How it Works - For Educators

Welcome to Write the World! We offer a range of tools and resources to help you create a vibrant writing community within your classroom. As educators ourselves, we understand the exciting (and challenging) task of engaging young people in the writing process. We also understand how little time teachers have when it comes to finding fresh material, developing resources, and implementing creative writing into an already packed curriculum. We’re here to help.

Girl typing

Walt Whitman said, 'To have great poets, there must be great audiences, too.' Write the World encourages my students to carefully consider not only what and how they write, but the universality of what they feel. Suddenly, their audience is global. But in equal measure they are part of a global community of readers. This shift has had a profound impact on the way in which they understand and communicate their shared humanity.

Glenn Manning, High School English Teacher

Create your own model…

We realize that young writers write best when they’re connected with a community and feel supported by a smaller, familiar group. At Write the World you can give your students both. An ideal platform for blended learning or a flipped-classroom, Write the World can be integrated into your classroom in many ways:

START YOUR OWN WRITING GROUP

Use the Write the World platform to create a private writing group for your class, school, district, or community. By limiting membership and tailoring curriculum, a private group allows you to connect personally with students as you mentor them through the writing process. As the Group Manager, you can create prompts, rubrics, and resources for all types of writing and subject areas. In addition, you can design assignments and assessments, facilitate peer review, and access your students’ work through individual portfolios.

Learn More     Request a Group

INTEGRATE OUR GLOBAL PLATFORM INTO YOUR CURRICULUM

Connect your classroom to a global community of young writers. With members representing over 80 countries, Write the World offers your students the excitement and vibrancy of writing for a “real” audience, beyond the walls of a classroom. As Write the World members, your students can enter monthly competitions, exchange peer reviews with writers from all around the world, and respond to our weekly prompts. Access our suite of resources, and utilize the platform’s publishing and portfolio tools—all while incorporating prompts, competitions, and peer review into your curriculum.

Sign Up

Click in the header for frequently asked questions and more information. To request a personal demo of Write the World, contact us at hello@writetheworld.com.

Writing Prompts

Our writing prompts encourage students to experiment with an array of techniques and styles—from op-eds to poems, flash fiction to memoir, college essays to research papers. We’re always reading work from international, contemporary, and classical authors to bring diverse voices to the ears of your students. By drawing on rich examples from the field, we show young writers that they are entering an exciting (and worthy!) literary tradition, a community that spans time, place, and age.

How it works prompts
Go to Prompts

Writing Competitions

Each month Write the World holds a new competition, developed around a particular writing genre and with its own set of guidelines and resources. Competitions encourage participants to dig deeper into the writing process, broadening students’ writing horizons and expanding their writing community beyond classroom walls.

When entering competitions, students have the opportunity to receive peer and expert feedback before submitting their final piece. Here's how competitions work:

How it works diagram

What’s Different About Write the World Competitions?

• They’re free! Young writers enter with no entry fees.
  • Prizes: The winning entrant will receive $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer will receive $50.
  • Professional Recognition: The winning entry, plus the runner-up and best peer review, will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.
  • Expert Review: Young writers who submit their draft within the first week will receive feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and education professionals
  • Peer Review: Young writers exchange feedback on their drafts at any point in the process.

View our current, past, and upcoming competitions here.

We’re here to help you establish a culture of peer review in the classroom. The best writers draft and redraft their work—often based on the feedback they receive from their writing community—and we believe the exchange of feedback between students can be one of the best tools for developing a vibrant writing culture in the classroom. Whether your past experience with peer review has made you an enthusiast or critic (or somewhere in between), we think you’ll find peer reviewing on the Write the World platform to be a valuable addition to any writing project. Guided by peer review questions tailored to each prompt, students comment on one another’s work, offering encouragement, advice, and questions.

By engaging in peer review, writers:

• Get valuable feedback
  • Share work with a wide audience
  • Gain fresh perspectives and develop insight into their own writing process
  • Critically engage with the work of others
  • Make connections with others in the Write the World community

In this peer review, you can see that a student is giving her peer feedback by:

• Highlighting and commenting on specific elements of the text.
  • Responding to peer review questions (in the right column) that are customized for each prompt and designed to incite both critical thinking and encouragement.

Peer review screenshot2

We encourage students to review How to Write a 5-Star Review (and take feedback in stride).

Expert Review and Rubrics

Expert Review allows you to give comprehensive, rubric-based feedback to your students. Unlike peer reviews, which can be written for any published piece of writing (and can be read by the wider community), expert reviews are privately exchanged on submitted drafts. The reviews are structured according to the rubric, and are designed to enhance the student’s understanding of the writing process through qualitative feedback.

In the example below, the student receives highlighted comments from the expert reviewer (within the text), as well as feedback in the right column for each category of the rubric:

Expert review example

Rubrics

As the manager of your own writing group, you can draw on any of our rubrics or create your own to help guide the writing and reviewing process within your classroom. Write the World rubrics are designed to promote deeper student reflection, and to offer a tool for formative assessment. Created around specific writing assignments, the levels within each rubric are genre specific. All of Write the World’s rubrics are entirely adaptable. Depending on your needs, you can utilize our rubrics in their current form, or change the criteria and/or performance levels.

In the sample rubric below, you can see the performance levels for one of the criteria (“Ideas and Content”):

Rubric example

Start a Writing Group

By starting a private writing group, you can:

• Create Content: Select from our collection of prompts or create your own assignments, including daily exercises, formal assessments, and projects that support your curriculum goals.
  • Give Feedback: Design your own rubrics or use one from our collection to offer students qualitative feedback through expert review
  • Manage Peer Reviews: Design peer review questions to scaffold the feedback process, and monitor the exchange of reviews between your students.
  • Chart progress. Access your students’ full drafting and revision process, while observing their long-term growth through their writing portfolios.

Group shot

Go to Groups     Request a Group

Please note that, unless otherwise stated, group managers are not affiliated with Write the World. Please report any offensive or dubious material to Write the World immediately via hello@writetheworld.com or Flag the piece within the website. Please exercise usual internet safety precautions regarding privacy and personal information. Remember that people using the internet are not always who they say they are. For further details on internet safety go to: http://www.childnet.com/young-people/secondary

Read what people are saying about Write the World

WORDS ARE POWERFUL. When joining the Write the World community, students are directed to our Writing Guidelines for details on publishing on the platform.