are ?
           All fruits and vegetables that we eat every day like avocados, peaches, broccoli, celery, cherries, melons, cranberries, cucumbers and so many more require pollination.Did you know that around 80% of all...

Seeking Peer Reviews

bluelion55555 (United States) published:

Lions, Lions, They'll All Fall Down from Climate Change

In 1994, over one-fourth of the Serengeti Lion population died off due to the affects of global warming and climate change. Many people know several affects of global warming on humans and animals, such as those on fish and polar bears, but few know how largely global warming affects many other animals. Global warming is a phenomenon that is beginning to affect every spot on this planet. One continent specifically, and its inhabitants, are harmed as a result...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

Erica Lees-Smith (United Kingdom) published:

Breaking News!

Kylie Jenner might have possibly, maybe cost Snapchat one and a half million dollars!
The second stage of inevitably awful confrontations with the EU has begun!
Britain did moderately well in the Winter Olympics!
The world will read about these things, shoving the impending issues that are slapping us square in the face aside in exchange for short-lived entertainment. We simply don’t go around looking for doom and gloom, which is understandable. Of course, we don’t ignore all of it....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

AJAY MURALI (India) published:

A GODS OWN COUNTRY

HI ALL BEFORE I START TELLING U GUYS ABOUT THE MIND BLOWING GOD'S OWN COUNTRY  ahhh...
IT IS NOT A COUNTRY BY THE WAY IT IS SMALL STATE OK OK COMING BACK BEFORE TELLING ABOUT THAT PLACE, I SHOULD REMEMBERING YOU  GUYS ONE STORY NOT SO REMEMBERING I THINK ONLY FEW HAD KNOWN ABOUT THAT EPIC STORY SO GUYS AM ON IT. LOTS OF YEAR BEFORE CHRIST THERE WERE A GOOD MANN NAMED 'PARASHURAMAN' ahh... NOT GOOD .. YEAHH GOOD...

1

Claremarie04 (United States) published:

The Great Lakes

Northern Michigan, home of the Great Lakes. I have lived in Petoskey, Michigan for my whole 17 years of life, and I would like to say that I am so happy I have. The sunsets, the water, the trees, the tourists, all make my world go 'round. The biggest part of the environment that has affected me is the amount of water that surrounds my home. There are five Great Lakes, plus nearly 11,000 inland lakes throughout Michigan. The fact...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

JorgeClooney (United States) published:

The Trees

As I continue walking trees on either side of me going on for miles I embrace the nature knowing the second I leave I will have to deal with the fumes from the cars filling the air. The trash lined up on either side of the highway for miles. The buildings covering the ground where it was once like this. Surrounded by trees. The trees that surround me are big and green, the sun peaks through the leaves leaving spots on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4
1

PunsandPoses (United States) published:

Cornfields

Every day, I rode by cornfields. It wasn't as if they were especially special, because corn fields were as common as blades of grass in the part of the Midwest I lived. The bus went through winding roads to get through all the stops, and the ride was at least thirty minutes each day. 

But in the cornfields, there were trees, places where nature broke through the perfectly made rows and grew. In the winter, when they were barren, one...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ella roch (United States) published:

Earth

why are we on earth? do we deserve its wonders? Do we truly own it? Is it really just the place we live on or is it more. 
We have built large cities on its fertile soil. We have built homes were someone already lived. we took mountains and charged people thousands just to see them. We saw animals and put them in cages. We saw open planes put landfills Through none of this not enough people saw it and said wow. Not...

Anthony Hage (United States) published:

Climate Change

Anthony Hage   
Melanie Knypstra
English 9H
1/23/2018
Climate Change
    It seems that humans just do what they want in the world, without caring about our environment. Well, it looks like nature has reached its limit. Climate change is real, and if we want to preserve the ozone layer, we need to act now. Without an ozone layer, plants wouldn’t be able to function properly, water sources would be scarce, and every human would have skin cancer, assuming we...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Audri Pulaski (United States) published:

Thank you Planet Earth!

There is nothing more beautiful than taking to the drive into Petoskey in the morning. In Michigan, we are known for our sunsets and sunrises.This time of year, the sun rises around 7 am. So when I drive into school, an absolutely stunning sunrise is the best way to start any morning. Just past the Conway boat launch, the Crooked Lake is on full display. The sun takes on the full dominance of the water, clouds, and sky. Colors from...

Expressthestress (United Kingdom) published:

Parasites, or what I call Plasticsites.

Parasites: Something that clings onto something, to live of it. Well I call it Plasticsites. Our earth as we know it, is just like the storybooks. Luscious green grass, clear blue oceans for miles upon miles, your typical stereotype. Well, Plasticsites are something that cling onto the ocean floor. Pasticsites float in abundance, made up of our self centred pollution. The environment is not what you imagined. In this era, the environment isn't cared for. Its that topic that you...

