Winners Announced

Science Fiction Competition 2021

SHORT STORY — An imagined future.

Can you envision a future dramatically changed by technology, the environment, or a new social order? This month, transport us to your distorted world. You might write about artificial life, unexpected encounters, novel societies, or cli-fi (climate fiction) utopian or dystopian futures. In a short story, conjure a reality that no one else has dreamed of, and transform our vision of tomorrow’s world.

What exactly is science fiction? Unlike the genre of fantasy, with its unbounded arena of dragons and dementors, science fiction unfolds from the premise of possibility. As the Australian writer Nicola Alter puts it, sci-fi “shows us something that might be possible, through advances in science or technology, or the occurrence of certain events, but isn’t currently a reality.” It might not be likely that humans will move to underwater cities to escape a warming climate, but we don’t have to exit our universe or ignore natural laws to imagine this scenario. A useful way to think about this genre is to consider our world in its current state, and then ask, “What If”?
  • What if everyone had a tracking device planted in their pinky finger?
  • What if all of Earth warmed to the point of inhabitability, except the tops of mountain peaks?
  • What if only left-handed people could rule nations?
All of these scenarios are endlessly fascinating to conjure and develop. And all are thought experiments that stretch our understanding of social order, the environment, and/or technology. In this way, science fiction is not only entertaining, but it can also serve to make a political or social statement about current events and where we may head if we don’t change our ways—what George Orwell did with 1984, for example, or Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World. The American sci-fi writer Pamela Sargent referred to this genre as “the literature of ideas”. What happens when humans encounter change? And what bearing might this fiction have on our species as we continue to spin into the future? 

Guidelines

FIND YOUR PREMISE. A great sci-fi story springs from a new take on the “What if?” question. Let your mind wander in order to find fresh territory. Rather than writing about the first topic that comes to mind (alien invasion!), try writing a list of ten “What if?” scenarios, and then dive into the one that feels most compelling to you.  And remember, although science fiction can be dystopian, it doesn't have to be. We'd love to see new narrative ideas at play!

DREAM UP YOUR SETTING: As your narrative takes shape, you’ll likely find yourself looking at the world through a new lens. How does your premise shape physical reality? Make the setting of your piece as real for your readers as it is for you. What does this altered reality look like? What sounds does your protagonist hear as she falls asleep at night? Are there seasons? Weather? Remember that setting has three elements: time, place, and mood. Consider the geography, certainly, but also think about what time in the future this story takes place, and how details of setting can create a sense of mood for the reader.

DO YOUR RESEARCH: After you’ve decided on a premise and a setting, dig into a little research to make your imagined world as realistic as possible. If the narrator of your dystopian tale no longer has access to cooking fuel, how might he light a fire in the forest? If the remaining humans post apocalypse must migrate to the sea to survive, how long would it take to walk from Johannesburg or New Delhi to the closest coastline?

KNOW YOUR CHARACTERS: As with any piece of fiction, sci-fi narratives hinge on well-developed characters. All the rest of it—the plot, the setting, the language—mean little if the reader doesn’t experience the fictional world through a character that feels real and relatable. Here are three quick tips to help you develop your main characters:
  1. Strive for three-dimensionality. Real people have both flaws and gifts, so give your characters both. And remember that sometimes they’re one in the same! Perhaps your protagonist’s optimistic nature, for example, also makes her overly trusting.
  2. Give your characters idiosyncrasies. Does your protagonist have a habit of telling jokes in the tensest of moments, or does she go taciturn? Does he do his best thinking when he’s up in a tree, or down in the basement? Particular details reveal personality and bring a character to life.
  3. Reveal internal and external worlds. Sometimes, particularly if the events in the narrative are exciting, it’s easy to forget that what’s happening outside of the character is only half the story. The inner world can be just as rich and just as telling, if not more so. What is your character thinking? Imagining? Feeling? What are they worried about? Preoccupied by? What do they wish for? 

Who is Eligible?  
Young writers ages 13-18  

Length  
600 – 1,000 words

Guest Judge
Amie Kaufman is a New York Times and internationally bestselling author of young adult fiction. Her multi-award winning work has been described as “a game-changer” (Shelf Awareness), “stylistically mesmerising” (Publishers Weekly) and “out-of-this-world awesome” (Kirkus). Her series include The Illuminae Files, The Aurora Cycle, the Other Side of the Sky duology, The Starbound Trilogy, the Unearthed duology and The Elementals Trilogy. Her work is in development for film and TV, and has taken home multiple Aurealis Awards, an ABIA, a Gold Inky, made multiple best-of lists and been shortlisted for the Prime Minister’s Literary Awards. Raised in Australia and occasionally Ireland, Amie has degrees in history, literature, law and conflict resolution, and is currently undertaking a PhD in Creative Writing.

Prizes 
  • Best Entry: $100 (Our guest judge’s commentary on the winning piece, and an interview with the author will be featured on Write the World’s blog) 
  • Runner up: $50 (Our guest judge’s commentary on the piece will be featured on Write the World’s blog)
  • Best Peer Review: $50 (Our guest judge’s commentary on the best peer review and an interview with the reviewer will be featured on Write the World’s blog)     

What’s Different about Write the World Competitions? 
  • Prizes: The winning entrant will receive $100, and the runner-up and best peer-reviewer will receive $50.       
  • Professional Recognition: The winning entry, plus the runner-up and best peer review, will be featured on our blog, with commentary from our guest judge.       
  • Expert Review: Submit your draft by Monday, June 14, and get feedback from our team of experts—authors, writing teachers, and educational professionals.  

