All writing published for Solastalgia

Published writing

ollieollie (United States of America)() published:

Drought

PROMPT: Solastalgia

I didn't know water could run out. It was an omnipresence, dripping from the faucets, gushing from my shower head, going stale in a bottle in my backpack. It wasn't even a consideration in my nine-year-old mind until the drought warning was issued.
    It doesn't rain in Southern California. On the off occasion that it rains for a few hours, or at most a day, streets flood, businesses close, roads are redirected, simply because our cities aren't built for it....

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

halcyon (United States of America)() published:

new school

PROMPT: Solastalgia

they say that concrete walls and locker rooms are not natural;
beings of man, raised up on metal cranes and wooden beams.
but i know that my school breathes: in, out. in, out. in, out.
it is a thousand climates. lights hang from the ceiling like stars.
i climb the stairs to my class like i climb a mountain.
people laugh and it is sun, people cry and it is rain.
new teachers, sick teachers, assemblies: climate change.
i walk...

Seeking Peer Reviews

asteriskkk (Singapore)() published:

URBAN REDEVELOPMENT is an inane name for mucking up memories

PROMPT: Solastalgia

Singapore: we have years of culture that extend beyond our fifty-two years of independence — or do we, really? As a country that preaches multiculturalism, I find it abhorrent that so many aspects of our various cultures have been destroyed on the country’s path to further economic betterment.

Singapore is geographically one of the smallest countries in the world, and I’ve discovered my fair share of places on this island. And there are so many places I know I...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2
1

Hannah.Tougas (United States of America)() published:

growing up

PROMPT: Solastalgia

As a child, I lived a worry-free life. The only thing on my mind was what kind of fun activity I would be doing next; and oh do I miss those days. It feels as if it was only yesterday that I had no worries. I could look back and have no regrets. I didn’t feel as if I had to satisfy someone else for it to be okay to be me. Life is full of responsibilities. Homework. Fights. Grades. Parents....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

WishfulKittyKat1 (United States of America)() published:

Brown Sand and Grey Water

PROMPT: Solastalgia

I used to go to the beach, when I was little.  We would go all the time, to Galveston Island- never mind that it's an hour away.  We'd get in the car, smelling of sunscreen and chlorine, and go to the grey-brown sand.
I didn't understand why sand was white in books until I visited California.  Suddenly, just how sad our thin, gloomy beaches with grimy sand was dawned on me.
But I was still happy to go to the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

Gloria Lam (United States of America)() published:

The River That No Longer Sparkled

PROMPT: Solastalgia

The sun beat on my face as I entered the withering fields. It no longer shone- it beated with its intense rays- losing its beauty and brilliance. It was the summer of 2050, twenty years since I have visited my home town. What had once been a charming, arid environment with a blue sparkling river that I sat in times of melancholy had dulled and now sparkled with plastic bottles and chip bags. At night, the river no longer showed...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Finley R. (United States of America)() published:

I Can't Forget

PROMPT: Solastalgia

Yes, I remember
snow in December.
Trees before we shouted "Timber".
The fire before the embers.

Oh, believe me, I remember.

I remember blue skies
back before smoke and lies.
I remember good times.
I only cry sometimes.

I remember love and laughter.
I'm sorry you had to come after.

I remember animals with wisdom in their eyes.
Back before humans took their lives.
I remember trees as old as time
Taken by those who created rhyme.

I remember oceans,  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Nafo23 (United States of America)() published:

Warm nights of Winter

PROMPT: Solastalgia

It's funny how I associate Autumn and Winter with a feeling of warmth rather than cold. They're such family oriented seasons, filled with love, whether conditionally through holidays spent with family  or unconditionally through walks in the cold with your significant other. In contrast, Summer and Spring are Barren seasons filled with unnecessary heat and boredom. The shift from Autumn and Winter to Spring and Summer always leaves me depressed, as I trade Thanks Giving, my Birthday, Christmas, and New...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

WordWieldingWriter (United States of America)() published:

For Florida

PROMPT: Solastalgia

I grew up in Florida.
​It's a wonderful state, with so much to do. There's the Disney parks for when you're in the mood for some commercialized, family-friendly fun, the beaches for sunbathing, surfing, and socialization, the forests and swamps for when you're feeling adventurous. It's a state full of unique natural wonders from underground aquifers, the source of most of our water, to the mangroves in our wetlands that provide a vital ecosystem for copious amounts of wildlife. The...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2
2

Drought

PROMPT: Solastalgia

I didn't know water could run out. It was always there, coming from the faucets, dripping from my shower head, in a bottle in my backpack. It wasn't until the drought warning was issued that I realized everything has a limit.
    It doesn't rain in Southern California. On the off occasion that it rains for a few hours, or at most a day, streets flood, businesses close, roads are redirected, simply because our cities simply aren't built for it. But...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Mitsuri (United States of America)() published:

Growing Up

PROMPT: Solastalgia

Wandering these desolate halls for the thousandth time, I remember. With each step, I see little past me running with a bounce in her steps. Another is laughing, another curled up crying. Another fighting back tears, another staring out the window, lost in her own world. I hear echoing steps, reminding me of the times I've hid in silence. I see the pale walls bathed in the light of the sunset. I run my hands along as I walk, the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

new school

PROMPT: Solastalgia

i walk...

