Judging

Song Writing Competition 2022

LYRICS — Strike a chord.

Song Writing Competition 2022
LYRICS: Strike a chord.
Since the early utterances of human language, we’ve been putting words to music—belting anthems of change, humming hymns of hope, crooning lyrics of love. Songs can tell stories, evoke emotion, even deliver lessons. Before the written word, songs served as an historical record, passing information down through the generations. And, we now know that music stimulates more corners of the brain than any other activity, firing even those neurons damaged by stroke or disease. This month, write a song of your own—and record it if you’d like! We’ll select a winner for best lyrics and best performance. 

Song Writing Guidelines

LET FEELINGS PERCOLATE. “Music is the shorthand of emotion,” wrote Leo Tolstoy. And WtW member Danielle Salt had this to say about the art form: “Music is the words left unspoken, the tears never fallen, the thoughts unconscious. The grief never grieved, the loss never found… It’s sunshine on a quiet morning… water on parched ground… the first notes of love… the requiem of hope. The quavering wishes, hidden away. Life burning bright.” Music is emotional, dear writers. That’s why a song can transport us back to a specific time and place, it can remind us of someone special, and can make sense of something for us when nothing else can. So as you consider what to write about, let your own feelings surface; use them as fuel.

WRITE WHAT YOU KNOW. You might think your own experience isn’t interesting—but have faith that to someone else, your perspective is unique, enthralling, song-worthy! Writing about what you know gives an authenticity to your song that allows listeners to connect with its message.

LESS IS MORE. Songs sit between narrative and poetry. It’s easy to get tied up in wanting to say too much. Work out what it is you want to convey—a message, a feeling, a story—and then say it concisely. Usually less is more.

RHYTHM OVER RHYME. Strive for a rhythm that works rather than forcing a rhyming scheme. Rhythm is what reels in a listener, keeping them humming your tune long after the last note.

READ LYRICS ALOUD. Read (or even better, sing!) your draft aloud throughout the writing process and check for flow. Your song should have a regular beat. Music needs to have a pulse! That doesn’t mean you can’t stray now and then but that should be the exception rather than the rule.

SING, STRUM, HUM, WRITE. REPEAT. Because good songs involve much more than just words on paper, take time during the writing process to sing, hum, or strum along to your lyrics. You might find that what seemed like a great refrain is actually a little clunky, or that the chorus doesn’t sound as catchy when sung. Make changes, and then start humming again.

CUT UP, TAKE OUT, AND REARRANGE. Perhaps that verse would work better as a bridge? Or that riff would sound better at the very end? Perhaps the rhyme, though clever, takes away from the meaning you want to convey? Try moving around parts and pieces of your song to see whether a new arrangement improves the effect you’re going for. And remember, less is more so if in doubt, take it out!

LET A DRAFT REST. Like any writing process, songs can benefit from pressing pause. When you get to a stopping point or feel stuck, walk away from your draft! Take a walk or chat to a friend… leave your song behind. You’ll find that after a break, you’ll be able to hear your song through fresh ears.

HOW TO RECORD AND SUBMIT A VIDEO FILE (OPTIONAL). This month, we'll award a prize for the the best lyrics and best original song performance. If you’d like to create an audio/video version, you may use any platform of your choice—simply copy the link within the text of your submission. Some options to consider:  Please note that these are public platforms and are not affiliated with WtW. If you need assistance getting started, please contact hello@writetheworld.com.  

Who is Eligible?  
Young writers ages 13-18  

Length  
50-500 words

Guest Judge: Magou Samb
Multi-instrumentalist and singer-songwriter Magou Samb was born in Senegal, in Ngor, a fishermen’s village at the western tip of Dakar, at the western tip of Africa. For over ten years, he performed on stage with his band “The Dakar Transit”. Spotted by Network record company (Oumou Sangare, Desert Blues) he flew to Germany to record his first album "Africa Yewul" (Africa, wake up), released by Harmonia Mundi. Magou’s latest album, “Dom Adama”, is out now.

