How it Works - For Young Writers

Welcome to Write the World!

We’re a community of young writers (ages 13-18), hailing from over 80 countries.

Join our global platform, and...

Explore our ever-changing library of prompts as you establish a regular writing practice and expand your repertoire of styles, all while building your portfolio of polished work.

See your writing improve as you find your own voice. Enter competitions for the chance to receive feedback from authors, writing teachers, and other experts in the field.

Writing is a social act. Share your work with a vibrant, global community, and exchange feedback with writers from all over the world.

Earn badges along the way as you build your writing portfolio.

Sign Up   

Writing Prompts

Spark your writing to life!

When you’re at a loss for an idea or feeling uninspired, a prompt magically opens new doors.

How it works prompts

Write away writer’s block, push beyond your comfort zone, experiment with topics and styles—from flash fiction to memoir, opinions to poems, essays to tweets.

Go to Prompts

Competitions

Each month Write the World holds a new competition, developed around a particular idea or genre of writing, such as poetry, fantasy, sports journalism, or flash fiction. Competitions encourage you to dig deeper into the writing process, try out new genres and share your work with a sea of eager readers.

And because a first draft is never perfect, you have the chance to receive peer and expert feedback before submitting your final piece. Here's how competitions work:

How it works diagram

What’s Different About Write the World Competitions?

• Free Entry and Cash Prizes: The winning entrant receives $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer receive $50.
  • Professional Recognition: All three winners will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.
  • Expert Review: Submit a draft in the first week and get feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and education professionals.

View our current, past, and upcoming competitions here.

Writing is a social activity.

The best writers draft and redraft their work—often based on the feedback they receive from their writing community. At Write the World, this is what creates connection from one side of the globe to the other. By giving peer feedback, we encourage each other to keep at it! Expressing ourselves through the written word is so much easier (and fun) when we have eager readers telling us what’s working well, and where we might strengthen our craft.

In this peer review, you can see that a young writer is giving her peer feedback by:

• Highlighting and commenting on specific elements of the text.
  • Responding to peer review questions (in the right column).
Peer review screenshot2

How to Write a 5-Star Review (and take feedback in stride).

Groups

Write Together - Join a Writing Group

Do you have a particular interest in crafting a story in a single sentence, writing in rhyme, or putting life experience on the page? Join one of Write the World's Groups and connect with other young writers who share your passion.

Group shot

Go to Groups

Please note that, unless otherwise stated, group managers are not affiliated with Write the World. Please report any offensive or dubious material to Write the World immediately via hello@writetheworld.com or Flag the piece within the website. Please exercise usual internet safety precautions regarding privacy and personal information. Remember that people using the internet are not always who they say they are. For further details on internet safety go to: http://www.childnet.com/young-people/secondary

WORDS ARE POWERFUL. In joining the Write the World community and publishing on the platform, you are responsible for your words. Check out our Writing Guidelines for further details.