Key Dates 
  • June 7: Competition Opens  
  • June 14: Submit draft for Expert Review (Optional. We will review the first 100 drafts submitted.)      
  • June 18: Reviews returned to Writers  
  • June 22: Final Submissions Due
  • July 2: Winners Announced  

WtW Camps and Workshops!
Eager to dive deeper into science fiction and fantasy writing, or perhaps flash fiction? This July and August, take your writing skills to the next level by participating in Write the World's virtual writing camps taught by professional authors, editors, and educators—including former Guest Judges! Learn more and register here.

Upcoming Competition
Our Sports Writing Competition opens Monday, July 5th.
Stay tuned for more details!  

Is previously published work eligible?
Our monthly competitions are designed to get you writing across a range of genres throughout the year, so we encourage you to  write a new work for each  competition, but we will also accept work that has been previously shared with a small, local audience (for instance, a piece that was published in a school journal).

How to Enter 
  1. If you haven’t yet, sign up for a free account for Write the World as a young writer here
  2. Hit the “Start Writing” button above! 
  3. Draft your entry! Hit “Save” to return to it later. 
  4. The first 100 people to submit a draft will receive an in-depth review from one of our Expert Reviewers—authors, writing teachers, and educational professionals—that you can use to revise your final entry. The “Submit for Expert Review” button will be clickable if slots are still available—click it to have your draft reviewed. (Note: you can still enter the competition if you haven’t received or don’t want to receive an Expert Review!) 
  5. When you are ready to submit your entry, hit the "Submit as Final" button (You can revise, re-publish, and mark any version as your "final submission" until the deadline.)
  6. Only one entry per person, please. 

Writing Guidelines
The power of our writing goes hand in hand with responsibility. Make sure that you’re supporting other people through your writing rather than pulling them down. The types of content that will be removed from the site include, but are not limited to:   
  • Anything that may be deemed hurtful, defamatory or discriminatory in nature.
  • Anything deemed explicit or gratuitously violent.
  • Anything referencing self-harm. 
  • Any commercial posts and/or spam. 
  • Plagiarism (see more at our Writing Guidelines page). 
  • Personal contact information—including usernames on social media or other platforms. This is to protect the privacy of our members.
  • Links to any external websites, with the exception of links to citations as part of an essay, or including links to illustrations or audio as part of a Write the World competition or prompt.
If a writer posts content that violates our terms or goes against our guidelines, we will remove the post and contact the writer when necessary.  Please refer to our Writing Guidelines and site’s terms for further information.

*Note*
All final submissions will automatically be published on Write the World’s website.

Due Dates
  • Jun 14 - Drafts Due for Expert Review

• Jun 22 - Competition Deadline

Resources

Meet Best Peer Review Winner Eloise Burger!

There is often a false dichotomy of fan versus critic—the fan is there to enjoy, and the critic is there to provide negative feedback. But Best Peer Review winner, Eloise Burger, reminds us that the best critics are actually fans! “Allowing yourself to get fully absorbed in a piece before you start critiquing allows you to pick out the good things more easily,” she says. “If you visualise your intention as an editor as ‘I am here to criticise, not to enjoy the writing,’ you’ll miss out on the best parts of the work.” 

Read on to get more of Eloise’s great tips on peer reviewing and writing, plus her book recommendation! 

Read More!

Meet Science Fiction Competition Winner Zara Vale!

At Write the World, we firmly believe that no matter how much you plan and outline a piece, you don’t truly know what you want to say or how to say it until you start putting the words down on the page. Science Fiction Competition winner Zara Vale (Australia) perfectly illustrates our point: his impressive use of second-person narration in his prize-winning piece was discovered through the writing process. “I started writing the piece once I had a concept for the overall story,” he explains, “but I had to keep hitting backspace because something didn’t feel right … I thought that second person would be fun to experiment with.” 

We talk to Zara about the inspiration for his piece, his tips for worldbuilding within a word limit, and his writing goals for the rest of the year! 

Read More!

Science Fiction Competition Winners Announced!

From a destructive memory drive to a disappearing city, from a world behind screens to a mutant on the run, your entries for our Science Fiction Competition offered distorted realities and new visions. Thank you for plumbing the depths of your imaginations to take us out of this world!

See Guest Judge Amie Kaufman’s winning picks, as well as the finalists!

See the Winners!

Q&A with Science Fiction Competition Guest Judge Amie Kaufman

Writing a short story that takes place in our world is tricky enough, but when you’re trying to build a brand new world within 1,000 words for our Science Fiction Competition, you have an extra challenge on your hands! Luckily, our Guest Judge Amie Kaufman, the New York Times bestselling author of YA Science Fiction, has great advice for worldbuilding with brevity: “Resist the urge to explain everything to the reader. You can trust them to make some leaps, and it’s okay if they don’t know all the details about your world.”

Learn more about Amie’s journey as a sci-fi author and get more great tips for your competition entry! 

Read More!