Prizes 
  • Best Entries (Best Lyrics and Best Performance): $100 (Our guest judge’s commentary on the winning pieces, and an interview with the songwriters will be featured on Write the World’s blog) 
  • Runner up: $50 (Our guest judge’s commentary on the piece will be featured on Write the World’s blog)
  • Best Peer Review: $50 (Our guest judge’s commentary on the best peer review and an interview with the reviewer will be featured on Write the World’s blog)     

What’s Different about Write the World Competitions? 
  • Prizes: The winning entrants will receive $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer will receive $50.       
  • Professional Recognition: The winning entries, plus the runner-up and best peer review, will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.       
  • Expert Review: Submit your draft by Monday, January 10, and get feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and educational professionals.  

Key Dates 
  • January 3: Competition Opens  
  • January 10: Submit draft for Expert Review (Optional. We will review the first 100 drafts submitted.)      
  • January 14: Reviews returned to Writers  
  • January 18: Final Submissions Due
  • January 28: Winners Announced  

WtW Workshops!
Looking to take your writing skills to the next level while learning from professional authors, poets, and educators? Check out Write the World's Global Writing Workshops program here.
Upcoming Competition
Our Writing for Children Competition opens Monday, February 7th.
Stay tuned for more details!  
Is previously published work eligible?
Our monthly competitions are designed to get you writing across a range of genres throughout the year, so we encourage you to  write a new work for each  competition, but we will also accept work that has been previously shared with a small, local audience (for instance, a piece that was published in a school journal).
How to Enter 
  1. If you haven’t yet, sign up for a free account for Write the World as a young writer here
  2. Hit the “Start Writing” button above! 
  3. Draft your entry! Hit “Save” to return to it later. 
  4. The first 100 people to submit a draft will receive an in-depth review from one of our Expert Reviewers—authors, writing teachers, and educational professionals—that you can use to revise your final entry. The “Submit for Expert Review” button will be clickable if slots are still available—click it to have your draft reviewed. (Note: you can still enter the competition if you haven’t received or don’t want to receive an Expert Review!) 
  5. When you are ready to submit your entry, hit the "Submit as Final" button (You can revise, re-publish, and mark any version as your "final submission" until the deadline.)
  6. Only one entry per person, please. 

Writing Guidelines
The power of our writing goes hand in hand with responsibility. Make sure that you’re supporting other people through your writing rather than pulling them down. The types of content that will be removed from the site include, but are not limited to:   
  • Anything that may be deemed hurtful, defamatory or discriminatory in nature.
  • Anything deemed explicit or gratuitously violent.
  • Anything referencing self-harm. 
  • Any commercial posts and/or spam. 
  • Plagiarism (see more at our Writing Guidelines page). 
  • Personal contact information—including usernames on social media or other platforms. This is to protect the privacy of our members.
  • Links to any external websites, with the exception of links to citations as part of an essay, or including links to illustrations or audio as part of a Write the World competition or prompt.
If a writer posts content that violates our terms or goes against our guidelines, we will remove the post and contact the writer when necessary.  Please refer to our Writing Guidelines and site’s terms for further information.

*Note*
All final submissions will automatically be published on Write the World’s website.

Due Dates
  • Jan 10 - Drafts Due for Expert Review

• Jan 18 - Competition Deadline

Resources

Q&A with Song Writing Competition Guest Judge Magou Samb

Singer-songwriter-musician Magou Samb credits his international music career to growing up in the musically-immersive environment of Dakar, Senegal. “When a baby is born, you play music; the day you die, you play music,” he says. “As music is so integral to my culture, it comes very naturally.” So it’s no surprise that his advice for young writers entering our Song Writing Competition, whether they are submitting lyrics or lyrics and a recorded performance, is to create your own musically-rich world: “Take the time to really listen to music. When you truly listen to music, you will become a better songwriter.” 

Get additional tips, plus learn about Magou’s background, why nature plays such an important role in his music, and more!

Get Tips!