All writing published for My December Competition 2017. See Competition

Published writing

KN Husna (Malaysia) published:

A Different December Every Time

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

For most of the world, December might be the month of gifts and snow, snowmen building and sledding. For others, it might be the hottest time of the year, a time for the golden beach, the calming symphony of the waves, refreshing iced drinks and tubs of ice cream. But living on the equator means tropical climate; no summer, no winter. Any month of the year, not just December. But December is more or less like summer vacation for us--the...

1

chel (Singapore) published:

One Last December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

Our last December together was the most joyous one we ever had. Fourteen-year-olds who thought nothing could possibly break this friendship, who thought this was just the beginning of their lives entwined together. December, is the month that I’ll never forget, for it gave me so many lasts with you – our last birthday celebration, our last outing, our last hug and goodbye...

I miss you. I love you. I want to see you.

I’m forgetting you…

It’s been three...

2

This girl isn't oppressed (Australia) published:

The Beauty Of December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

December in Australia was unlike anywhere else in the world. The first few thoughts that cross your mind is probably a dazzling array of white and golden ornaments: Hand crafted stars and porcelain fairies, hanging proudly on the tree and everything around was christmas themed. Frosted windows were traced with children’s imaginations and then they would watch as the dew drops rolled down gracefully, their creation melting away. Mornings were an unpleasant chill and your bed preserved the pleasant warmth...

2

Thespian (United Kingdom) published:

SAD (seasonal affective disorder)

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

Winter. 
​In england it means different things. In the north it is far colder than the south and I live in the North. Surrounded by mountains and hills ,the wind whips up from the sea and into my face. My blonde fringe blows upwards and the hood of my jacket is blown off my head. 
​There's no point in trying to fix it. It will just happen again in a minute or two. I'm a two minute walk away from...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Abby Birchfield (United States) published:

​December in Northern Michigan

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

It can all happen in an instant; one moment there are clear skies and sunshine, and the next thing you know everything is buried in snow. Here, we don’t get the regular snow storms. Being right next to Lake Michigan, we get the lake effect snow, and this means that the clouds coming over the water can become a full on blizzard before anyone realizes what’s happening. This is all normal for the people here. Shoveling driveways, digging cars out...

Audri Pulaski (United States) published:

December

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

As December begins, the excitement that has stemmed from childhood also begins. But that doesn't mean December doesn't have it’s highs and lows. December is an extremely busy time for me. I am in middle of my competitive swimming season. That means going to swim meets downstate or practicing 3-4 nights a week. The snow in Northern Michigan is horrible. Especially being a teen driver and living 30 minutes away from town. When the roads are not visible and it...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Lola Mae (United States) published:

Giving December a New Meaning

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

To many, December is a time of joy and old, familiar tunes, and the earthy scent of pine from your own living room. It's the time of family gatherings and mouth-watering foods and cheesy movies. To many, it is a time of prayer and the smell of holy incense and the colors red and green. It has always been all of these things to me, but last year, December gained a new, bleaker meaning to me and to my family....

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

AM Key (United States) published:

Missing my Decmber

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

Throughout my life, my Decembers have always been split. One dedicated to family, Christmas trees, and gifts. The other one was all about travel, about seeing the world, about discovering new adventure. One  Adventure took me to Mexico. To this day I remember the cars that were held together by duck tape type and the buildings covered in graffiti. It seemed so odd to me at the time. Why would anyone want to drive a car that was falling apart...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

ClaraElizabeth (Canada) published:

Miscellaneous Reflections

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

I was eight when I stopped believing in the tooth fairy. Santa Claus lingered another year before he too ebbed into implausibility. At twelve years of age, the cherished fantasies I had treasured for over a decade were relinquished forever as fiction, and the standard adolescent approach of scepticism adopted as a mandate. My imagination has suffered as an upshot, faintly pulsating behind a garish mound of mundane day-to-day concerns; homework, friends, family, and other hallmarks of an ordinary teenager....

Seeking Peer Reviews

creative.writer (United Kingdom) published:

Again

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

To me, December is setting up Christmas trees like they're a precious work of art, each decoration placed with sharp eyed precision. The lights dancing in the dark, casting a warm glow over the living room.
Its hot chocolates and salted caramel everything. The continuous coffee dates, trying and testing the new flavours. It's walks through parks with the leaves crunching under our feet, the only thing keeping us warm is the take away coffee cup. The heat seeping through...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Julio Bello (United States) published:

The Art of Joy

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

Yo

1

Hannaa (United States) published:

Strength

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

Basketball is more than a sport-- it’s a way of life. It’s my way of expressing myself. Basketball makes me feel valued, and wanted. I grew up playing; it has shaped me into the person I am today. I just feel most comfortable playing basketball, and I never want to stop playing.  I rushed home from school; it was time for basketball tryouts.

