Write the world   novel writing competition 2018
Open

Novel Writing Competition 2018

Fiction — Create a new world.

November is National Novel Writing month! For this competition, Grub Street and Write the World have joined forces to offer a novel challenge. Have you ever wanted to assume another identity? Live through a historical event? Explore the Arctic Circle? Writing a novel is about personally inhabiting the world of your characters, no matter how different from your own reality. But a rich and convincing narrative also requires looking inward—drawing upon your own experience and interior life to find elements of the human condition that you can offer to your fictional characters. 

Join us in the honorable pursuit of novel writing and submit an excerpt for our joint competition. As you immerse yourself in the writing process, be sure to reference these guidelines and tips: 

CHARACTER 
Novels hinge on well-developed characters. All the rest of it—the plot, the setting, the language—mean little if the reader doesn’t experience the fictional world through a character that feels real and relatable. The reader must detect a beating heart—feel that human connection—to care about the rest of the story. “When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters”, Ernest Hemingway wrote. So how, as writers, do we pull this off? How do we bring forth characters from our imagination that feel, to the reader, like “living people”?
  1. Make your characters three dimensional.  Rather than thinking of your characters as either “good” or “bad,” or protagonists or antagonists, consider every character to have both flaws and gifts… just like real people… just like you and me.
  2. Give your characters idiosyncrasies. Does your character have a habit of pulling on his beard when he’s nervous? Does she absent-mindedly feed the cat morsels off her own plate? Particular details not only reveal personality, but they also make a character come to life.
  3. Reveal internal and external worlds. Sometimes, particularly if the events in the narrative are exciting, it’s easy to forget that what’s happening outside of the character is only half the story. The inner world can be just as rich and just as telling, if not more so. What is your character thinking? Imagining? Feeling? What are they worried about? Preoccupied by? What do they wish for? 
You can find more excellent character tips in our Ask Michael blog post. 

PLOT 
At its most basic level, the plot refers to the sequence of events that make up the story you’re telling in your novel. But the writer is not simply recording every experience a character had in chronological order. Instead, writes Janet Burroway, “a plot is a series of events deliberately arranged so as to reveal their dramatic, thematic, and emotional significance.” In other words, it’s up to you to pick and choose what happens in the life you’re imagining, what pieces to include in your novel, and in what order. You’ve likely heard of the narrative arc: the progression of a story as it moves from introduction to inciting incident (the first hint of a problem) to rising action to climax to falling action to resolution. Well, this one-size-fits-all sequence makes it seem like all novels follow the same path. Not true! We much prefer NaNoWriMo’s metaphor of a rollercoaster: “As you probably know, not all rollercoasters have the same track. They all have different hills and drops, twists and turns, and loops and tunnels. The same goes for novels.... Sometimes they begin with the inciting incident or work backwards from the resolution to the beginning. Novels are filled with flashbacks, flash-forwards, and unexpected plot twists.” 

SETTING 
For almost all fiction, a sense of setting helps the reader enter the narrative. With the first few words of the novel, the reader begins to form a mental picture—who the characters are, how they sound, where they are. The details of place allow the reader to imagine the characters in action. How convincingly a writer captures a place is also one of the ways that she builds credibility with the reader. Do your research: If your story takes place on the coast of Ecuador, know the names of the trees, which snakes worry the farmers, and when the wet season sweeps in. The intimate details of a place convince the reader of the story’s legitimacy. Setting can also provide access to the emotional undercurrents of the narrative. This is because defining place is not simply writing down descriptions of mountains or seacoasts, trees, sky, horizons. The language the writer chooses is important for mood, pace, and temperament. For instance, a description of place can be gloomy and flat or buoyant and loud. Each of these adjectives describes a mood which the reader internalizes as the story goes along. (This is called the objective correlative.) And one more thought, dear writers: because we are a global community, your readership is global, too! This means your setting doesn’t need to be “exotic” to be interesting. In fact, describing the seemingly mundane could be quite otherworldly to one of your readers. Dogwood stems turning neon orange in winter! A river the color of chocolate milk! Sand storms in August!

FINAL WORD 
Dear writers, we won’t pretend otherwise: writing a novel is hard work. It's a long, arduous road from beginning to end, which is why novel writers need all the camaraderie and inspiration they can get. And that means helping each other when the going gets tough—reaching through cyberspace and offering a kind word or helpful suggestion on an early draft. “Writing is better when it’s together”, we like to say. If you’re looking for a review, someone else is too…pay it forward!  

Who is Eligible?  
Young writers ages 13-18  

Length  
600 – 1,000 words

Guest Judge
Annabel Monaghan 

Annabel Monaghan is the author of two novels for young adults, A Girl Named Digit and Double Digit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012, 2014). She is also the author of Does This Volvo Make My Butt Look Big? (Fischer Press 2016), a collection of essays based on her column that appears on the Huffington Post, The Week and The Rye Record. Annabel is also co-author ofClick! The Girls Guide to Knowing What You Want and Making it Happen (Simon and Schuster 2007). She graduated with a BA in English from Duke University and an MBA in Finance from The Wharton School at The University of Pennsylvania. She teaches novel writing at The Writing Institute at Sarah Lawrence College and lives in Rye, New York with her husband and three sons. 

Prizes 
Best Entry: $100 (winning piece + author interview will be featured on Write the World’s website and blog) 
Runner up: $50 
Best Peer Review: $50 (reviewer interview will be featured on Write the World’s website and blog) 

What’s Different about Write the World Competitions? 

Prizes: The winning entrant(s) will receive $100, and the best peer-reviewer will receive $50.       
Professional Recognition: The winning entry, plus the runner-up and best peer review, will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.       
Expert Review: Submit your draft by Monday November 12th and get feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and educational professionals.   

Key Dates 
November 5: Competition Opens  
November 12: Submit draft for Expert Review (Optional. We will review the first 100 drafts submitted.)      
November 16: Reviews returned to Writers  
November 20: Final Submissions Due
November 30: Winners Announced  

Upcoming Competition
Our My December Competition opens Monday, November 26.
Stay tuned for more details!  

Due Dates
  • Nov 12 - Drafts Due to Expert Reviewers

• Nov 20 - Competition Deadline

Resources

November Spotlight: Reading Like a Novelist

Think back on the novels that most impact you. How do they make you feel? Happy? Full of regret? Angry? Inspired? In all cases, the key element is that the novels you carry with you make you feel. How do they do this? We might make the mistake of writing qualities like these off as some sort of “genius”–that some quality in you makes you capable of such writing. But there are ways to study emotional craft in novels we love. Read more from our resident blogger, Lisa Hiton on the Write the World Blog.

Check it out here