Franco Silvidad (Philippines) published:

Laudato Si': An Ecological Revolution

EXTREME AND UNPREDICTABLE weather conditions, massive flooding in different parts of the world, continuous extinction of various life forms, melting of ice sheets that pumps up the sea-level rise, diminution of the world’s forest cover, spiking global temperature, unwanted droughts, unceasing pollution on land, sea and in the air – these are the results of humanity’s misuse and abuse of God-given natural resources and of the consequent deterioration of our environment. Solid scientific studies proved it right that these terrifying...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Aliyah Fong (United States) published:

Erga Omnes

There's something holistically horrific and beautiful at the same time about watching things fall.

The image I had in my head as I wrote to the mayor of Chicago went something like this: an uncanny picture of an iceberg I had never seen in my head, glistening blue and white, falling to the depths of the sea. I was nine at the time. Yes, more than 864 miles away lay thousands of ice caps and sheets and sculptures that were...

1

Angel Argott (United States) published:

Moving On To A Better Place

The environment today that i live in has really inspired me in a lot of different ways. When i was about 5 years old i lived in Los Angeles, California. There environment was not the kind of environment i wanted to live in at all when im still in school, especially because our family lived on the bad side and almost everyday they would be a drive by or someone would be sent to the hospital. I was young and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Sophia DuBose (United States) published:

If Only

When I was a little girl, I believed that everyone was put on this earth for a reason. Everyone had a specific task which they were meant to fulfill before their death. My task: to save the earth from human-induced global warming. A lofty goal for a small child, it’s true, but growing up in the Rocky Mountains, in a solar powered home, had allowed me to experience a very intimate relationship with the earth. I full-heartedly believed that I alone would be able to reverse the damage...

11

Pocahontas (Philippines) published:

The City Come-of-Age

On the night the first supermall opened in the city I’ve lived in for ten years, our car got stuck in traffic on the way home for the first time. Along the roads, families mounted atop old pick-up trucks, men pulled out plastic chairs and soft drinks, and mothers struggled with their toddler’s hats. Why is all of Cabanatuan out tonight?, I wondered, just as the fireworks began to splash across the sky, and spots of color...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Durva Kamdar (Singapore) published:

Drowning Delft: Sinking of Scenic Shores

Delft is a petite town in western Netherlands. Like most of the country, it is known for its iconic landmarks such as tulip fields that are filled with appealing but yet, captivating and the canals that flow from one part of the attractive city to another. It is a popular tourist destination all year around and has about 96 000 residents. The enchanting city is also a famous historic landmark due to the burial site of Johannes Vermeer and the prestigious...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Bridget Magee (United States) published:

A Picture Speaks a Thousand Words

A picture can speak a thousand words and that is why photography is helping our environment one click at a time. Through the art of photography, artists have been able to send us a message about what our actions are doing to our environment. I choose to write an essay on this because I am very interested in photography and I’m a part of it at our school. I want to see how what I’m doing in photography can help...

2

Madi G. (United States) published:

The Feeling of Nature

There is this innate emotion I feel when looking at a painting or picture of a tumultuous sea on a gray stormy day or a glassy lake surrounded by greenery and haloed in the sun’s golden hour. Being in nature also conjures this feeling. It’s a feeling that is stirred up within me, but I can’t really explain. I’d say that what I feel is most akin to a sense of longing, or a bittersweet happiness. I’m sure everyone has...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Parasites, or what I call Plasticsites.

2

Aaliyah (United States) published:

Alive

Mathematically explaining, we, as mankind, are a subset of the Kingdom Animalia, or the animal kingdom. The Kingdom Animalia is a subset of the Earth. The Earth is a subset of the solar system. The solar system is a subset of the Milky Way galaxy. The Milky Way is a subset of the Universe. And finally, the Universe is a subset of infinity = Ø. Hence, the power set is as follows- mankind ⊂ animal kingdom ⊂ Earth ⊂...

Seeking Peer Reviews

KayleeWilson (United States) published:

Landslides

Rocks and debris slide down the hill in a rapid movement, large rocks almost hitting nearby villagers, the only thing going around their mind being, what are we going to do now? Landslides are deadly natural disasters occur everywhere in US, they cause monumental damage to anything they come into contact with including personal property and the environment. Together we can prevent the amount of negative effects on the environment by learning the signs of a landslide, the effects of...

AlsAPal (United States) published:

The Folly of Man

Our Earth: She is characterized by luscious plant life, the vast, untouched depths of Her waters, and the overall widespread diversity of Her biomes. The brush of life, both old and new, is what sets us apart in our solar system and throughout our universe. However, in modern times, as the use of technology has soared, industrialized farming has been taken by storm, and the Earth’s self-proclaimed “most intelligent living creatures” have discovered new methods of tailoring the Earth to...