Announcements

• Our Wednesday Words pick for the week is The Beauty of a Writer by rainbow (Sri Lanka)! She reads it here.
  • Starting this month, our Community Ambassadors will take turns spotlighting a great peer review on the site as part of our Community Ambassador Peer Review Pick. Be sure to get your peer reviews in to be considered!
  • Our Nature & Environmental Poetry Competition is now open! This month, honor the planet we call home by writing an original poem about what you know and love from the natural world. It’s open to anyone ages 13-18, from anywhere in the world! Entries are due October 19. The winner, runner up, and winner of best peer review receive cash prizes! Learn more here.

Our prizes this month are generously sponsored by High Mountain Institute! Ambitious, motivated students attend the High Mountain Institute to connect with nature, develop as leaders and critical thinkers, and discover learning at its best. Students spend time living on campus and in the backcountry of Colorado and Utah. When nature and minds meet, extraordinary academic and personal achievement follows. Learn more about them here

We welcome marketing support from River of Words®! River of Words (ROW) is a program of The Center for Environmental Literacy and a part of the Saint Mary's College of California Kalmanovitz School of Education. Acknowledged pioneers in the field of place-based education, River of Words has been inspiring educators and students for over twenty five years with an innovative blend of science and the arts. To learn more about how to submit your environmental writing to the River of Words competition, please visit the ROW website here.

• CONGRATS to the winners of our Film/TV Series Review Competition! Discover Guest Judge Mat Kesting’s winning picks and commentary here. And many thanks to all who entered!
  • This week's Writer Pick is "She'll Reach for the Stars" by Klue (Australia), nominated by thebookishfey (Canada) for its demonstration of how to "expand a simple phrase into a descriptive, evocative poem" as well as for "telling a well-rounded story with character development and the sense of setting in a short poem."

Nominate a piece for Writer Pick here!