*    *    *    *

I walked back to the gym; my legs were sore...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Aaliyah (United States) published:

Flashbacks

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

I remember lying awake at night for hours, listening to the crickets stridulate rhythmically outside my bedroom window, and thinking of the Tower of Babel that I had built over thirteen years, but that I would never have an opportunity to complete. My heart used to beat with anticipation of the atmosphere in a completely unfamiliar environment that I would soon be dropped into. “Leaving my friends, my school, everyone who knows me as Aliyah . . . Well, I...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Anvay Pradhan (United States) published:

Peppers: A Familial Bond

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

The large peppers, held in small, pliable, blue boxes always roused our attention as we grazed past the hundreds of people scavenging for their Saturday morning breakfast. At the sight of them, I’d tap my brother’s shoulder, pointing at their luminescent orange/green shades reflecting the morning sunlight. And together, our mouths flooded with saliva, turning to my mom who specialized in filling the peppers with her magical mix of spices and meat.
“Mom we found them.”
“Found what?”
I point...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

luci (Italy) published:

Walls

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

Once upon a time, before you even knew how to rhyme, our world existed, before you made it wicked and twisted. It was a place where truth was the language, freedom was the anthem, and kindness was the only religion. Joy flew in the air just as a pigeon.
    Time passed by, and you felt unsatisfied. You wanted more than you could have. The blue smell of joy had left and you tried to bring it back any other way....

Seeking Peer Reviews

luci (Italy) published:

Walls

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

Time passed by, and you felt unsatisfied. You wanted more than you could have. The blue smell of joy had left and you tried to bring it back any way you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

lhlbvch (United States) published:

Don't

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

Don't ever say to me 
"If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all."
This is because you could say something nice to someone 
and someone else could be offended
You can't say anything anymore when someone is not offended
People need to start learning to take criticism
but there is a FINE line between rude and fixing a mistake or criticising
Learn to suck it up and deal with it

2

abbas.selcan@gmail.com (Azerbaijan) published:

Broken Ice

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

Oh, December! The first month of winter. I've always had a thing for winter. Some sort of odd fascination. Maybe it's the transition from dead and withered nature we experience in the autumn to the ruthless kiss of winter. December... it's also the month when my story starts and ends.
     It was the beginning of the winter in the year 2014, you usually expect it to be filled with snow, candy canes, Christmas carols, Thanksgiving meals but it wasn't....

2

Kaitlyn ❄ (United States) published:

My Heart and Soul

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

Hey, I know the December Competition deadline is gone but I wanted to say, this year has been awesome. I am going to highlight the good and bad points of 2017! So enjoy! First is the bad things of the year :P

• I went to a horse camp and a horse and the horse I was riding got into a fight and I almost got kicked. He was bucking and everything. That was an awful day.
  • I found...

1

Emmy R (United States) published:

Parade Season

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

My shoulders burned from the effort of holding my trumpet above my head as I blasted what I remembered of the parade sequence.
     December for a band nerd means parade season, or, the time in which you should catch a quick illness just to escape.
     I glanced down my row: Rebekah marched next to me, looking as though she were about to faint; Kendra, the freshman, was looking at us in horror wondering why we came back...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Chris Tsimbinos (United States) published:

The Miracle After Christmas

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

It was December 27th, 2015. Christmas was two days earlier, but as I walked
into MetLife Stadium, I was hoping for the best gift of all. The New York Jets were playing their rival the New England Patriots. The Patriots had clinched the AFC East with a 12-2 record at Week 15, while the Jets were fighting for a wild card spot in the playoffs with a 9-5 record. The Jets had won four straight games coming into what seemed...

Taryn Cory (United States) published:

Christmas in Kansas

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

Christmas in Kansas 

Christmas in Kansas isn’t always perfect, but with the joy of families all over town it makes Christmas the best. Children play in the white powder the shines on the road, laughing with each other. December is a time for joy and cheer all around, Kansas families sure know how to bring up the holiday spirit. People left together to light up the whole block. Family’s gather by the fireplace to sing O’ holy night, and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

josiegrace76@icloud.com (Austria) published:

December to Me

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

In Kansas, it's like Winter can't decide what it wants to be. On Halloween, it's snowing! But on December 1st, its 66 degrees. Last year, it barely even snowed. 
    My brother and his friends would race down our dry hill, using the moist dirt as a slippery ramp.
    We’d fight over who'd take the bright red sleds up the hill, and who would ride down. There would always be the one kid who'd use the excuse, “I'm...

Flex! (United States) published:

Where did December start?

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

I can tell you what December means, but I can assure you that what it used to mean is a whole lot more important. In the end, you'll come to realize that you'll end up knowing what it means to me, what it has meant, and what it will mean in the future. After all, timeline is essential in a journey.

In the past, back when I was around 12 years old, December was traveling and spending months in Florida...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Apples Rodriguez (United States) published:

Fever

PROMPT: My December Competition 2017

“I think I have a fever,” I mumbled numbly. My core was freezing but my skin was burning. I thought maybe I was made of snow and I was so so cold, yet everyone around me could see that I was melting.

“You’re sweating,” my second eldest brother pointed out as he pressed the back of his hand to my forehead.

I kept thinking I was a small snowball. Melting melting melting… But I still felt cold against their hands.
...