1

Riley Noel (United States of America)() published:

A Farewell To Winter

PROMPT: Solastalgia

I used to love the winter. I don't really know what it was exactly that I loved so much. Maybe it was the beauty and the perfection of a field covered in snow. Maybe it was the joy of those first few snowflakes. MAybe it was warm nights by the fire, with pjs and hot chocolate. Maybe it was the laughter that seemed to echo off every hill and mountain as children and adults raced in sleds. I think it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Lyell (United States of America)() published:

All That

PROMPT: Solastalgia

I miss you, more than I’ve ever missed anyone. Every day someone asks me about you, my heart tightens and my stomach does flips. You still do that to me. You still make me feel. Others lose potency with time, but you still manage to make me shudder.

I looked through that little book of drawings you gave me a few days ago. I read the note, too. I wish I could explain how I felt reading...

Seeking Peer Reviews

4

Jenna Matus (Australia)() published:

I Wonder

PROMPT: Solastalgia

The landscape is carved from the regrets of our ancestors. Deep wounds scar the earth, rivers of heat churn and spew. Humidity clings like a second skin. 

I wonder what cold feels like. My grandfather described it as a sharp, biting kiss on the tip of your nose. An ache that shivered the very marrow of your bones. He says that once Jack Frost had cast his spell, the whole world transformed into a glittering stark white. 

I wonder what...

Seeking Peer Reviews

korra4life (United States of America)() published:

Old Life

PROMPT: Solastalgia

My stomach churns tightly. I feel my skin breaking from my sharp fingernails as I dig into my palms. Apollo brushes against my thigh and tugs at his leash impatiently. I force myself to keep walking and lead him towards the towering building. He and his sister, Artemis, are both impatient and eagerly sniff everything that we pass. 
But, I don't care for the scenery. There isn't much. Just a few fake trees here and there. I feel my chest...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6
1

agustdv (United Arab Emirates)() published:

दर्द

PROMPT: Solastalgia

दर्द

is what i feel these days.

muddy snow, raging rains, soothing fires; i wonder where have we gone wrong. it take two to love, two to live, two to kill, and somehow, we are two times too close to the end.

this is nostalgia; of fateful conversations and stolen kisses under trees, of baby's-breaths and misery, of burnt feathers and suppressed insanity.

i like to think that what goes round comes back twice. i like to think of the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

yapyapxy (Singapore)() published:

Parallel Lines

PROMPT: Solastalgia

An endless horizon where
The wind whispers the stories
Lost over the aeons.
Parallel blue, blue lines
Promise a brighter future
Beyond. Skyscrapers to shards,
Grass plains to dusty ruins.
You'll turn to the sea
That has outlived moons and stars.

At the end of our time
(If you do indeed live to see it)
Nothing will remain
But the sky, the ocean
And the infinite stories they hold 
In the space
Between them.

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Olivia C (United States of America)() published:

I want my winter back

PROMPT: Solastalgia

I'm one of those people who complain about the weather. 
"It's soooo cold," I say to my friend who's nose is pink and eyes are tearing. She knows it's cold.
"It's waaayyy too hot," I say as my friends face slowly fries in the sunlight, her cheeks bright red. She knows it's hot.
But I'm also the person who complains when the weather isn't right.
Lately, mother natures been having some mood swings. 
Here in New York City, we're used...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

M.B. (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)() published:

Funeral for a Dream

PROMPT: Solastalgia

In the sun-drenched wake of the three-thirty bells, we found ourselves in a field of gold and jade. It was bordered by gentle oaks on one side, mischievous birches on another, and the red bricks of our school on the last, a school that had stood since Victorian times, a school whose corridors twisted like the tunnels of a rabbit warren, a school that swept us up in gargantuan arms and nurtured us until the cusp of maturity. I adored...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

KamilaAllin (United States of America)() published:

What Spring Always Brings

PROMPT: Solastalgia

I was perhaps three or four when I first encountered them. Spring always brings flowery blooms, and these are what attracted them. Chubby and dark eyed, dark haired, small limbed, flickering wings stolen from fairies. They danced around their hanging treetop home and I watched in wonderment, too young to know what the bulbous growth sticking from the aged tree was. I had followed their floating amble from a bushel of the spring growths. I had never seen bees before,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

yapyapxy (Singapore)() published:

Parallel Lines

PROMPT: Solastalgia

At the end of our time
(if you do indeed live to see it)
Nothing will remain
But the sky, the ocean
And the infinite stories
They hold 
In the space
Between them.

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Natalie Kim (United States of America)() published:

THE DROUGHT

PROMPT: Solastalgia

I cannot remember the last time I tasted ice.
    What a foreign concept - water, cold enough to become solid? In this new world, water is barely cold enough to stay fresh for a day.
    Welcome to Southern California, wrecked by massive drought and wrought with fierce, dry winds and the beating sun, at whatever devastated year it is. I've stopped counting.
    Anything exposed outside for more than an hour either rots, dies,...

writer0715 (United States of America)() published:

Solastalgia

PROMPT: Solastalgia

Our environment is rapidly changing as we know it. Just these past couple years, the change is so visible, especially in Florida where I live. The amount of hurricanes has drastically increased. The rise in temperature intensifies wind speeds and raises the sea level. Not only did The Keys suffer a great amount of damage from the most recent Hurricane Irma, but Puerto Rico was completely destructed. 

The biggest mistake people make is thinking that global warming is only global...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Suit of Swords (Philippines)() published:

Remember

PROMPT: Solastalgia

I still remember a few years ago, when I was but a young child, I would play with my friends and cousins out in the sun. We'd be out the whole afternoon under the warm sun and be back by sunset, all sweaty and laughing ourselves off. The next day would be the same; just going out and playing with them. Some days it would be playing tag, other days we'd play hide and seek. We even had some made...

Seeking Peer Reviews